ODBC-less Connection from VB 5.0

I have a large VB 5 app running SQLAnywhere 5.5.0.4 on Novell 4.1.
We currently connect through a Data Source Name.
I would love to not have to configure ODBC at the work station (50 +
Servers, 500 workstations in a spread out network).

I tried this connect string to no avail.

    sCnct = "driver={Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0};server=" & sDBName &
";database=" & sDBName & ";UID=" & sUser & ";PWD=" & sPass & ";dsn='';"
    Set m_En = rdoEnvironments(0)
    Set m_cn = m_En.OpenConnection(dsName :="",Prompt:=rdDriverNoPrompt,
ReadOnly:=False, Connect:=sCnct, dsName:="")

We currently support many different servers and databases in the network
and need to connect to different sites from anywhere.

We use the following with a shell DSN (No Server,or db specified in the ODBC
config), and it works fine.

    sCnct = "DSN=" & sDsn & ";UID=" & sUser & ";PWD=" & sPass & ";DATABASE="
& sDBName & ";"

    Set m_En = rdoEnvironments(0)
    Set m_cn = m_En.OpenConnection(sDsn, rdDriverNoPrompt, False, sCnct)

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott Yarborough
Software Development Group
(909) 598-9667
sdgscott@gte.net

0
Scott

The following string works for me connecting to the demo database from
Powerbuilder without using a DSN.

DBF=d:\sqlany50\sademo;uid=dba;pwd=sql;start=d:\sqlany50\win32\dbeng50.exe;d
river=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dealer Solutions, Inc.

Scott Yarborough <sdgscott@gte.net> wrote in article
<us8ZGjYs9GA.245@forums.powersoft.com>...
> I have a large VB 5 app running SQLAnywhere 5.5.0.4 on Novell 4.1.
> We currently connect through a Data Source Name.
> I would love to not have to configure ODBC at the work station (50 +
> Servers, 500 workstations in a spread out network).
>
> I tried this connect string to no avail.
>
>     sCnct = "driver={Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0};server=" & sDBName &
> ";database=" & sDBName & ";UID=" & sUser & ";PWD=" & sPass & ";dsn='';"
>     Set m_En = rdoEnvironments(0)
>     Set m_cn = m_En.OpenConnection(dsName :="",Prompt:=rdDriverNoPrompt,
> ReadOnly:=False, Connect:=sCnct, dsName:="")
>
> We currently support many different servers and databases in the network
> and need to connect to different sites from anywhere.
>
> We use the following with a shell DSN (No Server,or db specified in the
ODBC
> config), and it works fine.
>
>     sCnct = "DSN=" & sDsn & ";UID=" & sUser & ";PWD=" & sPass &
";DATABASE="
> & sDBName & ";"
>
>     Set m_En = rdoEnvironments(0)
>     Set m_cn = m_En.OpenConnection(sDsn, rdDriverNoPrompt, False, sCnct)
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Scott Yarborough
> Software Development Group
> (909) 598-9667
> sdgscott@gte.net

0
Jim

Trouble sharing a dbclient ODBC connection between two processes on web server SQLAnywhere 5.5.0.5
Hello, I am trying to tie a whole bunch of legacy components together with a new reporting engine and I've come across an interesting problem. I have a W2k Web server that is connecting to an NT4.0 SQLAnywhere 5.5.0.5 database server via an ODBC dbclient connection. The web server is running classic ASP pages for the bulk of the web site, with a single ASP.net section for viewing reports. Everything works great and I can connect to the database as long as I have only one of the connections active - either the ASP or ASP.net site. As soon as I try to connect both at ...

DSN-less connection to SQL Anywhere 5.0 from VB 6.0
I am trying to connect to SQL Anywhere database using ADO in VB 6.0, but without using a specific DSN. I have gotten it to work using a DSN, but am trying to provide everything the connection will need without using the DSN, as not all the computers this will run on will have the DSN. Currently running this code to make connection to SQL Anywhere database using DSN: Public adocnn As New ADODB.Connection Sub Main() Dim adoRecordset As ADODB.Recordset Dim strCnn As String Dim adoCmd As ADODB.Command Set adoCmd = CreateObject("adodb.command") Set...

