SA 5.5, Delphi, Titan, Report Builder Combo Problems

Hi,
I'm seeking the help/experience from someone using the above combination.
Report Builder allows you to save report structures to a DB. The table
"Reports" has 3 fields Rid is an Autoinc, ReportName is a Varchar, and
ReportTemplate is a Text field.

RB report component gets wired up to this table.

When I use this method I get the following error:

"column ReportName in table Reports cannot be null SQL anywhere error -195"

I do not believe that I am the cause of this error. If I break some rules
and allow nulls in all the fields, the first record inserts fine, but any
following will not.

I have used this method of saving report structures successfully with other
db's like Paradox and DBISAM. But Titan and SQLA with RB are struggling to
get along.

Any experiences appreciated,

Ivan

0
Ivan

  Change to NativeDB.  Titan appears unsupportable.

Ivan Sine wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm seeking the help/experience from someone using the above combination.
> Report Builder allows you to save report structures to a DB. The table
> "Reports" has 3 fields Rid is an Autoinc, ReportName is a Varchar, and
> ReportTemplate is a Text field.
>
> RB report component gets wired up to this table.
>
> When I use this method I get the following error:
>
> "column ReportName in table Reports cannot be null SQL anywhere error -195"
>
> I do not believe that I am the cause of this error. If I break some rules
> and allow nulls in all the fields, the first record inserts fine, but any
> following will not.
>
> I have used this method of saving report structures successfully with other
> db's like Paradox and DBISAM. But Titan and SQLA with RB are struggling to
> get along.
>
> Any experiences appreciated,
>
> Ivan
0
Al
7/26/2000 2:09:25 PM
Overall, I'm very happy with Titan, and believe it is a good product, that
requires very little support. But, there are those times, such as this one
when prompt support is required, but simply not available. I'm not ready to
give up on it yet.

Ivan

> Hi,
>   Change to NativeDB.  Titan appears unsupportable.

0
Ivan
7/26/2000 7:03:20 PM
Ivan,

>> I do not believe that I am the cause of this error.
This you may want to reconsider...

>> 3 fields Rid is an Autoinc, ReportName is a Varchar, and ReportTemplate is a
Text field.
case 1 >> "column ReportName in table Reports cannot be null SQL anywhere error
-195"
case 2 >>  If I break some rules and allow nulls in all the fields, the first
record inserts fine, but any following will not.

Here's my analysis of your problem(s):

1. In the first case, in some of the rows you are trying to save, you are not
supplying a value for ReportName.
    That is easily correctable, all you have to do is supply a valid name in
each field.
2. In the second case, it appears that ReportName is part of some index or maybe
even the Primary Key.
    This constraint is not allowing duplicate rows to be saved, and apparently
your second null ReportName column is a duplicate of a prior row.

This is how I see this problem. I don't believe that RB, Titan, or SQLA is the
cause at all. I believe the cause of the problem is between your keyboard and
your chair, and as such, is easily solveable.

Hope this helps.

Mike

0
Mike
7/26/2000 8:10:00 PM
I agree

Heinz-Josef
dahlmanns@b-s-t.de

"Al Kirk" <akirk@pacific.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>   Change to NativeDB.  Titan appears unsupportable.
>

> Ivan Sine wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > I'm seeking the help/experience from someone using the above
combination.
> > Report Builder allows you to save report structures to a DB. The table
> > "Reports" has 3 fields Rid is an Autoinc, ReportName is a Varchar, and
> > ReportTemplate is a Text field.
> >
> > RB report component gets wired up to this table.
> >
> > When I use this method I get the following error:
> >
> > "column ReportName in table Reports cannot be null SQL anywhere
error -195"

> > I do not believe that I am the cause of this error. If I break some
rules
> > and allow nulls in all the fields, the first record inserts fine, but
any
> > following will not.
> >
> > I have used this method of saving report structures successfully with
other
> > db's like Paradox and DBISAM. But Titan and SQLA with RB are struggling
> > get along.
> >
> > Any experiences appreciated,
> >
> > Ivan

0
Heinz
7/27/2000 5:36:20 AM
Sorry , message was posted on the wrong place,

I agree with Al, you should change to NativeDB

"Heinz-Josef Dahlmanns[ISQL+]" <dahlmanns@b-s-t.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I agree
>
> Heinz-Josef
> dahlmanns@b-s-t.de
>

> "Al Kirk" <akirk@pacific.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi,
> >   Change to NativeDB.  Titan appears unsupportable.
> >

> > Ivan Sine wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm seeking the help/experience from someone using the above
> combination.
> > > Report Builder allows you to save report structures to a DB. The table
> > > "Reports" has 3 fields Rid is an Autoinc, ReportName is a Varchar, and
> > > ReportTemplate is a Text field.
> > >
> > > RB report component gets wired up to this table.
> > >
> > > When I use this method I get the following error:
> > >
> > > "column ReportName in table Reports cannot be null SQL anywhere
> error -195"
> > >
> > > I do not believe that I am the cause of this error. If I break some
> rules
> > > and allow nulls in all the fields, the first record inserts fine, but
> any
> > > following will not.
> > >
> > > I have used this method of saving report structures successfully with
> other
> > > db's like Paradox and DBISAM. But Titan and SQLA with RB are
struggling
> > > get along.
> > >
> > > Any experiences appreciated,
> > >
> > > Ivan

0
Heinz
7/27/2000 7:47:51 AM
Thanks for the reply Mike (and others), but, I'm actually looking for
someone using the same combination of tools, that may be experiencing the
same problem. It seems clear cut as your response would indicate, but,
Report Builder has a simple Save/Saveas builtin interface that requires no
extra coding from between the "keyboard and chair". This works well with
other DB/bde/nonbde methods, but, not with SA/Titan. Yes there are work
arounds(that may or may not include NativeDB), but I would like to find a
solution using my current tools.

Thanks anyways,
Ivan

0
Ivan
7/27/2000 4:15:20 PM
Ivan,

Have you checked with the RB newsgroup? Seems like the problem could be there.

0
Mike
7/27/2000 7:02:58 PM
Ivan,

Here's what I would do: break the problem down to try and isolate the cause.
First, try Saving again with a query that has no rows in the result set. That
will isolate whether the problem lies in the format or the data. Then try a
result set with one row with all fields filled in. Then try result set with each
field in turn as null. This should give you a good idea of where the error is
being generated. Good luck.

Mike

0
Mike
7/27/2000 7:06:49 PM
Thanks Mike. No one seems to be using that combo over in the RB newsgroups.
I'll try your methods, but for now, I'm just storing the report structure
within the exe and getting by.

Thanks,
Ivan

"Mike Packard" <mpackard@mail.sandi.net> wrote in message
> Ivan,
>
> Here's what I would do: break the problem down to try and isolate the
cause.
> First, try Saving again with a query that has no rows in the result set.
That
> will isolate whether the problem lies in the format or the data. Then try
> result set with one row with all fields filled in. Then try result set
with each
> field in turn as null. This should give you a good idea of where the error
is
> being generated. Good luck.
>
> Mike

0