Speed of 5.5.04

I am re-posting the question below.  I asked it previously but did not
get an answer.  I hope I have been succinct and clear.  It is
important to myself and the client that I get an answer.  Will somone
address this please?

I had an interesting experience this past week.  I had not yet
received my 16 pack of SQLAW but did have SQLAW installed locally but
pointing to a database on a network drive.  The client is using
Netware 3.12.  I am using PowerBuilder as the front end.

I ran a report in PowerBuilder that is normally very taxing on the
network.  Still, I got an answer back in about a minute and 15
seconds.  This is a time I was quite pleased with.  Again, this
involved a query on a database that resides in a directory on the
network file server.

A day later I got the 16 pack and installed it.  After installing it
and running the same query it took about twice as long to run.  I can
not figure out why.  I am hoping it's a configuration issue and not
that the multiuser edition, by design,  just runs slower.

I am using SQLAW 5.5.04 Build # 1867. When I expand the SQLAW icon it
reads, "ipx link started successfully....  Started with 200 buffers of
size 512 bytes.  Found Server WTS on ipx link.

When I start SQLAW stand alone (not the 16 pack version) I see no
reference to the number of buffers or size of the bytes.  Instead it
says something like 2048 of memory used for caching, but not reference
to ipx link or buffers.  I truely hope by making some adjustments in
either Novel or SQLAW I can get the speed back.  The server is a
Pentium 200 with lots of ram.

I understand I can increase the size of the cache, which I tried doing
at the server level.  That is, from the server I typed something like
Load dbsrv50 -x -ipx -n WTS sys:\name of dir\name of db -c3072.  I did
this thinking it would increase the cache size to 3072, which I
believe it did, but this did not affect the speed of the report

Can someone tell me what, if anything, I can do to get the speed  with
multiuser SQLAW, that I know is possible on this network?

Thank You
Woody Splawn
Woody Splawn
0
splawnw

Woody,

I'll hazard a guess here, maybe someone else will help out if I'm not
quite correct :)

As I understand your post, in the 'stand alone' case you were running
dbeng50.exe on the local machine, pointing at files on the network server.
The reason it doesn't specify an ipx link is because that refers to the
communication between the SQLA client software and the server, not between
the server and the database file. Since you are running locally, there is
no network protocol involved in talking to the server. When you run the db
server (dbsrv50.exe) on the network file server, all your calls to the
database must first travel to the db server across the lan, using ipx.
The source of your performance drop may be the overhead imposed by having
to pass requests for data across the lan. In addition your network server
is probably acting as a file server as well as a database server,
obviously there is going to be contention for  processor time.
Your best bet would be to try a dedicated database server, (money
permitting) and leave the file server to serve files. As you mentioned
your server has lots of ram, you could try a cache of say 16M or more.
Several of our users have currently got cache size set larger than their
actual database :)
You can significantly speed up performance by moving your database
connectivity to stored procedures in PowerBuilder. This is especially
useful if you want to operate at all over a WAN.
If you're talking about 'static/end of day' type reports, you might
consider replicating your database to a local machine and running reports
from that copy of the database. I've not tried this so I'm not sure how
involved it would be.

HTH, David.

Woody Splawn wrote:

> I am re-posting the question below.  I asked it previously but did not
> get an answer.  I hope I have been succinct and clear.  It is
> important to myself and the client that I get an answer.  Will somone
> address this please?
>
> I had an interesting experience this past week.  I had not yet
> received my 16 pack of SQLAW but did have SQLAW installed locally but
> pointing to a database on a network drive.  The client is using
> Netware 3.12.  I am using PowerBuilder as the front end.
>
> I ran a report in PowerBuilder that is normally very taxing on the
> network.  Still, I got an answer back in about a minute and 15
> seconds.  This is a time I was quite pleased with.  Again, this
> involved a query on a database that resides in a directory on the
> network file server.
>
> A day later I got the 16 pack and installed it.  After installing it
> and running the same query it took about twice as long to run.  I can
> not figure out why.  I am hoping it's a configuration issue and not
> that the multiuser edition, by design,  just runs slower.
>
> I am using SQLAW 5.5.04 Build # 1867. When I expand the SQLAW icon it
> reads, "ipx link started successfully....  Started with 200 buffers of
> size 512 bytes.  Found Server WTS on ipx link.
>
> When I start SQLAW stand alone (not the 16 pack version) I see no
> reference to the number of buffers or size of the bytes.  Instead it
> says something like 2048 of memory used for caching, but not reference
> to ipx link or buffers.  I truely hope by making some adjustments in
> either Novel or SQLAW I can get the speed back.  The server is a
> Pentium 200 with lots of ram.
>
> I understand I can increase the size of the cache, which I tried doing
> at the server level.  That is, from the server I typed something like
> Load dbsrv50 -x -ipx -n WTS sys:\name of dir\name of db -c3072.  I did
> this thinking it would increase the cache size to 3072, which I
> believe it did, but this did not affect the speed of the report
>
> Can someone tell me what, if anything, I can do to get the speed  with
> multiuser SQLAW, that I know is possible on this network?
>
> Thank You
> Woody Splawn
> Woody Splawn

0
David
3/25/1998 5:54:21 AM
On Wed, 25 Mar 1998 15:54:21 +1000, David Pattinson
<david@addease.com.au> wrote:

< Since you are running locally, there is
>no network protocol involved in talking to the server. When you run the db
>server (dbsrv50.exe) on the network file server, all your calls to the
>database must first travel to the db server across the lan, using ipx.
>The source of your performance drop may be the overhead imposed by having
>to pass requests for data across the lan. In addition your network server
>is probably acting as a file server as well as a database server,
>obviously there is going to be contention for  processor time.
>Your best bet would be to try a dedicated database server, (money
>permitting) and leave the file server to serve files. As you mentioned
>your server has lots of ram, you could try a cache of say 16M or more.
>Several of our users have currently got cache size set larger than their
>actual database :)

David,
	Thank you for responding.  Please see my response to Leo in
the thread titled "how increase speed of networked SQL AW"

	Up to this point I have not used stored proceedures.  This is
perhaps the time to change.  I am creating a complex report and it is
not clear to me initially how to get the same results with a stored
proceedure, but that is a different story and I'll skip it here.

	I understand some things, don't understand some others.  Seems
to me, either way, the data is traveling across the network.  Wish I
could get it to travels as fast when using SQLAW 16 pack as it does
when using SQLAW stand alone accessing a network database.

	Getting the client to go for a dedicated database server would
be a challange at this time.  They have good fast machines, overall,
and most of their reports are created in a reasonable amount of time,
but for this one, it's a problem.
Woody Splawn
0
splawnw

5.5.03 or 5.5.04??
I hope this has not been asked to death? But I will be upgrading our test system from 5.5.02 build 1495 to either 5.5.03 or 5.5.04. First is there anything in 03 that is not included in 04? Second, are there any known problems with 04? I'll listen to facts, rumors, opinions, etc. TIA Shannon 5.5.04 seems pretty stable. -- Terry Black HCIA, Inc. e-mail:tblac@hcia.com Shannon Griffith wrote in message ... >I hope this has not been asked to death? But I will be upgrading our test >system from 5.5.02 build 1495 to either 5.5.03 or 5.5.04. First is there >a...

5.5.03 OR 5.5.04 ?
I've just installed the 5.5.04 maint release. On opening my database (created in 5.5), its properties state that the version is 5.5.03. As many have no doubt upgraded to 5.5.04, could someone pls advise if this is 'correct' behaviour? Many thanks in advance -- MAX HUGEN Hugen Enterprises Pty Ltd Email: maxhugen@ozemail.com.au Tel: +612 9560 3061 Fax: +612 9564 5073 >I've just installed the 5.5.04 maint release. On opening my database >(created in 5.5), its properties state that the version is 5.5.03. >As many have no doubt upgraded to 5.5.04, could...

Netware 5 with SQLA 5..04 with the EBF for SQLA 5.5.04
After installing this EBF we can now start SQLA on Netware 5 but we have many troubles! (e.g. stoping the DB-engine can abend the Netware-Server, sometimes nobody can't login, ...) Is there any further resolution? Thanks! When you have troubles with an EBF you need to talk directly to Tech Support. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com Houston, TX *********************************************************** Enterprise Applications in Your Future? JumpStart...

