SQLAnywhere fails from service

I have an NT service that tries to connect to a SQLAnywhere v5.0.2 database
that is local.  It fails with a "[Sybase][ODBC Driver]: db_init() failed" --
anybody know why this is?  The service is logging in as a user with
Administrative rights and the ODBC data source is a System DSN.

Thanks,
  John

0
John

Hmmm,

I assume that the database is already created and it is also started as an
NT service.  Besides checking the command line parameters you might
look at the dependencies for the service that is failing.  It should be
dependent
on the database engine and start after the engine has started also.

Juan ...

John Rodgers wrote:

> I have an NT service that tries to connect to a SQLAnywhere v5.0.2 database
> that is local.  It fails with a "[Sybase][ODBC Driver]: db_init() failed" --
> anybody know why this is?  The service is logging in as a user with
> Administrative rights and the ODBC data source is a System DSN.
>
> Thanks,
>   John

0
Juan
12/15/1997 10:42:57 PM
Have you tried using the account of LocalSystem and also checking off the
"Allow service to interact with desktop" flag?
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dealer Solutions, LLC

0
Jim
12/16/1997 1:16:46 AM
Thanks.  I wasn't paying attention -- once the service is running all is
fine!

Thanks,
  John

Juan F. Garcia wrote in message <3495B271.B4FBA14D@inel.gov>...
>Hmmm,
>
>I assume that the database is already created and it is also started as an
>NT service.  Besides checking the command line parameters you might
>look at the dependencies for the service that is failing.  It should be
>dependent
>on the database engine and start after the engine has started also.
>
>Juan ...
>
>John Rodgers wrote:
>
>> I have an NT service that tries to connect to a SQLAnywhere v5.0.2
database
>> that is local.  It fails with a "[Sybase][ODBC Driver]: db_init()
failed" --
>> anybody know why this is?  The service is logging in as a user with
>> Administrative rights and the ODBC data source is a System DSN.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>   John

0
John

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

Update Fails to SQLAnywhere, but PB/ODBC/SQLAnywhere returns Success...
I recently dropped a reply in the SQLAnywhere Newsgroup regarding the question of "Death by Curly Brackets" and am not even sure the problem we're experiencing is related, BUT basically, if we have a variable in an SQLA table of type "char" and then declare an internal host variable in Powerbuilder 6.0, and execute an Insert or an Update against the table, PB and/or SQLA both return success, but the table DOES NOT get updated... here's futher details... Check out the ODBC dump below, is this a bug in PB, ODBC, SQLAnywhere or ALL of the above ANY HELP IS ...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

Starting SQLAnywhere as a service
I can't seem to start SQLA.. as a service. If I fire it up by hand everything is fine, when I try to start it as a service, it does not start, and if I try to start it from the services utility of NT, I get a error 1058 and a message that says that it has been disabled, but of course it is marked as auto. Any ideas? Mick ...

Starting SQLAnywhere as a service
I can start the engine, server, and client as services and they run fine. But if I add DBREMOTE to the mix I invariably get an error because NT tries to run DBREMOTE before the engine. Sybase Central allows me to indicate that the DBENG50 should be run before DBREMOTE to get around this. My problem is that I don't want to ship Sybase Central with the product. I would rather just have the installation program make the appropriate registry entries itself. Does anybody know what registry entries need to be made? Thanks Richard Speiss In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTE...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

getting error after upgrading from sqlanywhere 7 to sqlanywhere 9
i'm using sybase sql server any where 7 and by using dbsrv7.exe i'm able to create db. it's working fine. no issues. now i'm upgrading to sybase sql server any where 9 and by using dbsrv9.exe i created db. this time when i'm using sysindexes table of sybase i'm getting error as Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous exception com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException because ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous at com.sybase.jdbc2...

SqlAnywhere service not restarting properly
Hello everyone. I have a problem that hopefully someone will be able to assist with. I have a SQLAnywhere version 5.5.04 build#1867 running on an NT 4.0 SP6a-28bit server. I use ArcServeIT v6.61 for backups. I have a script that stops 4 services (including the SQLAnywhere service) before the backup and another that restarts them after the backup. Twice in the last month, while restarting after the backup, SQLAnywhere hangs during the startup and the only way that I have been about to stop it is to restart the whole server. With the number of users I have, it takes longer to get them off...

Running SQLAnywhere *from* a System Service
I am trying to open an ODBC Data Source from within a System Service (using SQLAnywhere). I created a System Data Source and it works fine when opening it from a normal application. But when my System Service tries to open the database, I get "Driver's SQLAllocEnv failed". I get the same problem when I run SQLAnywhere as a System Service. What exactly is SQLAnywhere trying to do that the System Service doesn't like? What is the best solution? thanks for any pointers! yuvi Need to add sqlany50\win32 to your system path. Yuval Zalkow <groove@ix.netcom.com&...

Starting SQLAnywhere Service automatically
Hi there! Does anybody know how I can start a NT-Service I created with dbsvc <params>. I don't want to start it by the Service-Manager but with ShellExecute(...,...) within a Programming Language. Is there command from Sybase or is it an API-Call? Thanks! I don't know what API call I'd use, but from a command prompt, I'd just use NET START and NET STOP. -- Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions Certified SQL Anywhere Associate Please reply only to the newsgroup ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm -> Choo...

XP SQLAnywhere 5 Service
Hi everyone, We keep getting errors when trying to start a service under Windows XP. Downloaded and installed the latest EBF but that didn't help still getting the same errors. Anyone successfully starting SA5 as a service under XP ? If so what is the trick ? Disregard. We uninstalled sybase and reinstalled and all went well, service is up and running. "Mark Soukup" <mark@microsys-computing.com> wrote in message news:2b9c4qMsBHA.298@forums.sybase.com... > Hi everyone, > We keep getting errors when trying to start a service under Windows XP. > Do...

Upgrade SqlAnywhere Server 5.0 auf SqlAnywhere 7.0
Hello, We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. Many thanks, Gerhard You can either unload/reload or upgrade the database. The documentation discusses this. BTW ASA7 is currently in limited support. Current versions are ASA8 and ASA9 so it would be wise to consider going to a later version. <Gerhard> wrote in message news:41e3a189.7488.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hello, > We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 > to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. > > Many th...

Web resources about - SQLAnywhere fails from service - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere