SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.5 and VMWare

Are there any known issues with using SQL Anywhere on a
Virtualised VMWare server, especially around replication
processes ?
We have a replication intensive db that our corporate IT
dept want to virtualise onto a new server running VMWare.
I need to know if there are any do's and don'ts that we
should be aware of.

Thanks in advance
0
Ian

VMWare is not actually a support platform for ASA. Having said that, because
VMWare is designed to be a virtual OS, we should still run within this
environment. If there are problems that are encountered in a VMWare session,
that cannot be reproduce using an actual OS, then you will need to work with
the VMWare vendor to resolve these problems. There may be a significant
performance degradation running ASA in a VMWare session.

--
Joshua Savill
iAnywhere Solutions - Product Support Analyst

<Ian> wrote in message news:431c4195.5a72.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Are there any known issues with using SQL Anywhere on a
> Virtualised VMWare server, especially around replication
> processes ?
> We have a replication intensive db that our corporate IT
> dept want to virtualise onto a new server running VMWare.
> I need to know if there are any do's and don'ts that we
> should be aware of.
>
> Thanks in advance

0
Joshua
9/6/2005 2:06:37 PM
Joshua Savill wrote:
> VMWare is not actually a support platform for ASA. Having said that, because
> VMWare is designed to be a virtual OS, we should still run within this
> environment. If there are problems that are encountered in a VMWare session,
> that cannot be reproduce using an actual OS, then you will need to work with
> the VMWare vendor to resolve these problems. There may be a significant
> performance degradation running ASA in a VMWare session.

Pssst  - Don't tell anyone (and we'll deny it is supported if asked) but
we use VMWare within tech support and I can't recall ever having issues
with it

/steve
--
Stephen Rice
Technical Services Manager

--- Please Post ---
Whitepapers, Tech Docs, Solved Cases, Bug Fixes and
"Report a bug" are all available on www.ianywhere.com
0
Stephen
9/6/2005 7:15:42 PM
Since VMWare is a virtual PC (hardware), not virual OS, I
think it will work just fine.

Just be sure to install an OS supported by ASA5, ie, Win9x, etc

Oliver

Ian wrote:
> Are there any known issues with using SQL Anywhere on a
> Virtualised VMWare server, especially around replication
> processes ?
> We have a replication intensive db that our corporate IT
> dept want to virtualise onto a new server running VMWare.
> I need to know if there are any do's and don'ts that we
> should be aware of.
>
> Thanks in advance
0
Oliver

SQL Anywhere 5.5 and Netware 5.0
I understand that SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 as shipped will not work properly with Novell Netware 5.0. Has anyone heard whether Sybase intends to release a version update to resolve these problems such as version 5.5.05? Alternatively, is there a later build of version 5.5.04 which will resolve the problems? Yes, there is an EBF available through Tech Support that allows 5.5.04 to run on Netware 5. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com Houston, TX ...

SQL Anywhere 5.5 and Novell 5.0
Does any one know if SQLAnywhere 5.5 will run okay on Novell 5.0? We have a client that had 5.5 running on Novell 4 and they upgraded to Novell 5.0. When they have the database running, it is locking up the Novell console. There is an EBF that allows 5.5.04 to run in a NW 5 environment. Mark Black schrieb: > > Does any one know if SQLAnywhere 5.5 will run okay on Novell 5.0? We have a > client that had 5.5 running on Novell 4 and they upgraded to Novell 5.0. > When they have the database running, it is locking up the Novell console. ...

Triggers in SQL Anywhere 5.5.0 and PowerBuilder 5.0.03
Hi: I'm trying to get a series of triggers working, but am having lots of difficulties. Initially, the following trigger did not update the 'product' table on an insert. create trigger ti_inventory after insert on inventory referencing new as new_inventory for each row begin update product set product.current_in_stock = product.current_in_stock + new_inventory.qty_new + new_inventory.qty_used_excl + new_inventory.qty_used_good + new_inventory.qty_used_poor where product.product_code = new_inventory.product_code end; I tried to put other commands into the t...

