Services don't start automatically ("Database cannot be started -- I/O error" or "Database cannot be started -- No such file or directory")

My situation is:
..server: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2
..database server : Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0.2.4372.

Windows starts automatically 32 services ASA, one database in each service

If I start each service in manual everything is ok.
When I restart the server, four service (always four!!!) don't start
correctly with two kind of error:

"Database cannot be started -- I/O error"
"Database cannot be started -- No such file or directory"

The services that don't start are not the same.
I tried many times and everytime the problem is on a different group of
services.
Everytime, after the server restart, the services with problem start
manually with no problem.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Alessandro

0
Alessandro

If this is something that has just started to occur it
may be important to note what has changed.

    If new development do not that versions
    8.0.x and 9.0.x are both end of life.
      http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1049854

    If not a new development then know when this
    has started to occur and what changed will be
    important.

It is possible this could be related to a bug fixed
in Version 9.0.2 EBFs that are higher than build
3731 but that fix was only released after the 8.0.3
went past the end of it's support. So you would
have to upgrade to 9.0.2 or a 10.0.1 or 11.0.x
ebf level to fix that problem.

One possible work around is to organize you services
to launch in a predefined order. It would probably be
gets to set up groups of servers and have members of
one group depend upon an earlier group; ie. have 8 start
automatically, 8 more start with a depends upon of the first
group, another 8 start with dependenies on the second group.

This workaround should lessen the frequency of reoccurrances.
Another option is configure the windows services to automatically
retry after the first occurrance; see the properties of each service.

HTH

- - - - - - - - - -

bug fix# 544187 --
Customer Description: A server could have failed to start if another server
was starting simultaneously

    A server could have failed to start if another server was starting at
the
    same time. The server that failed to start would display the error
      "Database cannot be started -- No such file or directory".
    The error message was also misleading since the database file did exist;
    the server actually had a problem opening the database temp file.

"Alessandro Agrifoglio" <alessandro.agrifoglio@cecsistemi.it> wrote in
message news:4c6e519a@forums-1-dub...
> My situation is:
> .server: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition SP2
> .database server : Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0.2.4372.
>
> Windows starts automatically 32 services ASA, one database in each service
>
> If I start each service in manual everything is ok.
> When I restart the server, four service (always four!!!) don't start
> correctly with two kind of error:
>
> "Database cannot be started -- I/O error"
> "Database cannot be started -- No such file or directory"
>
> The services that don't start are not the same.
> I tried many times and everytime the problem is on a different group of
> services.
> Everytime, after the server restart, the services with problem start
> manually with no problem.
>
> Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks,
> Alessandro

0
Nick
8/23/2010 4:39:25 PM
I tried to configure the windows service to automatically retry after the
first occurrence and it works ok.

Thanks,

Alessandro.

"Nick Elson [Sybase An SAP Company]" <@nick@dot@elson@at@sybase@dot@com@> ha