ODBC - need help with DSN-LESS connection

Hello everyone:

I deployed SQL Anywhere 9 and have set up DSN's to access the db properly.

I have a need to restrict access to the database to "read-only" if accessing
outside the main application.
I am concerned about savvy users being able to link to the DB tables via MS
access provided they know the DSN name.

What I want to be able to do is:
1)  keep the current DSN configuration but give the current user on the DSN
"Read-Only" access
2)  From within the authorized application, switch the links on all the
tables to log in as another user and password (one with ALL permissions).

So far I've found how to refresh the links for each table (see code below),
but the refresh doesn't seem to register the NEW userID and password,
because I tested it for one table (which I'm expecting that I should have
ALL access to that one table), and that one table still has the read only
access:

PseudoCODE below:

For Each table in db.TableDefs
    db.tabledefs(i).connect = _
                "ODBC;DSN=<DSN name with orig ID and PW on it>;uid=<new user
ID>;pwd=<password>;TABLE=<OWNER>.<tblName>"
    db.tabledefs(i).RefreshLink
Next

I've also tried to remove the "DSN=" clause, but when I do that I am
prompted by a dialog box to specify the DSN
I've also tried a different connection string to see if that worked as well:
 --> "ODBC;eng=<server name>;dbn=<database Name>;uid=<new user
ID>;pwd=<password>;dsn=<DSN name with orig ID and PW>"

As always I am very grateful for all your valuable help during these past 2
weeks, thank you in advance for your help with this important matter.

Sincerely,
Paul Grossman
PAULGRO Consulting LLC

0
Paul

Hi Paul,

This may not suit your needs, but here's a different approach:

If your users read-access isn't otherwise restricted, I'd setup the DSN with
a common read-only access user (like a guest account).

In your app you can re-connect to the 'real' user with write-access
and password.  Should you worry about users trying to login with their own
uid/pwd outside the app, you can always modify their password in your app.

regards/Peter Simonsen

"Paul" <paul.grossman@paulgro.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone:
>
> I deployed SQL Anywhere 9 and have set up DSN's to access the db properly.
>
> I have a need to restrict access to the database to "read-only" if
accessing
> outside the main application.
> I am concerned about savvy users being able to link to the DB tables via
MS
> access provided they know the DSN name.
>
> What I want to be able to do is:
> 1)  keep the current DSN configuration but give the current user on the
DSN
> "Read-Only" access
> 2)  From within the authorized application, switch the links on all the
> tables to log in as another user and password (one with ALL permissions).
>
> So far I've found how to refresh the links for each table (see code
below),
> but the refresh doesn't seem to register the NEW userID and password,
> because I tested it for one table (which I'm expecting that I should have
> ALL access to that one table), and that one table still has the read only
> access:
>
> PseudoCODE below:
>
> For Each table in db.TableDefs
>     db.tabledefs(i).connect = _
>                 "ODBC;DSN=<DSN name with orig ID and PW on it>;uid=<new
user
> ID>;pwd=<password>;TABLE=<OWNER>.<tblName>"
>     db.tabledefs(i).RefreshLink
> Next
>
> I've also tried to remove the "DSN=" clause, but when I do that I am
> prompted by a dialog box to specify the DSN
> I've also tried a different connection string to see if that worked as
well:
>  --> "ODBC;eng=<server name>;dbn=<database Name>;uid=<new user
> ID>;pwd=<password>;dsn=<DSN name with orig ID and PW>"
>
> As always I am very grateful for all your valuable help during these past
2
> weeks, thank you in advance for your help with this important matter.
>
> Sincerely,
> Paul Grossman
> PAULGRO Consulting LLC

0
Peter
7/5/2005 7:40:32 AM
Here's a WAG... try leaving the password out of the DSN, or (better
yet) put an invalid but real-looking password in the DSN (just to
drive the hackers nuts :)

Then, if you can successfully connect from the application (never a
safe assumption, not in *my* world :), you will know you did it with
the password you specified in the application.

But you asked about DSN-less connections; here is a PowerBuilder
sample:

SQLCA.DBMS = 'ODB'
SQLCA.DBParm &
	= "ConnectString='Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0;" &
	+ "UID=DBA;PWD=SQL;" &
	+ "START=C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere
8\win32\dbeng8.exe;" &
	+ "DBF=" &
	+ aaa &
	+ "'"
CONNECT USING SQLCA;

I think you can substitute ENG= and DBN= for the START and DBF, if the
database is already running.

