SQLAnywhere-performance-problem

We are using a windows-software for dialysis units based on an SQLAnywhere
5.505 Server running under Novell 5.0 ( SP5).
After the last software-update we have performance-problems using a few
querys ( server-utilisation more than 90%, poor performance of the
query-lasting 2-3 times longer etc. ).
Now the software-house told us, that the performance of the Novell-version
oft ASA 5.505 would be much lower ( using the same hardware ) than the
windows-version and we should switch our server to W2K ( or switch to ASA
7.02 and use SMP under W2K additionally! ).
We do not know what to do now:
1. Should we switch to W2K (Server; Clients are using W98, NT or W2K )
2. Should we buy a new SMP-Server and W2K ?
3. Should we switch to ASA 7 ( with or without W2K )?
Most oft the options are very expensive for us and until now the server has
been running well and very stable.
Should we push the software-house to run optimized querys?
( They are now developing parallel for ASA 5.505 and ASA7 )
Regards

Dr. Traugott Ziegler
Bergheimerstrasse 59/61
69115 Heidelberg
Mail: traugott.ziegler@tesionmail.de

0
traugott

My gut is to look at the query.  There are many significant changes from 5.5
tp 7.02 which you may want to take advantage of but 5.5 is a very capable
database.

That said there are some questions what did the upgrade entail?  Did the
upgrade require a database structure change, client change, addition of
middleware?

Jim

<traugott.ziegler@tesionmail.de> wrote in message
> We are using a windows-software for dialysis units based on an SQLAnywhere
> 5.505 Server running under Novell 5.0 ( SP5).
> After the last software-update we have performance-problems using a few
> querys ( server-utilisation more than 90%, poor performance of the
> query-lasting 2-3 times longer etc. ).
> Now the software-house told us, that the performance of the Novell-version
> oft ASA 5.505 would be much lower ( using the same hardware ) than the
> windows-version and we should switch our server to W2K ( or switch to ASA
> 7.02 and use SMP under W2K additionally! ).
> We do not know what to do now:
> 1. Should we switch to W2K (Server; Clients are using W98, NT or W2K )
> 2. Should we buy a new SMP-Server and W2K ?
> 3. Should we switch to ASA 7 ( with or without W2K )?
> Most oft the options are very expensive for us and until now the server
has
> been running well and very stable.
> Should we push the software-house to run optimized querys?
> ( They are now developing parallel for ASA 5.505 and ASA7 )
> Regards
>

> Dr. Traugott Ziegler
> Bergheimerstrasse 59/61
> 69115 Heidelberg
> Mail: traugott.ziegler@tesionmail.de

0
Jim

SQLAnywhere performance problem
We have a complicated general performance problem in SQL Anywhere: The problem only occurs when retrieveing data to a datawindow in Powerbuilder (both 5.04 and 6.0) from a SQL Anywhere (5.5) database. Not with other databases and not when retrieveing the same data in another way (Embedded SQL with cursor). Large packets of what seems to be garbage data is sent from the client to the server in between small packets of real data from the server to the client. In fact more data is sent from the client than what is received (by a factor of four). We�re only reading data, no update...

SQLAnywhere performance problem
We have a complicated general performance problem in SQL Anywhere: The problem only occurs when retrieveing data to a datawindow in Powerbuilder (both 5.04 and 6.0) from a SQL Anywhere (5.5) database. Not with other databases and not when retrieveing the same data in another way (Embedded SQL with cursor). Large packets of what seems to be garbage data is sent from the client to the server in between small packets of real data from the server to the client. In fact more data is sent from the client than what is received (by a factor of four). We�re only reading data, no updates, ...

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

SQLAnywhere performance
I have a SQLANywhere db running on a Netware v 3.12 server. The database performed well as a stand-alone db but when moved to the network performance is lousy. Where do I look for answers/solutions to this problem? thanks How lousy? What part is lousy? You can't expect multiple row retrieves to perform the same in both a network and standalone environment. ...

