Posting and Delphi

Hi,
I use Delphi 3.02 and SQLAnywhere 5.5.04
One problem I am having ( it is quite rare ), is that the BDE ( I assume
) is returning a
Record/Key Deleted exception. This appears to be when a record is being
appended in code, eg,
query1.append;
query1OrderDate.value := date;
query1.post;
It also occures after a post and a new form is opened which is
retrieving the just added record, eg,
select * from orders where orderID = :orderID.
I have also had this error on my standalone 95 machine when cutting up
text files to a table. The program parses each file, reads the code at
the start of each line, and then decides what to do, ie, start a new
record, copy the line to field xxx or post the record. There may be 20
or more files and each file may result in several records being posted.
I always do a StartTransaction and commit around each file, so the file
can be deleted after the Commit.
When I got this error, I simply ran the process again and it worked with
no error.
I believe it has to be a timing issue of some kind.
Can someone who uses Delphi help . Also are there settings in the
database options that can be delaying the writing of the record and
therefore the next sql statement that runs cannot see it?

Thanks
Gavin Godfrey

0
Gavin

Hi, Gavin

My supposition: you not assign primary key value for record before post (for
example, you use autoincrement field) or you havn't primary key, for table,
on the whole. In this case, after Post, TQuery can't locate appended record
in recordset and you have this message. The record, in this case, appended
successfully. The solution to flow out.

PS. Sorry for my bad english.

Oleg
----------------------------------
Oleg Kovalevsky
Moscow, Russia

Gavin Godfrey <gaving@aia.net.au> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I use Delphi 3.02 and SQLAnywhere 5.5.04
> One problem I am having ( it is quite rare ), is that the BDE ( I assume
> ) is returning a
> Record/Key Deleted exception. This appears to be when a record is being
> appended in code, eg,
> query1.append;
> query1OrderDate.value := date;
> query1.post;
> It also occures after a post and a new form is opened which is
> retrieving the just added record, eg,
> select * from orders where orderID = :orderID.
> I have also had this error on my standalone 95 machine when cutting up
> text files to a table. The program parses each file, reads the code at
> the start of each line, and then decides what to do, ie, start a new
> record, copy the line to field xxx or post the record. There may be 20
> or more files and each file may result in several records being posted.
> I always do a StartTransaction and commit around each file, so the file
> can be deleted after the Commit.
> When I got this error, I simply ran the process again and it worked with
> no error.
> I believe it has to be a timing issue of some kind.
> Can someone who uses Delphi help . Also are there settings in the
> database options that can be delaying the writing of the record and
> therefore the next sql statement that runs cannot see it?
>
> Thanks
> Gavin Godfrey

0
Oleg
8/10/2000 11:10:46 AM
Hello Gavin,

i think we had the same problems a few months ago.
If we didn't set the pk-field within dset.beforeinsert the record wasn't
saved.
The problem is that the record is already there before posting and not when
post is done.

Heinz-Josef
dahlmanns@b-s-t.de

Delphi and ASA Solutions

"Gavin Godfrey" <gaving@aia.net.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
> I use Delphi 3.02 and SQLAnywhere 5.5.04
> One problem I am having ( it is quite rare ), is that the BDE ( I assume
> ) is returning a
> Record/Key Deleted exception. This appears to be when a record is being
> appended in code, eg,
> query1.append;
> query1OrderDate.value := date;
> query1.post;
> It also occures after a post and a new form is opened which is
> retrieving the just added record, eg,
> select * from orders where orderID = :orderID.
> I have also had this error on my standalone 95 machine when cutting up
> text files to a table. The program parses each file, reads the code at
> the start of each line, and then decides what to do, ie, start a new
> record, copy the line to field xxx or post the record. There may be 20
> or more files and each file may result in several records being posted.
> I always do a StartTransaction and commit around each file, so the file
> can be deleted after the Commit.
> When I got this error, I simply ran the process again and it worked with
> no error.
> I believe it has to be a timing issue of some kind.
> Can someone who uses Delphi help . Also are there settings in the
> database options that can be delaying the writing of the record and
> therefore the next sql statement that runs cannot see it?
>
> Thanks
> Gavin Godfrey

0
Heinz
8/10/2000 11:39:28 AM
Sorry,

In dset.beforeinsert? Not in dset.OnNewRecord?

Oleg

Heinz-Josef Dahlmanns[ISQL+] <dahlmanns@b-s-t.de> wrote in message
> Hello Gavin,
>
> i think we had the same problems a few months ago.
> If we didn't set the pk-field within dset.beforeinsert the record wasn't
> saved.
> The problem is that the record is already there before posting and not
when
> post is done.
>
> Heinz-Josef
> dahlmanns@b-s-t.de
>
> Delphi and ASA Solutions
>
> "Gavin Godfrey" <gaving@aia.net.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi,
> > I use Delphi 3.02 and SQLAnywhere 5.5.04
> > One problem I am having ( it is quite rare ), is that the BDE ( I assume
> > ) is returning a
> > Record/Key Deleted exception. This appears to be when a record is being
> > appended in code, eg,
> > query1.append;
> > query1OrderDate.value := date;
> > query1.post;
> > It also occures after a post and a new form is opened which is
> > retrieving the just added record, eg,
> > select * from orders where orderID = :orderID.
> > I have also had this error on my standalone 95 machine when cutting up
> > text files to a table. The program parses each file, reads the code at
> > the start of each line, and then decides what to do, ie, start a new
> > record, copy the line to field xxx or post the record. There may be 20
> > or more files and each file may result in several records being posted.
> > I always do a StartTransaction and commit around each file, so the file
> > can be deleted after the Commit.
> > When I got this error, I simply ran the process again and it worked with
> > no error.
> > I believe it has to be a timing issue of some kind.
> > Can someone who uses Delphi help . Also are there settings in the
> > database options that can be delaying the writing of the record and
> > therefore the next sql statement that runs cannot see it?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Gavin Godfrey

0
Oleg
All tables have a primary key. Almost all tables use an autoincrement field for
this. It is very difficult to work out the table that the error is relating to.

This problem might only happen once or twice a month, so it is not a
programming error in my opinion.
Do you know what actually would cause a Record/Key deleted message, ie, can I
duplicate it in code somehow.
Also, if I have an autoincremented field defined in the database, I certainly
do not want to assign a value myself.

Thanks
Gavin Godfrey

Heinz-Josef Dahlmanns[ISQL+] wrote:

> Hello Gavin,
>
> i think we had the same problems a few months ago.
> If we didn't set the pk-field within dset.beforeinsert the record wasn't
> saved.
> The problem is that the record is already there before posting and not when
> post is done.
>
> Heinz-Josef
> dahlmanns@b-s-t.de
>
> Delphi and ASA Solutions
>
> "Gavin Godfrey" <gaving@aia.net.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Hi,
> > I use Delphi 3.02 and SQLAnywhere 5.5.04
> > One problem I am having ( it is quite rare ), is that the BDE ( I assume
> > ) is returning a
> > Record/Key Deleted exception. This appears to be when a record is being
> > appended in code, eg,
> > query1.append;
> > query1OrderDate.value := date;
> > query1.post;
> > It also occures after a post and a new form is opened which is
> > retrieving the just added record, eg,
> > select * from orders where orderID = :orderID.
> > I have also had this error on my standalone 95 machine when cutting up
> > text files to a table. The program parses each file, reads the code at
> > the start of each line, and then decides what to do, ie, start a new
> > record, copy the line to field xxx or post the record. There may be 20
> > or more files and each file may result in several records being posted.
> > I always do a StartTransaction and commit around each file, so the file
> > can be deleted after the Commit.
> > When I got this error, I simply ran the process again and it worked with
> > no error.
> > I believe it has to be a timing issue of some kind.
> > Can someone who uses Delphi help . Also are there settings in the
> > database options that can be delaying the writing of the record and
> > therefore the next sql statement that runs cannot see it?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Gavin Godfrey

0
Gavin
8/11/2000 12:30:47 AM
It works.

btw. we changed to NativeDB

muuuuuuuuuch better !!

Heinz-Josef
dahlmanns@b-s-t.de

"Oleg Kovalevsky" <okovalevsky@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Sorry,
>
> In dset.beforeinsert? Not in dset.OnNewRecord?
>
> Oleg
>
> Heinz-Josef Dahlmanns[ISQL+] <dahlmanns@b-s-t.de> wrote in message
> > Hello Gavin,
> >
> > i think we had the same problems a few months ago.
> > If we didn't set the pk-field within dset.beforeinsert the record wasn't
> > saved.
> > The problem is that the record is already there before posting and not
> when
> > post is done.
> >
> > Heinz-Josef
> > dahlmanns@b-s-t.de
> >
> > Delphi and ASA Solutions
> >
> > "Gavin Godfrey" <gaving@aia.net.au> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > Hi,
> > > I use Delphi 3.02 and SQLAnywhere 5.5.04
> > > One problem I am having ( it is quite rare ), is that the BDE ( I
assume
> > > ) is returning a
> > > Record/Key Deleted exception. This appears to be when a record is
being
> > > appended in code, eg,
> > > query1.append;
> > > query1OrderDate.value := date;
> > > query1.post;
> > > It also occures after a post and a new form is opened which is
> > > retrieving the just added record, eg,
> > > select * from orders where orderID = :orderID.
> > > I have also had this error on my standalone 95 machine when cutting up
> > > text files to a table. The program parses each file, reads the code at
> > > the start of each line, and then decides what to do, ie, start a new
> > > record, copy the line to field xxx or post the record. There may be 20
> > > or more files and each file may result in several records being
posted.
> > > I always do a StartTransaction and commit around each file, so the
file
> > > can be deleted after the Commit.
> > > When I got this error, I simply ran the process again and it worked
with
> > > no error.
> > > I believe it has to be a timing issue of some kind.
> > > Can someone who uses Delphi help . Also are there settings in the
> > > database options that can be delaying the writing of the record and
> > > therefore the next sql statement that runs cannot see it?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Gavin Godfrey

0
Heinz
8/11/2000 8:09:08 AM
Hi Oleg,
You are right. I do not assign the primary key. This is because the database
engine does that. I beleive that this is how it should be done.
You are also right about the record still actually being appended. I wrapped the
Query1.post call up in  a try .. except block like
Try
  Query1.post
except on e:exception do begin
  if pos('RECORD/KEY DELETED',e.message) <= 0 then
    raise;
end;
end;
This means the exception is ignored if it is a Record/key deleted exception. The
record has infact been stored. The whole process would also have a
starttransaction earlier in the code with a rollback for an exception. So
without the above code, the record would be appended, then the Record/Key
deleted exception would be raised and the rollback would be issued.
You finished with 'The Solution to flow out'.
Have you got a more elegant and less time consuming method ( I would have to
wrap every post with the above code ) .

Thanks
Gavin Godfrey

Oleg Kovalevsky wrote:

> Hi, Gavin
>
> My supposition: you not assign primary key value for record before post (for
> example, you use autoincrement field) or you havn't primary key, for table,
> on the whole. In this case, after Post, TQuery can't locate appended record
> in recordset and you have this message. The record, in this case, appended
> successfully. The solution to flow out.
>
> PS. Sorry for my bad english.
>
> Oleg
> ----------------------------------
> Oleg Kovalevsky
> Moscow, Russia
>
> Gavin Godfrey <gaving@aia.net.au> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I use Delphi 3.02 and SQLAnywhere 5.5.04
> > One problem I am having ( it is quite rare ), is that the BDE ( I assume
> > ) is returning a
> > Record/Key Deleted exception. This appears to be when a record is being
> > appended in code, eg,
> > query1.append;
> > query1OrderDate.value := date;
> > query1.post;
> > It also occures after a post and a new form is opened which is
> > retrieving the just added record, eg,
> > select * from orders where orderID = :orderID.
> > I have also had this error on my standalone 95 machine when cutting up
> > text files to a table. The program parses each file, reads the code at
> > the start of each line, and then decides what to do, ie, start a new
> > record, copy the line to field xxx or post the record. There may be 20
> > or more files and each file may result in several records being posted.
> > I always do a StartTransaction and commit around each file, so the file
> > can be deleted after the Commit.
> > When I got this error, I simply ran the process again and it worked with
> > no error.
> > I believe it has to be a timing issue of some kind.
> > Can someone who uses Delphi help . Also are there settings in the
> > database options that can be delaying the writing of the record and
> > therefore the next sql statement that runs cannot see it?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Gavin Godfrey

0
Gavin
8/15/2000 1:08:17 AM
Gavin

.... you know the source of error. On the current day exist only one solution
(with BDE): don't use autoincrement... Manually assign primary key values.
It is enought easy via one sp for all tables. Use OnNewRecord, it is not
time consuming for coding and work very well. The speed is good. Similar
problem exist with another SQL servers via BDE. You can see similar topics
very often in Borland news.

procedure TdmMain.cdsPositionNewRecord(DataSet: TDataSet);
begin
  cdsPosition_job_id.Value := Generator(tblJobsName);
  cdsPosition_def_salary.Value := 1; (or $1000 or may be $100000 or
MORE....)
end;

function TdmMain.Generator(TheTable: string): Longint;
begin
 with fn_generator do
  begin
   ParamByName('@table_name').AsString:=TheTable;
    ExecProc;
    Result:=ParamByName('fn_generator').AsInteger;
  end;
end;

And you can easy use this generator for assign primary key values in stored
proc. I'm use this technique over two year without problem.

create function dev.fn_generator(in @table_name varchar(128))
returns integer
begin
  declare @id integer;
  --  is are table name correct?
  if TRIM(@table_name)='' or LOCATE(@table_name,'.')<>0 then
    raiserror 20003 'Impossible the table name for ID generator -
'||UCASE(@table_name)
  end if;
  --  is the row for this table exist?
  if not exists(select* from dev.idgenerator where
idgen_tablename=UCASE(@table_name)) then
    execute immediate 'insert into dev.idgenerator(idgen_tablename,
idgen_lastused) values (UCASE(@table_name), -1)'
  end if
  ; --  increment ID
  execute immediate 'update dev.idgenerator set
idgen_lastused=idgen_lastused+1 where idgen_tablename=UCASE(@table_name)';
  --  get new ID
  set @id=(select idgen_lastused from dev.idgenerator where
idgen_tablename=UCASE(@table_name));
  return(@id)
end

The source for this function is posted in this group some years before.
Thanks for author (can't remember his name).

Oleg
----------------------------------
Oleg Kovalevsky
Moscow, Russia
e-mail: gersv@aha.ru

0
Oleg
8/16/2000 11:27:18 AM
>> ( I would have to wrap every post with the above code ) .
Not really.

Just create a function with the error wrapping and call the function instead of
posting directly.
That is what I do.

You can pass the name of the tquery component to the function and pass back
boolean true/false to see if it had success or failure.

Mike

0
Mike
8/17/2000 3:31:07 AM
Thanks Mike,
I have done this with a function called SafePost, which ignores the Record/Key
deleted exception.
Only thing now is that one user reckons they got the Record/Key deleted error
message when updating an Existing record, ie, they were taking an Invoice off of
hold, the code being similar to
Invoices.edit;
InvoicesOnHold.asBoolean := false;
Invoices.post.

This one has got me a little confused.

How is NativeDB going?
Regards
Gavin

Mike Packard wrote:

> >> ( I would have to wrap every post with the above code ) .
> Not really.
>
> Just create a function with the error wrapping and call the function instead of
> posting directly.
> That is what I do.
>
> You can pass the name of the tquery component to the function and pass back
> boolean true/false to see if it had success or failure.
>
> Mike

0
Gavin

embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general
Hello! is the embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general forum working? Suddenly I can't post anything to it with Thunderbird Thanks! Sergio sergio wrote: > Hello! is the embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general forum > working? Suddenly I can't post anything to it with Thunderbird Works fine for me. -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) On 27/02/2014 05:48 p.m., Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote: > sergio wrote: > >> Hello! is the embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general forum >> working? Suddenly I can't post anything to it wit...

delphi.general
Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can't read the group *embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general* Does anybody know if there's something wrong with it? Or maybe is my reader? (Thunderbird) I get this messagge when I try to read the latest messages: Error! newsgroup server responded:no such article found Perhaps the article has expired <692702@forums.embarcadero.com> (33145) Click here to remove all expired articles sergio wrote: > Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can'...

My posts not being posted?
Sorry, had to do a test - I replied to a thread twice but neither of my posts have appeared...... On 12-08-08 1:47 PM, Gordon wrote: > Sorry, had to do a test - I replied to a thread twice but neither of my > posts have appeared...... This group is moderated, so that all posts go through the mailing list and SpamAssassin. SpamAssassin gave your posts a higher than normal spam score, so it held them for moderator approval. -- Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca> Mailing list/Newsgroup moderator On 09/08/12 04:31, Chris Ilias wrote: > This group is moderated, so t...

What generals generally do

Delphi and SQLanywhere

RAD Studio 2010 (Delphi, C++Builder, and Delphi Prism) Posted
All, The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. Link: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934 Enjoy, Mike Michael Rozlog wrote: > All, > > The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. > > Link: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934 > Thanks for the info, Mike. One thing I'm missing in the slides is the effort to bring the compiler into the C++ Standard compliance (lamda/closures, auto/decltype, etc.) I hope it's just an omission! :) Il Tue, 11 May 2010 09:01:04 -0700, Alex Bakaev <a@b.cc> ha scritto: >Than...

RAD Studio 2010 (Delphi, C++Builder, and Delphi Prism) Posted
All, The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. Link: http://edn.embarcadero.com/article/39934 Enjoy, Mike "Michael Rozlog" <michael.rozlog@embarcadero.com> wrote in message news:241286@forums.embarcadero.com... > The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. We have to wait all the way until Commodore to get better documentation? And until Chromium to get OTA documentation? -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) On 10.05.2010 23:50, Michael Rozlog wrote: > All, > > The new roadmap for RAD Studio has been posted. > > Link: http://e...