Breck

--
SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
Buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20

That's what I'm looking to do.  However I tried to have the app log on as a
more powerful user and I get th -7778 error.

<Peter Simonsen> wrote in message news:42ca3970@forums-1-dub...
> Hi Paul,
>
> This may not suit your needs, but here's a different approach:
>
> If your users read-access isn't otherwise restricted, I'd setup the DSN
> with
> a common read-only access user (like a guest account).
>
> In your app you can re-connect to the 'real' user with write-access
> and password.  Should you worry about users trying to login with their own
> uid/pwd outside the app, you can always modify their password in your app.
>
> regards/Peter Simonsen
>
> "Paul" <paul.grossman@paulgro.com> wrote in message
>> Hello everyone:
>>
>> I deployed SQL Anywhere 9 and have set up DSN's to access the db
>> properly.
>>
>> I have a need to restrict access to the database to "read-only" if
> accessing
>> outside the main application.
>> I am concerned about savvy users being able to link to the DB tables via
> MS
>> access provided they know the DSN name.
>>
>> What I want to be able to do is:
>> 1)  keep the current DSN configuration but give the current user on the
> DSN
>> "Read-Only" access
>> 2)  From within the authorized application, switch the links on all the
>> tables to log in as another user and password (one with ALL permissions).
>>
>> So far I've found how to refresh the links for each table (see code
> below),
>> but the refresh doesn't seem to register the NEW userID and password,
>> because I tested it for one table (which I'm expecting that I should have
>> ALL access to that one table), and that one table still has the read only
>> access:
>>
>> PseudoCODE below:
>>
>> For Each table in db.TableDefs
>>     db.tabledefs(i).connect = _
>>                 "ODBC;DSN=<DSN name with orig ID and PW on it>;uid=<new
> user
>> ID>;pwd=<password>;TABLE=<OWNER>.<tblName>"
>>     db.tabledefs(i).RefreshLink
>> Next
>>
>> I've also tried to remove the "DSN=" clause, but when I do that I am
>> prompted by a dialog box to specify the DSN
>> I've also tried a different connection string to see if that worked as
> well:
>>  --> "ODBC;eng=<server name>;dbn=<database Name>;uid=<new user
>> ID>;pwd=<password>;dsn=<DSN name with orig ID and PW>"
>>
>> As always I am very grateful for all your valuable help during these past
> 2
>> weeks, thank you in advance for your help with this important matter.
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Paul Grossman
>> PAULGRO Consulting LLC

0
Paul
7/5/2005 2:12:47 PM
Hi Breck,

Thank you very much for the info.

I tried doing what you suggested last night and got a -7778 error
(unidentified error).
Here's the connection string I used at first:
When I used this, I got a dialog box asking for the DSN name, otherwise it
wouldn't let me thru.

How can I invoke the procedure you show below without getting prompted to
provide the DSN name?

Thank you again for your help,
Paul.

"Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com> wrote in
message news:uetkc190cp639bvsskitanq3unu4h0n7eq@4ax.com...
> [...]
>>prompted by a dialog box to specify the DSN
>>I've also tried a different connection string to see if that worked as
>>well:
>> --> "ODBC;eng=<server name>;dbn=<database Name>;uid=<new user
>>ID>;pwd=<password>;dsn=<DSN name with orig ID and PW>"
>>
>>As always I am very grateful for all your valuable help during these past
>>2
>>weeks, thank you in advance for your help with this important matter.
>>
>>Sincerely,
>>Paul Grossman
>>PAULGRO Consulting LLC
>>

> --
> SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
> Buy the book:
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
> bcarter@risingroad.com
> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services

0
Paul
7/5/2005 2:16:18 PM
Add this

   Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0;

or 9.0.

Breck

--
SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
Buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
bcarter@risingroad.com
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
www.risingroad.com
0
Breck
7/5/2005 10:34:20 PM
Hi Paul,

I have no problems doing this on the ASA9 demo database.
I created a user with only select access and set this user in the dsn.

In the app, if I connect like this:
    SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='DSN=ASA 9.0 Sample;UID=dba;PWD=sql'"
then I connect as dba with full access.

