Moving from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere 8.0

Dear Sirs/user group,

We would like to upgrade the sybase SQL Anywhere from version 5.5.05
database to version 8.

I am told that the table names we currently use and maybe the procedures and
triggers names are too long; 28 and 16 characters respectively.

That is the maximum name length allowed in version 8?

If I upgrade and SQL 8 shortens the table names, will the procedures be
updated to reflect the changes of the table names?  Or will I have to do all
the changes manually, going through each procedure with a fine tooth comb?

Thanks in advance,

Oded Szpiro
oded@travelcafe.org

0
Oded

From the ASA8 Help file:

Identifiers are names of objects in the database, such as user IDs, tables,
and columns.

Identifiers have a maximum length of 128 bytes.

--
Paul Horan[TeamSybase]
VCI   Springfield, MA

"Oded Szpiro" <oded@travelcafe.org> wrote in message
> Dear Sirs/user group,
>
> We would like to upgrade the sybase SQL Anywhere from version 5.5.05
> database to version 8.
>
> I am told that the table names we currently use and maybe the procedures
and
> triggers names are too long; 28 and 16 characters respectively.
>
> That is the maximum name length allowed in version 8?
>
> If I upgrade and SQL 8 shortens the table names, will the procedures be
> updated to reflect the changes of the table names?  Or will I have to do
all
> the changes manually, going through each procedure with a fine tooth comb?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Oded Szpiro
> oded@travelcafe.org

0
Paul
10/14/2002 1:20:43 PM
On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:34:52 +0100, "Oded Szpiro"
<oded@travelcafe.org> wrote:

>I am told that the table names we currently use and maybe the procedures and
>triggers names are too long; 28 and 16 characters respectively.

I would question *future* advice from that source :)

Breck

bcarter@risingroad.com
Mobile and Distributed Enterprise Database Applications
-----
Visit http://www.risingroad.com for Tips and Techniques
[TeamSybase]
0
Breck
10/14/2002 4:26:52 PM
Dear Paul and Breck,

Thank you both for the fast, relevant, replies.

I also thought that the source of the information was somewhat misleading
due to lack of reading manuals.

I will get the manuals which Sybase UK was kind enough to send to that
person, read it properly and try out the upgrade, using a 120 days limited
sybase sqlanywhere version 8.

Thanks again,

Oded
"Breck Carter" <NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:34:52 +0100, "Oded Szpiro"
> <oded@travelcafe.org> wrote:
>
> >I am told that the table names we currently use and maybe the procedures
and
> >triggers names are too long; 28 and 16 characters respectively.
>
> I would question *future* advice from that source :)
>
> Breck
>
> bcarter@risingroad.com
> Mobile and Distributed Enterprise Database Applications
> -----
> Visit http://www.risingroad.com for Tips and Techniques
> [TeamSybase]

0
Oded
10/15/2002 12:21:38 PM
FYI the Help file contains *all* the material from the manuals, and is
probably more up to date. For example:

Adaptive Server Anywhere SQL Reference Manual
  1. SQL Language Elements
    Identifiers

Identifiers are names of objects in the database, such as user IDs,
tables, and columns.
Identifiers have a maximum length of 128 bytes.

Breck

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 13:21:38 +0100, "Oded Szpiro"
<oded@travelcafe.org> wrote:

>Dear Paul and Breck,
>
>Thank you both for the fast, relevant, replies.
>
>I also thought that the source of the information was somewhat misleading
>due to lack of reading manuals.
>
>I will get the manuals which Sybase UK was kind enough to send to that
>person, read it properly and try out the upgrade, using a 120 days limited
>sybase sqlanywhere version 8.
>
>Thanks again,
>
>Oded
>"Breck Carter" <NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 14 Oct 2002 13:34:52 +0100, "Oded Szpiro"
>> <oded@travelcafe.org> wrote:
>>
>> >I am told that the table names we currently use and maybe the procedures
>and
>> >triggers names are too long; 28 and 16 characters respectively.
>>
>> I would question *future* advice from that source :)
>>
>> Breck
>>
>> bcarter@risingroad.com
>> Mobile and Distributed Enterprise Database Applications
>> -----
>> Visit http://www.risingroad.com for Tips and Techniques
>> [TeamSybase]

bcarter@risingroad.com
Mobile and Distributed Enterprise Database Applications
-----
Visit http://www.risingroad.com for Tips and Techniques
[TeamSybase]
0
Breck

SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere Studio 6.0
Is the upgrade from 5.5.05 to Studio 6.0 a simple incremental upgrade? Can I complete this upgrade without code changes? It depends on the code. Sorry to be vague but that's the truth. It is described in great detail in the Help for ASA 6... ===== ASA New Features and Upgrading Guide CHAPTER 6. Upgrading From SQL Anywhere to Adaptive Server Anywhere This chapter describes upgrade procedures for users of SQL Anywhere Versions 5.0 and 5.5, and users of Watcom SQL 4.0. ===== Most ordinary SQL commands (SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE) will NOT have to be changed at al...

Upgrading from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0.2
We are running SQLA5505 and now want to upgrade to ASA702. For we have several stored procedures that we were not able to unload and reload, we thought of doing the upgrading process slowly, step by step: 1st, running the old database file under dbeng7.exe, 2nd, upgrading the old database file to level 7, 3rd, reloading the database file to complete level 7 features. But at this point, there startet a discussion, what features we can use in what level, so my question is: What features of Sybase 7 can we use, if we do that stepts? What can we do with no uprading, what needs an upgrade,...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 and 5.5.05
I have several queries, all of which involve outer joins, that produce different results when run against SQL Anywhere versions 5.5.05 Build #2787 and 5.5.04 Build #1867. I realize the outer join syntax is awkward and it does produce an error when run against version 7 of SQL Anywhere. However, I didn't expect different results within version 5 releases. I'm going to have the queries reconstructed, but I'm looking for an explanation on what happened between those two releases. I have scoured the documentation and release notes for .04, .05, and even the 7.0 documentation....

Replication between SQL Server 11.0.2 and SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3
Does anyone know if exists some document with the details on Replication between Sybase SQL Server 11.0.2 and SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.3 using Replication Server 11.0.3. I�m having some troubles with this configuration and I�m wondering if I�m doing something wrong. Thanks in advance. ...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 with SQL Server 2000
I am having a problem starting a SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 engine on a Windows 2000 server already running Microsoft Server 2000. Does anyone know of any problems associated with running this configuration or why it isn't working. Perhaps you can clarify what specifically is happening? i.e., errors, specific behaviour, how you are starting the database, can it start if MS SQL Server is not running? -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 **************************************************************************** * Sign up today for your copy ...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 with MS SQL Server
I have a client who would like to run SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 on the same server machine as Microsoft SQL server. Is this possable. What type of issues should I expect. Any information would be helpful. TIA Chris Christopher K. Taylor wrote: > > I have a client who would like to run SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 on the same server > machine as Microsoft SQL server. Is this possable. What type of issues > should I expect. Any information would be helpful. TIA Yes, you can run both of these environments on the same machine. The only issues I can think of have to do with...

Upgrade SQL Anywhere 5.0 to SQL Anywhere 9.0
Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 environment? What error messages are you receiving? <fd1smith> wrote in message news:3f7839bd.7f74.846930886@sybase.com... > Does anyone know of any scripts that can be used to prevent > DB errors when upgrading a V5.0 database to a V9.0 > environment? ...

Triggers in SQL Anywhere 5.5.0 and PowerBuilder 5.0.03
Hi: I'm trying to get a series of triggers working, but am having lots of difficulties. Initially, the following trigger did not update the 'product' table on an insert. create trigger ti_inventory after insert on inventory referencing new as new_inventory for each row begin update product set product.current_in_stock = product.current_in_stock + new_inventory.qty_new + new_inventory.qty_used_excl + new_inventory.qty_used_good + new_inventory.qty_used_poor where product.product_code = new_inventory.product_code end; I tried to put other commands into the t...

SQL Anywhere 5.5 and Novell 5.0
Does any one know if SQLAnywhere 5.5 will run okay on Novell 5.0? We have a client that had 5.5 running on Novell 4 and they upgraded to Novell 5.0. When they have the database running, it is locking up the Novell console. There is an EBF that allows 5.5.04 to run in a NW 5 environment. Mark Black schrieb: > > Does any one know if SQLAnywhere 5.5 will run okay on Novell 5.0? We have a > client that had 5.5 running on Novell 4 and they upgraded to Novell 5.0. > When they have the database running, it is locking up the Novell console. ...

