Unable to start Database Engine when Creating new Database

Have just installed SQL anywhere on Netware 4.  Am trying to create a new
database from my NT machine with Sybase Central.  At the point of creating
the database it says "Database not created" - "Unable to start Database
Engine".

I have connected to the sample database so it doesn't seem to be a network
problem.

Any suggestions would be very gratefully received by this beginner!

Thanks

Thomasina

0
Tom

You cannot create a database using the multiuser engine on Netware.
Create the database on your local machine with the standalone engine and
then move the database to the Netware drives.  The multiuser engine comes
with a license for a standalone engine.
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com

you're wrong:
Start the ISQL console on the NT machine, then type
CREATE DATABASE 'SYS:test.db' JAVA OFF JCONNECT OFF;

This will create a DB on the Novell volume. It works with ASA 6.0.2 at least

Matt

Jim Egan schrieb:

> You cannot create a database using the multiuser engine on Netware.
> Create the database on your local machine with the standalone engine and
> then move the database to the Netware drives.  The multiuser engine comes
> with a license for a standalone engine.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamPS]
> Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com
> Houston, TX

0
Matthias
6/29/1999 4:55:56 PM
I have not tried your method which sounds like it works.  But, in the
older versions you could not get a client to create a new database on the
Netware box.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com
Houston, TX
0
jegan

Unable to connect to database server: Unable to start database engine
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. However, here goes. I am using PB 7.0 I set up my database using the ODBC Data Source Administrator configuration for Adaptive Server Anywhere (System DSN). Then I created my profile. I tested the connection and it worked fine. Then I went to Jaguar Manager, created the Connection Cache using the database I just setup. I setup everything currectly including using the odbc32.dll (Driver Tab) I got this error when I pinged it: (error is taken from my aguar's srv.log file) May 24 10:06:32 2001: cm__odbc_error: ...

Creating new database (ASA Error -82:Unable to start specified database)- SQL Anywhere Studio v7.0
I reinstalled SQL Anywhere Studio 7.0 for the I don't know how manyith time and now I'm able to go into Sybase Central without error by starting the Network or Persnal Server Sample.... and I went into my properties and changed my TrueColor 32bit to TrueColor 24bit and I no longer have visual disturbances. Now when I follow the books that came along with Studio I'm unable to create a new database. I get "ASA Error -82:Unable to start specified database" and then I get +---------------------------------+ | Sybase Ce...

Unable to start database (ASA8-Create Database)
I'm working with ASA6,ASA7,ASA8 in the same PC. No problem while new DB creation with ASA 6 and 7 in Sybase Central. I'm getting "unable to start database" error message at the end of ASA8 Sybase Central create db wizard. I installed EBF 2285 for ASA 8.0.0 and it doesn't worked. (I'm working with the dbinit on the command promt for now.My OS=Win 2000 Proffessional) Oguz OZAN Consultant Sybase Turkey ozan@sybase.com.tr ...

Cant create new database / CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database master (error 262)
   I am using SQL express and Visual web developer on windows Vista. When I try to create a new database the following message appears.   CREATE DATABASE permission denied in database master (error 262) I log on to my computer as an administrator. Help appreciated  Prontonet       How do you login to sql server? Do you use sql authentication? If so, check the account you  login with has appropriate permissions. Or are you using windows authentication?----------------------------------------------Mark helpful posts as "Answer"Check...

-934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded to start database C:\FUELTAX\DATABASE\PCFTAX.DB
Our program which uses runtime engine for version 9 is getting the following error -934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded to start database. Does anyone know what might have happened. It was working fine for months and all of the sudden we are getting this error now. Thanks, Igor Vodo. This error is a result of the database server being at a lower version than the database file format. Something has changed in your environment. Do you have multiple installs of SQL Anywhere on your machine (for example ASA 9.0.1 and 9.0.2)? If s...

"SqlAnywhere (6.0)
I have recently installed SqlAnyWhere version 6.0 . Windows 95 platform.(IE 4.1 SP1) . When I try to create a new database I get the Message: " SQL error (-80) Unable to start database Engine . I'm unable to solve this problem - what should I do ? Check to make sure the ASA\Win32 directory is in the path. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com Houston, TX *********************************************************** Enterprise Applications in Your Future? JumpStar...

