Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running

I get this error on one of my clients, although the DB server is, in fact,
running.
If I go to ODBC, and "TEST CONNECTION" it says OK, and all begins to work
within a minute or so again.

Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to database
server: Database server not running

Are there client settings, or server settings, which can eliminate this
annoying problem?

Our entire website stops working as it's completely db driven, until the
error clears itself up...

RUNNING ASA 6.0.3030

RT

0
Ryan

Can you post the parameters you filled in on the DSN?
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
Jim
9/1/2000 2:54:46 AM
No special parms. are set in the ODBC dialogs. Just the standard with only
TCPIP checked as the network protocol..
If that's what you're asking...

We generally get fairly large result sets, and it's after many of these
queries that the connection seems to be lost.
Or, after I do a load table.... if that helps...

RT

"Jim Egan" <dbaguru@eganomics.com> wrote in message
> Can you post the parameters you filled in on the DSN?
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
> Houston, TX
> http://www.eganomics.com
>
> Sybase Developers Network
> http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm

0
Ryan
9/1/2000 3:30:22 PM
In the TCPIP field add this: HOST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x's are the
TCPIP address of the server.  That will help the initial connection.

I'm not sure why your connections are getting lost though.  Turn
debugging on for both the server and client.  This will produce a lot of
data but to figure out what the problem is you'll need more information.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX
http://www.eganomics.com

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
Jim

Unable to connect to database server: Unable to start database engine
I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this. However, here goes. I am using PB 7.0 I set up my database using the ODBC Data Source Administrator configuration for Adaptive Server Anywhere (System DSN). Then I created my profile. I tested the connection and it worked fine. Then I went to Jaguar Manager, created the Connection Cache using the database I just setup. I setup everything currectly including using the odbc32.dll (Driver Tab) I got this error when I pinged it: (error is taken from my aguar's srv.log file) May 24 10:06:32 2001: cm__odbc_error: ...

The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing.
I'm not sure what this error is referring to. I've built a report and it runs in the IDE in preview mode, however when I try to deploy it, I get this error message.   Thanks. Doug   ...

How to connect a Database(.mdb) in an other server? Can I use the connection string like below? mycon.ConnectionString="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=http://www.****.com/***/mydb.mdb" You can not. That simple. Access is file based. No a client/server architecture.Thomas TomiczekPowerNodes ApS(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)---Building a Website? Try the PowerNodes CMS - http://www.powernodes.com/ Correction: you can. Just make sure you can reach the acces db file - through a file share that is bound as drive. Not that you should. Performance will be horrible.Thomas TomiczekPowerNodes ApS(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)---Building a Website? Try the PowerNodes CMS - http://www.powernodes.com/ To clarify, you should use the UNC name (\\server\share\path\filename.mdb) since a mapped drive for your user account will not be mapped for the ASPNET account. And as Thona says, performance will be terrible. Just as important, since you need to have access to the drive at a file-share level, it will not work through most firewalls, so connecting to a server across the Web will generally not work.Starting with ASP.NET 2.0? Look at:Programming Microsoft Web Forms My Blog...

"Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded."
Hello Sybase Users, Could anyone tell me what's the cause of this error message "alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded"? Actually, the sybase server is running and the user is remotely accessing the server. It was when the user used the Interactive SQL remotely that this error came out. Then, he also tried to use the Interactive SQL on the server machine but there was no error encountered. It also came out ONCE when 10 users were simultaneously logging on the system application. What's...

"Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded." error message
Hello Sybase User Experts, I like to find out the cause of this error message "Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded." Do you have any idea about this? What is the cause and how to solve this problem?! Your answer or idea to this error message will be a great help to me. Thank you in advance. Regards, Beverly Beverly, First of all, what database server are you using? And how are you connecting to it? -- Regards, Millard[TeamSybase] <Beverly> wrote in message news:3f7932b1.1356....

how to connect from web server to database server.
In my client’s site, there is two server: database server (computer name : abc) and web server(computer name : xyz). In database server, there is a folder call TestDB which I put the database in this folder. For security reason, we can not make folder TestDB share in the network. That is too say, web server can not access folder TestDB.   And I develop the web program need to connect the database on the database server. In my web.config setting, I have this line as the connect string.   <add key="TestDB" value="Provider=PervasiveOLEDB;Data Source= TestDB;Location=abc" >&...

how to connect a database server with two databases
Hi, I start a database server (dbsrv6) with two databases(e.g. A and B), but I found that I only connect and query of database A, not B by JDBC . Can ASA support that ???? Thanks Yes, you can connect to any one of the database loaded on a server. Example, if I start the server using dbsrv6 -n myServer A.db B.db C.db Then I can specify which database I want to connect to by using the DBN (databasename) connection parameter, as in dbisql -c "UID=DBA;PWD=SQL;eng=myServer;dbn=A" will connect to the A.db database, where as dbisql -c "UID=DBA;PWD=SQL;e...

Error When Debugging (Unable to start debugging on the web server. Unable to connect to the web server. Varify that the web server is running and that incoming HTTP request are not blocked by a firewa
Hi, When im going to run asp.net website its giving this error. Unable to start debugging on the web server. Unable to connect to the web server. Varify that the web server is running and that incoming HTTP request are not blocked by a firewall.  please help me to solve this problem. Thank you. Pubudu  If you are running your site off of a different machine than you are developing on, you need to install and configure the Visual Studio Remote Debugger on that machine. try to change the address from http://localhost to http://yourIP...   i hope it's worked...mak...

Problem connecting 2 databases in the same machine. One database is running in a LAN the other in WAN, both are using NT SERVER...
Hi!!!! SQL ANYWHERE 5.5.04 Build #1867. It is possible to connect from one machine to two databases, one in a LAN another in a WAN??? I can open my WAN database alone, only. I can open my LAN database alone, only. But, If I have the WAN open and try to open the LAN db I get a connection error. If I have a LAN open and try to connect to my db in the WAN. I get a connection error. Is this possible? Do I need some special parameters??? Jos� R. Rivera Did you try the things I suggested in my reply to your Saturday mail? Regards, Thomas Sandberg, GraFu AB Jose ...

��SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 Evaluation
Recently, I downloaded Sybase SQl Anywhere Studio 8.0 for Windows 2000 and Windows CE. I am trying to put together a demo for a potential client, demonstrating the solid infrastructure provided by the Sybase products. I have determined that they indeed integrate quite well. I wish to move off of the evaluation copy after its expiration date. However, I am troubled by one technical problem whch I need to resolve before making the investment and proceeding with serious development. It is the following: 1 - I wish to demonstrate to the client how even the Visual Basic developers on thei...

connect a database in remote server (can connect to the server via SSH)
Hi, All: I am a new to perl. My perl code need to connect to the database in the remote server, and I can login that server via SSH. Can anyone give me a hint about how can I do that? Many thanks. On 7/17/07, zhangxiaoyu912@gmail.com <zhangxiaoyu912@gmail.com> wrote: > I am a new to perl. My perl code need to connect to the database in > the remote server, and I can login that server via SSH. Can anyone > give me a hint about how can I do that? Many thanks. Have you seen what's on CPAN? http://search.cpan.org/search?query=ssh&mode=all Good luck w...

I get "Database server not running" when trying to connect with ODBC from NT client to Linux ASA server
I downloaded the current asaeval7linuxrh6.tar Adaptive Server Anywhere for Linux, installed it and it's up and running on Linux, but I get "Database server not running" when trying to connect with ODBC from NT client (I also have the latest windows ASA ODBC) to Linux ASA server. The ODBC driver is configured correctly on the NT client (as far as I've read). The Adaptive Sever Aywhere engine is up and running on the linux machine because I can query it using dbisqlc. The command I've used to start the database is: "dbeng7 -x tcpip asademo.db". I...

dynamically connect multiple databases to a database server
Our application uses embedded SQL to access databases. For v5.x, we dynamically connect multiple databases to a database server via dbclient.exe. We call ?db_string_connect (&sqlca,connect_str) ? for each database we want to connect to. We tried to do the same thing for v8.x, but failed to get a connection (SQLCODE -75) unless we start the server with all the databases we want to connect to and omit the DBF parameter from the connect_str. The connect_str we use is ?UID=dba;PWDsql;ENG=MyServer;Start=-x TCPIP; CON=sample;DBN=sample;DBF=c:\sample.db" As part of monthly up...

Unable to Connect to Server (databases)
 Hey all,I recently started using databases/tables in my website and it was working perfectly on my local machine, however, when i uploaded it to the web, it now says the following error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) along with a stack trace. I looked into it, and, according to various foru...

Unable to connect to the database server
Hey everybody,  I have just installed Microsoft ASP.net Web Matrix and the MSDE database.  When installing MSDE I entered the following text at the command prompt:  setup SAPWD=password SECURITYMODE=SQLwhere password is my personal password.  However, when I ask for a new connection on the data tab, I get the error message:  Unable to connect to the database serverSQL Server does not exist or access denied.  Connectionopen (Connect())Can anybody help me to resolve this.  Thanks in advance for any help received.  ...

