Performance tuning

Is there a way to create and analyze some kind of trace files with SQL
Anywhere 5.5?

I have a program that issues "generated" SQL statements. I'd like to
quickly look for those that create full table scans in any of the used
tables to see if I can optimize data access.

TIA

Peter

Peter Hiemenz

Hilden, near Duesseldorf

Germany

0
Peter

I wrote something like this a couple months back.  It interrogates the
trace file that PowerBuilder produces.  It's rather proprietary since
it's one of the tools that I use when I do Performance & Tuning
consulting for clients.

The PowerBuilder trace file was easier to work with than the ODBC trace
file.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com
In article <MPG.11c475bca303a9c3989d05@forums.sybase.com>, Jim Egan wrote:
> The PowerBuilder trace file was easier to work with than the ODBC trace
> file.

I'm not using PowerBuilder <g>. So the only trace file available is the
ODBC trace file. This just has no info about the database strategy.

Peter

Peter Hiemenz

Hilden, near Duesseldorf

Germany

0
Peter
6/7/1999 9:06:30 PM
Right.  Neither does the PowerBuilder one, but the SQL source is easy to
extract out of it.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com
Houston, TX
0
jegan
6/7/1999 9:25:26 PM
If you know the SQL that is being used you can use the PLAN function.

select * from customer where state='NY'

Use the following:
select plan('select * from customer where state=''NY'')
output to c:\some\file\name

Please note, the ''NY'' is actually single quote single quote NY single
quote single quote.  You must escape the quotes inside of a string.

This provides detailed information on the access plan.
A brief version is what is displayed in the statistics window of ISQL.

--
David Fishburn
Sybase

Peter Hiemenz wrote in message ...
>Is there a way to create and analyze some kind of trace files with SQL
>Anywhere 5.5?
>
>I have a program that issues "generated" SQL statements. I'd like to
>quickly look for those that create full table scans in any of the used
>tables to see if I can optimize data access.
>

>TIA
>
>Peter
>
>Peter Hiemenz
>
>Hilden, near Duesseldorf
>
>Germany

0
David
6/8/1999 6:04:57 PM
>If you know the SQL that is being used you can use the PLAN function.

thank you. But SQL code fromn ODBC logfile contains lot's of "?" for
bound variables so this cannot be automated.

I'd really like to see some kind of tracing mode.

Peter

Peter Hiemenz

Hilden, near Duesseldorf

Germany

0
Peter
6/9/1999 7:41:01 PM
I think you can eliminate some of the ?'s in the trace if binding is
disabled.  PowerBuilder does this with a switch.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com
Houston, TX
0
jegan

Tuning / performance
Hi all, Ok I have now released Bugzilla as our system bugtracking tool, and all is going well. I am running on Win XP virtual server Bugzilla v 2.22 My SQL 5.0.24a-community-nt Apache 2.2.3 But I seem to be hitting some issues. Sometimes users enter requests and they take a long time to respond. (30 secs plus) and their browser (IE and Firefox) returns a page cannot be displayed. I am currently running the default configuration for MySQL and Apache on windows. The bug change/addition is actually stored ok, but the system does not seem to be responding efficiently. ...

SQLAnywhere performance
I have a SQLANywhere db running on a Netware v 3.12 server. The database performed well as a stand-alone db but when moved to the network performance is lousy. Where do I look for answers/solutions to this problem? thanks How lousy? What part is lousy? You can't expect multiple row retrieves to perform the same in both a network and standalone environment. ...

performance tuning
Hi, All, I run select * statement from a view on both ASE11.5 and ASE12. The speeds for returning the value are very different. On ASE11.5, it only takes 1min while on ASE12, it takes 30min. ASE12 has bigger data caches for the database and tempdb than what the ASE11.5 has. Both of them have the same indexes. After I run sp_sysmon on ASE12, in the report of data cache management, ASE12 has high cache hit ratio (that is good) and high pool turnover (no good). Does that mean I need to increase the data cache for ASE12? I also noticed that in OS, ASE12 has very tight free mem...

General performance
Name: Rodolfo Wetzel Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: General performance Comments: It works fine, specially with zooming sites like chess.com that are difficult with IE (chess pieces are not properly shown). What I really miss, are some add on like cooliris' blue botton to search faster. So I still use the Firefox 2.1 with working compatibilities. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008032620 Firefox/3.0b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

Performance Tuning
 (If this is the wrong forum, please advise and I'll repost).I have developed a web site, www.nzgdb.co.nz, using Visual Web Designer 2005 (Express).  It has a large genealogy database (SQL Server 2005), and runs on a new dual-core processor server with 2GB of memory, using SBS 2003 (SP 2).   There are no other applications or web sites running on this server.My design is supposed to be optimized for the two critical activities, page GDB1 which searches the GDB (genealogy database) according to various criteria to return a list of records, and page GDB2 which is invoke...

Performance Tuning
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------080804050908060708060306 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit 32-bit ASE 12.5 Solaris 8 1) I am running a number of stored procedures ... and have a few problems with the performance. It uses a few temporary tables. The stored procedure calls other stored procedures in a loop. By calling getdate() before and after each stored procedure call ... there was really nothing much that the sps ... do ..... almost everything completes execution in less than second. ...

What generals generally do

performance tuning
Hi, All, I run select * statement from a view on both ASE11.5 and ASE12. The speeds for returning the value are very different. On ASE11.5, it only takes 1min while on ASE12, it takes 30min. ASE12 has bigger data caches for the database and tempdb than what the ASE11.5 has. Both of them have the same indexes. After I run sp_sysmon on ASE12, in the report of data cache management, ASE12 has high cache hit ratio (that is good) and high pool turnover (no good). Does that mean I need to increase the data cache for ASE12? I also noticed that in OS, ASE12 has very tight free mem...

Tuning Performance
We intalled a Sybase IQ 12.5 on a HP-UX, we have a IQ database of 255 GB, some of the querys are very slow, please, what are the main aspects that we have to look for to get a better performance ??. Thanks. Jorge main things (imho): indexes, optimization of memory usage, iqtc 60% of memory. The rest need to see more info about your tables, indexes, query plan, type of querys, HW etc <Jorge del Mar> wrote in message news:416ae5e2.6071.1681692777@sybase.com... > We intalled a Sybase IQ 12.5 on a HP-UX, we have a IQ > database of 255 GB, some of the querys are very ...

Performance and Tuning
I have a pb application running on sybase db. It is very slow. We used PFC for developing the application. I would like to know what is the best to way to tune the performance of the application. Any ideas are greatly appreciated . Thanks in advance.. Leo Leo, From my experience, performance problem mostly due to inefficient SQL statement. Check which SQL statement caused the problem and then tune that SQL. Hope this can help. Leo <Spamoff_Leo@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:bn7hXf#LAHA.260@forums.sybase.com... > I have a pb application running on sybase db...

Performance about SQLAnywhere
Currently I have a SQLAnywhere database of size over 250Mb. We have a program written in PB to retrieve data from it, but that program slowed down gradually after we increased the volume of data from 100Mb to its current size. Is this a limitation of SQLAnywhere, or just my machine? Is there any fine tuning possible? The configuration of my machine is Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 10G HD. If you have allocated sufficient cache to the database (should be at least 25mb, and 64mb would be good) then the remaining suspect would be a table scan somewhere. Have all database-related functio...

Performance Tuning #2
I am trying to do some performance tuning to our SQL Anywhere version 10.0.1.3685 x86 windows. I have tried to run the application profiling against our development database and against my local database with no luck. I change mode to application profiling and choose Performance of your database application and check ignore queries that take less than 1 sec, push next. I get to save analysis to the the following file and put a path to a file that doesn't exist yet. I then click next and get creating tracing database, it says its unloading stuff and has the progress bar going ...

Performance Tuning #2
Dear All, Need advice!!! I had attended ASE Performance Tuning course, knew all the sysmon report and update statistic, DOL,optdiag, sp_configure, locks,etc!! BUT, after i come back to my office, i have no idea where to begin. I mean, what shall do to the server? Gather statistics by running the sp_sysmon/sp_monitor/optdiag???? How? Please any advice. Our server had never do any statistic gethering or performance tuning. I will spenind time on our development server before proceed to live server. I really appreciate your help!!! thanks in advance!! On 30 Sep 2003 03:37:21...

Web resources about - Performance tuning - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Internet performance: You can't improve what you can't see
To get the most out of the 'Cloud' you have to learn how to tame it.

2016 Audi RS7 Performance is an LA beauty in blue
Filed under: 2015 LA Auto Show , Audi , Sedan , Performance The 2016 Audi RS7 Performance turns up the 4.0-liter twin turbo V8 to 605 horsepower ...

1366 Technologies Direct Wafer Product Hits Performance Record
Massachusetts-based 1366 Technologies has announced a series of new performance records for its kerfless, drop-in 156mm multi-crystalline wafers, ...

Ken Griffin: Key to our performance is research
Ken Griffin, Citadel Investment Group Founder, discusses many topics including U.S. markets, a healthy business year, his divorce settlement ...

iPad Mini 4 outshines iPad Pro in display performance
The two new tablets are both lauded for their displays by screen tester DisplayMate, but it's the little one that comes out on top.

Intel's first server chip with performance-boosting FPGA to ship early in '16
Intel will ship its first Xeon server chip with a programmable FPGA from Altera in the first quarter next year, some 18 months after announcing ...

Jada Pinkett Smith Bares It All in See-Through Dress for Will Smith's Latin GRAMMYs Performance – See ...
Jada Pinkett Smith Bares It All in See-Through Dress for Will Smith's Latin GRAMMYs Performance – See the Pics!

Google Makes Moves to Boost Cloud Network Performance
Google unveils updates that include new Cloud Router and Subnetworks capabilities, as well as a partnership with Akamai.

American Music Awards 2015: Five Seconds Of Summer's 'Wall-Shaking' Performance One To Watch
The American Music Awards promises some big performances for its 2015 show, but only Five Seconds of Summer promises to "make the walls shake" ...