Upgrading from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0.2

We are running SQLA5505 and now want to upgrade to ASA702. For we have
several stored procedures that we were not able to unload and reload, we
thought of doing the upgrading process slowly, step by step:
1st, running the old database file under dbeng7.exe,
2nd, upgrading the old database file to level 7,
3rd, reloading the database file to complete level 7 features.
But at this point, there startet a discussion, what features we can use in
what level, so my question is:
What features of Sybase 7 can we use, if we do that stepts? What can we do
with no uprading, what needs an upgrade, and what features need a complete
reload?

0
Markus

I cannot provide a complete list, or documentation, but here is what I know:

You need to run dbupgrad  in order  to use the events feature, and to provide access to the many new
stored procedures such as sa_locks and sa_server_options.  You could get the full list by comparing
the contents of the sysprocedures table from a sa5 db to a asa7 db, selecting only the system-owned
procedures.  Also, you'll get the remote tables feature.

You need to rebuild the database in order to take advantage of the new foreign key index structure,
the HASH SIZE option, and (I think) the new storage method for long varchar/blob values.

There must be other things, but that's all that comes to mind right now.

>We are running SQLA5505 and now want to upgrade to ASA702. For we have
>several stored procedures that we were not able to unload and reload, we
>thought of doing the upgrading process slowly, step by step:
>1st, running the old database file under dbeng7.exe,
>2nd, upgrading the old database file to level 7,
>3rd, reloading the database file to complete level 7 features.
>But at this point, there startet a discussion, what features we can use in
>what level, so my question is:
>What features of Sybase 7 can we use, if we do that stepts? What can we do
>with no uprading, what needs an upgrade, and what features need a complete
>reload?

Leo Tohill - Team Sybase
>> Please post in newsgroup, not via email <<
Useful links:
Downloads: http://www.sybase.com/developer/mobile/
Submit Bug Reports: http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug
0
ltohill

Replication between SQL Server 11.0.2 and SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3
Does anyone know if exists some document with the details on Replication between Sybase SQL Server 11.0.2 and SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3 using Replication Server 11.0.3. I�m having some troubles with this configuration and I�m wondering if I�m doing something wrong. Thanks in advance. ...

Moving from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere 8.0
Dear Sirs/user group, We would like to upgrade the sybase SQL Anywhere from version 5.5.05 database to version 8. I am told that the table names we currently use and maybe the procedures and triggers names are too long; 28 and 16 characters respectively. That is the maximum name length allowed in version 8? If I upgrade and SQL 8 shortens the table names, will the procedures be updated to reflect the changes of the table names? Or will I have to do all the changes manually, going through each procedure with a fine tooth comb? Thanks in advance, Oded Szpiro oded@travelca...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere Studio 6.0
Is the upgrade from 5.5.05 to Studio 6.0 a simple incremental upgrade? Can I complete this upgrade without code changes? It depends on the code. Sorry to be vague but that's the truth. It is described in great detail in the Help for ASA 6... ===== ASA New Features and Upgrading Guide CHAPTER 6. Upgrading From SQL Anywhere to Adaptive Server Anywhere This chapter describes upgrade procedures for users of SQL Anywhere Versions 5.0 and 5.5, and users of Watcom SQL 4.0. ===== Most ordinary SQL commands (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) will NOT have to be changed at al...

help on updating database sql anywhere 5.0 to sql adaptive server 7.0
If anyone knows how to update db to adaptive server 7.0 You have two choices : 1) Run dbunload against your v5.0 database to generate a reload.sql and a series of .dat files that contain the data in the tables. You can use either the v7 dbunload or the v5 dbunload (unless the database participates in a replication, in which case the v7 dbunload should be used). Now, at v7, initialize a new database, and run dbisqlc to read the reload.sql file. This will re-create all the schema that existed in the old database and re-load all the data. You can discard the reload.sql and .dat file...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0
Hi All! I was just wondering if I can have both SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 databases on the same machine? I have two applications using two different databases, and using two different type of ODBC configuration setting. For some reason, when I installed the application which used MS SQL Server 7.0, my other application using SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 crashed or just doesn't work like it used to. I read somewhere that both SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 and MS SQL Server 7.0 can be on the same machine but I need some clarification. If I need to upgrade my SQL Anywhere 5....

SQL ANywhere 5.5.05 to ASA 7.0
Am I missing something. I installed ASA7.0 went into Sybase Central 4.0.0.290 and looked under utilities to find the upgrade database option and could not find anything. TPS >Am I missing something. I installed ASA7.0 went into Sybase Central >4.0.0.290 and looked under utilities to find the upgrade database option and >could not find anything. You are right, it's not there, but you can run it as a command-line utility DBUPGRAD. It is documented in the help. hth Leo Tohill - Team Sybase >> Please post in newsgroup, not via email << ...