Performance about SQLAnywhere
Currently I have a SQLAnywhere database of size over 250Mb. We have a program written in PB to retrieve data from it, but that program slowed down gradually after we increased the volume of data from 100Mb to its current size. Is this a limitation of SQLAnywhere, or just my machine? Is there any fine tuning possible? The configuration of my machine is Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 10G HD. If you have allocated sufficient cache to the database (should be at least 25mb, and 64mb would be good) then the remaining suspect would be a table scan somewhere. Have all database-related functio...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

sqlanywhere performance improvement
Hi, 1. Does anyone know how I can rebuild indexes in a sqlanywhere database. 2. can anyone tell me how to see how the optimizer searches for the best path, if he uses his indexes properly, ... 3. Is there a possibility to view all sql-statements that are executed on the database, with there execution time? Thanks in advance ! Xavier Xavier Keters wrote: > > Hi, > > 1. Does anyone know how I can rebuild indexes in a sqlanywhere database. IF EXISTS(SELECT name FROM sysindexes WHERE name='MyIndexName') DROP INDEX MyTableName.MyIndexName GO ...

Sqlanywhere module problem.
I am use Sybase ASA 9.01 and sqlanywhere module asa_php_1.0.6.zip Time after time i see this in my log file PHP Warning: SQLAnywhere: [-298] Attempted two active database requests in inc.php on line 100 What to do ? Egorov Roman wrote: > PHP Warning: SQLAnywhere: [-298] Attempted two active database requests in > inc.php on line 100 This message indicates that you have attempted to make a new SQL request over a connection that has an active request outstanding. Does the code at line 100 of inc.php have a database call in it? If this is reproducible, you might cons...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

SQLAnywhere/ASA problem
Help! We have an application that has been around since PB 3. We are now using PB 7.01 and are getting ready to release an update. Part of our update process migrates data from the old DB into a new DB (whenever there have been structure changes). This process connects to the old (source) DB and the new (target) DB with 2 different transaction objects. With this new update, the migrator cannot connect to the SQLAnywhere DB, but it can connect to the Adaptive Server Anywhere DB. What gives? Is there some parm in the connectstring I have to set for ASA to connect to a SQLAnywhere...

SQLAnywhere Monitor problem
Hi, We are testing SQLAnywhere Monitor . Everything is fine, except on ONE database : when adding the ressource, everything is OK, but the status keeps "UNKNOWN". We have tried to recreate the resource , checked the sa_monitor objects, ... We always receive the following email. Any idea about the problem ? Alert: Monitoring support objects need repair Server: sa11_YYYY Database: XXXXXXX Host: Time: 2009-09-08 15:50 CEST Problem: When you monitor a database, the SQL Anywhere Monitor installs some support objects into the database. Those objects are now mis...

SQLAnywhere performance over a WAN
Hello SQLAnywhere Pro's !!! I have a client that uses our application (PB60 App) against a 20MB SQLAnywhere (5.5.04) database (they are a new client - normally the database would be about 100 - 200 MB) running on Windows NT. Performance has been great. They just linked up to another office of theirs via a Fractional T1 line (384K pipe). There will be 8 additional users that will access the database remotely. There are 10 people accessing the database locally. The NT Server is a Pentium 400 with 256MB Ram. The WAN has been completed and they are starting to test our app (w...

Web resources about - SQLAnywhere-performance-problem - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Navy’s new $12b aircraft carrier beset with performance problems
The US Navy’s newest aircraft carrier is beset with performance problems, including malfunctions of its modern systems to launch and recover ...

Citrix software aims to solve storage/virtual desktop performance problem
... one of the biggest problems that come with a VDI deployment: Storage. It’s common for centralized storage pools to hinder the performance of ...

Obamacare Website: HealthCare.gov Problems, Cost, And Performance Explained
... . The controversy surrounding the millions of people unable to keep their health care plans also caused President Obama to “fix” the problem ...