SELECT from SELECT

Hi!

I remember seeing an example where you can do a select from a nested
select, but I cannot seem to make it work.

So it would be something like this:

	select	max( name )
	from	(
		select name from customer
		union
		select name from vendor
		)

Was I dreaming I saw that?

Thanks!

Daniel

In article <4500243f@forums-2-dub>,
daniel_AT_infrontsoftware_DOT_com@N0SPAM.com says...
> Hi!
>
> I remember seeing an example where you can do a select from a nested
> select, but I cannot seem to make it work.

No, you weren't.  Try (UNTESTED!) adding an alias name to the inner
select:

> So it would be something like this:
>
> 	select	max( name )
> 	from	(
> 		select name from customer
> 		union
> 		select name from vendor
> 		)

as subsel

newsgroups if possible).
0
David
9/7/2006 2:18:07 PM
In article <4500243f@forums-2-dub>, daniel_AT_infrontsoftware_DOT_com@N0SPAM.com says...
> Hi!
>
> I remember seeing an example where you can do a select from a nested
> select, but I cannot seem to make it work.
>
> So it would be something like this:
>
> 	select	max( name )
> 	from	(
> 		select name from customer
> 		union
> 		select name from vendor
> 		)
>

> Was I dreaming I saw that?

No, but you need the appropriate version of ASA ... AFAIK, this feature (derived table) was added to 9.x.x. Earlier versions did not have it.

Martin
0
Martin
9/7/2006 2:34:14 PM
great!  thanks!

David Kerber wrote:
> In article <4500243f@forums-2-dub>,
> daniel_AT_infrontsoftware_DOT_com@N0SPAM.com says...
>> Hi!
>>
>> I remember seeing an example where you can do a select from a nested
>> select, but I cannot seem to make it work.
>
> No, you weren't.  Try (UNTESTED!) adding an alias name to the inner
> select:
>

>> So it would be something like this:
>>
>> 	select	max( name )
>> 	from	(
>> 		select name from customer
>> 		union
>> 		select name from vendor
>> 		)
>
> as subsel

Daniel
9/7/2006 2:51:52 PM
"Martin Baur" <tinu@mindpower.com> wrote:

> No, but you need the appropriate version of ASA ... AFAIK, this feature
> (derived table) was added to 9.x.x. Earlier versions did not have it.

IIRC  select ... from (select ... from ...) as "t" worked in ASA6. At least,
I've used this syntax well before ASA9 came into existence :).

Dmitri.

0
Dmitri

Why is the select saying selected after an item is selected?
This was a whitelisting issue due to a software upgrade at hostgator..  Nothing wrong with my code..Scot King SEO Software Tool | Search Engine Optimization"Get your page rank high"  huh? It is smart to put your question in the body and not just in the title. Have no idea what your question is or if it even a question.Eric Pascarello.com | Twitter epascarello | LinkedIn use thisddl.options[ddl.selectedIndex].selected = false; //Clear the selection ddl.options[1].selected = trueMAKMark as Answer if this reply helps youMVP ASP/ASP.NetASP.Net Hosting : Host DepotMy Sit...

insert select and select into
Hello, I am using temp tables to generate a report. I created most of the temp tables and then use insert select. I found for one, when I use insert select, I get a different query plan than if I use select into. The select into get a much better performance. The problem is I get dead locks on the statement. Is there anything I can do to change this behavior? Thanks, Josh Manfred ...

Bug in SELECT from SELECT ?
I have a table intwb_items CREATE TABLE intwb_items ( wb_id integer not null, prod_id integer not null, qty numeric(12,5) not null, primary key(wb_id, prod_id) ) How can I obtain sum of 10 greatest "qty"? I tried to execute query: SELECT sum(qty) FROM ( SELECT top 10 qty FROM intwb_items ORDER BY qty DESC )as tmp But it raise error: "Syntax error or access violation: near 'ORDER' in ... FROM intwb_items [ORDER]" The same query but without "ORDER BY" works perfectly, but "TOP N" without "ORDE...

Select in the select clause
How to use another select clause within a select clause itself. Like; select col1,col2,(select colx from table b) from table a . The above statement is throwing syntax error Thanks, Anandkumar B CGVAK Software & Exports Ltd. ( 0422 2434491/92 http://www.cgvakindia.com "anand_group" <anand@cgvakindia.com> wrote: > How to use another select clause within a select clause itself. > Like; > select col1,col2,(select colx from table b) from table a . > The above statement is throwing syntax error Ensure that subquery returns only one row. And...

SELECT . FROM ( SELECT .. FROM )
Hi, In application we generate very effective SQL statements that are understandable by MS SQL Server and Oracle but give syntax errors on Sybase. I am talking about SELECT . FROM ( SELECT .. FROM a_table). For example: select 1 from (select abc_id from abc) or select 1 from (select abc_id from abc union all select abc_id from bcd) Is there any way to overcome this limitation? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Leonid Borisov Tefensoft On Wed, 15 May 2002 02:09:52 -0700, Leonid Borisov wrote: > Hi, > > > >...

select in the select statement
Hi, I am trying to add another select statement in my original/outer/overall select statement. Something like: Select 1, 2, 3 = (Select # from Table1 Where....) From Table 2 Where.... Does anyone know the standard way to write this or is there any other alternative that can perform the same behavior. Much thanks!! Kenny That's database dependent. In oracle you would use: select A.* from ( select * from mytable) A -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase "Kenny Tran" <...

