SQLAnywhere 5.5 Multi-ODBC Connection Problem

Hi,

I have been having a problem establishing two ODBC connections with an SQL
Anywhere database. I have one connection being made to the datbase from
ClearQuest. I also have a custom written ASP script that connects to this
same database. If I am logged in through ClearQuest Web Service and try to
run my ASP script, I get an "Unable to connect to database server.
Specified database not found" error from my ASP script. However, if I am
not logged in on the ClearQeust Web Service, and I run my ASP script, it
runs fine. Then if I try to log into the Clear Quest Web Service, I get an
error message from ClearQuest saying "Unable to connect to database server,
specified database not found." They are both ODBC Driver errors. What am I
missing, why am I not able to establish these connections at the same time?

Thanks,
Jason

0
jhart

Is the ODBC DSN setup as a "System DSN" ??

--
Rick Blythe
iAnywhere Solutions

ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL and click "GO"

<jhart> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been having a problem establishing two ODBC connections with an SQL
> Anywhere database. I have one connection being made to the datbase from
> ClearQuest. I also have a custom written ASP script that connects to this
> same database. If I am logged in through ClearQuest Web Service and try to
> run my ASP script, I get an "Unable to connect to database server.
> Specified database not found" error from my ASP script. However, if I am
> not logged in on the ClearQeust Web Service, and I run my ASP script, it
> runs fine. Then if I try to log into the Clear Quest Web Service, I get an
> error message from ClearQuest saying "Unable to connect to database
server,
> specified database not found." They are both ODBC Driver errors. What am I
> missing, why am I not able to establish these connections at the same
time?

> Thanks,
> Jason

0
Rick
1/23/2002 5:47:50 PM
Sorry, I should have added more detail.

- Yes, the ODBC connection is set as a System DSN.
- One thing I wasn't sure about in setting up the ODBC (I'm new to ODBC
connections)is what the correct procedure is. To specify my situation, I
have one NT Machine that is the web server(where my ASP script and the
Clear Quest Web Service software is located), and a seperate NT Machine
that is the database server(where the SQL Anywhere database is located).
What I did was go to the "ODBC Data Source Administrator" on the WEB SERVER
--> Selected the "System DSN" tab --> Clicked on Add --> Selected the
appropriate driver --> and then when selecting the database, I went through
the network to the database server and selected the database from that file
list. I wasn't sure if this was the correct procedure for using ODBC.
Please confirm....

- Here are some code segments from my connection string:
This is the only one I could get to work:
MyConn.Open "DSN=myDSNname;uid=username;pwd=password"

Here are others that I could not get to work:
MyConn.Open "Driver={Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0(Rational)};
DBQ=\\server_name\path\database.mdb; UID=uname; PWD=pword"

MyConn.Open "Driver={Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0(Rational)}; srvr=server_name;
db=database_name; uid=uname; pwd=pword";

The reason I used the driver name Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0(Rational) is
because that is exactly how it shows up in the ODBC driver list, even
though it appears to by the Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5 version.

I hope I didn't write too much.

Thanks,
Jason
0
jhart
1/23/2002 7:49:29 PM
I thought I might also mention the fact that we have an identical setup at
another location. Only this was more of a test bed for the Clear Quest
software. During this test time everything was set up with a Microsoft
Access database and my script was able to work seamlessly with the other
Clear Quest software. I never had any problems making simultaneous
connections whether I went through the ODBC Data Source Administrator, or
if I placed everything in the connection string myself. After running into
the problems at our actual location, we then set up the Sybase SQL Anywhere
database on the test servers to see if it would work better. I am still
having the same results and am unable to connect both software components
at the same time. The reason we are not using Access is Clear Quest runs
much better on the Sybase database and enables our configuration management
personnel much more functionality with Clear Quest. We are really trying to
get the best of both worlds. Any help anyone can make will be greatly a
ppreciated.

Jason
0
jhart
1/23/2002 8:45:56 PM
Your DSN should typically only point to the server by name, and the database
by name, not by filename, but the name given it on the server startup line.

If you use the database file entry, you must point to it relative to the
server, not the client.

HTH

--

<jhart> wrote in message
> Sorry, I should have added more detail.
>
> - Yes, the ODBC connection is set as a System DSN.
> - One thing I wasn't sure about in setting up the ODBC (I'm new to ODBC
> connections)is what the correct procedure is. To specify my situation, I
> have one NT Machine that is the web server(where my ASP script and the
> Clear Quest Web Service software is located), and a seperate NT Machine
> that is the database server(where the SQL Anywhere database is located).
> What I did was go to the "ODBC Data Source Administrator" on the WEB
SERVER
> --> Selected the "System DSN" tab --> Clicked on Add --> Selected the
> appropriate driver --> and then when selecting the database, I went
through
> the network to the database server and selected the database from that
file
> list. I wasn't sure if this was the correct procedure for using ODBC.
> Please confirm....
>
> - Here are some code segments from my connection string:
> This is the only one I could get to work:
> MyConn.Open "DSN=myDSNname;uid=username;pwd=password"
>
> Here are others that I could not get to work:
> MyConn.Open "Driver={Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0(Rational)};
> DBQ=\\server_name\path\database.mdb; UID=uname; PWD=pword"
>
> MyConn.Open "Driver={Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0(Rational)}; srvr=server_name;
> db=database_name; uid=uname; pwd=pword";
>
> The reason I used the driver name Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0(Rational) is
> because that is exactly how it shows up in the ODBC driver list, even
> though it appears to by the Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5 version.
>
> I hope I didn't write too much.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

0
Rick
1/25/2002 1:14:51 PM
Yes, I was referring to the Database relative to the web server when
pointing to the file name through the ODBC tool. The driver, Sybase SQL
Anywhere 5.0 (Rational), that appears on the ODBC listing when adding a new
data source comes up with a form (SQL Anywhere ODBC Configuration)
requesting various information. Below I will simulate how I filled out this
form. Keep in mind I am filling this out from the Web Server and referring
to the Database Server that contains the Sybase SQL Anywhere database.

SQL Anywhere ODBC Configuration

Data Source Name: tstdb

User ID: admin
Password: ****
Server Name: dbmaster
Database Name: tstdb

Database File: \\dbmaster\ClearQuestDB\tstdb.db
  [radio buttons: local, network, custom] - I selected network

Additional Connection Options [I did not use any of these]

Okay, that is it. Let me say again, I did get this to work, just not at the
same time a Clear Quest Web Client was logged in. For some reason the
database is not allowing those multiple ODBC connections.

Could it be that the user id "admin" has too many permissions? Should I set
up a new user that has more limited permissions?
I would have tried this solution, but things are a little hosed up right
now and it will be a couple of days before I can get back on the web
server.

Thanks,
Jason
0
jhart
1/25/2002 7:23:17 PM
Is the server running dbeng50 or dbsrv50?
It needs to be a server (dbsrv50) and needs to be licensed to have more than
1 seat.
Check your server...

--

<jhart> wrote in message
> Yes, I was referring to the Database relative to the web server when
> pointing to the file name through the ODBC tool. The driver, Sybase SQL
> Anywhere 5.0 (Rational), that appears on the ODBC listing when adding a
new
> data source comes up with a form (SQL Anywhere ODBC Configuration)
> requesting various information. Below I will simulate how I filled out
this
> form. Keep in mind I am filling this out from the Web Server and referring
> to the Database Server that contains the Sybase SQL Anywhere database.
>

> SQL Anywhere ODBC Configuration
>
> Data Source Name: tstdb
>
> User ID: admin
> Password: ****
> Server Name: dbmaster
> Database Name: tstdb
>
> Database File: \\dbmaster\ClearQuestDB\tstdb.db
>   [radio buttons: local, network, custom] - I selected network
>
> Additional Connection Options [I did not use any of these]
>

> Okay, that is it. Let me say again, I did get this to work, just not at
the
> same time a Clear Quest Web Client was logged in. For some reason the
> database is not allowing those multiple ODBC connections.
>
> Could it be that the user id "admin" has too many permissions? Should I
set
> up a new user that has more limited permissions?
> I would have tried this solution, but things are a little hosed up right
> now and it will be a couple of days before I can get back on the web
> server.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason

0
Rick
1/25/2002 7:49:23 PM
Okay, I took a look at the server and dbeng50 and dbsrv50 are both there. I
showed this message to our system administrator and he didn't know what
those were and he also said that Rational's version of SQL Anywhere doesn't
have a licensed so he didn't understand the statement, "...needs to be
licensed to have more than 1 seat." Could you please give me more
information on this area. I think I am kind of on my own here and I am a
Software Engineer, not a Sys Admin.

Thanks,
Jason
0
jhart

ODBC connection thru VC++ with SQLAnywhere 5.5 problem
retcode = SQLDriverConnect( hdbc, EView->hwnd(), szConnStrIn5, strlen((char*)szConnStrIn5), szConnStrOut, cbConnStrOutMax, &pcbConnStrOut, SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE_REQUIRED); where : szConnStrIn5 = "DRIVER={Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0};DatabaseFile=c:\database\test.db;UID=perform;PWD=perform;agent=engine;" I already have a connection made to a server database and I am opening up this connection in addition. The problem I am getting is that I get prompted for the User ID and Password through the standard Sybase connection dialog. The UID and PWD are alrea...

Trouble sharing a dbclient ODBC connection between two processes on web server SQLAnywhere 5.5.0.5
Hello, I am trying to tie a whole bunch of legacy components together with a new reporting engine and I've come across an interesting problem. I have a W2k Web server that is connecting to an NT4.0 SQLAnywhere 5.5.0.5 database server via an ODBC dbclient connection. The web server is running classic ASP pages for the bulk of the web site, with a single ASP.net section for viewing reports. Everything works great and I can connect to the database as long as I have only one of the connections active - either the ASP or ASP.net site. As soon as I try to connect both at ...

SQLAnywhere 5.5.05 / Win2000 connection problem
We upgraded our SQLAnywhere 5.5.04 server to 5.5.05 ebf 2739 when moving it to Windows 2000. Now we get this error: When one connection (the only client connection) is "working" on the database (not just connected), and another client tries to make a connection to this db server, the application crashes with following message: dbsrv50.exe - Application Error The instruction at "0x0048ef5e" referenced memory at "0x0044d1ae". The memory could not be "written". Any idea ? Thanks, Bart Hoet (Belgium) Hi, run the server with ...

SQLAnywhere 5.5.04ebf(1868), 5.5.05
Hello! I have recieved message from "owner-inews-tech-sqlanywhere@sybase.com" with Subject "Delphi users". Where can I obtain new ebf(s)? I found only 5.5.03 in the Software library. (http://support.sybase.com/esd/sqlany.html) ==== Subject: Bug Fix / Enhancement (PTrack 479443) - .... Summary: Delphi can't insert Blobs > 32k - SQLBindParameter only inserted the first 32k of a given buffer. Versions affected: 5.5.x Versions fixed: 5.5.04ebf(1868), 5.5.05 P4 change number: 52135, 52298 Modules affected: wod50 .... === You'll have to contact Tech ...

SQLAnywhere 5.5 ODBC driver
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------BA2B164F9A2D6643776A387B Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Could anybody please tell me if the ODBC driver for SQL Anywhere 5.5 on Windows NT is multithreaded?? I need this information to decide if I should use DB Pools or a database object on Netscape Live Wire. Thanks Thomas --------------BA2B164F9A2D6643776A387B Content-Type: text/x-vcard; charset=us-ascii; name="vcard.vcf" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Content-Description: Card for Thomas Bednarz Content-Disp...

ODBC Drivers for sqlanywhere 5.5?
I need to connect to a sqlaw 5.5 server through odbc. Can someone please tell me what I have to do/install to get odbc working? TIA John 1) MDAC 2.1 or better will install ODBC 3.51, you can get this at microsoft.com. 2) SA 5.5 Client install will install the ODBC driver you need. <John52> wrote in message news:4DC24ABEC11EE4C600009B0785256A2A.00009B1685256A2A@webforums... > I need to connect to a sqlaw 5.5 server through odbc. Can someone > please tell me what I have to do/install to get odbc working? TIA > > John ...

SQLAnywhere 5.5
We are running SQLAnywhere on a Novell 4.11 server. The DBSRV50.NLM is version 5.5.00 Build #1073. I am assuming this is the version of the database we are running of SQLAnywhere? Does this version support SMP? We are thinking of ordering another processor for the server, but don't want to waste money is the version of SQLAnywhere is not SMP aware or capable of using the extra processor? Thanks, Keith SQL Anywhere does not support SMP, ASA does but not on Novell. But, it won't hurt to add another processor. The OS will continue to use one and SQL Anywhe...

SQLAnywhere 5.5
We are running SQLAnywhere on a Novell 4.11 server. The DBSRV50.NLM is version 5.5.00 Build #1073. I am assuming this is the version of the database we are running of SQLAnywhere? Does this version support SMP? We are thinking of ordering another processor for the server, but don't want to waste money is the version of SQLAnywhere is not SMP aware or capable of using the extra processor? Thanks, Keith I already answered this in the general newsgroup. Please do not cross post. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Houston, TX I only crossed posted because this group has al...

SQLAnywhere 5.5 Connect to Linux ASA6
What ODBC driver do I need to connect (from win98) SQLAnywhere 5.5 to the Linux Version of SQLAnywhere Studio 6? Charles Munao munaoc@ptdprolog.net You need the ASA version 6 ODBC driver to talk to an ASA version 6 server. -john. Charles Munao wrote: > What ODBC driver do I need to connect (from win98) SQLAnywhere 5.5 to the > Linux Version of > SQLAnywhere Studio 6? > > Charles Munao > > munaoc@ptdprolog.net There is a compatibility driver you would need on the Linux box. I don't know what it is called on Linux. See "compa...

A little problem with sp on SQLAnywhere 5.5
Hi! I'm trying to understand and use stored procedures with SQLAnywhere 5.5 / PB6 On SQLAnywhere, I've declared my procedure like that : CREATE PROCEDURE sp_test(ident integer,out varcode integer) BEGIN SELECT ent_code INTO varcode FROM entreprise WHERE ent_id=ident END When I'm calling my procedure with ISQL, it works. Now, I declare my sp in PB6 : DECLARE my_sp FOR sp_test ident = :li_ident ; And I'm using it : EXECUTE my_sp; It doesn't works. I'm obtaining SQLCA.Sqlcode = -1 and SQLCA.SQLErrText = 'Transaction not connected'. I...

ASP Connection to SQLAnywhere 5.5 Server
Okay people, let me see if any of you all can help me. We are trying to develop a very small web app using Active Server Pages that will access a SQLAnywhere 5.5 Server Db. We have a web server that is upgraded to the latest NT, ODBC, IIS, IE, ADO, everything. The actual database is on another server, part of the same domain. I have a VB app that I wrote that will connect the database, using ADO and ODBC with no problem. How every, our ASP, which has almost the same code, will not. It will not even try to start dbclient. I need some advice here, if possible. I have looked all ...

Connection Pooling with SQLAnywhere 5.5.05
Does anyone know if SQLAnywhere 5.5.05 supports ODBC Connection Pooling? Thanks, Rhett Price IndySoft No. Jason Hinsperger Product Quality Adaptive Server Anywhere Rhett Price wrote: > > Does anyone know if SQLAnywhere 5.5.05 supports ODBC Connection Pooling? > > Thanks, > > Rhett Price > IndySoft ...

jConnect 5.2, SQLAnywhere 5.5 and BigDecimal
I have posted a question in the jconnect50 group but without response, so I am trying to post the question here as well. We are using jConnect 5.2 and it seems that we are unable to use PreparedStatement.setBigDecimal(...) fucntion correctly. When we try to save some BigDecimal into a SQLAnywhere 5.5 database, the data sometimes get updated correctly but sometimes it failed as an incorrect number is updated in the DB. For example, we can update the number "100.0" into the DB correctly, but if we were trying to update the value "100.1" then the column is update...

PB 11.5.1 and SqlAnywhere 5.5
When I open a datawindow in the datawindow painter and click Design>Data Source I get the following error message: SQLSTATE = 37000 [Sybase][ODBC Driver] Syntax error: unknown function 'user_id' The heading on the message is GetTriggers. I do not have any triggers on this database. I get the same error regardless of the datawindow I open when I click Data Source. I click OK and it seems to be okay but not 100% sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Jerry SQL Anywhere 5.5 has not been tested against PB 11.5.1. However, there is no reason that I can think that thi...

Web resources about - SQLAnywhere 5.5 Multi-ODBC Connection Problem - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere