SQLAnywhere performance problem

We have a complicated general performance problem in SQL Anywhere:

The problem only occurs when retrieveing data to a datawindow in
Powerbuilder
(both 5.04 and 6.0) from a SQL Anywhere (5.5) database. Not with other
databases and not when retrieveing the same data in another way
(Embedded
SQL with cursor).

Large packets of what seems to be garbage data is sent from the client
the server in between small packets of real data from the server to the
client. In fact more data is sent from the client than what is received
(by
a factor of four).
We�re only reading data, no updates, so almost all data should be
travelling
from the server to the client.
We've analyzed the packets on the network with a Network-analyzer, but
the
problem can also be seen is the SQL Anywhere Server statistics window
(bytes
sent vs. bytes received).

The problem is much worse for some of our customers who are connecting
two
sites
with an ISDN link (64kb). Almost all bandwidth is wasted on garbage
data.

If we use an Adaptive Server database, there's no garbage packets.
Performance improves enormously!

It seems to be a general problem of datawindows connected to a SQL
Anywhere
DB.
Does anyone have a clue about this? Is it a bug or is there some options

that can be tweaked. (Or is it an intentional performance degradation of
SQL
Anywhere to make us upgrade to Adaptive Server? (conspiration theory :)
)

0
Stefan

I think your consiracy theory is a bit off.  I've done some timing tests
and have found SQL Anywhere is faster than MS SQL Server and ASE 11.5. My
test focused primarily on raw inserts from a dw but I have found overall
that SQL Anywhere is pretty darn fast.

Anyhow, enough of that.  What I would like to know is what parameters you
are using for both the client and the server.  Are you running TCP/IP or
IPX?
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dealer Solutions, LLC

0
Jim
5/29/1998 1:05:33 AM
We might have found a solution ourselves:
Setting the DBParam BLOCK=1 (it defaults to 1000) reduced the Network
traffic greatly.

We tried opening a windows in our PB application with many small datawindows
on it and logged the sum of bytes sent and received by the database server.
With the default value for BLOCK about 90000 bytes were transfered.
With BLOCK=1 this was reduced to about 13000 bytes.

The performance became noticeably better on our LAN, but it should be more
obvious on a low bandwidth connection.
We will try this solution on an ISDN connection tomorrow and see if it
improves performance.

One question we haven't investigated yet is if there are situations when
the default blocking factor is better. If not, using 1000 as the default
seems like a strange choice by Sybase. And why does the client send so much
data back to the server with BLOCK=1000? That still looks like a bug.

By the way, the results seems to be independent of wich network protocol
we're using (Tried tcp/ip, ipx and netbios).
On large Selects ASE 11.5 is still about three times faster. Maybe that has
something to do with the packet size? We're using 512 bytes.

0
Stefan
5/29/1998 5:29:16 AM
I usually increase the packet size to 1490.  That's a number I can remember
and it's pretty close to the size of a full Ethernet packet.
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dealer Solutions, Inc.

0
Clive

SQLAnywhere-performance-problem
We are using a windows-software for dialysis units based on an SQLAnywhere 5.505 Server running under Novell 5.0 ( SP5). After the last software-update we have performance-problems using a few querys ( server-utilisation more than 90%, poor performance of the query-lasting 2-3 times longer etc. ). Now the software-house told us, that the performance of the Novell-version oft ASA 5.505 would be much lower ( using the same hardware ) than the windows-version and we should switch our server to W2K ( or switch to ASA 7.02 and use SMP under W2K additionally! ). We do not know what to...

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

SQLAnywhere performance
I have a SQLANywhere db running on a Netware v 3.12 server. The database performed well as a stand-alone db but when moved to the network performance is lousy. Where do I look for answers/solutions to this problem? thanks How lousy? What part is lousy? You can't expect multiple row retrieves to perform the same in both a network and standalone environment. ...

Performance about SQLAnywhere
Currently I have a SQLAnywhere database of size over 250Mb. We have a program written in PB to retrieve data from it, but that program slowed down gradually after we increased the volume of data from 100Mb to its current size. Is this a limitation of SQLAnywhere, or just my machine? Is there any fine tuning possible? The configuration of my machine is Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 10G HD. If you have allocated sufficient cache to the database (should be at least 25mb, and 64mb would be good) then the remaining suspect would be a table scan somewhere. Have all database-related functio...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

sqlanywhere performance improvement
Hi, 1. Does anyone know how I can rebuild indexes in a sqlanywhere database. 2. can anyone tell me how to see how the optimizer searches for the best path, if he uses his indexes properly, ... 3. Is there a possibility to view all sql-statements that are executed on the database, with there execution time? Thanks in advance ! Xavier Xavier Keters wrote: > > Hi, > > 1. Does anyone know how I can rebuild indexes in a sqlanywhere database. IF EXISTS(SELECT name FROM sysindexes WHERE name='MyIndexName') DROP INDEX MyTableName.MyIndexName GO ...

Sqlanywhere module problem.
I am use Sybase ASA 9.01 and sqlanywhere module asa_php_1.0.6.zip Time after time i see this in my log file PHP Warning: SQLAnywhere: [-298] Attempted two active database requests in inc.php on line 100 What to do ? Egorov Roman wrote: > PHP Warning: SQLAnywhere: [-298] Attempted two active database requests in > inc.php on line 100 This message indicates that you have attempted to make a new SQL request over a connection that has an active request outstanding. Does the code at line 100 of inc.php have a database call in it? If this is reproducible, you might cons...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

SQLAnywhere/ASA problem
Help! We have an application that has been around since PB 3. We are now using PB 7.01 and are getting ready to release an update. Part of our update process migrates data from the old DB into a new DB (whenever there have been structure changes). This process connects to the old (source) DB and the new (target) DB with 2 different transaction objects. With this new update, the migrator cannot connect to the SQLAnywhere DB, but it can connect to the Adaptive Server Anywhere DB. What gives? Is there some parm in the connectstring I have to set for ASA to connect to a SQLAnywhere...

SQLAnywhere Monitor problem
Hi, We are testing SQLAnywhere Monitor . Everything is fine, except on ONE database : when adding the ressource, everything is OK, but the status keeps "UNKNOWN". We have tried to recreate the resource , checked the sa_monitor objects, ... We always receive the following email. Any idea about the problem ? Alert: Monitoring support objects need repair Server: sa11_YYYY Database: XXXXXXX Host: Time: 2009-09-08 15:50 CEST Problem: When you monitor a database, the SQL Anywhere Monitor installs some support objects into the database. Those objects are now mis...

SQLAnywhere performance over a WAN
Hello SQLAnywhere Pro's !!! I have a client that uses our application (PB60 App) against a 20MB SQLAnywhere (5.5.04) database (they are a new client - normally the database would be about 100 - 200 MB) running on Windows NT. Performance has been great. They just linked up to another office of theirs via a Fractional T1 line (384K pipe). There will be 8 additional users that will access the database remotely. There are 10 people accessing the database locally. The NT Server is a Pentium 400 with 256MB Ram. The WAN has been completed and they are starting to test our app (w...

Web resources about - SQLAnywhere performance problem - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere