Running SQLAnywhere *from* a System Service

I am trying to open an ODBC Data Source from within a System Service
(using SQLAnywhere). I created a System Data Source and it
works fine when opening it from a normal application. But when my System
Service tries to open the database, I get "Driver's SQLAllocEnv
failed". I get the same problem when I run SQLAnywhere as a System
Service. What exactly is SQLAnywhere trying to do that the System
Service doesn't like? What is the best solution?

thanks for any pointers!
  yuvi
0
Yuval

Need to add sqlany50\win32 to your system path.

Yuval Zalkow <groove@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<342B27DD.71E8AD51@ix.netcom.com>...
> I am trying to open an ODBC Data Source from within a System Service
> (using SQLAnywhere). I created a System Data Source and it
> works fine when opening it from a normal application. But when my System
> Service tries to open the database, I get "Driver's SQLAllocEnv
> failed". I get the same problem when I run SQLAnywhere as a System
> Service. What exactly is SQLAnywhere trying to do that the System
> Service doesn't like? What is the best solution?
>

> thanks for any pointers!
>   yuvi

0
Scot

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

Application as Service is an advanced system utility which lets you run any application as Windows 2000/XP/2003 Service at system boot. Specify application priority, run your program without the need
Application as Service is an advanced system utility which lets you run any application as Windows 2000/XP/2003 Service. You can easily configure Application as Service using its intuitive GUI interface or command line configurator directly from your software. Application as Service features very low CPU usage, custom environment variables, monitoring and detailed logging as well as many other features. You can use Application as Service software to: Launch any application as Windows 2000/XP/2003 service at system boot, before user logon; Automatically start applications before and after ser...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

Starting SQLAnywhere as a service
I can't seem to start SQLA.. as a service. If I fire it up by hand everything is fine, when I try to start it as a service, it does not start, and if I try to start it from the services utility of NT, I get a error 1058 and a message that says that it has been disabled, but of course it is marked as auto. Any ideas? Mick ...

Starting SQLAnywhere as a service
I can start the engine, server, and client as services and they run fine. But if I add DBREMOTE to the mix I invariably get an error because NT tries to run DBREMOTE before the engine. Sybase Central allows me to indicate that the DBENG50 should be run before DBREMOTE to get around this. My problem is that I don't want to ship Sybase Central with the product. I would rather just have the installation program make the appropriate registry entries itself. Does anybody know what registry entries need to be made? Thanks Richard Speiss In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTE...

running sqlanywhere in batch
This should be simple but I can't find anything in the manuals about running SQL Anywhere with SQL scripts. I want to string together some SQL and run it from a batch process. I also need to be able to interrogate the database and select some information out of the catalogue. Any tips? -- --------------------------------------------------------------- Alan Mechler Great-West Life Assurance Co. 60 Osborne St. North, Winnipeg, MB, R3C 3A5 Email: arme@gwl.ca Phone: (204) 946-4525 Fax: (204) 946-4567 --------------------------------------------------------------- This is a m...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

How to run sqlanywhere as server?
Can sqlanywhere (5.5.04) run as a server? how to? You must purchase the server version. It is licensed separately from the standalone product. On NT it will run as a Service. There are SQL Anywhere server versions available for OS/2, NT, Win95, Win 3.11, DOS, Netware and QNX. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dynamic Data Solutions http://www.dyn-data.com Houston, TX wxs wrote in message ... >Can sqlanywhere (5.5.04) run as a server? how to? > > ...

SQLAnywhere fails from service
I have an NT service that tries to connect to a SQLAnywhere v5.0.2 database that is local. It fails with a "[Sybase][ODBC Driver]: db_init() failed" -- anybody know why this is? The service is logging in as a user with Administrative rights and the ODBC data source is a System DSN. Thanks, John Hmmm, I assume that the database is already created and it is also started as an NT service. Besides checking the command line parameters you might look at the dependencies for the service that is failing. It should be dependent on the database engine and start after ...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

getting error after upgrading from sqlanywhere 7 to sqlanywhere 9
i'm using sybase sql server any where 7 and by using dbsrv7.exe i'm able to create db. it's working fine. no issues. now i'm upgrading to sybase sql server any where 9 and by using dbsrv9.exe i created db. this time when i'm using sysindexes table of sybase i'm getting error as Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous exception com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException because ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous at com.sybase.jdbc2...

Running SQLAnywhere at ISP account
Hello, I'm looking for an ISP, based in the US, that meets the requirements to run SQL Anywhere on their server. Do you have any suggestions ? Thanks, Luc. linuxisp<at>isug.com In article <403daa39@forums-1-dub>, lucv@nospam.be says... > Hello, > > I'm looking for an ISP, based in the US, that meets > the requirements to run SQL Anywhere on their server. > Probably you are looking for a hosting provider and not a ISP. > Do you have any suggestions ? > In europe I would suggest a root server at www.hetzner.de ...

Update Fails to SQLAnywhere, but PB/ODBC/SQLAnywhere returns Success...
I recently dropped a reply in the SQLAnywhere Newsgroup regarding the question of "Death by Curly Brackets" and am not even sure the problem we're experiencing is related, BUT basically, if we have a variable in an SQLA table of type "char" and then declare an internal host variable in Powerbuilder 6.0, and execute an Insert or an Update against the table, PB and/or SQLA both return success, but the table DOES NOT get updated... here's futher details... Check out the ODBC dump below, is this a bug in PB, ODBC, SQLAnywhere or ALL of the above ANY HELP IS ...

Web resources about - Running SQLAnywhere *from* a System Service - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere