Performance Monitor Again

PLEASE HELP!!!

We have a C++ application that uses Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0 as the back end.
We have enabled performance monitor so that we can analyze some of options
available to us for SQL Anywhere 5.0.  There are many options like active
requests, bytes receive etc.  What we are trying to gain from this analysis
is confirmation that the database server is sufficient and that we are not
overloading/overworking the database server.  Can someone please advise me
as to some useful measurements, as well as a normal/abnormal range for those
measurements?  We have 65 workstations all making inserts, updates and
deletes on a fairly intensive basis.

Thanks in advance,

Emi Saba Blue

0
Emi

Unless you are having some specific throughput or bottleneck issues, there
may
not be much anyone can tell you. Performance monitoring and tuning is
usually a
'black art' that some are better at than others and often different
situations require
different skills (so the best falter under some scenarios).

Since you are trying to prove that there is no potential performance
problems
you may be trying to prove a negative (always a harder problem) because
the tools are designed to identify

    'what problem exists'

rather than

    'if there is going to be a problem'

I do suggest is monitor and capture every statistic (NT and DB both) and
see if there is any saturation of a resource or inefficiency in any caching
layers.
Look for repeated and persistent 100% consumeds, 0%free/availables, large
numbers of cache misses (low cache hits), ...,disk space running low,
physical
memory running low, paging file consumption running high.

I suggest both NT and DB performance counters be monitored because often
a problem exists at the OS level that the DBMS server can do nothing
about (and may know nothing about either), which is often a resource
problem that needs to be addressed externally.

Hot items for SQLAnywhere are cache size, temporary file space,
location of physical files (on which disk drives).  If you know you
have a couple of 'tough' queries or batch operations, measure what
happens during those.  Then also consider what happens under load
[try simulating at 130 or 100 connections] to see if you start running
out of steam [and to give you a feel for scalability on your existing
hardware]. Once you know that, then periodic checking of the
production system can then be done better informed about the
normal characteristics of your system.

None of that is meant to indicate that a 100% counter value is a bad thing.
Sometimes you want a CPU to run at a 100% or the disk channel to be
running at 100% capacity so that your calculation or result will actually
be able to complete.  What you do need to measure is trends (even harder
than disproving a positive) and see if you and your application have a
concern there.

As it is you are doing the right thing right now. To be able to identify
shifts
in trends, you need to become comfortable with what is normal with
your system and that way know if things 'shift' or 'stray' from that
norm.  Unfortunately, what is normal for your system is something
only you are in a position to measure.

Good luck with your project

"Emi Saba Blue" <bluelorelei@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> PLEASE HELP!!!
>
> We have a C++ application that uses Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0 as the back
end.
> We have enabled performance monitor so that we can analyze some of options
> available to us for SQL Anywhere 5.0.  There are many options like active
> requests, bytes receive etc.  What we are trying to gain from this
analysis
> is confirmation that the database server is sufficient and that we are not
> overloading/overworking the database server.  Can someone please advise me
> as to some useful measurements, as well as a normal/abnormal range for
those
> measurements?  We have 65 workstations all making inserts, updates and
> deletes on a fairly intensive basis.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>

> Emi Saba Blue

0
Nick

Performance monitor and performance counters
I'm trying to figure out why performance counters won't work on my machine. We've got 2 windows 2003 servers, and if I try to access ANY of the performance counter related objects in the System.Diagnostic namespace I get this: Insufficient memory to continue the execution of the program. at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.AllocHGlobal(IntPtr cb) at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceMonitor.GetData(String item) Of course the call stack is actually larger than that, but the point is right here. The same code works fine on any of our XP or 2000 Pro boxes. Anyone know wha...

Performance Monitor vs performance
Hello, does Sybase Central Performance Monitor affect performance? We've had a problem, the db server was reacting very slow denying almost all of the work of around 100 concurrent users, with throwing all of them out as more users came in. The only major change done was that the Sybase Performance monitor was left to be run overnight, with the following statistics: Packets Sent Packets Received Requests Threads Unscheduled Requests I understand that SC PM queries the server, but could this have a major impact on overall performance? Thanks, Pavel IMO the ...

Performance Monitor Snap-in
I am trying to monitor our ASP.NET web application, running on Windows Server 2003 & IIS 6. When I open the Performance Snap-In, I am unable to select the standard Performance objects I see in Windows 2000 server - namely ASP.NET, ASP.NET Applications, ASP.NET Apps v1.1.4322 and ASP.NET v1.1.4322 Can somebody tell me what's happening? Am I missing something? Thanks...

Establishing a performance baseline re performance Monitors
OK I'm new to this. But I am administering a newly created network of <100 systems using ASA 7.0.2 I would like to set up some monitors to know what the "typical load" during a week is. Which monitors are the most important? Should I use the monitors in the W2K instead? -- Posted via http://dbforums.com ...

Performance Monitoring
I need an off the shelf simply product that allows me to  do basic performance monitoring of my website and database.  I realize I can setup up performance counters but I would like a simple product that will do that for me.  I am especially interested in SQL Server / ADO.NET monitoring -- memory use, number of connections  open, etc.  Suggestions? Jay I am looking for the same thing, so I am going to attach myself to this thread. Thanks.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point an...

Performance monitoring
Hi, I need CPU performance monitoring. I tried PdhAddCounter.... but Power 2.1 professional can�t link it. any ideas ? best regards Joerg On Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:44:38 +0200, "Joerg Kuechen" <kuechen@gavitec.de> wrote: >Hi, > >I need CPU performance monitoring. I tried PdhAddCounter.... >but Power 2.1 professional can�t link it. > >any ideas ? > >best regards >Joerg Do you mean you want to profile your application? There is a /et switch for the compiler that is such that it uses Pentium cycle counts to measure how m...

