ODBC connection problems

I am new to SQL Anywhere using version 5.5.01.

When I try to establish an ODBC connection from a client machine to a
network server, it usually takes between 30 and 45 seconds to establish the
connection. This seems terribly slow and makes quick on-the-fly queries
impracticable. Am I missing something?. I specify a server name and
database name in the ODBC dsn definition but is there any more I can do to
say where the network server is running? I use TCP/IP and 32bit Netware
client software on windows 95 and NT 4.

Also, if there is no way around this problem, is it possible to leave the
ODBC client up once a connection is established so that you only have to go
through the delay once during each logon session?

Note that I am connection from custom VB apps using RDO and Word and Excel.

TIA
0
Angus

Angus,

To speed up your dbclient connection use the -x protocol switch.  This will
limit the protocols on which dbclient atempts to find your server.  The list
is comma delimited but since you seem to only need tcpip...

dbclient -x tcpip <Server_Name>

Yes, you can leave dbclient running.  In your ODBC datsource under custom
options turn off the autostop switch.

HTH,

Carson

Carson Hager                     Dynamic Data Solutions
Team Powersoft                 http://www.dyn-data.com
chager@dyn-data.com

Angus Mcqueen wrote in message <01bce2c8$48aa7b00$1cf682c1@neane>...
>I am new to SQL Anywhere using version 5.5.01.
>
>When I try to establish an ODBC connection from a client machine to a
>network server, it usually takes between 30 and 45 seconds to establish the
>connection. This seems terribly slow and makes quick on-the-fly queries
>impracticable. Am I missing something?. I specify a server name and
>database name in the ODBC dsn definition but is there any more I can do to
>say where the network server is running? I use TCP/IP and 32bit Netware
>client software on windows 95 and NT 4.
>
>Also, if there is no way around this problem, is it possible to leave the
>ODBC client up once a connection is established so that you only have to go
>through the delay once during each logon session?
>
>Note that I am connection from custom VB apps using RDO and Word and Excel.
>
>TIA

0
Carson
10/27/1997 2:06:53 PM
One other thing Angus,

What Microsoft Apps and especially RDO does, is it gets all kinds of
other dbinfo and connection info from the driver and the database it is
connecting to if it is not SQL Server (MS or Sybase).  In other words
allot of wasted time.  One possible way to alleviate the problem and
what has worked for most people is to add the following string to the
DSN in the registry:

    VBRDO:REG_SZ:1

This goes into HKey_Current_User/software/odbc/odbc.ini/   your dsn.

Then go into Edit/Add Value.

Good Luck,

Zdenek Marek

Angus Mcqueen wrote:

> I am new to SQL Anywhere using version 5.5.01.
>
> When I try to establish an ODBC connection from a client machine to a
> network server, it usually takes between 30 and 45 seconds to
> establish the
> connection. This seems terribly slow and makes quick on-the-fly
> queries
> impracticable. Am I missing something?. I specify a server name and
> database name in the ODBC dsn definition but is there any more I can
> do to
> say where the network server is running? I use TCP/IP and 32bit
> Netware
> client software on windows 95 and NT 4.
>
> Also, if there is no way around this problem, is it possible to leave
> the
> ODBC client up once a connection is established so that you only have
> to go
> through the delay once during each logon session?
>
> Note that I am connection from custom VB apps using RDO and Word and
> Excel.
>
> TIA

0
Zdenek

SQLAnywhere 5.5 Multi-ODBC Connection Problem
Hi, I have been having a problem establishing two ODBC connections with an SQL Anywhere database. I have one connection being made to the datbase from ClearQuest. I also have a custom written ASP script that connects to this same database. If I am logged in through ClearQuest Web Service and try to run my ASP script, I get an "Unable to connect to database server. Specified database not found" error from my ASP script. However, if I am not logged in on the ClearQeust Web Service, and I run my ASP script, it runs fine. Then if I try to log into the Clear Quest Web Ser...

ODBC connection thru VC++ with SQLAnywhere 5.5 problem
retcode = SQLDriverConnect( hdbc, EView->hwnd(), szConnStrIn5, strlen((char*)szConnStrIn5), szConnStrOut, cbConnStrOutMax, &pcbConnStrOut, SQL_DRIVER_COMPLETE_REQUIRED); where : szConnStrIn5 = "DRIVER={Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0};DatabaseFile=c:\database\test.db;UID=perform;PWD=perform;agent=engine;" I already have a connection made to a server database and I am opening up this connection in addition. The problem I am getting is that I get prompted for the User ID and Password through the standard Sybase connection dialog. The UID and PWD are alrea...

Connection Problem with SQLAnywhere unix client connection to server on another host
We are currently having a problem getting SQLAnywhere v7 on HP-UX to connect with a Sybase database on another machine (WinNT). I have been unable to find any previous threads with information that has solved our problem. We are currently on an evaluation version of SQLAnywhere for HP-UX and we will expire soon without one connection ever being made. We use SQLAnywhere v5 on Windows to connect to the database using the following command: dbclient -Z -x TCPIP{DOBROADCAST=NO; HOST=SOMEHOST} linksr with an ODBC data source with the following settings: Data source name: links...

Problem wit migrating Informix Firedac ODBC connection to Infx Connection
Now Firedac in XE6 supports Informix natively besides odbc, i decided to use the native way from now on. However, i came up with some odd behaviour: Take the following query: select * from fys_punt_im where nummer = "1000"; Where column nummer is of type varchar(10). When executing this query using Firedac Infx connection i get the error: ERROR: SQL state: 42S22. Native error: -217. Error message: [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Column (1000) not found in any table in the query (or SLV is undefined). However when executing the same query using Firedac ODBC conn...

ODBC connection problem
I am an experience PowerBuilder Enterprise and ASA user. I am at PB Enterprise 11.2 latest update, and ASA 9.0.2 latest update. The OS on the target machine is either Vista 32 bit or XP 32 bit. I am having problems getting my application to the read the ODBC data for the second database connection. On the development computer, Vista 64 bit, all works well. My program has two database connections. One for a local database and one to a remote database that collects data to do billing. On the target machines the program connects to the local database without any problem. When...

ODBC problem with SQLAnywhere
I have an application developed in PowerBuilder 6.0 general release and being run on various flavors of Windows 95. Some of my clients are complaining that they cannot connect to the SQLAnywhere database. It fails with the following message: DB Error Code: 999 DB Error Message: SQLSTATE =IM004 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed I am using Version 5.5.04 Build #1867 of SQLAnywhere. The funny thing is that before I upgraded the application from PB 5.0.01 to PB 6.0, no one had problems connecting to the database. The only thing...

ODBC connection problem
Hello, I'm attempting to establish an ODBC connection within a PowerBuilder developed Jaguar component. I've tested the exact connection within a simple PowerBuilder client server application (using "n_tr") and the connection works fine. However, when I attempt to connect this transaction within the Jaguar component I get the following: SQLCODE=-1 SQLDBCODE=999 SQLERRTEXT="An invalid handle was passed in a call to the database driver." This is a non-cache connection (i.e. I populate and connect the transaction within an object function in the compo...

odbc connection problems
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0090_01C7921A.56B97C30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="big5" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi everyone, =20 When I use ODBC to connect Microsoft SQL Server 2000.=20 The following statement will occure error=20 select emp_no,adj_date into :is_emp_no,:is_sdate from pr1sar10 tb1 where = tb1.emp_no=3D:as_emp_no and tb1.sdate=3D(select max(tb2.sdate) from = pr1sar10 tb2 where tb2.emp_no=3D:as_emp_no and tb2.sdate<=3D:as_sdate); The error message is=20 sqlcode=3D-1 sqldbcode=3D999 ...

connection odbc problem
I have a database made wiht asa 7.0 I'm connect with ODBC. Befor in ODBC profile, i have checked supply user ID and password. for development, i have write the userid and the password directly into the odbc profile. Now, i must distribue my little application. I have delete the userid and the password. My code for connect is : string ls_connect ls_connect = "connectstring='DSN=DBNAME;UID=AAAAA;PWD=ZZZZZ'" sqlca.dbms = "ODBC" sqlca.dbparm = ls_connect sqlca.userid = sle_userid.text connect using sqlca; My problem is that now, the odbc ask me...

ODBC connectivity problems

ODBC problem with SQLAnywhere
I have an application developed in PowerBuilder 6.0 general release and being run on various flavors of Windows 95. Some of my clients are complaining that they cannot connect to the SQLAnywhere database. It fails with the following message: DB Error Code: 999 DB Error Message: SQLSTATE =IM004 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_ENV failed I am using Version 5.5.04 Build #1867 of SQLAnywhere. The funny thing is that before I upgraded the application from PB 5.0.01 to PB 6.0, no one had problems connecting to the database. The only thing...

ODBC Connecting Problem
Hi there, I'm using ASP and Sybase ASE 11.9.2. And I encountered a connection issue, when the .asp try connect to production db server (it works fine for development server). The follwoing is the error msg :- Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [INTERSOLV][ODBC SQL Server driver][SQL Server]ct_connect(): user api layer: internal Client Library error: Read from the server has timed out. Any idea ? Thanks in advance. rgs, cslook Are your production server avaliable through network? Had you tried a ping? Had been you configured ...

ODBC Connection problems...
I'm attempting to connect to SQL Server through a ODBC source. I can conncect through normal means, but when I try to set it up for ODBC it cannot connect. Does any one have any ideas? The error code that I am getting is -1 for PB and 999 for SQL Server. This is the exact text: SQLSTATE = IM001 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Driver does not support this function Any ideas? Thanks for your time. Jacob Aldridge > I'm attempting to connect to SQL Server through a ODBC source. I can > conncect through normal means, but when I try to set it up for ODBC it > can...

ODBC connect problem
I use PB v 6.5 build 444 on Windows ME. I can not connect to MS Access database. When I try to open list of tables in Database painter I get an error message: "SQLSTATE=S1003 [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager]Program type out of range" PS It looks like I have same problem in Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Thanks for any suggestion Try 6.5.1. On Thu, 25 Jan 2001 22:33:34 -0800, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.connectivity Stan <sshvabsky@yahoo.com> wrote: >I use PB v 6.5 build 444 on Windows ME. >I can not connect to MS Access database. When I try to ...

Web resources about - ODBC connection problems - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Paris attacks: Belgium connection probed as terrorist past of Brussels district of Molenbeek under spotlight ...
Prosecutors reveal a growing Belgian connection to the deadly Paris attacks, focusing on a poor Brussels district.

The Direct Connection

Cross-cultural Connections and Exchange: international study is more important than ever
... And, as a minority of ill-intentioned individuals and groups do their best to create divides, we need citizens equipped to create connections ...

Get ready for live-streamed extreme sports: Seattle startup Sioeye adds 4G connection to action cam
The history of people doing crazy stunts on camera is full of notable achievements. Motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel jumped over whatever he ...