Sql Anywhere 5.5.01 to 5.5.04
Hi everyone, I want to update my SQL anywhere 5.5.01 to a 5.5.04. I went to sybase internet address but I can not found anything. Somebody knows were to found it? Thanks ----------------------------------- Frederic MARGARIDO fred@radiosoft.org Go to http://support.sybase.com/esd/sqlany.html Leo Tohill - Team Powersoft -- Please post in newsgroup, not via email < ...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and 5.5.05
I have several queries, all of which involve outer joins, that produce different results when run against SQL Anywhere versions 5.5.05 Build #2787 and 5.5.04 Build #1867. I realize the outer join syntax is awkward and it does produce an error when run against version 7 of SQL Anywhere. However, I didn't expect different results within version 5 releases. I'm going to have the queries reconstructed, but I'm looking for an explanation on what happened between those two releases. I have scoured the documentation and release notes for .04, .05, and even the 7.0 documentation....

SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and jConnect 5.5
Does jConnect 5.5 work with SQL Anywhere 5.5.04? I was just wondering since the Installation Guide for jConnect 5.5 states that Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.23 is required. If the two are incompatible, then what jConnect version will work with SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and where can it be downloaded? Thank you. Do this search in Google Groups: "SQL Anywhere 5" jconnect group:*.sqlanywhere.* Looks like you need to go through OSG, which is described in the Help: SQL Anywhere User's Guide PART 4. Transact-SQL Compatibility CHAPTER 32. Using the Open Server Gateway ...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and Novell 5.0
Hello. When a NetWare 5.0 server attempts to load SQL Anywhere 5.5.04, the server goes down. I understand from an on-line Sybase solved case that SQL Anywhere did not support NetWare 5.0 until build #1928. Since I have build #1867, the older build is probably the problem. Can anyone tell me how to obtain SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 build #1928, hopefully free of charge? What is an alternative solution? Thank you. Ron Sochanski The only available download is SA 5.5.05. You will need to first download the maintenace release for to go to SA 5.5.05 and tehm apply the EBF 2817. P...

SQL Anywhere 5.5 on Netware 5.0
Is anyone successfully running SQL Anywhere on NetWare 5.0? When I load SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 on my NetWare 5.0 server, it hangs. I turned in a bug over 2 months ago to Sybase documenting that SA 5.5.04 would abend NetWare 5.0 Beta 3, but since no patch was issued, I assumed it was a Beta problem. Now that I have installed the final release version of NetWare 5.0, SQL Anywhere hangs after initializing the available communication protocols. All other NLMs run just fine. I'm wondering if it is a problem with my specific hardware, or if it is a bug in SQL Anywhere. Thanks, Bren...

Pb 5.0 Desktop with sql anywhere 5.5
Hi, I am using pb 5.0 Desktop and i want know if sql anywhere 5.5 works with my development enviroment, or if dont work if there are any option (such ODBC drivers) to make work together. ...

Netware 5.0 and SQL Anywhere 5.5.04
I just tried to install SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 on a Netware 5.0 server and the database server locks up when alocating the buffers (I think it was 600 buffers of 512K). The server has 128MB RAM. My question is, is 5.5.04 compatible with Netware 5.0? Thanks, Greg I have since found a message that says that build 1964 is compatible with Netware 5.0, how do I get build 1964? Is that the build number for SQL Anywhere 5.5.05? Greg Greg Heiner wrote: > I just tried to install SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 on a Netware 5.0 server and > the database server locks up when alocating t...