Upgrading from 5.5.00 to 5.5.04
Greetings everyone I currently have the dubious honour of looking into upgrading our 5.5.00 database to 5.5.04 (the comments I have read in this ng regarding ASA 6 lead me to believe that a greater leap is too dangerous at this time). Our only previous experience of upgrading the database was a move from 5.0.02 to 5.5.00 which resulted in breaking our accounting module leading to numerous fixes and costly retesting. The breakages were mainly due to behavioural changes of the ODBC driver (e.g. in stored procs - not using the result clause for the column names and types for backward ...

Moving from 5.5.00 to 5.5.04
All, We are making the move from 5.5.00 to 5.5.04 build # 1888 (A little late but making it none the less). We have been running 5.5.00 from inception and have been plagued by the missing primary key row problem as well as some passthrough problems. We have made some PASSTHROUGH changes to the current publications. To be safe, I am planning on removing all pubs and subscribers at each of the consolidated sights and redoing same after upgrading to 1888. Is there anything special I should do with respect to the consolidated database (Upgrade utility, etc) to ensure I get the best possi...

upgrade 5.5.04 to 5.5.05
I have build 1982 of 5.5.04 installed and tried to install 5.5.05 over this since there were a lot of bug-fixes. After installation had finished I notised that the installation had not replaced any files. I suspect the reason is that build 1982 of 5.5.04 has newer date (sep. 7. 99) than 5.5.05 (july 22. 99). What is the best version for me to use? If 5.5.05. is the best version, how should i upgrade? Thanks in advance, Lars Yes this is true - we look at file dates Please backup your software, then install 5.5.04 off your CD, then install 5.5.05 patch Lars Inge ...

Sql Anywhere 5.5.01 to 5.5.04
Hi everyone, I want to update my SQL anywhere 5.5.01 to a 5.5.04. I went to sybase internet address but I can not found anything. Somebody knows were to found it? Thanks ----------------------------------- Frederic MARGARIDO fred@radiosoft.org Go to http://support.sybase.com/esd/sqlany.html Leo Tohill - Team Powersoft -- Please post in newsgroup, not via email < ...

5.5.03->5.5.04 upgrade
I'm running 5.5.03. Can you download the latest updates from FTP and upgrade 5.5.03 to the latest 5.5.04, or does the .03-.04 upgrade have to be purchased somewhere first? George Hale SSC Group, Inc. Kerrville, TX Overlooking the Guadalupe You can download the upgrade for free from support.sybase.com. You'll have to register yourself to get a login ID, but that's free too. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dealer Solutions, Inc. Houston, TX See you at the Powersoft User Conference in August - http://www.sybase.com/events/psuc98 George Hale <sschale@ktc.co...

dbbackup change from 5.5.04 to 5.5.05
I'm trying to figure out how to adjust my "dbbackup" command script to work with SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 changes. Under 5.5.04, the following command would run from either the NT4 server or client PCs: dbbackup.exe -c "dbn=dbname;uid=dba;pwd=dba_pw" -d -t -y archive_dir After the 5.5.05 update, I can only get dbbackup running by adding the "eng" to the connect string AND only from a client PC: dbbackup.exe -c "dbn=dbname;uid=dba;pwd=dba_pw;eng=dbserver" -d -t -y archive_dir I cannot seem to get the script running on the NT serv...

5.5.04 Creates 5.5.03 databases
Why does 5.5.04 create 5.5.03 databases? All of the files are the same date, 10/1/97, including DBINIT. I created the database using DBINIT and Sybase Central. Jack T. >Why does 5.5.04 create 5.5.03 databases? All of the files are the same >date, 10/1/97, including DBINIT. I created the database using DBINIT and >Sybase Central. I suppose you are looking at the version information from sql central. This shows the version of the db file format. The file format does not change with every release, and in fact did not change with the 5.5.04 release. Regards, ...