SQLAnywhere 5.0 with VB 6 ADO via ODBC
How do I properly connect a VB6 application to a SQLAnywhere db via ODBC? I'm trying to connect my own program to our companies database to get some data out. The ODBC connection called KSRTEST works fine as our standard software already uses it. However, if I run my program I get the following error message: Error -2147217843(80040e4d) [Sybase][ODBC Driver]Watcom SQL rejected connection: invalid parameter Here is the code: -------------------------------------------------------- Dim KSRDaten As Adodc Private WithEvents adoCn As ADODB.Connection Private WithEvents adoRs ...

No Connect with FF 2.0.0.5 and TB 2.0.0.5
Name: Matze Email: infoatpc-scenedotnet Product: Firefox Summary: No Connect with FF 2.0.0.5 and TB 2.0.0.5 Comments: Hello, I have problems with Firefox 2.0.0.5 and Thunderbird. As soon as this version is not installed comes I any longer into Internet. No connection is indicated with both. 2.0.0.4 runs without problems up to the update on 0.5 Does someone know somewhat about an error?? MfG Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; de; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3 ...

SQLAnywhere 5.5 Multi-ODBC Connection Problem
Hi, I have been having a problem establishing two ODBC connections with an SQL Anywhere database. I have one connection being made to the datbase from ClearQuest. I also have a custom written ASP script that connects to this same database. If I am logged in through ClearQuest Web Service and try to run my ASP script, I get an "Unable to connect to database server. Specified database not found" error from my ASP script. However, if I am not logged in on the ClearQeust Web Service, and I run my ASP script, it runs fine. Then if I try to log into the Clear Quest Web Ser...

SQLWindows 5.03/SQLAnywhere 5.0 via ODBC
We are using SQLWindows 5.03 with SQLAnywhere via ODBC. Has anyone used Stored procedures with SQLWindows ? We have had problems returning result sets to SQLWindows. OdrPrepareProc function doesn't get the result set returned by SQLAnywhere. This works with MS SQLServer. Inserting, updating and deleting works fine with SQLAnywhere. Thanks in advance, kyosti.ylijoki@sunit.fi "ME" <postmaster@sunit.fi> wrote: >We are using SQLWindows 5.03 with SQLAnywhere via ODBC. >Has anyone used Stored procedures with SQLWindows ? We have had problems >retur...

ODBC connection thru VC++ with SQLAnywhere 5.5 problem
retcode = SQLDriverConnect( hdbc, EView->hwnd(), szConnStrIn5, strlen((char*)szConnStrIn5), szConnStrOut, cbConnStrOutMax, &pcbConnStrOut, SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE_REQUIRED); where : szConnStrIn5 = "DRIVER={Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0};DatabaseFile=c:\database\test.db;UID=perform;PWD=perform;agent=engine;" I already have a connection made to a server database and I am opening up this connection in addition. The problem I am getting is that I get prompted for the User ID and Password through the standard Sybase connection dialog. The UID and PWD are alrea...

RE: :ODBC 0.43 tests failed under cygwin perl 5.8.0 DBI 1.30 on N T4 SP 6a MERANT 5 32 bit ODBC driver 0.52.00.00
------_=_NextPart_001_01C290A3.ED9243D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" OK, thanks, 0.45xx didn't seem to be any better, so I decided to post the errors to the group. Mark. [Mark Buckle] -----Original Message----- From: Jeff Urlwin [mailto:jurlwin@bellatlantic.net] Sent: 19 November 2002 15:34 To: Mark Buckle; dbi-users@perl.org Cc: jurlwin@bellatlantic.net Subject: RE: :ODBC 0.43 tests failed under cygwin perl 5.8.0 DBI 1.30 on NT4 SP 6a MERANT 5 32 bit ODBC driver 0.52.00.00 That's the driver. It seems that everything else is ok, but t...

DBD::ODBC 0.43 tests failed under cygwin perl 5.8.0 DBI 1.30 on N T4 SP 6a MERANT 5 32 bit ODBC driver 0.52.00.00
------_=_NextPart_001_01C28FBF.39892550 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" bash-2.05b$ perl -V Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration: Platform: osname=cygwin, osvers=1.3.12(0.5432), archname=cygwin-multi-64int uname='cygwin_nt-5.0 kmbestst 1.3.12(0.5432) 2002-07-06 02:16 i686 unknown ' config_args='-de -Dmksymlinks -Dusemultiplicity -Duse64bitint -Doptimize=-O2 -Dman3ext=3pm' hint=recommended, useposix=true, d_sigaction=define usethreads=undef use5005threads=undef useithreads=undef use...

PB 5.0.02 connect FoxPro2.5 files using ODBC
Hello, I use PB Desktop ver 5.0.02 on Win95 to connect to (*.dbf) files in FoxPro2.5 format with compaund (*.cdx) indexes. I configure ODBC drivers which came with this PB version (two Intersolve ODBC ver. 2.12 32-bit and one Microsoft FoxPro Driver from Win95) and made DB profiles for each ODBC. I can establish connection to my FoxPro *.dbf files. But not everything seems to be correct. In database painter (using Intersolve ODBC) for I can not see index key definition from *.cdx file which was build using FoxPro function: Deleted() or I can see the name of a key but there...

PB 5.0.02 connect FoxPro2.5 files using ODBC
Hello, I use PB Desktop ver 5.0.02 on Win95 to connect to (*.dbf) files in FoxPro2.5 format with compaund (*.cdx) indexes. I configure ODBC drivers which came with this PB version (two Intersolve ODBC ver. 2.12 32-bit and one Microsoft FoxPro Driver from Win95) and made DB profiles for each ODBC. I can establish connection to my FoxPro *.dbf files. But not everything seems to be correct. In database painter (using Intersolve ODBC) for I can not see index key definition from *.cdx file which was build using FoxPro function: Deleted() or I can see the name of a key but there...

error 8001 Unable to connect SQLAnywhere 5.5.04 Server in PB7.0
Please help me with the following problem: SYMPTOM: Error message SqlState 08001 "Unable to connect to database server; unable to start database engine" GOALS: Connect to 16-bit server database from Powerbuilder 7.0 development environment. Connect to 16-bit text driver from Powerbuilder 7.0 development environment. Connect to same datasources in production enviroment. ENVIRONMENT: 1. Working on Windows NT. 2. Powerbuilder 5.0 and 7.0 installed on PC. 3. Using ODBC interface to database. SITUATION: 1. Tried to connect to SQLAnywhere 5.5.04 server (16-bit). 2...

SQLAnywhere 9.0.0 (1108) with Clarion 5.5
I'm having an Identity crisis <g>. I have used code like this for several years, and never with any problem. I insert a record and then use @@Identity to retrieve the autoincremented sysid of the inserted record. Last week, a user ran a process (which does generally work and has been running very smoothly) and instead of retrieving the sysid from the inserted record, @@Identity returned the sysid of a completely different record that had been inserted several minutes earlier than the one just added. I can't recreate the problem either. Any ideas? Thanks!! Here is t...

sqlanywhere 5.0 ODBC trouble
Hi, when i try to connect with my database when i am testing mi exe the following error message is displayed: SQLAllocHandle driver fail in SQL_HANDLE_ENV. Any idea? Thanks in advance. In article <sWEb86R$9GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>, hquijano@norma.net says... > Hi, > when i try to connect with my database when i am testing mi exe the > following error message is displayed: > > SQLAllocHandle driver fail in SQL_HANDLE_ENV. > > Any idea? > Thanks in advance. > > > > > You can search for this on www.dejanews...

Web resources about - ODBC-less Connection from VB 5.0 - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

The Direct Connection

Is There A Connection Between Patrick Murphy's Over-The-Top Corruption And His Campaign Emails?
The DCCC may be stupid or even very stupid (as well as utterly incompetent) but their e-mail strategy is very well-planned out. Their overarching ...

CNN: Investigators Find ISIS Connection In San Bernardino Shooting
As the San Bernardino attack was happening, the female shooter, Tashfeen Malik posted on Facebook, pledging allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr ...

Connection And Collaboration In the Cloud
Forbes technology editor Bruce Upbin deconstructs the cloud and maps its potential to your life.

Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack
Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack

Get ready for live-streamed extreme sports: Seattle startup Sioeye adds 4G connection to action cam
The history of people doing crazy stunts on camera is full of notable achievements. Motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel jumped over whatever he ...