Primary Key/Foreign Key

Can I use SQL Commands to add Primary key or reference keys to existed
tables? (Not a new table, that's why I can't use CREATE TABLE command.)

If does, could someone give me some sample codes? Thanks.
0
John

Hi John,

What you need is the ALTER TABLE statement. Look for it in SQLA help for the
syntax.

Regards,

Nat.

John Chyan wrote in message <35A4FF5D.5F192806@dissol.com>...
>Can I use SQL Commands to add Primary key or reference keys to existed
>tables? (Not a new table, that's why I can't use CREATE TABLE command.)
>
>If does, could someone give me some sample codes? Thanks.

0
Nat
7/9/1998 7:06:59 PM
ALTER TABLE <tablename> ADD PRIMARY KEY <column list>

Dave Wolf
Jaguar Product Team

Nat Vinod wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> What you need is the ALTER TABLE statement. Look for it in SQLA help for the
> syntax.
>
> Regards,
>
> Nat.
>
> John Chyan wrote in message <35A4FF5D.5F192806@dissol.com>...
> >Can I use SQL Commands to add Primary key or reference keys to existed
> >tables? (Not a new table, that's why I can't use CREATE TABLE command.)
> >
> >If does, could someone give me some sample codes? Thanks.

0
David

integer primary/foreign key vs. varchar(255) primary/foreign key
Hello. Is there any principal performance (or some other) difference between using the integer primary/foreign key and using the string (varchar(255)) keys in queries that use tables joins? Server is Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 Yes! The primary key will only be made up of 12 bytes. By using an integer you ensure that your entire column is in the key. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com Houston, TX *********************************************************** Enterprise Applications in Your F...

Keys, keys,keys...
Just installed PGP 6.5.8 and all is running fine, so far :-) Question: When I opened the PGP Keys window for the first time, apart from the *Create Key* wizard, there are about 50 odd keys belonging to various and sundry at NAI. Were these supplied for a purpose or only for illustration? Is there any reason they could not or should no be deleted? Question 2: I sent someone an encrypted test message using that person's public key. It went off fine except, I am left with only the encrypted eMail. What setting should I change in order for my eMail client (Outlook 2000) ...

Primary key
Hello, I've got a modeling problem betwin a conceptual model and a physical model and espacially about the foreign key. See below the illustrated exemple of the problem : -Whether the entity � ARTICLE � with two informations : CODE & WORDING -Whether the entity � UNITE � with two informations : CODE & WORDING An article has necesseraly three unity, the unity of command, of storage and of sails. These three unity can be differents. Conceptual model phycical model The generated physical model doesn't suitable me. How ...

Primary key/Foreign key again
Thanks, Nat and David. Under "SQL Anywhere", I get into ISQL to use "ALTER TABLE" command to add my primary key: ALTER TABLE Client ADD PRIMARY KEY (SYSID) I got an error: user 'dba' has the row in 'Client' locked. How can I release the locking condition? Click on another table in Sybase Central. Is suspect this is the issue. Dave Wolf Jaguar Product Team John Chyan wrote: > Thanks, Nat and David. > > Under "SQL Anywhere", I get into ISQL to use "ALTER TABLE" command > to add my primary key: > ...

primary key and foreign Key????
 Hi i have 2 table.. Table1UID         Username1               AB2               CD3               DD Table 2ITEM       Price          UIDPOO1      20.00          1POO2      10.00          2POO3       15.00         1 Now i am letting the Admin to delete the user in table1But since UID 1 and 2 are ...

foreign key as a primary key
hi, I am using a foreign key (which is a primary key in a secondary table) as a primary key in a primary table. There is also another primary key in the primary table. Do You have to declare the foregin key as a primary key ? regards Jan Eikeland email:jaeikela@c2i.net url :http://home.c2i.net/jaeikela In article <368b0234.5056065@forums.powersoft.com>, jaeikela@c2i.net says... > hi, > > I am using a foreign key (which is a primary key in a secondary table) > as a primary key in a primary table. > There is also another primary key in the primary table...

composite primary key and foreign key
I refer a composite primary key of a master table, I have to refer all the fields of the composite primary key. But how to partially refer the composite primary key in a child table? For example, if PARENT table  has primary key (A,B,C), how to create a foreign key in CHILD table which will refer only (A,B) fields of Table1?  Hi, Please refer to the following description: MSDN: In a foreign key reference, a link is created between two tables when the column or columns that hold the primary key value for one table are referenced by the column or columns in another table...

Primary key
> Je me permet de soliciter une aide sur poweramc V8. > Je suis en charge d'un projet ERP et je me pose la question suivante sur un > exemple de mod�lisation. > > Entit� : ARTICLE > information : Code article > Information : Libell� article > > Entit� : Unit� > Information : Code unit� (exemple : Kg, palette, m2...) > information : Libell� unit� > > Un article a 3 unit�s, unit� de stockage, unit� de vente et unit� d'achat. > Ces trois unit�s peuvent �tre diff�rentes. > > Dans mon MCD, j'...

No primary key value for foreign key
Hi, I tried to: alter table sa.shipitems add foreign key FK_SHIPITEM_REFERENCE_OITEMS (oitemsid) references sa.oitems (oitemsid) on update cascade on delete restrict but got this error: No primary key value for foreign key 'FK_SHIPITEM_REFERENCE_OITEMS' in table 'shipitems' What does it mean and how to round this problem? fyi, here is the definition of both table /*==============================================================*/ /* Table: shipitems */ /*===============================...

Foreign keys have the same columns as primary key
After upgrading from AppModeler 6.0 to 6.1 when I check my PDM I'm getting the following warning messages on a lot of columns: Foreign Keys have the same columns as primary key. The suggested correction doesn't help much. Can some one explain this warning to me? It seems that when the primary key of one table is a foreign key from another table this warning is poping up. Any help appreciated. Thanks, -- James L. Knowlton President and Programer/Analyst Law Enforcement Automated Data Systems, Inc Richmond, VA begin 666 James L. Knowlton.vcf M0D5'24XZ5D-!4D0-&q...

Foreign key constraint to a composite primary key
I have two tables: table 1 and table 2. The primary key of table is composite key of two collumns and table 2 is the child of parent table 1. Is it possible to create / define a foreign key constraint using a composite primary key? Yes u can give foreign key constraint to the table 2 but the composite primary should be there in foreign table. For eg. table 1 has 2 columns (e-id, e-name) as composite primary key then table2 must have (e-id,e-name) as the columns (maybe with different headings) but the foreign key can be set.Sagar Virani The syntax for a referential constraint is: &nb...

Primary Key/Foreign Key relationship errors
Hey All,  So I am having trouble getting Dynamic Data to set up my SQL Data properly. For some reason, it is not reading the primary key/foreign key relationships correctly. Here is an example of the warning message I am getting:  Warning 1 DBML1062: The Type attribute 'UpdatedInfo' of the Association element 'Location_UpdatedInfo' of the Type element 'Location' does not have a primary key.  No code will be generated for the association.  0 0 Warning 2 DBML1062: The Type attribute 'UpdatedInfo' of the As...

Foreign key duplicates part of primary key
I have the following entities with the following identifiers Employee ID Employment - dependent of Employee and Payroll, Many to one relationship to Termination. HIRE DATE Payroll Paycode Termination - dependent of Payroll Term_Code When I generate the physical model I get the following tables and primary keys, foreign keys Employee ID Employment Primary Key Pay_Code ID HireDate Foreign Key Term_Code Ter_Pay_Code Payroll Paycode Termination - dependent of Payroll Pa...

Clustered Primary Key and Foreign Key: T-SQL
I am having a little trouble getting this to work right, but have come a ways since I started this.......other tables created first and with no problems..... then these two with the last table being the problemI need to set one foreign key in the second table referencing the first table.But, the primary key is clustered with the two foreign keys and I get the error....There are no primary or candidate keys in the referenced table 'courseScores' that match the referencing column list in the foreign key 'FK_course'.CREATE TABLE dbo.courseScores   (     course...

Web resources about - Primary Key/Foreign Key - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

NHS primary care trust - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An NHS primary care trust (PCT) is a type of NHS trust , part of the National Health Service in England . PCTs commission primary, community ...

45kg fibreglass cow stolen from Elizabeth Vale Primary School - AdelaideNow Search Search
A FAKE cow called Milko has been stolen from an Adelaide primary school.

Parents concerned over multi-age split classes at Perth primary school
... on the cusp of puberty are being grouped with children as young as nine in multi-age group “split classes” in Perth. Parents at Newton Primary ...

Larwyn’s Linx: Movement to Primary Speaker Paul Ryan Out of Congress Picks Up Steam
Send us tips ! Bloggers: install a Larwyn's Linx widget . Get real-time news, 24/7, at BadBlue . Nation Movement to Primary Speaker Paul Ryan ...

YouTube and NBC News present Democratic primary debate in South Carolina
... month, we’ll join together with NBC News to present the final DNC sanctioned Democratic presidential debate before the first caucus and primary ...

Ted Cruz Woos SEC Primary Voters with Vows to Roll Back Obama Policies at Alabama Rally
Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) is off and running on his “Take Off with Ted Cruz Country Christmas Tour.”

30 Percent Of Republican Primary Voters Want To Bomb Aladdin's Fictional City
... evangelical Christians, and ignorance. Good grief. According to a new Public Policy Polling (PPP) poll , 30 percent of Republican primary ...

Who Will Sen. Tim Scott Endorse Ahead Of South Carolina Primary?
Who Will Sen. Tim Scott Endorse Ahead Of South Carolina Primary?

George Pataki walks away from the Republican primary's kiddie table
... New York Gov. George Pataki took advantage of a slow news week to get more attention for dropping out of the Republican presidential primary ...