SQLAnywhere performance

I have a SQLANywhere db running on a Netware v 3.12 server.  The
database performed well as a stand-alone db but when moved to the
network performance is lousy.  Where do I look for answers/solutions to
this problem?
thanks
0
Tom

How lousy?  What part is lousy? You can't expect multiple row retrieves to
perform the same in both a network and standalone environment.

0
Jim

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

Performance about SQLAnywhere
Currently I have a SQLAnywhere database of size over 250Mb. We have a program written in PB to retrieve data from it, but that program slowed down gradually after we increased the volume of data from 100Mb to its current size. Is this a limitation of SQLAnywhere, or just my machine? Is there any fine tuning possible? The configuration of my machine is Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 10G HD. If you have allocated sufficient cache to the database (should be at least 25mb, and 64mb would be good) then the remaining suspect would be a table scan somewhere. Have all database-related functio...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

SQLAnywhere performance problem
We have a complicated general performance problem in SQL Anywhere: The problem only occurs when retrieveing data to a datawindow in Powerbuilder (both 5.04 and 6.0) from a SQL Anywhere (5.5) database. Not with other databases and not when retrieveing the same data in another way (Embedded SQL with cursor). Large packets of what seems to be garbage data is sent from the client to the server in between small packets of real data from the server to the client. In fact more data is sent from the client than what is received (by a factor of four). We�re only reading data, no updates, ...

sqlanywhere performance improvement
Hi, 1. Does anyone know how I can rebuild indexes in a sqlanywhere database. 2. can anyone tell me how to see how the optimizer searches for the best path, if he uses his indexes properly, ... 3. Is there a possibility to view all sql-statements that are executed on the database, with there execution time? Thanks in advance ! Xavier Xavier Keters wrote: > > Hi, > > 1. Does anyone know how I can rebuild indexes in a sqlanywhere database. IF EXISTS(SELECT name FROM sysindexes WHERE name='MyIndexName') DROP INDEX MyTableName.MyIndexName GO ...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

SQLAnywhere performance problem
We have a complicated general performance problem in SQL Anywhere: The problem only occurs when retrieveing data to a datawindow in Powerbuilder (both 5.04 and 6.0) from a SQL Anywhere (5.5) database. Not with other databases and not when retrieveing the same data in another way (Embedded SQL with cursor). Large packets of what seems to be garbage data is sent from the client to the server in between small packets of real data from the server to the client. In fact more data is sent from the client than what is received (by a factor of four). We�re only reading data, no update...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

SQLAnywhere performance over a WAN
Hello SQLAnywhere Pro's !!! I have a client that uses our application (PB60 App) against a 20MB SQLAnywhere (5.5.04) database (they are a new client - normally the database would be about 100 - 200 MB) running on Windows NT. Performance has been great. They just linked up to another office of theirs via a Fractional T1 line (384K pipe). There will be 8 additional users that will access the database remotely. There are 10 people accessing the database locally. The NT Server is a Pentium 400 with 256MB Ram. The WAN has been completed and they are starting to test our app (w...

SQLAnywhere-performance-problem
We are using a windows-software for dialysis units based on an SQLAnywhere 5.505 Server running under Novell 5.0 ( SP5). After the last software-update we have performance-problems using a few querys ( server-utilisation more than 90%, poor performance of the query-lasting 2-3 times longer etc. ). Now the software-house told us, that the performance of the Novell-version oft ASA 5.505 would be much lower ( using the same hardware ) than the windows-version and we should switch our server to W2K ( or switch to ASA 7.02 and use SMP under W2K additionally! ). We do not know what to...

getting error after upgrading from sqlanywhere 7 to sqlanywhere 9
i'm using sybase sql server any where 7 and by using dbsrv7.exe i'm able to create db. it's working fine. no issues. now i'm upgrading to sybase sql server any where 9 and by using dbsrv9.exe i created db. this time when i'm using sysindexes table of sybase i'm getting error as Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous exception com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException because ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous at com.sybase.jdbc2...

SQLAnywhere Mulit-User Performance ?
Can anybody report on their experience deploying SQLAnywhere for medium (~20 users) to large (~100 users) workgroups. I'm just trying to get a ballpark understanding if SQLAnywhere is up for this job or if I'm kidding myself and switch to another db right away. Any public case studies, reports, benchmarks, etc... possibly by the trade press, etc. ? Thanks, Klaus Klaus, Concurrent users is less of a factor than the nature of the transactions you'll be implementing. We selected SQLAnywhere as the DBMS for our commercial software suite, and it was a great choice. ...

Update Fails to SQLAnywhere, but PB/ODBC/SQLAnywhere returns Success...
I recently dropped a reply in the SQLAnywhere Newsgroup regarding the question of "Death by Curly Brackets" and am not even sure the problem we're experiencing is related, BUT basically, if we have a variable in an SQLA table of type "char" and then declare an internal host variable in Powerbuilder 6.0, and execute an Insert or an Update against the table, PB and/or SQLA both return success, but the table DOES NOT get updated... here's futher details... Check out the ODBC dump below, is this a bug in PB, ODBC, SQLAnywhere or ALL of the above ANY HELP IS ...

Web resources about - SQLAnywhere performance - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere