Problem using ASA 7.0 to connect to ASE 11.9.2 via ASA ODBC DSN

Hi:

I downloaded ASA 7.0.2 to evaluate it as a Client to connect to a databse
which is installed on an ASE 11.9.2. system (first of all, can this be
done?). I am running Win 2K Professional. I have already set up an ODBC DSN
which I have used successfully for creating a linked server to the ASE
database in MS SQL Server 2000. I also have used this DSN to create a
successful ODBC link to MS Access 2000

In this case I created an ASA 7.0 DSN using the same configuration
parameters that I used for the the above DSN, but when I test the connection
in Sybase Central 4.0 (or in the ODBC control panel ) I get the following
error -

"[Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to
database server: Database server not running".

But when I open my ODBC connection in MS Access, I can query the
database????

Can anyone help me with this. I am very new to SYbase so I may be doing
something wrong which may be very basic.

Thanks for your help...

Raj

0
Raj

Raj Parulekar wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I downloaded ASA 7.0.2 to evaluate it as a Client to connect to a databse
> which is installed on an ASE 11.9.2. system (first of all, can this be
> done?).

The short answer is "No". The long answer is: You could set up and log
into an ASA database, and then create proxies to the ASE database's
tables. Through the proxies you can access and (I think) update the ASE
data.

> But when I open my ODBC connection in MS Access, I can query the
> database????

You're using the Access "Get External Data" feature, yes? Then you're
using Access's "proxy" capability to interact through ODBC.

Kathleen
0
Kathleen