SQL Anywhere 5.5.0.5 and VMWare
Are there any known issues with using SQL Anywhere on a Virtualised VMWare server, especially around replication processes ? We have a replication intensive db that our corporate IT dept want to virtualise onto a new server running VMWare. I need to know if there are any do's and don'ts that we should be aware of. Thanks in advance VMWare is not actually a support platform for ASA. Having said that, because VMWare is designed to be a virtual OS, we should still run within this environment. If there are problems that are encountered in a VMWare session, that cannot be r...

SQL Anywhere 5.5 and Netware 5.0
I understand that SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 as shipped will not work properly with Novell Netware 5.0. Has anyone heard whether Sybase intends to release a version update to resolve these problems such as version 5.5.05? Alternatively, is there a later build of version 5.5.04 which will resolve the problems? Yes, there is an EBF available through Tech Support that allows 5.5.04 to run on Netware 5. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com Houston, TX ...

PB 8 and SQL Anywhere 5.5, SQL Server 7
Does anyone know if there any known issues for a PB 8.0 Enterprise application connecting to SQL Server 7.0? Connecting to SQL Anywhere 5.5? Thanks in advance. Michael A. Falcone iCorpsTechnologies, Inc. mfalcone@icorpstech.com ...

Migrating from SQL Anywhere 5.5 to MS SQL 7.0
I have a large application written in Powerbuilder 6.5.1 using Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.5. I would like to change the database to Microsoft SQL Server 7.0. The app has the following : 300 datawindows / datastores Embedded SQL in about 100 events / functions. The Database has the following: 50 tables with indexes and foriegn keys NO stored procedures or triggers. I'm pretty sure I want to use ODBC and not native drivers. Question : If there a paper that will help me through this migration process. Hopefully I would not have to change any datawindows! I have already migra...

SQL ANywhere 5.5.05 to ASA 7.0
Am I missing something. I installed ASA7.0 went into Sybase Central 4.0.0.290 and looked under utilities to find the upgrade database option and could not find anything. TPS >Am I missing something. I installed ASA7.0 went into Sybase Central >4.0.0.290 and looked under utilities to find the upgrade database option and >could not find anything. You are right, it's not there, but you can run it as a command-line utility DBUPGRAD. It is documented in the help. hth Leo Tohill - Team Sybase >> Please post in newsgroup, not via email << ...

Web resources about - Moving from SQL Anywhere 5.5.05 to SQL Anywhere 8.0 - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

San Bernardino Mass Shooters Syed Farook, Tashfeen Malik, Part Of A Sleeper Cell Network?
Although, police investigators are still searching for the motive for the San Bernardino, California mass shooting by U.S.-born Syed Farook, ...

Marco Rubio Hits Donald Trump Over Israel
Florida Sen. Marco Rubio attacked GOP front-runner Donald Trump’s assertion that the Israeli people must be willing to sacrifice more for peace. ...

Mark Hamill Goes Undercover as Stormtrooper to Greet ‘Star Wars’ Fans on Hollywood Blvd.
Mark Hamill disguised himself as a stormtrooper and took to Hollywood Boulevard to tell fans that this is their last chance to win tickets for ...

Syrian activists react with dismay to UK decision to launch air strikes on ISIS
Many Syrian campaigners have expressed concern the bombing campaign will do little to hinder ISIS while others suggested it would drive new recruits ...

Speccy restores compatibility with Windows 10, supports latest Intel processors
Piriform has released Speccy 1.29 , a new version of its free Windows system information tool. The headline new feature in version 1.29 also ...

‘Batman Vs. Superman’ full-length trailer drops: this looks really stupid, right?
For the love of all that is holy, Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice looks like an exquisite mess. To be fair, I’m sure it will make billions. ...

7 apps I really want to see on the new Apple TV
Theres plenty to choose from in the tvOS App Store for the new Apple TV, but the set-top box still hasnt become my absolute go-to device for ...

Russell Knox three off lead in South Africa
Scotsman Russell Knox three off lead in South Africa Scotsman A good effort for his first competitive outing in South Africa, it saw Knox ...

Climate Change Policy Should Start With Energy Efficiency
A new report explores the important role of energy efficiency in policies attempting to address global climate change. According to Yu Wang, ...

Users in Belgium Will Have to Log In to See Facebook Pages
Privacy mavens will probably be happy with Facebook’s concessions in Belgium , but page owners? Not so much. BBC News reported that Facebook ...