ODBC Connection to Access

Im connecting a Sybase SQL Anywhere database in Access97 using ODBC.  When I
try to update the recordset I get the follwong error:

"[Sybase][ODBC Driver]Unable to connect to database server: authentication
violation (-98) "

I have changed the permissions on the database and removed "Read Only"

Any Ideas?

0
Tom

Authentication violations usually indicate that you are using a third party
product and they have restricted the use of the db engine to their product.
 Is this true?
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com

Tom G <tgibb@tiac.net> wrote in article
<xOV5#qU69GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
> Im connecting a Sybase SQL Anywhere database in Access97 using ODBC.
When I
> try to update the recordset I get the follwong error:
>
> "[Sybase][ODBC Driver]Unable to connect to database server:
authentication
> violation (-98) "
>
> I have changed the permissions on the database and removed "Read Only"
>
> Any Ideas?

0
Jim
9/26/1998 2:55:34 PM
This is true.

They supplied a copy of the engine with their product.
Can I get around this by purchasing my own copy of SQL Anywhere?

Jim Egan wrote in message <01bde967$21f7e780$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
>Authentication violations usually indicate that you are using a third party
>product and they have restricted the use of the db engine to their product.
> Is this true?
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamPS]
>Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com
>Houston, TX
>
>Tom G <tgibb@tiac.net> wrote in article
><xOV5#qU69GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
>> Im connecting a Sybase SQL Anywhere database in Access97 using ODBC.
>When I
>> try to update the recordset I get the follwong error:
>>
>> "[Sybase][ODBC Driver]Unable to connect to database server:
>authentication
>> violation (-98) "
>>
>> I have changed the permissions on the database and removed "Read Only"
>>
>> Any Ideas?

0
Tom
9/26/1998 7:33:00 PM
To answer your question directly, yes you can get around this by purchasing
a licensed copy of SQL Anywhere.  My understanding is that the engine is
authenticated, not the database.  It is possible that the software vendor
may have specific language in their contract or warranty that precludes you
from doing this so proceed with caution

Here is an excerpt from TechDoc 44564 which explains Authentication.  If
you want the entire thing go to:
http://techdocs.sybase.com/css/techinfo.nsf/DocID/ID=44564
But I've include most of it here.
The authenticated version is a special version that behaves in one of the
following three ways.
- Does not allow unauthenticated software to connect to an engine or
server.
- Only allow unauthenticated software to perform read operations against an
engine or server.
- Only allow unauthenticated software to perform Data Manipulation Language
DML statements such as select, insert, and update.  It does not allow Data
Definition Language DDL such as  create or alter statements.

Why is it used?
Commercial programs may choose to deploy with this edition as it can ensure
that the data is not accessed by any other method than the authenticated
application that SQL Anywhere is deployed with.  S-Designor Metaworks
enables design teams to work together on common datamodels by using a read
only authenticated version of SQL Anywhere to store the models.
How does an application become authenticated?
An authenticated application passes a key to the authenticated engine or
server.  Once this key has been accepted any communications on the
authenticated connection bypass the authentication restrictions.  For more
information please see the readme book included with the Sybase SQL
Anywhere Authenticated Edition installation.
What does an authenticated engine or server look like?
The actual executable looks the same as an unauthenticated engine or server
but when it starts up it will say in the messages screen that it is an
authenticated version.
--

<VAFMesX69GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
> This is true.
>
> They supplied a copy of the engine with their product.
> Can I get around this by purchasing my own copy of SQL Anywhere?
>
> Jim Egan wrote in message <01bde967$21f7e780$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
> >Authentication violations usually indicate that you are using a third
party
> >product and they have restricted the use of the db engine to their
product.
> > Is this true?
> >--
> >Jim Egan [TeamPS]
> >Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com
> >Houston, TX
> >
> >Tom G <tgibb@tiac.net> wrote in article
> ><xOV5#qU69GA.151@forums.powersoft.com>...
> >> Im connecting a Sybase SQL Anywhere database in Access97 using ODBC.
> >When I
> >> try to update the recordset I get the follwong error:
> >>
> >> "[Sybase][ODBC Driver]Unable to connect to database server:
> >authentication
> >> violation (-98) "
> >>
> >> I have changed the permissions on the database and removed "Read Only"
> >>
> >> Any Ideas?

