MS Access 97 into ASA 7 with ADO?

I just saw this from a post by Jason Hinsperger	on July 11 2001:

What piece of software are you actually using to create your connection?
It sounds like you may be using Microsoft Access, in which case it is hard coded
to only support Microsoft SQL Server OLE DB connections.

--
Jason Hinsperger
International and Sustaining Engineering

Well, is this really true? Can one not use either AsaProv or MSDASQL to
get to ASA 7 from Access Basic?

My impression is that ADO calls do not go thru the Jet Engine. So I
would expect that any OLE DB provider would be usable with Access.

0
Randall

What are you trying to do?  What I was referring to in my post is the use of the MS
Access Data Access Project.  It is hard coded (and documented by MS) as only
supporting MS SQL Server Connections.

--

Randall Parker wrote:

> I just saw this from a post by Jason Hinsperger on July 11 2001:
>
> What piece of software are you actually using to create your connection?
> It sounds like you may be using Microsoft Access, in which case it is hard coded
> to only support Microsoft SQL Server OLE DB connections.
>
> --
> Jason Hinsperger
> International and Sustaining Engineering
> Adaptive Server Anywhere
>
> Well, is this really true? Can one not use either AsaProv or MSDASQL to
> get to ASA 7 from Access Basic?
>
> My impression is that ADO calls do not go thru the Jet Engine. So I
> would expect that any OLE DB provider would be usable with Access.

0
Jason
9/4/2001 1:45:10 PM
On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 09:45:10 -0400 esteemed Jason Hinsperger did hold forth thusly:
> What are you trying to do?

I am migrating an Access 97 database into ASA 7.0.3. It currently uses DAO. But
I want to change it to do ADO with UpdateBatch into ASA.

My problem currently is that with DAO it sends each record to the database and
waits for a response. Well, with Access and the database on the same machine
that means that it does a task switch for every update or insert. Since I'm
running a half million updates or inserts at a time in a batch job I'm getting
a million task switches. It kills performance.

So I want to use ADO from MS Access into ASA with my ADODB.Recordset getting:
   .LockType = adLockBatchOptimistic
 and then at the end doing:
   .UpdateBatch

So will either AsaProv or MSDASQL support this from Access 97 Basic? Otherwise
will it work if I do it from VB 6?

>What I was referring to in my post is the use of the MS
> Access Data Access Project.  It is hard coded (and documented by MS) as only
> supporting MS SQL Server Connections.

0
Randall
9/4/2001 6:20:11 PM
Yes you can use either ASAProv or MSDASQL to access ASA from Access through a script.
However, I'm not sure whether ADO is fully supported in Access '97.  However, VB would
definitely work.

--

Randall Parker wrote:

> On Tue, 04 Sep 2001 09:45:10 -0400 esteemed Jason Hinsperger did hold forth thusly:
> > What are you trying to do?
>
> I am migrating an Access 97 database into ASA 7.0.3. It currently uses DAO. But
> I want to change it to do ADO with UpdateBatch into ASA.
>
> My problem currently is that with DAO it sends each record to the database and
> waits for a response. Well, with Access and the database on the same machine
> that means that it does a task switch for every update or insert. Since I'm
> running a half million updates or inserts at a time in a batch job I'm getting
> a million task switches. It kills performance.
>
> So I want to use ADO from MS Access into ASA with my ADODB.Recordset getting:
>    .LockType = adLockBatchOptimistic
>  and then at the end doing:
>    .UpdateBatch
>
> So will either AsaProv or MSDASQL support this from Access 97 Basic? Otherwise
> will it work if I do it from VB 6?
>
> >What I was referring to in my post is the use of the MS
> > Access Data Access Project.  It is hard coded (and documented by MS) as only
> > supporting MS SQL Server Connections.

0
Jason

MS Access 97 and ASA 7
We've updated and rebuilt our DB in ASA 7... The administrator is trying to populate tables via MS Access 97 tools and getting tons of DUPLICATE or #DELETE messages. Any known problems or caveats here? Later, it turns out, reviewing through ISQL shows the data to be there. TIA -- Steven M Field mailto:scionyx@compuserve.com ...

ASA 7.0.x install broke MS Access 97 ODBC driver?
I don't know exactly when my machine's Access 97 ODBC driver stopped working. However, the only thing I've installed that is ODBC-related since it last worked is ASA 7.0.2 and associated tools along with ASA 7.0.3 update. So can these rev some system dlls in a way that would make Access Jet 3.2 ODBC driver incompatible with them? I'm getting this error in the ODBC Adminstrator: The setup routines for the Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb) could not be loaded due to system error code 126. Could Not Load Translator or Setup Library Anyone know whether I should i...

PB 6.5, MS SQL Server 7.0 and MS Access 97
Since we installed MS SQL Server 7.0 (which updated our Data Access Drivers), we are no longer able to reference Access 97 from PowerBuilder. I get an error: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Program type out of range Any idea what might be going on? Thanks, Cliff Different ODBC drivers are not compatible. There is an updated ODBC patch for PB 6.5 on the SDN, that might solve your problem. Else you'll probably have to reinstall Access 97 (and risk braking SQL Server 7). -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Canadian Forest Oil Ltd. Cliff Koehler wrote in message <3Cb...

Ms Access/ ASA 7.0.1
I had been using Access 97 to import data into our sybase SQL anywhere 5.5 databse. We recently upgraded to ASA 7.0 and I have run into an error when I try and updtate the table. I have created a simple test: Sub Newtest() Dim lNextKey As Long Dim sSQL As String Dim rsKeys As Recordset Dim qdfNextKey As QueryDef Debug.Print "Begin ConnectToNeedles " & CStr(Now) 'gfrmEDI.ShowMessage "Connecting to Needles..." Set gwrkODBC = CreateWorkspace("NewODBCWorkspace", "DBA", "SQL", dbUseODBC)...

Upsizing MS Access 97 to SQLAnywhere 10
Using the migration toolkit I have tried to migrate a database. The tool is successful in testing the ODBC link but fails immediately afterwards with 'Data Source Name not found and Driver Not Specified' This is an MSA97 mdb and running DAO NOT ADO internally. The MDAC is the latest for this Jet Engine and (I assume) ADO is available for use by the migration tool. Any suggestions to make this work or how to get the MSA97 structure and data over to SQLAnywhere? As an alternative, you might consider using PowerDesigner. 1) Create an ODBC connection to MS Access 2) Open ...

MS Access 97 vs. ASA 6.0
Hi, I wonder if somebody could tell wich database is better for a small bussines app. I looking for some evaluation to make up my mind, since ASA is a lot more expensive that Access. Any comments will be aprecite. Thanks in advance, Mario Enriquez P.S. Please excuse my English It all depends... What front end are you going to use? Do you need multi-user database or single user? How big your database is going to be? If you are going to create a personal desktop application using Visual Basic then Access is a better choice. If you are going to have a two or more tier ...

ASA 8.0
I use a Sybase ASA 8.0 database with an MS Access 97 client. I still have another db using Access alone. My problem is each time I start both (Access+Sybase and AccessAlone) I get a dramatical slowdown in the Access+Sybase client application. Any help? What OS are you working on? Have you checked CPU and disk usage? Could this just be a hardware resource issue? More details would definitely help us to give more specific suggestions. -- ----------------------------------------------- Robert Waywell Certified SQL Anywhere Associate Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions Pl...

Pb 7.0.3 connecting to MS Access 97
Running on NT 4.0 SP5, we have several MS Access dbs. When I connect to the first MS Access MDB , PB created the pbcatcol , pbcattbl, etc. tables and automatically populated them for pbc_tnam, pbc_cnam, and pbt_tnam. Then when I created another ODBC profile for the next MS Access MDB and a new connection profile in PB and connect, the pbcattbl and pbcatcol tables are created as empty shells with no data. How can I get the tables to be populated like PB did with the first MDB? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreicated. Thanks! Marc Strange. Create a pipel...

ASA 6.0.3 slower than MS Access 97
Hi, I am currently evaluating ASA 6.0.3 as a possible replacement for an MS Access application. I installed it on a PIII500, created a database using a page size of 4096, and filled it with a table containing approx 20000 rows. The table contains images in a long binary field, so the database is a bit large: about 100Mb. The strange thing is that the performance is very low, compared to MS Access 97. A simple count(*) , to get the number of rows in the table, takes about 20 seconds, which is very long compared to the 3 seconds that MS Access needs. The same goes for about every qu...