Performance Monitor
What tools are availble with ASA 7 (WinNT) for performance monitoring. We have a system that is getting pegged to 100% CPU utilization, and we're guessing right now it's an adhoc query. Is there a way to see who is doing what on the system at any given time? ASA 8 has a feature which allows you to do this; in ASA 7 it's a bit more cumbersome. In ASA 8, you must first enable capturing of the last statement prepared by each connection by specifying the -zl server command line option or by calling: call sa_server_option('Remember_last_statement','ON&#...

General performance
Name: Rodolfo Wetzel Product: Gran Paradiso Summary: General performance Comments: It works fine, specially with zooming sites like chess.com that are difficult with IE (chess pieces are not properly shown). What I really miss, are some add on like cooliris' blue botton to search faster. So I still use the Firefox 2.1 with working compatibilities. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9b5) Gecko/2008032620 Firefox/3.0b5 From URL: http://hendrix.mozilla.org/ ...

performance monitoring
We have moved our database from a slower machine to a faster dual PIII-1Ghz machine and are trying to do some performance tuning. The application is being accessed via Citrix Metaframe XP 1.0 SP1. There are a few times per day when the application seems to really slow down. What we'd like to do is monitor the backend to see if it is a problem with one of our stored procedures or triggers or to see if there is a long running process which could be affecting this. We've already been able to take Citrix out of the mix as it is performaning as it should. Does anyone have any r...

SQLAnywhere performance
I have a SQLANywhere db running on a Netware v 3.12 server. The database performed well as a stand-alone db but when moved to the network performance is lousy. Where do I look for answers/solutions to this problem? thanks How lousy? What part is lousy? You can't expect multiple row retrieves to perform the same in both a network and standalone environment. ...

performance Monitor
Hi, Where do I find this product in Interbase XE. It's not in IBConsole anymore? /Mikael Mikael Nilsson wrote: > Hi, > > Where do I find this product in Interbase XE. > It's not in IBConsole anymore? > > /Mikael Right click a database in ibconsole. Performance Monitor should appear in the context menu. -- Bill Todd (TeamB) > {quote:title=Bill Todd wrote:}{quote} > Mikael Nilsson wrote: > > > Hi, > > > > Where do I find this product in Interbase XE. > > It's not in IBConsole anymore? > > ...

performance monitor
Hi, I can't find performance monitor in Interbase XE install. It,s not in IBConsole. Where can I find it? Mikael Nilsson wrote: > Hi, > > I can't find performance monitor in Interbase XE install. > It,s not in IBConsole. Where can I find it? Yes it is, right click on the database node you want to monitor and performance monitor will be one of the options in the menu. -- Jeff Overcash (TeamB) (Please do not email me directly unless asked. Thank You) And so I patrol in the valley of the shadow of the tricolor I must fear evil. For I am but mort...

Performance about SQLAnywhere
Currently I have a SQLAnywhere database of size over 250Mb. We have a program written in PB to retrieve data from it, but that program slowed down gradually after we increased the volume of data from 100Mb to its current size. Is this a limitation of SQLAnywhere, or just my machine? Is there any fine tuning possible? The configuration of my machine is Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 10G HD. If you have allocated sufficient cache to the database (should be at least 25mb, and 64mb would be good) then the remaining suspect would be a table scan somewhere. Have all database-related functio...

Performance Monitoring
Hi, Could anyone out there recommend any good books, websites etc. for performance tuning of SQL Anywhere 5.5.05, there doesn't seem to be that many books around on SQL Anywhere (unless I'm looking in the wrong place!!). We have a customer who is running SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 Base build no EBF's, on NT4. their database is approx. 9GB in size. We would like to know if anyone has any knowledge/experience which they would like to share in performance tuning on NT. Anything on storing replication or mirrored logs on separate drives or separate computers, getting the most out ...

Web resources about - Performance Monitor Again - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Andrew Bogut puts back issues behind him in return performance against Utah Jazz
Andrew Bogut's third double-double of the NBA season shows he is ready for the Christmas Day clash with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Ars Technica’s (virtual) Performance Car of the Year
... coming out of the very slow turns 11 and 12. Brakes could be better. 18 more images in gallery 2015 has been the year of the performance car ...

Cam Newton Comments on Panthers' Performance in Loss to Falcons - Bleacher Report
The 1972 Miami Dolphins can rest easy, but the rest of the NFL will have to deal with an even more determined Cam Newton after the Carolina Panthers ...

How Twitter used Doze in Android 6.0 Marshmallow to Improve Notification Performance
... Advocate In October, we published a blog post about how Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) works with Doze in Android 6.0 Marshmallow to bring performance ...

Peyton Manning denies performance-enhancing drugs allegation - Business Insider Deutschland
"The allegation that I would do something like that is complete garbage and is totally made up. It never happened. Never."

How to make your performance review meaningful
Make your performance review meaningful Image by Thinkstock There's a prevailing opinion that performance reviews aren't the best way to evaluate ...

Wingels evaluates personal performance vs Hawks, reflects on year
... 58° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Wingels evaluates personal performance ...

Deadline’s The Contenders: How The Music In ‘Youth’ Became Such A Vital Part Of Michael Caine’s Performance ...
At Deadline’s big awards season day long event last month , The Contenders Presented By Deadline, Youth composer David Lang explained his process ...

Peyton Manning HGH Allegations - Peyton Manning Accused of Using Performance-Enhancing Drugs to Recover ...
... from a severe neck injury. An explosive report by Al Jazeera alleges that an Indianapolis clinic sent human growth hormone and other performance-enhancing ...