SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and 5.5.05

I have several queries, all of which involve outer joins, that produce
different results when run against SQL Anywhere versions 5.5.05 Build #2787
and 5.5.04 Build #1867. I realize the outer join syntax is awkward and it
does produce an error when run against version 7 of SQL Anywhere. However, I
didn't expect different results within version 5 releases.

I'm going to have the queries reconstructed, but I'm looking for an
explanation on what happened between those two releases. I have scoured the
documentation and release notes for .04, .05, and even the 7.0
documentation. I have not found anything stated but bug fixes when relating
to outer joins. Does anyone have some info?

Russ

Probably the change in result sets is directly related to one of the fixes you
saw.
One of the main reasons this syntax is more tightly monitored in 7.0 is because
the TSQL outer join syntax is ambigous, meaning that depending on how the join
is interepreted, you can get different results.  The fact that yourquery gives
an error in 7.0 is an indication that it is ambiguous and that a fix to 5.5.05
may have in fact changed the way the outer join was interepreted by the
optimizer.

The only way to be sure would be to log a support case and get technical support
to follow it up.

--
Jason Hinsperger
International and Sustaining Engineering

Russ Fleming wrote:

> I have several queries, all of which involve outer joins, that produce
> different results when run against SQL Anywhere versions 5.5.05 Build #2787
> and 5.5.04 Build #1867. I realize the outer join syntax is awkward and it
> does produce an error when run against version 7 of SQL Anywhere. However, I
> didn't expect different results within version 5 releases.
>
> I'm going to have the queries reconstructed, but I'm looking for an
> explanation on what happened between those two releases. I have scoured the
> documentation and release notes for .04, .05, and even the 7.0
> documentation. I have not found anything stated but bug fixes when relating
> to outer joins. Does anyone have some info?
>
> Thanks

0
Jason
12/5/2001 6:07:27 PM
If the query involved a single table that was on the null-supplying side and the non-null-supplying side of two outer
joins in your query, then the result set from that query is ambiguous.  it wouldn't surprise me that you get different
results from 5504 and 5505, and also wouldn't surprise me if you got different results from different EBF versions at
the same release number.

The following documentation was added in v6.0.0 I believe :

ASA User's Guide
  PART 2. Working with Databases
    CHAPTER 7. Joins: Retrieving Data from Several Tables
      Transact-SQL outer joins

Transact-SQL outer join restrictions

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Certified SQL Anywhere Associate

ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL and click "GO"

"Russ Fleming" <rfleming@datavantage.com> wrote in message news:$7Qo4yafBHA.319@forums.sybase.com...
> I have several queries, all of which involve outer joins, that produce
> different results when run against SQL Anywhere versions 5.5.05 Build #2787
> and 5.5.04 Build #1867. I realize the outer join syntax is awkward and it
> does produce an error when run against version 7 of SQL Anywhere. However, I
> didn't expect different results within version 5 releases.
>
> I'm going to have the queries reconstructed, but I'm looking for an
> explanation on what happened between those two releases. I have scoured the
> documentation and release notes for .04, .05, and even the 7.0
> documentation. I have not found anything stated but bug fixes when relating
> to outer joins. Does anyone have some info?
>
> Thanks

0
Reg

Sql Anywhere 5.5.01 to 5.5.04
Hi everyone, I want to update my SQL anywhere 5.5.01 to a 5.5.04. I went to sybase internet address but I can not found anything. Somebody knows were to found it? Thanks ----------------------------------- Frederic MARGARIDO fred@radiosoft.org Go to http://support.sybase.com/esd/sqlany.html Leo Tohill - Team Powersoft -- Please post in newsgroup, not via email < ...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and jConnect 5.5
Does jConnect 5.5 work with SQL Anywhere 5.5.04? I was just wondering since the Installation Guide for jConnect 5.5 states that Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.23 is required. If the two are incompatible, then what jConnect version will work with SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and where can it be downloaded? Thank you. Do this search in Google Groups: "SQL Anywhere 5" jconnect group:*.sqlanywhere.* Looks like you need to go through OSG, which is described in the Help: SQL Anywhere User's Guide PART 4. Transact-SQL Compatibility CHAPTER 32. Using the Open Server Gateway ...

Using SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 with DBRemote 5.5.05 on the Same Windows 2000 Server
Is it possible to use SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 with DBRemote 5.5.05 on the Same Windows 2000 Server? If so how do you upgrade just the DBRemote portion? Rich Edwards It's possible but I wouldn't suggest it. If you do want to do it, there are two options : 1) Read over the Client Application Deployment whitepaper (http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002363) and find out the minimum files required to run dbremote. Install the full 5505 software (with EBF just for good measure) on another machine and then copy over the required files to the machine running 5504 into a separate di...

upgrade 5.5.04 to 5.5.05
I have build 1982 of 5.5.04 installed and tried to install 5.5.05 over this since there were a lot of bug-fixes. After installation had finished I notised that the installation had not replaced any files. I suspect the reason is that build 1982 of 5.5.04 has newer date (sep. 7. 99) than 5.5.05 (july 22. 99). What is the best version for me to use? If 5.5.05. is the best version, how should i upgrade? Thanks in advance, Lars Yes this is true - we look at file dates Please backup your software, then install 5.5.04 off your CD, then install 5.5.05 patch Lars Inge ...

5.5.03 OR 5.5.04 ?
I've just installed the 5.5.04 maint release. On opening my database (created in 5.5), its properties state that the version is 5.5.03. As many have no doubt upgraded to 5.5.04, could someone pls advise if this is 'correct' behaviour? Many thanks in advance -- MAX HUGEN Hugen Enterprises Pty Ltd Email: maxhugen@ozemail.com.au Tel: +612 9560 3061 Fax: +612 9564 5073 >I've just installed the 5.5.04 maint release. On opening my database >(created in 5.5), its properties state that the version is 5.5.03. >As many have no doubt upgraded to 5.5.04, could...

5.5.03 or 5.5.04??
I hope this has not been asked to death? But I will be upgrading our test system from 5.5.02 build 1495 to either 5.5.03 or 5.5.04. First is there anything in 03 that is not included in 04? Second, are there any known problems with 04? I'll listen to facts, rumors, opinions, etc. TIA Shannon 5.5.04 seems pretty stable. -- Terry Black HCIA, Inc. e-mail:tblac@hcia.com Shannon Griffith wrote in message ... >I hope this has not been asked to death? But I will be upgrading our test >system from 5.5.02 build 1495 to either 5.5.03 or 5.5.04. First is there >a...

SQL Anywhere starting with 5.5.04EBF(1928), 5.5.05 (2365) work with Netware 5.1?
I realize versions of SQL Anywhere starting with 5.5.04EBF(1928), 5.5.05 (2365) will work on Netware 5. Will it still work with Netware version 5.1 as well? Thanks, Robert Yes. -- Reg Domaratzki Sybase iAnywhere Solutions Please reply only to the newsgroup ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio -> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL and click "GO" <Anonymous@sybase.com> wrote in message news:4A03EDD9063D386B006894B085256966.006894BF85256966@webforums.....

Behavioural differences between 5.5.04 and 5.5.05
We are looking at going to the latest EBF for 5.5.05. Are their any behavioural differences between 5.5.05 and 5.5.04 other than bug fixes. We are currently running Build #1921 5.5.04 on WINNT. Thanks, Todd Thompson A difference that I have encountered is in using the db_backup() functions to mimic the functionality of the Dbbackup utility. When backing up the log file you can't read pages until SQLE_NOTFOUND is returned because it returns SQLE_BACKUP_NOT_STARTED after all pages have been read. Todd L.T. wrote in message <39c26c79@rpc1284.daytonoh.ncr.com>......

Migration from 5.5.04 to 5.5.05 on Netware
Hi! Could I run into trouble in the following scenario: We have an app that uses 5.5.04. The server used to be 5.5.04, too. Now the client has updated Netware to version 5 and the server crashes. I've been told to upgrade to 5.5.05 EBF. Question: Are there any known problems using an app with 5.5.04 on a Netware server with 5.5.05? Regards, Heinz You must get an EBF from Tech Support to run 5.5.04 on Netware 5. Or you could save yourself the trouble and just download 5.5.05 which will run on Netware 5 without any EBF. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Houston, TX Sybas...