Is there a way to create DW Group dynamically? (Posted on General too
Sorry, don't mean to cross post I'm wondering if there is a way to create a DataWindow's grouping dynamically? I'd like to do that as a service so I can turn on/off the Grouping if I want to. this service maybe added as a pop menu item. Thanks for your help. PB 9.01 (Build 7171) XP - SP1 MS-SQL Server 2000 -- - Eddy Put a computed column on your dw and group by that. To turn on/off the grouping, just change the expression for the compute using Modify(). "Eddy Soeparmin" <esoeparmin@clientprofiles.com> wrote in message news:40d2e8dc...

delphi.general Timer
This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --JivePart=_202d5.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Utf-8" For Paolo Valle --JivePart=_202d5.zeB8CwDOH5aMJzMl Content-Type: application/octet-stream; name="SubroutineTimer.pas" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Content-Disposition: attachment; filename="SubroutineTimer.pas" dW5pdCBTdWJyb3V0aW5lVGltZXI7DQoNCmludGVyZmFjZQ0KDQpwcm9jZWR1cmUgU3RhcnRTdWJy b3V0aW5lVGltZXI7DQpmdW5jdGlvbiBHZXRTdWJSb...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

Authenticate SQLAnywhere in Delphi?
I have the authenticated version of SQL Anywhere. All of the examples of how to build an application capable of running with the authenticated database engine are in C. How do I do this in Delphi? Does anyone have any actual code examples? - Ron ...

Delphi 2010 and SqlAnywhere
Has anybody been able to make a connection with Delphi 2010 to Sql Anywhere either V9 or V10. A simple application that connects just fine in Delphi 2007 returns the following error message: "Could not find metdata:TDBXSybaseASAMetaDataFactory; package: DbxReadOnlyMetaData100.bpl. Add DbxDynaLink to your uses clause" Of couse, DbDynaLink is already part of the uses clause. DbxReadOnlyMetaData100.bpl is in C:\Windows\System32 This is on a Windows 7 machine running both Delphi 2007 and Delphi 2010. Both are Professional versions. The product documentation said something abo...

SQLAnywhere & Delphi
Hi. I have some questions about this product. (SQLAnywhere) 1) I mainly use W95 peer to peer, W95 standalone and W95 Client with Novell Server. Is SQLA really fast and stable is these configurations? 2) If I buy SQLA; Do I need to buy another interface product or I can use directly from Delphi 3? 3) Can I use SQLA with Delphi 1 (16 bits)? 4) How about the price scheme? Is there any kind of developer product or my clients need to buy a copy of SQLA? ( I'am a independent developer) Thanx in advance Hugo <hrm@peru.itete.com.pe> ...

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

Web resources about - Posting and Delphi - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Posting style - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... is replied to in e-mail , Internet forums , or Usenet , the original can often be included, or "quoted", in a variety of different posting styles ...

Running Cross-Country, Posting On Facebook, And Writing A Book About It All
Running a marathon is tough, but what about running a marathon each day, for 93 days in a row, from California to Florida? Registered nurse Helene ...

Page updates not posting to my twitter... - Facebook-Hilfebereich - Facebook

Posting to the Stream in Real Time with the Live Stream Box
Posting to the Stream in Real Time with the Live Stream Box

Facebook Careers Postings: Patents, Engineering, Mobile and More
... deal with patents, mobile, sales and recruiting. We gather this information from the company’s Careers Page, and this week there were no postings ...

Mr Hockey goes to Washington: Top posting a curious reward for political flame-out
Ever noticed how the loudest advocates of free enterprise and the&nbsp;private sector, are also the most reluctant to leave the public sector? ...

Man arrested for DUI after posting video of drinking while driving on Facebook
An Ohio man has been arrested for DUI after he posted a video of himself drinking while driving on Facebook.

Kardashians keep posting naked pictures of themselves
Do the Kardashians have any klothes? For folks so fashionable they sure love posing (and posting) nekkid. Is Kourtney Kardashian dating Justin ...

LinkedIn just completely overhauled its job postings to make it easier for you to land a new gig
LinkedIn just completely overhauled the way it will display job postings: increasing the amount of information it surfaces front-and-center in ...

Screenings missed San Bernardino shooter's radical postings - Videos - CBS News
... behind by shooters Syed Rizwan Farook and his wife, Tashfeen Malik. Law enforcement sources confirmed to CBS News that Malik made radical postings ...