On the other hand if I connect like this:
    SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='DSN=ASA 9.0 Sample'"
then I connect with the user specified in the dsn, i.e. with select access
only.

BTW I'm using 9.0.2, but I don't see how this shouldn't work in previous
versions.

> [...]
only
> >> access:
> >>
> >> PseudoCODE below:
> >>
> >> For Each table in db.TableDefs
> >>     db.tabledefs(i).connect = _
> >>                 "ODBC;DSN=<DSN name with orig ID and PW on it>;uid=<new
> > user
> >>     db.tabledefs(i).RefreshLink
> >> Next
> >>
> >> I've also tried to remove the "DSN=" clause, but when I do that I am
> >> prompted by a dialog box to specify the DSN
> >> I've also tried a different connection string to see if that worked as
> > well:
> >>  --> "ODBC;eng=<server name>;dbn=<database Name>;uid=<new user
> >>
> >> As always I am very grateful for all your valuable help during these
past
> > 2
> >> weeks, thank you in advance for your help with this important matter.

0
Peter
7/6/2005 7:21:34 AM
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the info (again).  I really appreciate your help.

I used the DSN and just overrode the UID and PWD and that worked.  I read in
a white paper that Access has to have a DSN (it didn't say that you couldn't
do DSN-Less connections, but after three 12+ hour days of researching I came
up with nothing that shows or says Access can do a DSN-less connection.

Anyhow, the method I used above works so that's what I'm going to go with.
Now I have to figure out how to set the Connection name to be the computer
name (so far I'm trying to use the CON parm of the connection string but so
far that's not working - the search continues...)

Thanks so much again,
Paul.

<Peter Simonsen> wrote in message news:42cb8679$1@forums-2-dub...
> Hi Paul,
>
> I have no problems doing this on the ASA9 demo database.
> I created a user with only select access and set this user in the dsn.
>
> In the app, if I connect like this:
>    SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='DSN=ASA 9.0 Sample;UID=dba;PWD=sql'"
> then I connect as dba with full access.
>
> On the other hand if I connect like this:
>    SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='DSN=ASA 9.0 Sample'"
> then I connect with the user specified in the dsn, i.e. with select access
> only.
>
> BTW I'm using 9.0.2, but I don't see how this shouldn't work in previous
> versions.
>
> regards/Peter Simonsen
>

> "Paul" <paul.grossman@paulgro.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Peter,
>>
>> That's what I'm looking to do.  However I tried to have the app log on as
>> more powerful user and I get th -7778 error.
>>

>> <Peter Simonsen> wrote in message news:42ca3970@forums-1-dub...
>> > Hi Paul,
>> >
>> > This may not suit your needs, but here's a different approach:
>> >
>> > If your users read-access isn't otherwise restricted, I'd setup the DSN
>> > with
>> > a common read-only access user (like a guest account).
>> >
>> > In your app you can re-connect to the 'real' user with write-access
>> > and password.  Should you worry about users trying to login with their
> own
>> > uid/pwd outside the app, you can always modify their password in your
> app.
>> >
>> > regards/Peter Simonsen
>> >
>> > "Paul" <paul.grossman@paulgro.com> wrote in message

>> > accessing
> via
>> > MS

>> > DSN
> permissions).

>> > below),
> have
> only

>> > user

>> > well:

> past
>> > 2

0
Paul
7/7/2005 1:32:46 AM
None of your sample connection strings include "DRIVER=" which is a core
requirement for a DSNless connection.

> [...]
>>>
>>>I've also tried to remove the "DSN=" clause, but when I do that I am
>>>prompted by a dialog box to specify the DSN
>>>I've also tried a different connection string to see if that worked as
>>>well:
>>> --> "ODBC;eng=<server name>;dbn=<database Name>;uid=<new user
>>>
>>>As always I am very grateful for all your valuable help during these past
>>>2
>>>weeks, thank you in advance for your help with this important matter.
>>>
>>>Sincerely,
>>>Paul Grossman
>>>PAULGRO Consulting LLC
>>>

>> --
>> SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
>> Buy the book:
>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
>> bcarter@risingroad.com
>> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services

0
Chris
7/7/2005 12:35:55 PM
I originally had a string that included DRIVER=Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0

That also didn't work.

What I did was keep the DSN in the connection string, and just overrode the
UID and PWD parameters.  From what I found from this experience it seems as
though I can not connect / link tables from code without including the DSN.

