ODBC connection fails w/"invalid db name"

I have been trying without any luck to re-establish connection to
EASDemo DB from the ODBC configuration.  I have been getting all
kinds of errors such as "DB page size is too large", to "invalid DB name".
I have tried to delete and recreate the system data source, didn't work,
I re-installed the EASDemo DB again, didn't seem to help.  Any ideas as to
how I can get re-established with this all important ODBC connection?

Thanks, I appreciate the help
Sarita
0
Sarita

The problem you describe is one that I wrote an FAQ on.  Read it at:
http://www.dyn-data.com/ims/techzone/faq/faq_detail.stm?faq_id=5014

Note that there are a lot of other EA Server related FAQ's on our site
also.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com
Houston, TX
0
jegan
8/4/1999 3:07:55 AM
Thanks for your help.  I no longer get the page size too big error
anymore, however, it seems like the drivers or the easdemodb are corrupted.
I have PB 7 build 5031, all components except the Jaguar Server are on
my PC.  I can't connect to easdemo or any database that I create using ODBC.
I can't rebuild, delete, or do anything with any databases, gives me an error
such as 'Specified database is invalid'.  When I go into the ODBC config,
I can't test the connection, gives me the above error when I go into the
EAS Demo DB V3 DSN.  How do I get back my connections?  I would appreciate
any suggestions.

Thanks.

On Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:07:55 -0500,
 in sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
Jim Egan <jegan@dyn-data.com> wrote:
>The problem you describe is one that I wrote an FAQ on.  Read it at:
>http://www.dyn-data.com/ims/techzone/faq/faq_detail.stm?faq_id=5014
>
>Note that there are a lot of other EA Server related FAQ's on our site
>also.
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
>Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com
>Houston, TX

Sarita
0
Sarita
8/5/1999 3:37:19 PM
Let me see if I have this straight:

Jaguar server: on some other machine
ASA db server: on your PC
ODBC DSN: on your PC

Jaguar is not going to be able to use a DSN that is on your PC.  The DSN
must be on the same PC that Jaguar is on.

From the ODBC Admin on your PC you should be able to connect to the ASA
db server on your PC.  It sounds like some of the DSN information is
incorrect.  Post what you have entered into the DSN and I'll take a look
at it.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com
Houston, TX
0
jegan
8/6/1999 2:22:44 AM
Hi Jim,

With regards to DSN on Jaguar, it does reside on that PC as well, however the
trouble is that my own ASA db won't connect anymore - I can't even edit a dw!

Here goes:

System Data Source Name: EAS Demo DB V3
Configure
ODBC Tab:
 DSN = EAS Demo DB V3
The rest is default or blank
Login Tab:
 Supplied userid and pwd as dba and sql respectively
Database Tab:
 Server name is blank
 Start line = C:\Program Files\Sybase\Adaptive Server Anywhere
6.0\win32\dbeng6.exe -d -c8m -gp 4096
 Database name = easdemodb
 Database file = C:\Program Files\Sybase\PowerBuilder
7.0\PFC\demoapp\easdemodb.db
 Rest is default checked
Network Tab:
 No network protocol specified
Advanced Tab:
 Nothing specified outside of defaults.

I think that's what you asked for, thanks for the help!

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999 21:22:44 -0500,
 in sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
Jim Egan <jegan@dyn-data.com> wrote:
>Let me see if I have this straight:
>
>Jaguar server: on some other machine
>ASA db server: on your PC
>ODBC DSN: on your PC
>
>Jaguar is not going to be able to use a DSN that is on your PC.  The DSN
>must be on the same PC that Jaguar is on.
>
>From the ODBC Admin on your PC you should be able to connect to the ASA
>db server on your PC.  It sounds like some of the DSN information is
>incorrect.  Post what you have entered into the DSN and I'll take a look
>at it.
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
>Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com
>Houston, TX

Sarita
0
Sarita
8/6/1999 4:37:40 PM
On my machine I think the easdemodb.db is in Sybase\Shared\PowerBuilder.
A different database is located in PFC\demoapp.  With this DSN no other
machine will connect to this database.  It is starting the standalone
engine.  Is that what you want?
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com
Houston, TX
0
jegan
8/7/1999 3:48:09 AM
Yes, it's the standalone db that I require, even to just create dws for a
demo application.  FYI, I tried both databases, the one on shared and the one
in the PFC/demoapp directories.

For the connection to Jaguar, I will setup the appropriate client components
on another client PC, and configure PowerDynamo and Jaguar on a server PC.

Thanks.
On Fri, 6 Aug 1999 22:48:09 -0500,
 in sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general
Jim Egan <jegan@dyn-data.com> wrote:
>On my machine I think the easdemodb.db is in Sybase\Shared\PowerBuilder.
>A different database is located in PFC\demoapp.  With this DSN no other
>machine will connect to this database.  It is starting the standalone
>engine.  Is that what you want?
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
>Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com
>Houston, TX

Sarita
0
Sarita

ODBC connect fails w/"invalid DB name"
Hi, I have been trying without any luck to re-establish connection to EASDemo DB from the ODBC configuration. I have been getting all kinds of errors such as "DB page size is too large", to "invalid DB name". I have tried to delete and recreate the system data source, didn't work, I re-installed the EASDemo DB again, didn't seem to help. Any ideas as to how I can get re-established with this all important ODBC connection? Thanks, I appreciate the help Sarita This message was cross posted to the SQL Anywhere.General newsgroup and has already...