Upgrade from SQL Anywhere 5.5 to ASA 7.0
We currently have dbs out in production created with SQL Anywhere 5.5 and we are still shipping our products with SQL Anywhere 5.5. Sybase will stop licensing 5.5 so we would like to upgrade to ASA 7.0. I was going through the utilities of ASA 7.0 (SQL Central) but I didn't see the option of 'Upgrade Database'. Furthermore, I tried to upgrade my DB using the upgrade utility from the DOS prompt, but I get errors when I try to run the DB with my PB 8.0 application. I found some migration instructions on the ASA ISQL help which suggested to do a full unload reload of the dat...

Upgrading SQL ANYWHERE 5.2 TO 5.5.04
I have a copy of SQL 5.2, for y2k compliance I upgraded to 5.5.04 with a patch from the internet. My server resides on an NT machine and I have 3 WIN95 clients and 1 NT Client. SQL works fine on server, NT client and 1 of the win95 machines, it did work on the other 2 win95 machines, but now I get messages like the following. Application Error: C:\SQLANY50\WIN32\DBCLIENT.EXE The Instruction at 0056fa9 referenced memory at 657361cb The memory could not be written Click on OK to terminate the application On clicking OK another error box appears: This program has performed an il...

Using SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 with DBRemote 5.5.05 on the Same Windows 2000 Server
Is it possible to use SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 with DBRemote 5.5.05 on the Same Windows 2000 Server? If so how do you upgrade just the DBRemote portion? Rich Edwards It's possible but I wouldn't suggest it. If you do want to do it, there are two options : 1) Read over the Client Application Deployment whitepaper (http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002363) and find out the minimum files required to run dbremote. Install the full 5505 software (with EBF just for good measure) on another machine and then copy over the required files to the machine running 5504 into a separate di...

How to upgrade my SQL anywhere 5.0 (16 users) to 5.5 ?
I use the SQL anywhere 5.0 for 16 concurrent users, How to upgrade to the version 5.5 I have in PB 6.5 ? Which files should I copy to the old SQL directory ? Thanks for help. -- Best regards, Ridwan Goldbase Technology Visit our Homepage : http://www.geocities.com/Wallstreet/Floor/5251/index.html http://members.tripod.com/goldbase http://members.xoom.com/goldbase http://www.ibi.co.id/goldbase/ * Check out the Y2K (Year 2000 Problems - Millenium Bugs) New product : The Kuan To' Blade (on shopping site) http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Floor/5251/sho...

Upgrading SQL Anywhere from 5.0 to 5.5.02 question
Can the SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 patch be applied to SQL Anywhere 5.0 directly or do I need to upgrade to 5.5.00 and then apply the 5.5.02 patch? (I need to reload a computer and am trying to save as many steps as possible.) Thanks! >Can the SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 patch be applied to SQL Anywhere >5.0 directly or do I need to upgrade to 5.5.00 and then apply the 5.5.02 You can apply the patch directly to any 5.x installation. Leo Tohill - Team Powersoft > Please post in newsgroup - I don't respond to email requests < Hello Leo, Can you please confirm ...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and Novell 5.0 #2
Hello. When a NetWare 5.0 server attempts to load SQL Anywhere 5.5.04, the server goes down. I understand from an on-line Sybase solved case that SQL Anywhere did not support NetWare 5.0 until build #1928. Since I have build #1867, the older build is probably the problem. Can anyone tell me how to obtain SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 build #1928, hopefully free of charge? What is an alternative solution? Thank you. Ron Sochanski Please disregard. This was posted in error. Please see new posting. Thank you. Ron Sochanski ...

Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 to SQL Anywhere 9.0
Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 environment? What error messages are you receiving? <fd1smith> wrote in message news:3f7839bd.7f74.846930886@sybase.com... > Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent > DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 > environment? ...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 with SQL Server 2000
I am having a problem starting a SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 engine on a Windows 2000 server already running Microsoft Server 2000. Does anyone know of any problems associated with running this configuration or why it isn't working. Perhaps you can clarify what specifically is happening? i.e., errors, specific behaviour, how you are starting the database, can it start if MS SQL Server is not running? -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 **************************************************************************** * Sign up today for your copy ...

Web resources about - Upgrading from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0.2 - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware - YouTube
If you're watching this video, you've probably seen the other videos that prove it is possible to upgrade from Windows 1.0 all the way to Windows ...

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Apple users face issues upgrading to iOS 9
Apple customers were facing issues while upgrading to iOS 9, which was released this morning in Australia, technology blog 9to5Mac reported. ...

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube