SQL Anywhere and Windows7

Currently, we are running SQLAnywhere 8 on our Windows
Server 2003 file server and XP Pro clients. I am setting up
a new PC with Windows 7 64 bit. I am trying to install
version 9, which Sybase told me is compatible with 7. The
executable is SA_902_X64_developer.exe. I also have the
download for EBF 3294. I am having trouble getting it
installed. I enter the key and accept the default
installation directory of C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL
Anywhere 9 with shared components installing to C:\Program
Files\Sybase\Shared. I am getting an error at the end of the
installation. It reads "The runtime environment could not be
found in . Sybase Central has not been installed properly."
I am by no means an SQL expert.
0
DMG1969

Hello,

On 14/01/2011 1:28 PM, DMG1969 wrote:
> Currently, we are running SQLAnywhere 8 on our Windows
> Server 2003 file server and XP Pro clients. I am setting up
> a new PC with Windows 7 64 bit. I am trying to install
> version 9, which Sybase told me is compatible with 7. The
> executable is SA_902_X64_developer.exe. I also have the
> download for EBF 3294.

I will assume this is a typo; "9.0.2.3924" or above is required for
Windows 7.

>  I am having trouble getting it
> installed. I enter the key and accept the default
> installation directory of C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL
> Anywhere 9 with shared components installing to C:\Program
> Files\Sybase\Shared. I am getting an error at the end of the
> installation. It reads "The runtime environment could not be
> found in . Sybase Central has not been installed properly."

It should be noted that you could see this error message at the end of
the 9.0.2 GA (9.0.2.2451) install, simply because the original
9.0.2.2451 installer is not aware of 64-bit (x64) systems (we didn't
have x64 software builds available at that time) and was not tested for
Windows 7.

The error message is referring to the 'auto-launch' at the end of the
installation of DBISQL and Sybase Central to start the 'fast-launcher'
in the background. (
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals/sqlanywhere/0902/en/html/dbjten9/00000229.htm
). This step is failing - note though that the GA software should still
be properly installed, only the utilities will not launch until the EBF
is applied.

You should press "okay" to this message, and continue with the
9.0.2.3924 EBF install (in order to bring your 9.0.2 installation
up-to-date to be supported on Windows 7).

---

Note that the error message itself is referring to a "missing" registry
entry. On x64, the registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Sybase\Sybase Central\4.3\

should be populated (for 32-bit software), but I'm suspecting only:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Sybase\Sybase Central\4.3\

(for 64-bit software) was populated by the GA installer.

---

This same error was brought up previously on the forum here:

http://forums.sybase.com/cgi-bin/webnews.cgi?cmd=item-128133&group=sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general

Cheers,

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere, an SAP Company

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/
0
Jeff

SQL Anywhere, ASA and SQL Anywhere Studio.
Hello, I will want understand the history of the products names SQL Anywhere, ASA and SQL Anywhere Studio. Is an evolution of same product? Previously these exists Sybase SQL Server? Sybase SQL Server is the product what has been involved in project with Microsoft, what result in MS SQL Server? Thanks very much. Renato Cramer. <Renato Cramer> wrote: > I will want understand the history of the products names SQL > Anywhere, ASA and SQL Anywhere Studio. Watcom SQL -> Sybase SQL Anywhere -> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere. > Is an evolution of sa...

SQL Anywhere 9 / SQL Anywhere 11
Sybase 9.0.2.3534 Using Mobilink we are looking to synchronize a SQL Anywhere 9.0.2.3534 db with a SQL Anywhere 11 consolidated db, are there certain arguments I need to add to the server and client execution lines? Also, will SQL Anywhere 9 db work with SQL Anywhere 11 db via Remote Servers? Are there special parameters required? Thanks To synchronize a 9.0.2 client with an 11.0.1 MobiLink server you will need to use the -xo switch. -xo switch: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1101en/mlserver_en11/ml-syncserver-xo.html The remainder of the MobiLink switches will be specif...

help document engine for SQL Anywhere 6/general information on Anywhere 6?
I'm wondering what the help engine will be for SQL Anywhere 6--will it be HTML Help like MS SQL Server, or standard HTML-based online docs? Also, is there a section of the Sybase web site which previews any of the features of Anywhere 6? I can't seem to find any information on this. Thanks, Mairi Reyer >I'm wondering what the help engine will be for SQL Anywhere 6--will it >be HTML Help like MS SQL Server, or standard HTML-based online docs? I haven't heard anything about that. >Also, is there a section of the Sybase web site which previews any of...

any difference between sql anywhere and sql anywhere studio
Is there any difference between sql anywhere and sql anywhere studio? Thanks. >Is there any difference between sql anywhere and sql anywhere studio? The answer depends upon the context of the question. Years ago, "sql anywhere" referred to the DBMS that is now known as Adaptive Server Anywhere. Now, "sql anywhere" can mean a general reference to a set of products that includes ASA, as well as some other things. "sql anywhere studio" is a particular bundling of these products. Still, sometimes when people refer to "sql anywhere" t...

SQL Anywhere for QNX -> SQL Anywhere for NT
Hello! I have a system (local server with http-server and Sybase SQL Anywhere) on QNX - several cgi-programs written on Watcom C with embedded SQL. Now I want to try to move all programs to Win NT. But I don't have time to entirely rewrite all the programs. Also currently I don't have opportunity to try SQL Anywhere for NT. So before I begin to experiment I want to ask some questions. First of all, I want to try to recompile all my cgi-programs with Watcom C for DOS using SQL Anywhere for NT sql-preprocessor. (btw, I don't use any qnx-specific functions in my programs). ...

Having SQL Anywhere 10 and SQL Anywhere 11 on the same machine
Hi Everyone, I have one customer that runs SQL Anywhere 10 and another customer running SQL Anywhere 11. This means I need to run both versions. I do not have the luxury of running multiple VMs on my laptop. I am wondering if anyone out there has experience on how to do this? Appreciate if any info can be shared! Thanks! YM. In article <e486d794-5fa5-4ae4-9f7b- d5e43689608a@w6g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>, yusuf.mai@gmail.com says... > Hi Everyone, > > I have one customer that runs SQL Anywhere 10 and another customer > running SQL Anywhere 11. This mean...

Upgrading from SQL Anywhere 8 to SQL Anywhere 11
I am upgrading from SQL Anywhere 8 to SQL Anywhere 11. I am using the "Unload" wizard in Sybase Central. I am choosing the option "Unload and reload into a new database." After following the wizard, the new database does get created BUT it won't load the structure and data from the old database into the newly created database. I get a *** User Authentication Failed *** message. Any ideas? Thank you, Rommel Rommel, I assume you're using the OEM version of our v11 software? In this scenario, the message means that you're running a non-auth...

Conversion from SQL Anywhere 5 to SQL Anywhere Studio 7
Hello All, If I start a database SQL Anywhere 5 with dbsrv8 and start Sybase Central (8) I can choose for a conversion of database to version 8. Can I proceed of the mode same for convert from SQL Anywhere 5 to SQL Anywhere Studio 7? Thanks in advance. A good day for all. Renato Cramer renato@domsis.com.br Yes, that's the right approach... when upgrading from version X to Y, use only version Y software (dbsrv, dbunload, dbisql, etc). That only applies up to Y = 9 (newsgroup messages live forever, and eventually folks will be looking for tips about converting to 10 w...

Upgrade from SQL Anywhere 9.02 to SQL Anywhere 10
Hello, This is my first question asked in this forum. I have been developed both Window and ASP.Net applications using Visual studio 2003 with C#.Net. It still uses .Net 1.1 with SQL Anywhere 9.02. Products need to be released for beta test very soon. I would like to use 'ClearPool' for database connection which I can remove a specific connection from .Net connection pool when I use the connection string as POOLING=TRUE. I cannot do this in .Net 1.1 and SQL Anywhere 9.02. I believe that this feature just added into .Net 2.0 and SQL Anywhere 10. I am using .Net Data ...

Where is the SQL Anywhere General newsgroup?
Am I missing something, or has the SQLAnywhereGeneral newsgroup disappeared? Steve It's there, sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general on forums.sybase.com where it's always been. There was a long outage recently, and a rebuild of the server. Your newsgroup reader may be confused about things. FWIW Forte Agent had no problems other than walking *all* the messages on the first sync after the server came back. Breck On Thu, 4 Oct 2001 12:32:42 +0100, "Steve Moran" <spamyenot.steve@letyenotspam.silverlink.co.uk> wrote: >Am I missing something, or h...

SQL Anywhere Client (AIX) to Access SQL Anywhere 8.0
What client is needed to access SQL Anywhere 8.0 from an AIX client machine? Where can I download it? The Unix version of SQL Anywhere Studio is available for purchase. The client software is included in the package. Your sales rep can assist you with the pricing details for client licenses. -- ----------------------------------------------- Robert Waywell Certified SQL Anywhere Associate Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions Please respond ONLY to newsgroup EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to al...

sql anywhere 10 .NET provider & sql anywhere 8 server
sql anywhere 10 .NET provider & sql anywhere 8 server are there any major known issues other than test for my scenarios or it is not compatible at all. i was able to connect, add, delete & update records on a simple table & dataset. Env: VS 2005 .NET 2.0 & sql anywhere 10 thanks vsv This configuration should work. But we do not do significant (if any) testing of this configuration, so you should ensure you do thorough testing with your application. -- Ian McHardy (iAnywhere Solutions) Please reply only to the newsgroup. Whitepapers, TechDo...

Moving from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere 8.0
Dear Sirs/user group, We would like to upgrade the sybase SQL Anywhere from version 5.5.05 database to version 8. I am told that the table names we currently use and maybe the procedures and triggers names are too long; 28 and 16 characters respectively. That is the maximum name length allowed in version 8? If I upgrade and SQL 8 shortens the table names, will the procedures be updated to reflect the changes of the table names? Or will I have to do all the changes manually, going through each procedure with a fine tooth comb? Thanks in advance, Oded Szpiro oded@travelca...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere Studio 6.0
Is the upgrade from 5.5.05 to Studio 6.0 a simple incremental upgrade? Can I complete this upgrade without code changes? It depends on the code. Sorry to be vague but that's the truth. It is described in great detail in the Help for ASA 6... ===== ASA New Features and Upgrading Guide CHAPTER 6. Upgrading From SQL Anywhere to Adaptive Server Anywhere This chapter describes upgrade procedures for users of SQL Anywhere Versions 5.0 and 5.5, and users of Watcom SQL 4.0. ===== Most ordinary SQL commands (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) will NOT have to be changed at al...

Web resources about - SQL Anywhere and Windows7 - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Ted Cruz says Donald Trump becoming 'rattled' by his gains
WASHINGTON, New Hampshire (AP) — Ted Cruz accused his Republican rival Donald Trump Monday of exhibiting inconsistent conservativism and said ...

Exclusive: Hellenic Petroleum to meet Iran oil officials on Friday
Hellenic Petroleum, Greece's biggest oil refiner, will meet top Iranian oil officials on Friday to discuss crude oil imports from Iran, a company ...

Nina Simone Sings a Song for MLK in Trailer for Netflix Doc
Nina Simone sings a song mourning the death of Martin Luther King, Jr. in the first trailer for Netflix documentary “What Happened, Miss Simone?” ...

62 richest people have as much as wealth as half of world’s population, report finds
The 62 richest people on the planet have as much wealth as the poorest half of the world’s population, according to a new report from Oxfam. ...

Spike Lee to Boycott Oscars Because They’re Too White
Director Spike Lee announced Monday that he would be boycotting the 2016 Academy Awards, protesting the lack of minority nominees. “I would ...

SpaceX Fails To Land Rocket On A Ship Yet Again
SpaceX has already tried to land its Falcon 9 reusable rocket on a floating ship in the ocean multiple times and, unfortunately, it has not been ...

WhatsApp drops subscription fee, goes completely free
Unlike most popular messaging apps, WhatsApp, the messaging service that Facebook bought in 2014 , charges a $1 annual subscription fee after ...

David Bowie Gets His Own Constellation
What better way to honor David Bowie than by naming a constellation after the iconic artist. The world continues to mourn the passing of this ...

More National Guard Troops Move into Flint as Water Crisis Widens
NBCNews.com More National Guard Troops Move into Flint as Water Crisis Widens NBCNews.com The National Guard sent dozens of additional members ...

Utah Officer Was Paying off Cancer Bills When He Was Killed
Officials say the veteran Utah police officer who was working overtime to pay for his cancer treatments was shot to death by a fugitive who went ...