How to access MS OLAP or ADO MD query (MDX) with PB 7 ?
How to access MS OLAP or ADO MD query (MDX) with PB 7 ? Does anyone knows how to Access MS Olap Services. For an example a query like: select {[parts.members]} on columns , [time.year] on rows from cubesales. How ???? Does someone knows where is a document ??? ...

Pb 7.0.3 connecting to MS Access 97 #2
Running on NT 4.0 SP5, we have several MS Access dbs. When I connect to the first MS Access MDB , PB created the pbcatcol , pbcattbl, etc. tables and automatically populated them for pbc_tnam, pbc_cnam, and pbt_tnam. Then when I created another ODBC profile for the next MS Access MDB and a new connection profile in PB and connect, the pbcattbl and pbcatcol tables are created as empty shells with no data. How can I get the tables to be populated like PB did with the first MDB? Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreicated. Thanks! Marc ...

MS ADO / ASA 7 Stored Procedure Return Value Problem
I've got an application that we've upgraded from MS DAO & ASA 5 to MS ADO & ASA 7. All this has worked quite smoothly (with some help from this newsgroup!!), but I've now discovered that our stored procedures are not returning the correct return values. This was not previously a problem. We are using ADO 2.5 SP1 and the latest ASA EBF 1133. The specific problem seems to be that stored procedures that do not specify a return value, return garbage. I've checked the stored procedures using ISQL and code along the lines of: CREATE VARIABLE @SPRet tinyint @SPR...

ASA 7.0 problem in retrieving data using MS Access
Hi, We've installed ASA7.0 with the sample databases. The ODBC entries are already made when the software is installed. We are able to connect and query from another machine this database using isql. When we try to do this using MS-Access, MS access displays the list of tables in the sample database. When we choose one among this list, Jet engine gives an error that table is not found. We tried using PowerBuilder and found a similar error message. We are using Win98 machines for both the server and client. Can somebody please help. Murali -- Differentiated Softwa...

MS Access 97 and ASA 6.0
Hi! We have modified an existing Access 97 application to work with ASA 6.0. The ASA-tables are linked in the Access frontend database. After closing a form (a list of invoices for example) and showing another (customer data) the system hangs for five seconds or so, the disk light is flashing and Access does not recognize any mouseclick. The faster the system the shorter is the time. Any ideas? Thanks! Axel I had lot's of problems with Access and ASA 6.0. With 6.01 the performance is terrible. Wait for the 6.02 just like me... Jose Filipe Axel Siepmann <A...

Web resources about - MS Access 97 into ASA 7 with ADO? - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Local access and transport area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Local access and transport area (LATA) is a term used in U.S. telecommunications regulation. It represents a geographical area of the United ...

Access to private internet, phone records up by 9 per cent - without warrants
Councils continued to access phone,email metadata without warrants last financial year.

NT mandatory access agreements between mining and pastoral industries a "major leap forward"
Mandatory land access agreements between exploration companies and NT landholders praised as step forward.

It isn’t about assault weapons, it’s about access to guns in the first place
... — they won’t even let the CDC research the problem, fearful that it will lead to unconscionable, unconstitutional restrictions on gun access. ...

Now Can We Blame Political Rhetoric and Easy Access to Guns?
Ok, concern trolls , we now know that Robert Deer, who shot up and attempted to blow up and PP and stated “no more body parts” upon arrest wasn’t ...

Hackers are selling lifetime access to Netflix, HBO Go, Spotify and more for just a few dollars
... your loved ones and friends, but at the end of the day you’re still paying the subscription. However, some people looking for lifetime access ...

Pandora CEO: This is why giving people access to music that's 'free all the time' is a problem
... services are driving down music’s intrinsic value by creating a “gray market.” By that I mean a market where listeners can perpetually access ...

District 211 votes to give transgender student access to girls' locker room
... and &quot;gutless cowards,&quot; the Township High School District 211 school board voted early Thursday to give a transgender student access ...

More AT&T customers will soon get access to its fastest broadband option
The company is expanding its fiber-optic-based service, which will let you download an episode of "The Walking Dead" faster than you can say ...

Man Says He Can’t Access His Credit Report After Equifax Sent Him Personal Info For Dozens Of Strangers ...
... from happy to find credit reports in his mailbox that were apparently intended for a bunch of strangers. Even worse, he says he can’t get access ...