Powerbuilder datawindow + stored procedure

database ASA 7

When we build a datawindow in powerbuilder we choose the table and the
columns to build it. There is also the possibility to build a datawindow
from a stored procedure.

Is a stored procedure running faster because the database remembers the
execution plan?

Thanks
Eric
0
ontsnapt

"ontsnapt" <ontsnapt@hotmail.com> wrote:

> database ASA 7
>
> When we build a datawindow in powerbuilder we choose the table and the
> columns to build it. There is also the possibility to build a datawindow
> from a stored procedure.
>
> Is a stored procedure running faster because the database remembers the
> execution plan?

No - plan caching has been introduced in ASA8.

Dmitri.

0
Dmitri
7/11/2007 7:07:31 AM
So, this is true if we upgarde to ASA 9 or 10?

Dmitri wrote:
> "ontsnapt" <ontsnapt@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> database ASA 7
>>
>> When we build a datawindow in powerbuilder we choose the table and the
>> columns to build it. There is also the possibility to build a datawindow
>> from a stored procedure.
>>
>> Is a stored procedure running faster because the database remembers the
>> execution plan?
>
> No - plan caching has been introduced in ASA8.
>
> Dmitri.

0
ontsnapt
7/11/2007 11:50:00 AM
It depends... the benefits of re-optimizing on each execution may
outweigh the benefits of storing a reusable plan. As with all
optimizations, testing should be done to determine if a change is an
improvement or not... and THAT will be pretty hard in this case
without writing and testing all the procedures to see if they perform
better than SELECTs.

IMO stored procedures under DataWindows make life enormously hard for
developers, especially if you want to update/insert/delete rows.
Stored procedures under DataWindows are usually used for reasons
*other* than performance, no matter what DBMS you use. One reason is
security, another is query complexity.

Having said all that, if you want the full benefits of reusable plans,
go directly to 10.0.1... and read the 10.0.1 Help on the subject.

Breck

--
Breck Carter [Team iAnywhere]
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services

Web resources about - Powerbuilder datawindow + stored procedure - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Jim O'Neil (@jimoneil) on Twitter

Contact Us - Sybase Inc

热门搜索 - 我的异常网

Top Ranked Articles