Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11

Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my application
from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file created by
SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11?

0
Jorge

Jorge,

From:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html

========
Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases

If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use
the Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is
an optional step because the version 11 software can be used with a
version 10 database. However, if you want to take advantage of all of
the new features in version 11, you must rebuild your database. See
Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases, and Rebuilding version
10.0.0 and later databases.
========

Regards,

--
Jeff Albion, Product Support Analyst
Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
0
Jeff
8/5/2008 9:11:32 PM
Jeff,

Thanks we are about to rollout the new version of our product and we are
migrating from ASA 8.x to ASA 10, now I am thinking if I want to skip ASA 10
and go straight to 11.

Thanks again

"Jeff Albion (Sybase iAnywhere)" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com> wrote in
message news:4898c204$1@forums-1-dub...
> Jorge,
>
> From:
> http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html
>
> ========
> Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases
>
> If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the
> Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an
> optional step because the version 11 software can be used with a version
> 10 database. However, if you want to take advantage of all of the new
> features in version 11, you must rebuild your database. See Upgrading
> version 10.0.0 and later databases, and Rebuilding version 10.0.0 and
> later databases.
> ========
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Quintana wrote:
>> Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my
>> application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file
>> created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11?
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Product Support Analyst
> Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
> SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0

0
Jorge
8/6/2008 12:35:33 PM
Since some of our customer databases are very large and an unload/reload can
be time consuming I wonder if I can clarify this point.

If I use the Upgrade Wizard or run ALTER DATABASE UPGRADE then I notice
features such as Text Indexing  now appear in Sybase Central and I can use
the new features of v11.

Is there any actual need to unload/reload? What does it gain in terms of
performance or optimizations or anything else by doing this? The help file
is probably deliberately vague and Sybase would like to stand behind a nice
safe corporate recommendation or rebuild. But out here in the real world we
only really want to rebuild if we have to. So do we really have to? If so
why? Any help in making an informed decision on rebuild would be most
helpful.

Regards
Clive

"Jeff Albion (Sybase iAnywhere)" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com> wrote in
message news:4898c204$1@forums-1-dub...
> Jorge,
>
> From:
> http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html
>
> ========
> Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases
>
> If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the
> Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an
> optional step because the version 11 software can be used with a version
> 10 database. However, if you want to take advantage of all of the new
> features in version 11, you must rebuild your database. See Upgrading
> version 10.0.0 and later databases, and Rebuilding version 10.0.0 and
> later databases.
> ========
>
> Regards,
>
> Jorge Quintana wrote:
>> Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my
>> application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file
>> created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11?
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Product Support Analyst
> Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
> SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0

0
Clive
8/7/2008 2:45:11 PM
I believe all of the new features in v11 are available after an upgrade and
do not require a rebuild.  (Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.)  There
are space and performance enahancements related to indexes which you may
benefit from after an upgrade.  See the following points in the "SQL
Anywhere new features" section of the help for more about those:

Main features - Improved support for compressed indexes
Miscellaneous - Index performance enhancements

Matthew

"Clive Collie" <clive_doesnt_like_spam@dillistone.com> wrote in message
> Since some of our customer databases are very large and an unload/reload
> can be time consuming I wonder if I can clarify this point.
>
> If I use the Upgrade Wizard or run ALTER DATABASE UPGRADE then I notice
> features such as Text Indexing  now appear in Sybase Central and I can use
> the new features of v11.
>
> Is there any actual need to unload/reload? What does it gain in terms of
> performance or optimizations or anything else by doing this? The help file
> is probably deliberately vague and Sybase would like to stand behind a
> nice safe corporate recommendation or rebuild. But out here in the real
> world we only really want to rebuild if we have to. So do we really have
> to? If so why? Any help in making an informed decision on rebuild would be
> most helpful.
>
> Regards
> Clive
>

> "Jeff Albion (Sybase iAnywhere)" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com> wrote
> in message news:4898c204$1@forums-1-dub...
>> Jorge,
>>
>> From:
>> http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1100en%2Fsachanges_en11%2Fv10upgrade-up-sql-any-123456.html
>>
>> ========
>> Upgrading version 10.0.0 and later databases
>>
>> If you are upgrading from version 10.0.0 or later, you can either use the
>> Upgrade utility or rebuild your database. Upgrading or rebuilding is an
>> optional step because the version 11 software can be used with a version
>> 10 database. However, if you want to take advantage of all of the new
>> features in version 11, you must rebuild your database. See Upgrading
>> version 10.0.0 and later databases, and Rebuilding version 10.0.0 and
>> later databases.
>> ========
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Jorge Quintana wrote:
>>> Do I need to migrate the database file if i want to migrate my
>>> application from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11? or a databse file
>>> created by SQLAnywhere10 will run fine under SQLAnywhere 11?
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Albion, Product Support Analyst
>> Sybase iAnywhere
>>
>> iAnywhere Developer Community :
>> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
>> iAnywhere Documentation :
>> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
>> SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0

