SQLAnywhere Mulit-User Performance ?

Can anybody report on their experience deploying SQLAnywhere for medium (~20
users) to large (~100 users) workgroups.  I'm just trying to get a ballpark
understanding if SQLAnywhere is up for this job or if I'm kidding myself and
switch to another db right away.

Any public case studies, reports, benchmarks, etc... possibly by the trade
press, etc. ?

Thanks, Klaus

0
Klaus

Klaus,
Concurrent users is less of a factor than the nature of the transactions
you'll be implementing.
We selected SQLAnywhere as the DBMS for our commercial software suite, and
it was a great choice.  We have a wide range of customer profiles (from 5
users to over 60), and the transaction mix is fairly diverse as well.  The
biggest factor for us was that SQLA/ASA runs great and doesn't need a
full-time DBA staff.  Our software is driven by the end-users, and often
there isn't any IT staff to speak of.  As a developer, it's by far the
easiest database to develop software against (IMO).

And, there's this great support forum I keep hearing about... <g>

Paul Horan [TeamSybase]
Buffalo, NY

"Klaus" <klaus@scpcorp.com> wrote in message
> Can anybody report on their experience deploying SQLAnywhere for medium
(~20
> users) to large (~100 users) workgroups.  I'm just trying to get a
ballpark
> understanding if SQLAnywhere is up for this job or if I'm kidding myself
and
> switch to another db right away.
>
> Any public case studies, reports, benchmarks, etc... possibly by the trade
> press, etc. ?
>
> Thanks, Klaus

0
Paul
6/3/2001 3:52:13 AM
>> And, there's this great support forum I keep hearing about... <g>

Where? Where?

Oh, it's HERE -- darn it I'm sitting right in front of it and didn't
even see it...

:-))

0
Mike
6/3/2001 5:46:22 PM
From my exp.   , I use ASA 5.5 , and when the connected user over 25 ,
the other user can not connect to the server any more and ther proformence
is not good,
 So I switch to the ASE 119.2.

but this is just my exp.

Kadee

Klaus <klaus@scpcorp.com> wrote in message
> Can anybody report on their experience deploying SQLAnywhere for medium
(~20
> users) to large (~100 users) workgroups.  I'm just trying to get a
ballpark
> understanding if SQLAnywhere is up for this job or if I'm kidding myself
and
> switch to another db right away.
>
> Any public case studies, reports, benchmarks, etc... possibly by the trade
> press, etc. ?
>
> Thanks, Klaus

0
Kadee
6/4/2001 4:14:56 AM
Did you have more than 25 licenses? (Sorry, but the round number at which
connections ceased looks suspicious.) Do you know the startup options you
used for the server? What was the server's hardware?

  Richard

"Kadee" <kadee@mail.jauyeou.com> wrote in message
> From my exp.   , I use ASA 5.5 , and when the connected user over 25 ,
> the other user can not connect to the server any more and ther proformence
> is not good,

0
Richard
6/4/2001 6:11:42 AM
Yeah, we're hard to find amongst all those TeamOracle newsgroups...

"Mike Packard" <mpackard@mail.sandi.net> wrote in message
> >> And, there's this great support forum I keep hearing about... <g>
>
> Where? Where?
>
> Oh, it's HERE -- darn it I'm sitting right in front of it and didn't
> even see it...
>
> :-))

0
Paul
6/4/2001 10:08:38 PM
I only get the test version,I didn't know where is the licenses limit,
my sever is P2-500 512mb RAM

Regards

kadee

Richard Biffl <biffl@NOSPAMtidalwave.net> wrote in message
> Did you have more than 25 licenses? (Sorry, but the round number at which
> connections ceased looks suspicious.) Do you know the startup options you
> used for the server? What was the server's hardware?
>
>   Richard
>
> "Kadee" <kadee@mail.jauyeou.com> wrote in message
> > From my exp.   , I use ASA 5.5 , and when the connected user over 25 ,
> > the other user can not connect to the server any more and ther
proformence
> > is not good,

0
Kadee
6/6/2001 5:11:59 AM
I don't know about 5.5, but in version 7 the number of licenses is displayed
in the server's message window when the server starts up. Does your server
window say anything about the number of licenses?

Also, what is the command line that is used to start the server? There
should be a -c option to set the amount of cache memory. If there's no -c
option, the server is using a ridiculously small amount of RAM (2 MB). The
standard advice is to use a cache size of at least 10-15% of your database
size.

> I only get the test version,I didn't know where is the licenses limit,
> my sever is P2-500 512mb RAM

0
Richard
6/6/2001 5:53:06 AM
I didnot see anything about the mumber of licenses where I install.

the command line  -c 60m

> I don't know about 5.5, but in version 7 the number of licenses is
displayed
> in the server's message window when the server starts up. Does your server
> window say anything about the number of licenses?
>
> Also, what is the command line that is used to start the server? There
> should be a -c option to set the amount of cache memory. If there's no -c
> option, the server is using a ridiculously small amount of RAM (2 MB). The
> standard advice is to use a cache size of at least 10-15% of your database
> size.
>
>   Richard
>
> "Kadee" <kadee@mail.jauyeou.com> wrote in message
> > I only get the test version,I didn't know where is the licenses limit,
> > my sever is P2-500 512mb RAM

0
Kadee