Keeping the DSN and overriding the UID and PWD parms is what I found that
worked.

Thanks again for all your help

"Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)" <Spam_NoThanks_keating@iAnywhere.com>
wrote in message news:42cd21a6$1@forums-2-dub...
> None of your sample connection strings include "DRIVER=" which is a core
> requirement for a DSNless connection.
>

> "Paul" <paul.grossman@paulgro.com> wrote in message
>> Hi Breck,
>>
>> Thank you very much for the info.
>>
>> I tried doing what you suggested last night and got a -7778 error
>> (unidentified error).
>> Here's the connection string I used at first:
>> When I used this, I got a dialog box asking for the DSN name, otherwise
>> it wouldn't let me thru.
>>
>> How can I invoke the procedure you show below without getting prompted to
>> provide the DSN name?
>>
>> Thank you again for your help,
>> Paul.
>>

>> "Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com> wrote in
>> message news:uetkc190cp639bvsskitanq3unu4h0n7eq@4ax.com...
>>> Here's a WAG... try leaving the password out of the DSN, or (better
>>> yet) put an invalid but real-looking password in the DSN (just to
>>> drive the hackers nuts :)
>>>
>>> Then, if you can successfully connect from the application (never a
>>> safe assumption, not in *my* world :), you will know you did it with
>>> the password you specified in the application.
>>>
>>> But you asked about DSN-less connections; here is a PowerBuilder
>>> sample:
>>>
>>> SQLCA.DBMS = 'ODB'
>>> SQLCA.DBParm &
>>> = "ConnectString='Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 8.0;" &
>>> + "UID=DBA;PWD=SQL;" &
>>> + "START=C:\Program Files\Sybase\SQL Anywhere
>>> 8\win32\dbeng8.exe;" &
>>> + "DBF=" &
>>> + aaa &
>>> + "'"
>>> CONNECT USING SQLCA;
>>>
>>> I think you can substitute ENG= and DBN= for the START and DBF, if the
>>> database is already running.
>>>
>>> Breck

>>> --
>>> SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
>>> Buy the book:
>>> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
>>> bcarter@risingroad.com
>>> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
>>> www.risingroad.com

0
Paul
7/9/2005 5:31:23 PM
There is no need for a DSN. We use ASA all the time and never create a DSN.

If local / standalone try adding:

-x NONE

If connecting to server try adding:

CommLinks=ALL

combined with
EngineName=whatever
DatabaseName=whatever

(There are more efficient ways of choosing the correct communications protocol,
but that should work for all types.)

--
Steve

> I originally had a string that included DRIVER=Adaptive Server
> Anywhere 9.0
>
> That also didn't work.
>
> What I did was keep the DSN in the connection string, and just
> overrode the UID and PWD parameters.  From what I found from this
> experience it seems as though I can not connect / link tables from
> code without including the DSN.
>
> Keeping the DSN and overriding the UID and PWD parms is what I found
> that worked.
>
> Thanks again for all your help
>
> "Chris Keating (iAnywhere Solutions)"
> <Spam_NoThanks_keating@iAnywhere.com> wrote in message
>
>> None of your sample connection strings include "DRIVER=" which is a
>> core requirement for a DSNless connection.
>>
>> "Paul" <paul.grossman@paulgro.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Hi Breck,
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for the info.
>>>
>>> I tried doing what you suggested last night and got a -7778 error
>>> (unidentified error).
>>> Here's the connection string I used at first:
>>> When I used this, I got a dialog box asking for the DSN name,
>>> otherwise
>>> it wouldn't let me thru.
>>> How can I invoke the procedure you show below without getting
>>> prompted to provide the DSN name?
>>>
>>> Thank you again for your help,
>>> Paul.
>>> "Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com> wrote
>>> in message news:uetkc190cp639bvsskitanq3unu4h0n7eq@4ax.com...

0
Steve

ODBC DSN less connection issues using ASE ODBC Driver
Hi, I am facing a problem while making dsn less connection to sybase Here is the thing, I shall try to make it simple: this piece of connection string works fine in production with sybase 11 open client installed Driver={SYBASE SYSTEM 11};Srvr=SYBPRD_DEV;Uid=SYBPRDCOM;Pwd=welcomedb1; However, I am trying to setup a Dev environment with Sybase open client 12.5 ..this piece fails with the following error msgs, Connection string: err msg: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (i tried changing it to {SYBASE ASE ODBC Drive...

DSN Less ODBC Connection
Why is this Code not working? If ra_trusted = true Then lst_connectionstring ="ConnectionString='Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" + ra_server +";DATABASE=MASTER;Trusted_Connection=True'" Else lst_connectionstring ="ConnectionString='Driver={SQL Server};SERVER=" + ra_server + ";DATABASE=MASTER;UID=" + ra_user + ";Pwd=" + ra_pwd + "'" End if TRY //Set Connection Options SQLCA.DBMS = "ODBC" SQLCA.AutoCommit = False SQLCA.DBParm = lst_connectionstring // And no...

ODBC dsn-less Connection string problem
Hello all, I have a webservice built with .NET 2003, that is running at a remote client site, that is running SQL Anywhere Studio 7.0.3. For some reason the WebService is unable to connect to their database. I tested on my dev box with SQL Anywhere Studio 8.0 with no problems, however; at the client site is returns the error: ERROR [08001] [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running Error [01S00] [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] Invalid connection string attribute Error [01S00] [Sybase] [ODBC Driver] In...

DSN-Less Connection String for Informix ODBC driver
------_=_NextPart_001_01C1C55C.047A470E Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Since I hadn't heard back from anyone, I did some more research and playing around and got the right combination and here are results: For DSN-Less connection string that can be used with Informix Client-SDK 2.5 ODBC driver to connect using Perl (5.005_3) on Win32, DBI, DBD::ODBC (0.28) 1. Once the Informix Client-SDK has been installed, there is a Informix Client-SDK utility called SetNet32 that has be run to set up the proper Informix vars, such as host, server, service, etc. ...

HELP! Connecting to SQLAnywhere using JavaScript and MS IIE with ODBC
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------0E8554B56E65A6100D16B308 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I try to access a SQLAnywhere database from a JavaScript File in MS Iinternet Information Server. I use Microsofts ADO to access the database. ADO uses an ODBC datasource to connect to the DB Server. It works fine with MS SQL Server but it does not with SQLAnywhere. Here my JavaScript Code (which is emedded in a asp file) var XBBSConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection"); XBBSConn.CommandTimeout=4000; ...

DSN-less, register-less connection?
I have the DSN-less connection ok with the following: SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0;" + & "UID=dba;PWD=sql;DBF=c:\mydir\mydb.db;" + & "Start=c:\mydir\rteng7.exe -c 8m'" But as far as I know the 'Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0;' requires a register setting, or does it? Can I get around this somehow so I don't need any register settings for a connection? "Doogie" <doogie@anywhere.com> wrote in message news:OWG942%23NDHA.364@forums-2-dub... > I have the DSN-...

HELP: Microsoft Query "General odbc error" connecting to ASE 15.0.3
Greetings, I'm trying to connect MSQRY32 - 12.0.6532 SP2 MSO to ASE15.0.3ESD#1 (8K pages) using ODBC on XP SP3, using ASE 15.00.00.325 2008/08/14 ODBC driver The System ODBC connection was created with defaults. Checking ASE, I can see successful login connection select @@pagesize sp_odbc_server_info select db_name() sp_odbc_tables The I get an error on MSQRY32 - "General odbc error" Any idea how to fix this? Thanks in Advance. Alberto > Greetings, > > I'm trying to connect > MSQRY32 - 12.0.6532 SP2 MSO to > A...

PowerDynamo and Open Client connections vs ODBC connections
Lance, Carson and Larry - Based upon a previous thread I posted regarding ASA and ASE environments for our website DB and the issues we were having, I took your advice and did the following: 1. Generated our website DB in an ASE 11.9.2 environment instead of ASA 6.0.2 2. Established an Open Client connection profile to the web DB instead of using ODBC. 3. Created an Open Client connection from the website to the ASE 11.9.2 primary database. Here's is what is happening now!:( - Please see the attachment! Summary: PD pages executing stored procedures under an Open Cl...

How to connect DBClient using a DSN-less connection in a VB5 App
I have a VB5 app connecting to SLQ Anywhere without a data source name - no problem. I am changing the app to a multi-user environment using SLQ Anywhere Server & SQL Anywhere Client. I can connect with a DSN - no problem; the ODBC dialog screen comes up. I don't want to setup a DSN on all the machines in the office if I don't have to. We are running Novell (I think 3.1, maybe 4.0) Here is the code for the standalone version DSN-less- works fine. RDOConnect = "UID=rico;PWD=rico;DBF=" + DBPath + "\ricoapp.DB;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DSN=&#...

DSN less connection?
Has anyone ever created a connection to an ODBC datasource without creating an ODBC DSN? Is it possible? Yes! Kudoes to my friend Jim Egan for reminding me of this a few weeks ago. Here's an example: >SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere >6.0;UID=dba;PWD=sql;DBF=d:\sybase\Adaptive Server Anywhere >6.0\asademo.db;Start=d:\sybase\Adaptive Server Anywhere >6.0\win32\dbeng6.exe -c 8m'" In article <p2zaQx$D$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>, nospam_d.stockmann@smmj.com says... > Has anyone ever created a connectio...

dsn less connect
Will a deployed pk 2.5.1 app connect to sqlanywhere 10 using a dsn- less connection like Powerbuilder will? Yes. You may need to use DRIVER=<full_path_odbc_driver_dll> as there is no context of a registered driver name. -- Chris Keating **************************************** Please only post to the newsgroup SQL Anywhere Developer Community http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner SQL Anywhere Blog Center http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs Maintenance releases and EBFs http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm Use Case Express to report b...

DSN Less Connection
Hi, How do I create a DSN Less connection to Sybase from VB Client? I tried the following: With ODBC: strConn = "Driver={Sybase ASE ODBC Driver};" & _ "Srvr=" & txtServerName.Text & ";" & _ "Uid=" & txtUserID.Text & ";" & _ "Pwd=" & txtPassword.Text & ";" I get following error: [DataDirect][ODBC Sybase Wire Protocol driver]Insufficient information to connect to the data source. With OLE DB Provider: strConn = "Provi...

DSN-less connection
Our Billing application uses a DSN-less connection to the SQLAnywhere 10 database. Here is the connection info used: DatabaseSource=DRIVER=SQL Anywhere10.0; Compress=NO;CommLinks=SharedMemory,TCPIP{host=solus};Integrated=YES;AutoStop=YES;EngineName=solus;DatabaseName=billing2 I've tried using this connection info in the .ini generated from Infomaker for my report, but no luck. I first get the login window. I try entering a userid and password, then I get the error: "Database Conneciton Failed. Application cannot be run" Error: 999 DBMS is not supported in yo...

DSN-less connection
Can someone post an example of how to do a DSN-less connection to SQL Anywhere 5.5.03 from Powerbuilder? (The database is running on a server and the user connect using dbclient.) Alternately, maybe someone could explain why the database won't use the UID and PWD I provide in the 'ConnectString' when I connect using a DSN. If I store the userid and password in the DSN it works fine, but I want to get away from that because it is machine dependent. I want to connect to the database using the userid of the person who signed in. If I take the userid and password out of ...

DSN-less connection
Can anyone supply me with the proper syntax for a connect string for SQLAnywhere version 5.5? I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks John der Kinderen sConnectString="Provider=MSDASQL;Driver=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DataBaseFile=c:\MyDir\MyDb.db;UID=dba;PWD=sql" works for me ! <johndk> wrote in message news:C4C1941FE452A39600567CB085256C67.00567CCB85256C67@webforums... > Can anyone supply me with the proper syntax for a connect string for > SQLAnywhere version 5.5? I'd be greatly appreciative. > > Thanks > John der Kinderen Thank...

Web resources about - ODBC - need help with DSN-LESS connection - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Police tear open roof to arrest man in connection with stabbing murder
Police have torn open the roof of a Gold Coast home to arrest a man in connection with the stabbing death of 16-year-old Michael Brack.

Paris attacks: Belgium connection probed as terrorist past of Brussels district of Molenbeek under spotlight ...
Prosecutors reveal a growing Belgian connection to the deadly Paris attacks, focusing on a poor Brussels district.

Cross-cultural Connections and Exchange: international study is more important than ever
... And, as a minority of ill-intentioned individuals and groups do their best to create divides, we need citizens equipped to create connections ...

Brussels Connection Under Spotlight After Paris Killings
(EurActiv) — Prosecutors on Sunday disclosed a growing Belgian connection to the Paris attacks as Premier Charles Michel conceded that a Brussels ...