Performance about SQLAnywhere

Currently I have a SQLAnywhere database of size over 250Mb. We have a
program written in PB to retrieve data from it, but that program slowed down
gradually after we increased the volume of data from 100Mb to its current
size. Is this a limitation of SQLAnywhere, or just my machine? Is there any
fine tuning possible?

The configuration of my machine is Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 10G HD.

0
Neil

If you have allocated sufficient cache to the database (should be at least 25mb, and 64mb would be
good) then the remaining suspect would be a table scan somewhere.  Have all database-related
functions slowed, or just some?  It could be that you need a well-placed index .

250mb by no means approaches a sql anywhere limit.

>Currently I have a SQLAnywhere database of size over 250Mb. We have a
>program written in PB to retrieve data from it, but that program slowed down
>gradually after we increased the volume of data from 100Mb to its current
>size. Is this a limitation of SQLAnywhere, or just my machine? Is there any
>fine tuning possible?

>The configuration of my machine is Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 10G HD.
Leo Tohill - Team Sybase
>> Please post in newsgroup, not via email <<
0
leotohill
12/29/1999 3:45:57 AM
What is your command line?
For a database of 250 meg, you should have a cache size of 25 - 40 meg.
ie: dbsrv50 -c 40m ...

Robert Waywell
Sybase
Please Respond to Newsgroups

Neil Tang wrote in message <9kZ2BfaU$GA.287@forums.sybase.com>...
>Currently I have a SQLAnywhere database of size over 250Mb. We have a
>program written in PB to retrieve data from it, but that program slowed
down
>gradually after we increased the volume of data from 100Mb to its current
>size. Is this a limitation of SQLAnywhere, or just my machine? Is there any
>fine tuning possible?
>
>The configuration of my machine is Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 10G HD.

0
Robert
12/29/1999 2:55:06 PM
Dont forget fragmentation both in the database and in the file system.

0
Rick
12/29/1999 5:34:34 PM
What is your page size.  For a database that size you should be using a
4K page size.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
eganjp
12/31/1999 12:21:07 AM
There are a zillion possible reasons for performance problems. Have a
look at SQL Anywhere Performance Tips & Techniques at
http://www.bcarter.com/tip077.htm

Breck
0
NOSPAM__bcarter

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

SQLAnywhere performance
I have a SQLANywhere db running on a Netware v 3.12 server. The database performed well as a stand-alone db but when moved to the network performance is lousy. Where do I look for answers/solutions to this problem? thanks How lousy? What part is lousy? You can't expect multiple row retrieves to perform the same in both a network and standalone environment. ...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11
Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11? Jorge, From: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html ======== Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an optional step because the version 11 software ...

SQLAnywhere-performance-problem
We are using a windows-software for dialysis units based on an SQLAnywhere 5.505 Server running under Novell 5.0 ( SP5). After the last software-update we have performance-problems using a few querys ( server-utilisation more than 90%, poor performance of the query-lasting 2-3 times longer etc. ). Now the software-house told us, that the performance of the Novell-version oft ASA 5.505 would be much lower ( using the same hardware ) than the windows-version and we should switch our server to W2K ( or switch to ASA 7.02 and use SMP under W2K additionally! ). We do not know what to...

SQLAnywhere performance problem
We have a complicated general performance problem in SQL Anywhere: The problem only occurs when retrieveing data to a datawindow in Powerbuilder (both 5.04 and 6.0) from a SQL Anywhere (5.5) database. Not with other databases and not when retrieveing the same data in another way (Embedded SQL with cursor). Large packets of what seems to be garbage data is sent from the client to the server in between small packets of real data from the server to the client. In fact more data is sent from the client than what is received (by a factor of four). We�re only reading data, no updates, ...

Sqlanywhere.general missing?
I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a couple of weeks now. Has something changed? The newsgroups have moved to a new server. You will need to reset your news. -- Joshua Savill , SYBASE iAnywhere Solutions - Technical Support "James L. Blackburn" <jamesb@round2consulting.com> wrote in message news:il739v4jhptn8f7knlko9h5bk2pcjm9l08@4ax.com... > I have not been able to get to the sqlanywhere.general news group in a > couple of weeks now. Has something changed? > > Same name, different IP address. It co...

SQLAnywhere performance over a WAN
Hello SQLAnywhere Pro's !!! I have a client that uses our application (PB60 App) against a 20MB SQLAnywhere (5.5.04) database (they are a new client - normally the database would be about 100 - 200 MB) running on Windows NT. Performance has been great. They just linked up to another office of theirs via a Fractional T1 line (384K pipe). There will be 8 additional users that will access the database remotely. There are 10 people accessing the database locally. The NT Server is a Pentium 400 with 256MB Ram. The WAN has been completed and they are starting to test our app (w...

sqlanywhere performance improvement
Hi, 1. Does anyone know how I can rebuild indexes in a sqlanywhere database. 2. can anyone tell me how to see how the optimizer searches for the best path, if he uses his indexes properly, ... 3. Is there a possibility to view all sql-statements that are executed on the database, with there execution time? Thanks in advance ! Xavier Xavier Keters wrote: > > Hi, > > 1. Does anyone know how I can rebuild indexes in a sqlanywhere database. IF EXISTS(SELECT name FROM sysindexes WHERE name='MyIndexName') DROP INDEX MyTableName.MyIndexName GO ...

SQLAnywhere performance problem
We have a complicated general performance problem in SQL Anywhere: The problem only occurs when retrieveing data to a datawindow in Powerbuilder (both 5.04 and 6.0) from a SQL Anywhere (5.5) database. Not with other databases and not when retrieveing the same data in another way (Embedded SQL with cursor). Large packets of what seems to be garbage data is sent from the client to the server in between small packets of real data from the server to the client. In fact more data is sent from the client than what is received (by a factor of four). We�re only reading data, no update...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

getting error after upgrading from sqlanywhere 7 to sqlanywhere 9
i'm using sybase sql server any where 7 and by using dbsrv7.exe i'm able to create db. it's working fine. no issues. now i'm upgrading to sybase sql server any where 9 and by using dbsrv9.exe i created db. this time when i'm using sysindexes table of sybase i'm getting error as Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous exception com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException because ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous at com.sybase.jdbc2...

SQLAnywhere Mulit-User Performance ?
Can anybody report on their experience deploying SQLAnywhere for medium (~20 users) to large (~100 users) workgroups. I'm just trying to get a ballpark understanding if SQLAnywhere is up for this job or if I'm kidding myself and switch to another db right away. Any public case studies, reports, benchmarks, etc... possibly by the trade press, etc. ? Thanks, Klaus Klaus, Concurrent users is less of a factor than the nature of the transactions you'll be implementing. We selected SQLAnywhere as the DBMS for our commercial software suite, and it was a great choice. ...

Update Fails to SQLAnywhere, but PB/ODBC/SQLAnywhere returns Success...
I recently dropped a reply in the SQLAnywhere Newsgroup regarding the question of "Death by Curly Brackets" and am not even sure the problem we're experiencing is related, BUT basically, if we have a variable in an SQLA table of type "char" and then declare an internal host variable in Powerbuilder 6.0, and execute an Insert or an Update against the table, PB and/or SQLA both return success, but the table DOES NOT get updated... here's futher details... Check out the ODBC dump below, is this a bug in PB, ODBC, SQLAnywhere or ALL of the above ANY HELP IS ...

Web resources about - Performance about SQLAnywhere - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Andrew Bogut puts back issues behind him in return performance against Utah Jazz
Andrew Bogut's third double-double of the NBA season shows he is ready for the Christmas Day clash with the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Ars Technica’s (virtual) Performance Car of the Year
... coming out of the very slow turns 11 and 12. Brakes could be better. 18 more images in gallery 2015 has been the year of the performance car ...

Cam Newton Comments on Panthers' Performance in Loss to Falcons - Bleacher Report
The 1972 Miami Dolphins can rest easy, but the rest of the NFL will have to deal with an even more determined Cam Newton after the Carolina Panthers ...

How Twitter used Doze in Android 6.0 Marshmallow to Improve Notification Performance
... Advocate In October, we published a blog post about how Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) works with Doze in Android 6.0 Marshmallow to bring performance ...

Peyton Manning denies performance-enhancing drugs allegation - Business Insider Deutschland
"The allegation that I would do something like that is complete garbage and is totally made up. It never happened. Never."

How to make your performance review meaningful
Make your performance review meaningful Image by Thinkstock There's a prevailing opinion that performance reviews aren't the best way to evaluate ...

Wingels evaluates personal performance vs Hawks, reflects on year
... 58° Navigation Home Giants A's Sharks Warriors Kings 49ers Raiders Quakes Insiders More Tickets Shop Watch Wingels evaluates personal performance ...

Deadline’s The Contenders: How The Music In ‘Youth’ Became Such A Vital Part Of Michael Caine’s Performance ...
At Deadline’s big awards season day long event last month , The Contenders Presented By Deadline, Youth composer David Lang explained his process ...

Peyton Manning HGH Allegations - Peyton Manning Accused of Using Performance-Enhancing Drugs to Recover ...
... from a severe neck injury. An explosive report by Al Jazeera alleges that an Indianapolis clinic sent human growth hormone and other performance-enhancing ...