"A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond IP:PORT"
 Hi all, "A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond IP:Port"  this is the error i am geeting while sending an email using System.Net.Mail My Code here :MailMessage objMail;        SmtpClient objSMTP;        // Now create the email        objMail = new MailMessage();        objMail.To.Add...

column "name" is not in table "name "
I have a problem with PB 6.5.1, and Informix 5.02 (Online) ... We receive the error above in subject.... when i tried to make a Datawindow updated. (settings) .. I`m not sute what that mean.. I have done all the testing.. and I did not find anything...Please .. help me Carlos BDT-Caracas-Venezuela Carlos, It sounds like the datawindow has a select statement that selects data from multiple tables using a SQL Join. nd perhaps when the update properties were set, columns from multiple tables were selected and marked as updateable columns. I will test this when I get a ...

ASP server attempt. Is it possible to implement, Session("name")="Damian"; Application("name")="test"
I'm looking at modifing our www server embedded in our product with some ASP similar features. Will have 1 JS runtime, and a pool of JS contexts First I thought 'Session' could be a property of the global object, but then you can't pass a arguement to a property. I was planning keeping the data in C++, when the user requested it, convert/copy it to a jsval. Now I'm thinking Session is more like a global JS array. But then its entire contents will be stored against the global object. Which is ok, I don't need to know the infor from C++. Which means I would nee...

Proposal to Change Name of "General" Component in BootToGecko to "Platform"
Hi Everyone, A problem that appears to be happening by our bug filers is confusion over what should be filed in the BootToGecko --> General component. I've seen a good amount of bugs end up in there that were obvious Gaia bugs. I'm wondering if the root cause of issue is perhaps that we're calling the name of the component General, which implies a default filing location. The bugs I've seen in that component are typically tracked on the platform side, so I think we should make that distinction clear (i.e. platform level). The proposal I have is to change ...

"submit" to Access DB returns "connection closed"error
The error when I submit data  is as follows: Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: ExecuteNonQuery requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.Source Error: Line 17: Dim comDatabase As New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand(strSQL, conDatabase) Line 18: Line 19: comDatabase.ExecuteNonQuery() Line 20:...

value of attribute "ID" invalid: "_" cannot start a name
Can somebody throw a bone to someone who up until recently has just done the artsy side of things. I just want to make things more w3 friendly if not full compliant on a 2.1.2 install. Could someone point me in the direction of of fixing how all this _blah stuff is called? I'm sure others have had this dilemma. Thanks for any help... cheers!...

META name="title" + META name="description" + META name="keywords" in MasterPage head section
Hy Guys, I've placed these META tags on the HEAD section of my MASTERPAGE of my application (used in all my webforms) Last Monday week I was on the first page of GOOGLE at the sixth position. Last Friday, I've added a script section on my head too. Something like: function .... .... .... This week, I can't even find my site even if I put on the search engine te exact site name. Did I do something wrong? Does the scrip section stop the google robots to read the META tags? Thank you in advance MarcoMarco First of all, META tags...

Changing the "from-name" / "friendly-name" / sender
Hi, I'm not sure what's the correct designation for the object I'm talking about. In my german GroupWise it's the "Von-Name" or in some cases it's called "friendly name". I'm talking about the sender of an E-Mail which is shown in my GroupWise Mailbox, such as "Peter Briggs <p.briggs@mailman.com>"... My question is who to change it to "Peter Briggs, Mailman Inc. <p.briggs@mailman.com>" ... (adding the ", Mailman Inc.") While using GroupWise in the Caching Modus I can change it on my own in ...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

upgrade error:"CONNECTIVITY ERROR:DB-Library: "SQL Server connection timed out."
PLEASE HELP OH WISE SYBASE GURUS! upgrading 11.9.2 to 12.0. unloaded software. rebooted server. selected "upgrade server" in Configure Sybase Servers window. typed in sa password. got "CONNECTIVITY ERROR: DB-Library: "SQL Server connection timed out." -- Chuck Boyce chuck_boyce@operamail.com http://www.geocities.com/chuck_boyce_jr/ Yahoo Messenger ID: chuck_boyce_jr http://messenger.yahoo.com AOL Instant Messenger ID: sg95m476 http://www.aol.com/aim/ ICQ Messenger ID: 41449031 http://www.icq.com ...

SQL: Column names, can ONLY get "name" instead of "table.name"
Hey all, When iterating through column names returned from a query, I need to get "table.name" rather than just "name" Check it out: If I have an SQL statement "SELECT table1.ID, table2.ID FROM table1, table2;" And table1 has a column name 'ID' and table2 has a column name 'ID' aswell, and i run the query, the dataset will contain column names 'ID' and 'ID' instead of 'table1.ID' and 'table2.ID' It is extremely important that I can differenciate between the 2 fields, and know where each of them come from. The same thing happen...

11.4 RC1
STILL broken - these were broken in M6 as well. The "fish" and "sftp" protocols never return - stay "connecting". Yet ssh from the command line works fine. Konqueror does prompt for the userid/password as it should. The userid/password are saved in the Wallet correctly. "smb" worked in M6, but it seems not to work in RC1 Sadly, we can't move from 11.3 until this is fixed. -- smithlar ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Well... "smb" IS working - it is just very slow. &...

Web resources about - ODBC connection fails w/"invalid db name" - sybase.sqlanywhere.general