SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0

Hi All!

I was just wondering if I can have both SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 and Microsoft
SQL Server 7.0 databases on the same machine?  I have two applications using
two different databases, and using two different type of ODBC configuration
setting.  For some reason, when I installed the application which used MS
SQL Server 7.0, my other application using SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 crashed or
just doesn't work like it used to.  I read somewhere that both SQL Anywhere
5.5.02 and MS SQL Server 7.0 can be on the same machine but I need some
clarification.  If I need to upgrade my SQL Anywhere 5.5.02, can anyone tell
me which version I should upgrade to, without having to make any changes to
my database?  Thank you all!

Regards,
Michelle

0
Michelle

They can coexist.  Perhaps the installation of  MS SS7 upgraded the ODBC driver manager.  That old
version of SA might have a problem with certain versions of the driver manager.  I would upgrade to
sa 5.5.05, at least, if not asa7.

You should be able to upgrade to asa7 without changing your database or application.  However, there
are a few isolated cases where previously allowed (but ambiguous) syntax is now not allowed.  You
could download an evaluation copy of asa7 to do some pre-purchase testing.

>I was just wondering if I can have both SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 and Microsoft
>SQL Server 7.0 databases on the same machine?  I have two applications using
>two different databases, and using two different type of ODBC configuration
>setting.  For some reason, when I installed the application which used MS
>SQL Server 7.0, my other application using SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 crashed or
>just doesn't work like it used to.  I read somewhere that both SQL Anywhere
>5.5.02 and MS SQL Server 7.0 can be on the same machine but I need some
>clarification.  If I need to upgrade my SQL Anywhere 5.5.02, can anyone tell
>me which version I should upgrade to, without having to make any changes to
>my database?  Thank you all!

Leo Tohill - Team Sybase
>> Please post in newsgroup, not via email <<
Useful links:
Downloads: http://www.sybase.com/developer/mobile/
Submit Bug Reports: http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm?starturl=casemessage.ssc?CASETYPE=Bug
0
leotohill
10/10/2000 10:34:53 PM
I have been running a setup just like this with no problems for about a
year.  The ODBC Driver manager location seems to have changed, leaving the
shortcut provided by Sybase invalid, but if you go in through the control
panel it works fine.

One nasty I discovered is that SQLServer7 and SQLAny both have an isql.exe,
but they are very different programs.  Depending on installation order of
database engine, scripts that reference one or the other without
qualification of the path may turn out pretty strange.

All this said, this is my development box, I would almost never run two
database servers on the same production server - if I could get away with it
:-)

yours
wilf silversides.

0
wilf
10/11/2000 9:57:26 PM
ik
0
lkjlj

Replication between SQL Server 11.0.2 and SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3
Does anyone know if exists some document with the details on Replication between Sybase SQL Server 11.0.2 and SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3 using Replication Server 11.0.3. I�m having some troubles with this configuration and I�m wondering if I�m doing something wrong. Thanks in advance. ...

Migrating from SQL Anywhere 5.5 to MS SQL 7.0
I have a large application written in Powerbuilder 6.5.1 using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5. I would like to change the database to Microsoft SQL Server 7.0. The app has the following : 300 datawindows / datastores Embedded SQL in about 100 events / functions. The Database has the following: 50 tables with indexes and foriegn keys NO stored procedures or triggers. I'm pretty sure I want to use ODBC and not native drivers. Question : If there a paper that will help me through this migration process. Hopefully I would not have to change any datawindows! I have already migra...

PB 8 and SQL Anywhere 5.5, SQL Server 7
Does anyone know if there any known issues for a PB 8.0 Enterprise application connecting to SQL Server 7.0? Connecting to SQL Anywhere 5.5? Thanks in advance. Michael A. Falcone iCorpsTechnologies, Inc. mfalcone@icorpstech.com ...

Upgrading from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0.2
We are running SQLA5505 and now want to upgrade to ASA702. For we have several stored procedures that we were not able to unload and reload, we thought of doing the upgrading process slowly, step by step: 1st, running the old database file under dbeng7.exe, 2nd, upgrading the old database file to level 7, 3rd, reloading the database file to complete level 7 features. But at this point, there startet a discussion, what features we can use in what level, so my question is: What features of Sybase 7 can we use, if we do that stepts? What can we do with no uprading, what needs an upgrade,...

help on updating database sql anywhere 5.0 to sql adaptive server 7.0
If anyone knows how to update db to adaptive server 7.0 You have two choices : 1) Run dbunload against your v5.0 database to generate a reload.sql and a series of .dat files that contain the data in the tables. You can use either the v7 dbunload or the v5 dbunload (unless the database participates in a replication, in which case the v7 dbunload should be used). Now, at v7, initialize a new database, and run dbisqlc to read the reload.sql file. This will re-create all the schema that existed in the old database and re-load all the data. You can discard the reload.sql and .dat file...