5.5.04.1867 to latest 5.5.05
Hi, I have been scanning this newsgroup for the definitive answer to my question and there seems to be some different opinions. The question is this. I have 5.5.04.1867 and want to go to the latest 5.5.05 version ( build 2787 I believe ). How do I do it properly? I downloaded the latest 5.5.05 EBF and applied it. It updated several files as I would expect, and when DBENG50 runs, it does indeed tell me the correct new version. I have read, however, that you should install the 5.5.05 Maintenance update first. Can someone tell me if this is true, and what does the Maintenance update do...

dbbackup change from 5.5.04 to 5.5.05
I'm trying to figure out how to adjust my "dbbackup" command script to work with SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 changes. Under 5.5.04, the following command would run from either the NT4 server or client PCs: dbbackup.exe -c "dbn=dbname;uid=dba;pwd=dba_pw" -d -t -y archive_dir After the 5.5.05 update, I can only get dbbackup running by adding the "eng" to the connect string AND only from a client PC: dbbackup.exe -c "dbn=dbname;uid=dba;pwd=dba_pw;eng=dbserver" -d -t -y archive_dir I cannot seem to get the script running on the NT serv...

Problem shifting from 5.5.04 to 5.5.05
Hi, I'm not sure I've picked the right newsgroup, but anyway I have the following problem: I use ADO to access the database. Whenever I needed a new entry I used to do: recordset.Open( SELECT * FROM AnyName WHERE ID = -1 ) which opened an empty recordset cause there's never an ID -1 recordset.AddNew recordset: set some values recordset.Update this used to work with Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04. Now I've changed to 5.5.05 and this doesn't work no more. The Update doesn't fail, but still nothing goes to the database. If I open the recordset with a command t...

SQLAnywhere 5.5.04ebf(1868), 5.5.05
Hello! I have recieved message from "owner-inews-tech-sqlanywhere@sybase.com" with Subject "Delphi users". Where can I obtain new ebf(s)? I found only 5.5.03 in the Software library. (http://support.sybase.com/esd/sqlany.html) ==== Subject: Bug Fix / Enhancement (PTrack 479443) - .... Summary: Delphi can't insert Blobs > 32k - SQLBindParameter only inserted the first 32k of a given buffer. Versions affected: 5.5.x Versions fixed: 5.5.04ebf(1868), 5.5.05 P4 change number: 52135, 52298 Modules affected: wod50 .... === You'll have to contact Tech ...

SQL ANYWHERE 5.5.04 and Netware 5
Can i use SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 (Client NT workstation) with Server Netware 5 full IP. Thanks. Sort of. You'll need an EBF for 5.5.04 (or just get the 5.5.05 version) to run on Netware 5. You should upgrade the client at the same time but this may not be necessary. Your experience with different client & server versions may vary however. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Houston, TX Sybase Developers Network http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm ...

Web resources about - SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and 5.5.05 - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Powerball: Where Are The Winners
Where are the new multimillionaires from?

17 Apple Watch 2 rumors
Apple’s keeping a really tight lid on Apple Watch rumors, but here’s current speculation as it prepares to announce Apple Watch 2. March China’s ...

Full Episode: WN 01/13/16: Iran Releases Navy Sailors
Surprising Republican response to State of the Union; Powerball jackpot tips if you win.

Google Now launcher forces Android apps to literally fit in
Anyone wringing their hands over the fact that their Android apps just don't line up flush will be delighted with an update to Google Now's launcher ...

Co-Star Of David Bowie’s 1983 Song ‘China Girl’ Recalls Her Time With The Late Star: ‘He Was Beautiful’ ...
Amid the voluminous tributes and reminiscences regarding recently departed rock icon David Bowie, few are more candid and touching than the fond ...

Adios Al Jazeera America. The network closes its door.
In some ways I’m actually surprised that it took three years, but Al Jazeera America is shutting down. The Washington Post has the top line , ...

Pewdiepie gathers online video stars for entertainment network
YouTube star Pewdiepie wouldn't earn millions from the video platform if he weren't tremendously popular, so creating a network of his own sounds ...

Kate del Castillo Breaks Silence About El Chapo Interview
Kate del Castillo, the Mexican actress who helped arrange Sean Penn’s Rolling Stone interview with Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán, took to social ...

AT&T chooses Ubuntu Linux instead of Microsoft Windows
While Linux's share of the desktop pie is still virtually nonexistent, it owns two arguably more important markets servers and smartphones. As ...

This ‘High School Crush Stalker’ Will Make You Laugh And Cry
Writer Marian Bull , isn’t alone in stalking her old high school crush and regretted it. We’ve all done it and kicked ourselves every time. Sometimes ...