Patching SQLA 5.5.01 to 5.5.04
Patched all clients and remote sites to 5.5.04, and replication sometimes halts on the Netware server running 5.5.01. So I need to patch it right? Okay, How! I d/l the patches for server and Replication but am not getting anywhere with them: I can't get the setup.exe to point to the Netware system files area as it asks. No matter what I enter as the path it will insist on deleting c:\sqlany50\win32! Making no mention of a Netware area--not even in the setup file. Help. Andre. d/l: https://support.sybase.com/software/tools/sqlany/maintfls/v5504/netware/nwse5504.zip and ...

Run 5.5.00 + 5.5.04 on same server?
Is it possible to run two separate engines of different versions on the same server? I have a customer that has a third party application running 5.5.00 on Novell Netware. My application has been tested under 5.5.04. The customer would like each app to run under their recommended configurations, so he's looking at running 2 instances of the database engine NLM, one for the third party app and the second for our app. Is this possible, and if so, are there any issues with the engine being of different versions (they would be installed to a separate directory on the Novell server, ...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and 5.5.05
I have several queries, all of which involve outer joins, that produce different results when run against SQL Anywhere versions 5.5.05 Build #2787 and 5.5.04 Build #1867. I realize the outer join syntax is awkward and it does produce an error when run against version 7 of SQL Anywhere. However, I didn't expect different results within version 5 releases. I'm going to have the queries reconstructed, but I'm looking for an explanation on what happened between those two releases. I have scoured the documentation and release notes for .04, .05, and even the 7.0 documentation....

SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and jConnect 5.5
Does jConnect 5.5 work with SQL Anywhere 5.5.04? I was just wondering since the Installation Guide for jConnect 5.5 states that Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.23 is required. If the two are incompatible, then what jConnect version will work with SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and where can it be downloaded? Thank you. Do this search in Google Groups: "SQL Anywhere 5" jconnect group:*.sqlanywhere.* Looks like you need to go through OSG, which is described in the Help: SQL Anywhere User's Guide PART 4. Transact-SQL Compatibility CHAPTER 32. Using the Open Server Gateway ...

Web resources about - Speed of 5.5.04 - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Watch the long pause and the repeated, slow head shaking from Hillary Clinton when she's asked if the ...
The pause after the question is so long and the head shaking is so extensive — continuing even as Tapper moves on to thanking her for doing the ...

American home after 40-day Iran prison ordeal: report
An American student released by Iran after 40 days in prison has returned home to Massachusetts for an emotional reunion with his family, The ...

‘Mad Max: Fury Road’ Dominates the Critics’ Choice Awards, but ‘Spotlight’ Is Truly Shiny and Chrome
The Critics’ Choice Awards don’t always reflect what eventually goes down at the Academy Awards , but they reflect it just often enough to go ...

Steven Avery hasn't been allowed to watch 'Making a Murderer' in prison
Although "Making a Murderer" has created a national debate over his guilt or innocence, Steven Avery hasn't even watched the Netflix series. ...

Match-Fixing Scandal Rocks Tennis World With Australian Open Underway
Match-fixing has been prevalent in soccer for a long time, invoking a black eye on the world’s most popular sport. But now, it’s cast a large ...

London street artist creates beautiful homage to David Bowie
LONDON — A British street artist has paid tribute to Bowie with a painting of the legendary singer in one of his most famous outfits. See also: ...

The Latest: King Rally out of Confederate Flag's Shadow
About 1,000 people have gathered under chilly and sunny skies at South Carolina's Statehouse to remember slain civil rights leader the Rev.

The CEO of WhatsApp explained why it killed its subscription fee
WhatsApp CEO Jan Koum has explained in an interview with Wired why the company killed its $0.99-a-year subscription option. "We've done really ...

The Final Nail in El Chapo's Coffin Was a "Big Order of Tacos"
Mexican authorities were already closing in on Joaquín “El Chapo” Guzmán when a “big order of tacos” confirmed they were looking in the right ...

Why the Carolina Panthers can beat the Arizona Cardinals in NFC title game
Three reasons why the Carolina Panthers can beat the Arizona Cardinals in next Sunday's NFC Championship Game.