MS SQL 7.0 & SQL Anywhere 5.5 on same machine
Is this possible?????? We've got one product that uses SQL Anywhere 5.5 server and we'd like to also put MS SQL 7.0 on the same box. Would there be any problem with this configuration???? Thanks, Peter I run SSA5505, ASA8 and SQL Server 2000 all on one machine with no problems whatsoever. Ach Peter Brown wrote: > Is this possible?????? > > We've got one product that uses SQL Anywhere 5.5 server and we'd like to > also put MS SQL 7.0 on the same box. > > Would there be any problem with this configuration???? > > T...

Upgrading SQL Anywhere from 5.0 to 5.5.02 question
Can the SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 patch be applied to SQL Anywhere 5.0 directly or do I need to upgrade to 5.5.00 and then apply the 5.5.02 patch? (I need to reload a computer and am trying to save as many steps as possible.) Thanks! >Can the SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 patch be applied to SQL Anywhere >5.0 directly or do I need to upgrade to 5.5.00 and then apply the 5.5.02 You can apply the patch directly to any 5.x installation. Leo Tohill - Team Powersoft > Please post in newsgroup - I don't respond to email requests < Hello Leo, Can you please confirm ...

SQL Anywhere 5.0 and SQL Server 11.0
Hi, we have the folowing problem in my company. There is a SYBASE version 11.0.3 installation by one of our customers. My company which is a producing financial software would like to install there Sybase SQL Anywhere (version 5.5.00) as database for our programs. Is it possible to have these two databases on one server (Netware or Windows NT) ? It is an important case for us. Jakub Yes you can run those two together. Just to push the limit I ran SQL Anywhere, MS SQL Server and Sybase SQL Server all at the same time on my NT Server at home. No complaints from any of the...

Moving from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere 8.0
Dear Sirs/user group, We would like to upgrade the sybase SQL Anywhere from version 5.5.05 database to version 8. I am told that the table names we currently use and maybe the procedures and triggers names are too long; 28 and 16 characters respectively. That is the maximum name length allowed in version 8? If I upgrade and SQL 8 shortens the table names, will the procedures be updated to reflect the changes of the table names? Or will I have to do all the changes manually, going through each procedure with a fine tooth comb? Thanks in advance, Oded Szpiro oded@travelca...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere Studio 6.0
Is the upgrade from 5.5.05 to Studio 6.0 a simple incremental upgrade? Can I complete this upgrade without code changes? It depends on the code. Sorry to be vague but that's the truth. It is described in great detail in the Help for ASA 6... ===== ASA New Features and Upgrading Guide CHAPTER 6. Upgrading From SQL Anywhere to Adaptive Server Anywhere This chapter describes upgrade procedures for users of SQL Anywhere Versions 5.0 and 5.5, and users of Watcom SQL 4.0. ===== Most ordinary SQL commands (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) will NOT have to be changed at al...

Migrating SQL Server anywhere 5.5.04 to SQL Server 2000
Can anyone help in pointing me in the right direction to find out useful information on migrating a Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 database to SQL Server 2000. I cannot find any useful information about this ie known problems, processes etc. Thanks Chris wrote: > Can anyone help in pointing me in the right direction to > find out useful information on migrating a Sybase SQL > Anywhere 5.5.04 database to SQL Server 2000. I cannot find > any useful information about this ie known problems, > processes etc. If you already have a solution on SA 5 (now ASA), why are yo...

SQL Anywhere runtime 5.0.02 and PB 5.0.04
Hi. We currently use PB5.0.02 and want to implement PB5.0.04. We purchased SQL Anywhere runtime system for standalone use and I'd like advise as to how to update this... or whether I need to. As I understand it the 5.0.04 setup will update SQL Anywhere on my machine but we use the runtime floppies at remote sites. On a related matter when we update a client with a newer PB5.0.04 application and relevant DLLs do we actually need to do anything to the database or ODBC profile? Thanks for the help, Adam. You can download the current release of SQL Anywhere through the S...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 with MS SQL Server
I have a client who would like to run SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 on the same server machine as Microsoft SQL server. Is this possable. What type of issues should I expect. Any information would be helpful. TIA Chris Christopher K. Taylor wrote: > > I have a client who would like to run SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 on the same server > machine as Microsoft SQL server. Is this possable. What type of issues > should I expect. Any information would be helpful. TIA Yes, you can run both of these environments on the same machine. The only issues I can think of have to do with...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 with SQL Server 2000
I am having a problem starting a SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 engine on a Windows 2000 server already running Microsoft Server 2000. Does anyone know of any problems associated with running this configuration or why it isn't working. Perhaps you can clarify what specifically is happening? i.e., errors, specific behaviour, how you are starting the database, can it start if MS SQL Server is not running? -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 **************************************************************************** * Sign up today for your copy ...

Web resources about - SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 and Microsoft SQL Server 7.0 - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Microsoft Corporation

Microsoft Cloud Partner - Home

Microsoft Hohm Service Discontinuation
Microsoft-Hohm discontinuation message