Database Painter Does not let me create SqlAnywhere Database
My PC was upgraded to Win NT 4.0 I am using PowerBuilder 6.5 When I open the database Painter I no longer have the option to create a SqlAnywhere database. The ODBC drivers are there and I can connect to existing SqlAnywhere databases. I did notice that I am not able to drop any tables from these dbs in the database painter. Any Info Appreciated. Bob Make sure that the file dbtl50t.dll exists in the sqlanywhere\win32 directory. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. Techwave 20002 www.sybase.com/techwave2002 Session E179 - Advanc...

Unable to create a new Database
Hi, Actually, i' trying to run a webService Client program using WebMatrix, but i need to create a SQL dtabase for running this application. While, I am trying to create new database, it's giving error message, could not access dadtbase,, What could be the reson.. Please help me,,, Thanks in Advance, HemsEarlier Response would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance, C U--Hems I just went through that and I found that if I left the value to 'local' in the Server textbox it allowed me to create a database, but if I changed the value to 'localhost' as suggested in the ...

Unable to start database engine
Hello, I just downloaded the evaluation copy of ASA. I'm waiting for the one I purchased to come in the mail. Any way, I installed it. But when I try to create a database it gives me the following message: SQL error (-80) -- Unable to start database engine. Question: Did I forget to do something? Thank you to any one who can help me get passed this issue. Hycel Taylor hyecl@mediaone.net ...

Unable to start database engine
I am a very new Sybase Central user (5.5.04). I am going through the DB replication tutorial found in chapter 27. As soon as I create the database (hq.db) using the Create Database Utility I get the error messages "Unable to start database engine" and "Database 'C:\TUTORIAL\HQ.DB' not created". Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong and how to fix it? Thanks. Jon Kilayko jkilayko@hydro.mb.ca ...

Unable to start database engine
I'm using PB7. I have an Adaptive Server Anywhere database that was converted from Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0. I created the DB profile for this database, using the easdemodb profile as a guide. As far as I can tell, all the settings are correct. I can connect to this database, if Adaptive Server Anywhere is already running. If it is not running however, I get the error message "Unable to start database engine". I looked at the datasource configuration in the ODBC control panel, and the database "Start Line" parameter is exactly the same as the one defined for...

Unable to create new database
I have SQL Anywhere Studio 6.0 installed on a Windows 2000, SP1 workstation. Right after install I tried to create a new database using Sybase Central and got "Unable to start database engine, SQLCode -80." After reboot I got a different error, although it still did not create a new database. Installed EBF 6.0.3 and then got "Error in file mksadb50.sql at line 245 with SQLCode -645." Tried dbinit and go the same thing. Tried installation on Windows 98 system and Sybase Central did not work but dbinit did. What's going on here? ----------- Joe Fischer ...

Unable to Start Database Engine
I am running PB6.0 and have created a SQL ANYWHERE 5 database with one table. When I close PB and start PB again, I am unable to connect to my database. I receive the following error: SQLSTATE=08001 [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Unable to connect to database server: unable to start database engine. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong. I've been unable to locate any info on the msg 08001. I appreciate your help. Bob McCrory bmccror@ect.enron.com Hi, Some thoughts: 1. is the sqlanywhere directory in your path (or misspelled) 2. can de server exe be fo...

getting started: Create a new database
Hello Editor : Web matrix create When I click the icon Date tab in the workspace window, we have not the New Item button. First : enter a name for then new database, example 'Orders" 2nd : I have (local) orders +tables +stored procedures Click on + tables, the icon is different than mine and I cannot see the New Item button can you help me please. I use Windows 2000 Thank you...

Web resources about - Unable to start Database Engine when Creating new Database - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Enterprises want to run databases in containers
More than three out of four IT decision makers are interested in running stateful applications like databases within containers, according to ...

Top US School District Switches to Rimini Street for Oracle Database and Oracle E-Business Suite Support ...
Douglas County School District using savings from Rimini Street independent support to develop district-wide data visualization capabilities ...

18 million targeted voter records exposed by database error
A second database containing voter records has been exposed due to a configuration error. While the first held records that some dismissed inconsequential ...

Former Ohio cop uses cop database to stalk victim
... stalked her like an average person would, but stalked her in the way that only a police officer could: he stalked her utilizing a police database ...

U.S. Attorney Suggests Password Cardinals Used To Access Astros Scouting Database Was “Eckstein123"
... scouting director Christopher Correa plead guilty to five counts of unauthorized access to a computer for hacking the Houston Astros database. ...