Virus Detection S/W (Netware 4.11) Compatible w/SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3 & 5.5.0.4
<HTML> Does anyone have any recommendations as to a virus detection software for Netware (4.11) that is compatible with SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3 or 5.5.0.4?&nbsp; Our customer was using Cheyenne's Innoculan which shut the database/service down and they are looking for a proven alternative. <BR>Thanks, <BR>Stacy Zacher <BR>M&amp;I Data Services, Inc.</HTML> Stacy Zacher wrote: > > Does anyone have any recommendations as to a virus detection software > for Netware (4.11) that is compatible with SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3 or > 5.5.0.4? ...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and Novell 5.0 #2
Hello. When a NetWare 5.0 server attempts to load SQL Anywhere 5.5.04, the server goes down. I understand from an on-line Sybase solved case that SQL Anywhere did not support NetWare 5.0 until build #1928. Since I have build #1867, the older build is probably the problem. Can anyone tell me how to obtain SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 build #1928, hopefully free of charge? What is an alternative solution? Thank you. Ron Sochanski Please disregard. This was posted in error. Please see new posting. Thank you. Ron Sochanski ...

How to upgrade my SQL anywhere 5.0 (16 users) to 5.5 ?
I use the SQL anywhere 5.0 for 16 concurrent users, How to upgrade to the version 5.5 I have in PB 6.5 ? Which files should I copy to the old SQL directory ? Thanks for help. -- Best regards, Ridwan Goldbase Technology Visit our Homepage : http://www.geocities.com/Wallstreet/Floor/5251/index.html http://members.tripod.com/goldbase http://members.xoom.com/goldbase http://www.ibi.co.id/goldbase/ * Check out the Y2K (Year 2000 Problems - Millenium Bugs) New product : The Kuan To' Blade (on shopping site) http://www.geocities.com/WallStreet/Floor/5251/sho...

memory violation using SQL Anywhere 5.0 / 5.5
I need some advise or help in producing a correct executable under Windows NT 4.0. I'm (still) working under SQL Anywhere 5.0, 5.5 respectively. My problem is the following: The SQLPP Preprocessor replaces my Embedded SQL Statement EXEC SQL CONNECT ... by the call dbpp_connect_40( (sqlcaptr), &__SQLV_messe_1, __SQLV_messe_2, __SQLV_messe_3, SQLNULL, SQLNULL, SQLNULL ); But the execution of this function aborts with the message The instruction at <adress> referenced memory at <adress>. The memory could not be read. At ...

Web resources about - SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.5 and VMWare - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Man Blames The Apple Watch For Burns On His Wrist
The Apple Watch is designed to be worn for extended periods of time on the wrist, which is why it doesn’t come as a surprise that in the past, ...

Stephen Colbert Gives Thanks For Donald Trump
I'd be laughing a little harder if all this fascist was doing was giving comedians like Stephen Colbert some food for fodder. That said I am ...

Jessa Duggar Seewald’s Siblings Star In ‘Ad’ For Fake Money As Critics Boycott ‘Jill & Jessa: Counting ...
Jessa Duggar Seewald’s husband recently enlisted his sisters-in-law to help him film a video that looks an awful lot like an ad for a company ...

Russia warns of 'serious consequences' after Turkey downs warplane
CNN Russia warns of 'serious consequences' after Turkey downs warplane CNN Istanbul (CNN) The conflict in Syria, a years-long maelstrom of ...

Get ready for Li-Fi, a technology 100 times faster than Wi-Fi
The world might eventually have to shift its reliance on Wi-Fi to Li-Fi, an alternative technology that scientists say can reach speeds of 1 ...

Jeff Bezos is proud of his rocket, Elon Musk not impressed
Amazon Founder and CEO Jeff Bezos saw his private spaceflight company, Blue Origin, hit a major milestone today by launching and landing its ...

Cheap Gas Fueling Expanded Thanksgiving Travel Day
Thanksgiving travel begins with gas prices low, terrorism fears high

Amazon May Not Have Requested That NYC Yank Nazi-Themed Ads
Did Amazon Studios really request that its controversial New York City subway ads for the ambitious drama “The Man In The High Castle” be removed? ...

Yet Another Dell Root Certificate Found Out
It looks like things are not all that rosy over at Dell, as yet another Dell root certificate has been discovered, which is in addition to what ...

Security tight after Tunisia bomb blast kills at least 13
At least 13 people were killed in Tuesday's apparent suicide bombing of a Tunisian presidential guard bus in central Tunis, prompting the government ...