Unable to connect to database server
We are running SQLAnywhere Server 5.5.03 Build 1666 on Window NT 4.0 for the last 4 years The server listens to the default port #1498 ( as it has been for the last 4 years). Our database size is 500 MB. This afternoon, all of a sudden the client applications were unable to connect to the database. We couldn't even connect to the database using ISQL or SQLCentral. We restared the NT server (cold-booted) twice, we restarted the client machines but no luck. We thought it might be a general network problem but it was not. PCAnywhere was working fine on the machine and it too liste...

Unable to connect to database server
HI all,I have hosted my ASP.Net application to a Hostingserver.My application fails to connect to the databaseserver, and promts error "Object refrence is not set to an instance of anobject"This Error is due to Drop Down Lists which query datafrom the database. I am using the connection string "Data Source=xxx.xxx.xxx.xx; Initial Catalog=shopadvizor;User Id=user1;Password=pass"The IP address above works fine when I Register andconnect the Remote database Srever with my Enterprisemanager. I can even query the database from my Local enterprise manager to the remote machine database server.&nbs...

-934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded to start database C:\FUELTAX\DATABASE\PCFTAX.DB
Our program which uses runtime engine for version 9 is getting the following error -934: ERROR! Unable to start specified database: Server must be upgraded to start database. Does anyone know what might have happened. It was working fine for months and all of the sudden we are getting this error now. Thanks, Igor Vodo. This error is a result of the database server being at a lower version than the database file format. Something has changed in your environment. Do you have multiple installs of SQL Anywhere on your machine (for example ASA 9.0.1 and 9.0.2)? If s...

SQL Server
Hi, I have a project that requires me to copy tables (batch/at night) from an as400 table into a sql table. Its a straight delete sql table and replace but the as400 table has a Million + rows.. I could easily loop thru the 400 table and insert in the loop but i'm afraid with that many records it will be to costly on the server. I found some references of a way called "LINKED SEVER" in sql server but am having problems configuring it.. The application I have today connects to the as400 and uses the tables in questions, so I know I have the right connection parms. Aside from t...

JDBC def of remote server on database running on same server
I've 2 databases on mounted on the same database server. I defined a remote server in one on the other (because I've information shared by multiple applications/databases). In the past I used ODBC to do this. With ASA 10 I see the option of using JDBC but when I try that I get an unknown Host Exception on the server name. Should I assume this is not as intended ? Would latest EBF have an effect? I'm at I. 08/03 12:30:47. SQL Anywhere Network Server Version 10.0.1.3415 Have you tried using localhost:2638/<DBN> for your remote server URL? If you specified the server name (ie. the equivalent to the ENG= connection parameter) or an incorrect hostname or IP-addres then you should get the error below Is this the error you are seeing Connection failed Unable to connect to server 'QnD_test2_srvr_name_error': JZ006: Caught IOException: java.net.UnknownHostException: <<your_host_name>> [Sybase][ODBC Driver][SQL Anywhere] Unable to connect to server 'QnD_test2_srvr_name_error': JZ006: Caught IOException: java.net.UnknownHostException: <<your_host_name>> SQLCODE: -656 SQLSTATE: HY000 SQL Statement: CALL dbo.sp_remote_tables( 'QnD_test2_srvr_name_error', NULL, NULL, NULL, 1 ) ? If so, then the <<your_host_name>> your are using is not a valid machine name nor a valid IP-address for the system. It can simply be...

Guided Tour - Creating A Database
Hi, I followed the Guided Tour at the section "Creating A Database," but I cannot do this. The problem is when I clicked on the Data tab in the Workspace window, the window displayed an empty data workspace as seen at the tour. However, I did not see the "New Connection" button at the top bar as directed. How can I add this button in for using? Thanks! Vy I had some trouble here too. Try this version of the tour: http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/guidedtour/section2/newconn.aspx the iconography is different -- maybe what you are looking for if you just dow...

Unable to connect to SQL Server database.
I'm trying to use the ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool. When I click on the Security, I kept getting this message. There is a problem with your selected data store. This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission. It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled. Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store. The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Unable to connect to SQL Server database.   First of, which SQL Server does this administratio...

Web resources about - Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

TransGrid Switches Oracle Database Support to Rimini Street
TransGrid Switches Oracle Database Support to Rimini Street

Herbalife sinks on database error report
Herbalife said it had overstated growth in the number of "active new members" in some instances in the past three quarters due to database errors. ...

Microsoft's SQL Server Database Is Heading to Linux
Next year, Microsoft plans to release a version of its hybrid-cloud-friendly database software for the open-source operating system.