0
Jim
9/26/1998 11:59:54 PM
Jim:

Thanks for the help.

Tom

0
Tom

Connection to Access query works in developer envir, but not on the web <OleDbException (0x80004005): ODBC--connection to 'ODBC' failed>
I am VERY frustrated with a seemingly simple problem.  I am creating a gridview in VWD (express or studio), then connecting to a query within an Access Database.  The results of the query display without problem in the developer envirornment, but simply will not display when copied out to the website.  The ODBC connection that the Access Database is using fails even on the local machine.  I have spent fruitless hours looking at all security settings in IIS and the effected folders.  I could re-write all the access queries in SQL and connect to the server direct...

ODBC Connection error using IIS 5 and MS Access ODBC
Completely new at this so please forgive my ignorance! I have an app running on IIS 5 and 6 that when connecting to a SQL Db (via ODBC) app runs fine; however when switching to a local MS Access Db, application fails, generating the following message: "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>   FAIL - ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or network error. ERROR [IM006] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed ERROR [HY000] [Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Disk or network error.</string&...

Can't connect to Access Data Base with ODBC connection
I am using Visual Web Developer and trying to connect to an Access data base in the code behind page  Default.aspx.vb.    I can't connect to my data base with the following code: Dim connectionstring As String connectionstring = _ "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\asp\test02\App_Data\company.mdb;User Id=admin;Password=;" Dim myConn As OdbcConnection = New OdbcConnection(connectionstring) myConn.Open()   I alwasy get :   "Data Source not found and no default driver found:.   Does anyone know what I am doing wrong ?? Check ou...

Access ODBC connection
Part of the funtionality in the app I'm building is connecting to a remote Access database and retrieving monthly billing data. In configuring the ODBC connection, I had to use the 'User DSN' tab rather than the 'System DSN' tab. This limits who can login to my app and successfully get the data from Access. Only the user the ODBC connection is configured for is able to do it. PowerBuilder just didn't recognize the connection if it wasn't a User DSN. Is this a limitation I just have to live with? Or is there a workaround? Thanks for any help in advance...

ODBC connect to Access database fails [Microsoft] [ODBC Driver Manager] Program Type out of Range
I was connecting and updating an Access97 Database OK. Office2000 was installed by our Help Desk and now I get the error SQLSTATE = S1003 [Microsoft] [ODBC Driver Manager] Program Type out of Range I tried creating an New ODBC entry with a newly created MSAccess database but got the same error. Any Help Appreciated I remember having this error also. What i did to solve it was the following -click the database painter -you get a list of all tables of your current db -press cancel button -change your connect in File/connect to the correct db. HTH John Which P...

MS Access ODBC Connection
How to connect MS Access 97 database to PowerBuiler Application? If PowerBuilder doesn't provide ODBC Driver for MS Accesss, How can I get it and how can I redistribute it to general customers who will use our application? ...

How to connect MS Access with ODBC
Hi all, I am meeting a big problem. I try to use Perl to connect MS Access database from a remote machine . But I can not find a good way. I want use the DSN-less way. I search it from google, and get this example: use DBI; $dbh = DBI->connect('dbi:ODBC:driver=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);dbq=f:\db1.mdb'); My question is how to setup the host name or port number? Like this: $dbh = DBI->connect('dbi:ODBC:driver=Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb);ServerPort:128.128.110.110;dbq=f:\db1.mdb'); , right? or replace ServerPort with HOST? All of them do not wo...

Failure of ODBC connection with Access
------=_NextPart_000_0021_01C24EB6.AD1D05D0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi, I am wondering how to successfully connect to Microsoft Access database = using DBD::ODBC. Here is the snippet of my code: ...... my $dbdrive=3DDBI->install_driver('ODBC'); my $dbn=3D"driver=3DMicrosoft Access Driver = (*.mdb);dbq=3D\\\genethon\\data drive\\www\\DB\\newgene.mdb"; my $dbh=3D$dbdrive->connect('dbi:ODBC:$dbn','','')|| die = "$DBI::errstr\n"; ..... where...

odbc connection via access
Has anyone ever experienced the following. When using MS Access with read only priv. via an ODBC connection to ASA having duplicate rows of a table displayed? Upon investigating it's just that, the duplicates are only being displayed (hundreds of times) the actual db is fine. Any suggestions. It's version 5.5.04. If you have written a query with multiple tables you may have left off the necessary syntax to join the tables in a logical way. If you leave off the join syntax you'll get a Cartesian join which joins every row with every other row from each table. ...

Connecting to Access using ODBC
I am trying to connect to an Access 2000 database using ODBC. I have created my profile in Powerbuilder, but when I try to connect to the database from within Powerbuilder, I get the following error message: SQLSTATE = S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Program type out of range Here are my specs: Microsoft Access 2000 (9.0.3821 SR-1) Window 2000 Operating System Powerbuilder 6.5 Build 444 ODBC Driver Version = 4.00.5303.01 File = ODBCJT32.Dll Date = 7/26/2000 You need to either upgrade PB to at least version 6.5. or above, or downgrade ODBC. ...

ODBC Connection to MS ACCESS
I'm trying to make an ODBC connection between Microsoft Access and Sybase Adaptive Server 6.00.03.274. (ODBC driver is 6.00.03.2747) I keep getting the following error message in MS ACCESS: Reserved error (-7748); there is no message for this error. I can see the SQL tables but cannot make the final connection. I sent an email to Sybase and got a message back that they had no suggestions or solution. Is there someone at Sybase that will help me with this problem. We are running Access 97. Appreciate your help. Thanks. dzg5@cdc.gov Jim Gergely Are you ...

Microsoft Access ODBC connection.
I am using PowerBuilder 5.0.02 Enterprise to connect to a Microsoft Access 97 database. In PB's ODBC configuration utility I have selected the database using the Microsoft Access driver. I can connect to the database and even get a list of tables in the database painter. When I attempt to open a table ("accts") from within the db painter I get the error message Table "accts" has no columns, possible invalid table format. What is causing this and how do I correct it? Steven, The direct cause of the problem is that the ODBC call SQLColumns that PowerBui...

ODBC connection to Access Database
We are upgrading from NT to XME and I am not able to connect to an MS Access database usingPowerBuilder 7. The connection to SQL 7 works fine. Although the ODBC connection has been set up when I try to connect to the Access DB I get an error message that the connection does not exist. Is there a newer PowerBuilder SQL ODBC driver needed to enable me to connect, or anything else that I can do to fix this issue. Thanks Does this problem occur in the PB IDE at design time, or just at runtime? If just at runtime, you could look at the design time settings and copy them over to ensur...

Connection to Access with ODBC 4.0
My PowerBuilder 6.5.1 need to connect Access with ODBC 4.0. But in Database painter, I found all the string and text with data type have double there width ie. char16 -> char32. I have downloaded 65123832.zip but still no effect. Can anywhere know how to fix this. Is this PB problem, or odbc problem? ...

Web resources about - ODBC Connection to Access - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart
CNN French authorities detain suspects in connection to attacks 10 months apart CNN A forensic scientist works near a Paris cafe on Saturday, ...

"News Feed" For Slower Connections: Facebook's Strategy To Build A Stronger User Base
The changes in News Feed will more efficiently show relevant stories in a slow connection and let users compose comments when they are offline. ...