Select option selection
I'm created a gridview of websites, in one column, and use the gridview's 'selection' featue in the next column. When I click the 'selection' link I tried to get the website by using: Dim key As String = grvPrivacy.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(1).Text but it said it was not part of the webcontrol for selection. How do I get cell so that I can read it? thanks   Looks like your grabbing the select option and not the first cell  try  Dim key As String = grvPrivacy.Rows(e.RowIndex).Cells(0).TextwerD, MCSD VB.Net Hi, gmcghee: There are several ways...

Second SELECT-box doesn't show the selected value as SELECTED
Hi! I usually find what I look for in the other threads, but now I've spent two weeks searching and I still can't work this out, even though I'm sure the solution is easy:( Why doesn't my second dropdown-list show the selected value Arb (which shows in the url-window as for example myPage.asp?Ar=1976&Arb=1987) as selected? It manages to use the Ar-variable for the first SELECT-box, but the second box always has the first querystring-value selected, as if Arb="". I've also tried using a second sql-query, doing exactly as with the first SELECT-box, without success. Is ...

dynamically populating a select box depending upon selections in another select box
Dear sir, I am trying to populate a select box depending on multiple selections in another select box. I find the dependent select box does not populate at all. while it does populate if the parent select box is a single election box and not multiple. i want to use javascript so that for population i do not have to go to the server. I am using onchange event to execute the function.  Some one please help. pcg Could you post your code?jameswrightwww.jwright.info"Never be so busy making a living that you forget to make a life." Relevent code is given below please. Pa...

DROPDOWNLIST DOES NOT SELECT THE SELECTED VALUE
Hi all, i am using C# , asp.net vs2005. ajax 1.0 i am populating data programitically . when i select first value, dropdown control select the same. when i select second value ,dropdownlist select second value too But i does not continue  from third value onward . when i select third value, dropdownlist control select second value then after behavior reman the same no matter what i select dropdownlist control select second value ONLY.<asp:DropDownList id="Ddlzse" runat="server" Width="165px" Font-Bold="False" Fo...

Accessing the selected value from a Select
Need to access the selected value from a Select in client script.  I can get the selectedIndex but where do I find the selected value? Will this give it to me? form1.Select1.Options(form1.Select1.SelectedIndex)   form1.Select1.options[form1.Select1.selectedIndex] Try form1.Select1.options[form1.Select1.selectedIndex].value> penny for a thought...

Select into vs. insert ... select ...
Hello, I am using temp tables to generate a report. I created most of the temp tables and then use insert select. I found for one that when I use insert select I get a different query plan that if I use select into. The select into get a much better performance. The problem is I get dead lock on the statement. Is there anything I can do to change this behavior? Thanks, Josh Manfred SELECT INTO #temp is a non-logged operation. This can provide a performance increase. However, one downside is that you may end up with a lot of contention on system tables. (I didn...

SELECT * vs. SELECT 1
I have always understood that when using the WHERE EXISTS clause, one codes it as WHERE EXISTS (SELECT * FROM .....). Lately, I've been told that performance is better if the it's coded as ...(SELECT 1 FROM ...) (or SELECT '' .. - that is, to select some literal). Everything I've read says that SELECT * is used with EXISTS because there's no result set returned - it only evaluates into true or false. I'm now curious - is there an advantage to writing SELECT 1 instead of SELECT * with EXISTS? If so, how much of an advantage, & why do all of the SQL b...

Multi-select ListBox and Select All
Hi,I'm having an issue with some JS code for IE6 (no need for x-browser) and multi-select listbox.I'm trying to implement a Select All button.Current code is : function SelectAll(obj){ for (var i = 0; i < obj.options.length; i++) { obj.options[i].selected = true; } } which logically seems to work.  The problem I have is that this does not seem to work until I click the multi-select again.  It seems that although the options are marked as selected, the screen does not update to reflect this until something triggers it (in this case trying to click in ...

Web resources about - SELECT from SELECT - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Scottish Affairs Select Committee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Scottish Affairs Select Committee is a select committee of the House of Commons in the Parliament of the United Kingdom . The remit of the ...

kotaku selects
Kotaku Selects

Facebook Testing Featured Videos in Videos Sections of Select Pages
Facebook confirmed to TechCrunch that it is testing a new design for the videos section of select pages – including ABC News and The New York ...

Hyundai set to bring CarPlay to select cars early next year after delay
... update to be released during the first quarter of 2016 that will enable the CarPlay feature on supported models with a connected iPhone. Select ...

How to Select Sharable Curated Content
Creating and delivering fresh content on a frequent and consistent basis can be a challenge in today’s demanding digital world. Curated content ...

Google Play offering select buy one, gift one movies for the holidays
... a few days ago, Google is giving you the chance to purchase a movie and gift that same movie to a friend for no extra charge. The selection ...

Dezeen selects 10 of David Bowie's most iconic moments
David Bowie was one of the most influential fashion and design icons of the last 40 years. Dezeen picks his best looks, costumes and album covers ...

DEAL: Buy Select Google Play Movies, Gift One to Someone for Free
We’re getting closer and closer to the holidays and gift-giving fever is just around the corner. In the spirit of the season, Google’s latest ...

EA’s Origin Access offers PC gamers unlimited access to select games
For $5 per month you get early access to EA titles on Origin, plus a selection of older games from The Vault at no additional cost.

In Louisiana, High School Football 'Select'-Public Split Gets Put Back Together Again
... school sports teams, traditionally done by size of school, has been for state associations to try to figure out ways to split private or select ...