0
Matthew
8/12/2008 2:28:27 PM
Clive,

Clive Collie wrote:
> Is there any actual need to unload/reload? What does it gain in terms of
> performance or optimizations or anything else by doing this? The help file
> is probably deliberately vague

http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals/sqlanywhere/1001/en/html/dbugen10/ug-performance-s-5688777.html

"Putting data back in a uniform fashion" is more related to the
underlying data structures, namely indexes and the data pages themselves.

Indexes are "trees" that can look more like "twigs" in some database
usage scenarios (i.e. a high index depth, with a low density). While we
try to maintain "bushy" trees where possible automatically, rebuilding
can offer to do this for all tables in one shot (i.e. load up all the
data, then create the index on the table).

The data pages themselves can also become fragmented. Again, while we
try to minimize fragmentation where possible, rebuilding offers the
ability to insert "close" data on the same disk page, resulting in
contiguous disk reads (as opposed to "random" disk reads, which
increases disk seek times) when performing queries.

---

While what I've just stated may still be slightly hand-waving-ish, it's
actually very difficult for us to construct a general statement to say
when you *need* to rebuild your database without having your database
in-house and understanding how you specifically use the database.

Regards,

--
Jeff Albion, Product Support Analyst
Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
0
Jeff

sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere server
Currently i am using sqlanywhere and powerbuilder tool as my system development. And i am developing a standalone system. Let say, if i want to migrate my standalone system to client-server system, how do i do that? I heard that i need to have sqlanywhere(server engine) to deploy my system as client-server system. If so, do i need to install sqlanywhere(server engine) into window NT or just normal pc(treat as server). For client-server system, do i need to install sqlanywhere server at server and sqlanywhere client as normal pc where my program is installed? Could someone tell me where...

sqlanywhere vs. sqlanywhere.generel
What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and sqlanywhere.general? Markus, There is no difference. We are working on consolidating the duplicate newsgroups. Watch for notices, it will tell you where the combined newsgroup will end up. Cheers, Jonathan Markus KARG wrote: > What is the difference between the newsgroups sqlanywhere and > sqlanywhere.general? > > -- Jonathan Baker Director, Sybase Developers Network (SDN) Sybase, Inc. http://www.sybase.com/developer bakerj@sybase.com Jonathan, in order to clarify:...

SQLAnywhere 11
Hi Reed; I was just wondering now that PB 11.5 will be shipping later this week with SA 11 included ... when will PK have a new release that "officially" includes and supports SA11 on the PPC? -- Regards ... Chris ISUG - NA RUG Director http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com We are coming out with an EBF soon to support PB-11.5 syntax with some allowances for SA-11. However the _default_ database assumptions will remain SA-10. Regards, Reed Shilts <Standard-Disclaimers-Apply/> On 8 Sep 2008 06:52:27 -0700, "Chris Pollach" <cpolla...

About SQLAnywhere...
Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por each machine for instalation?. Thanks in advance On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 17:45:30 -0600, in powersoft.public.powerbuilder.general Oscar Miranda <omiranda@sia.com.mx> wrote: >Hello, I�ve developed a program with PowerBuilder 6.5 and the Sybase SQL >Anywhere engine. I have a question: Can I distribuit my application with >these engine?, or I have to obtain a license por ea...

PowerBuilder 10.2.1 and SQLAnywhere 11
We are currently using PowerBuilder 10.2.1 and have been using ASA 8.03. We have switched development to SQLAnywhere 11. In the database painter, I can define a new table, but the options to create a new foreign key, a new primary key, and index no longer show. I assume this is because of missing entries from pbodb100.dll. Can someone tell me what the entries should be. Thanks, James This really isn't an "answer" for you, but why not use Sybase Central to do your database management, rather than the database painter in PB? (Or better yet, PowerDesigner......

getting error after upgrading from sqlanywhere 7 to sqlanywhere 9
i'm using sybase sql server any where 7 and by using dbsrv7.exe i'm able to create db. it's working fine. no issues. now i'm upgrading to sybase sql server any where 9 and by using dbsrv9.exe i created db. this time when i'm using sysindexes table of sybase i'm getting error as Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous exception com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException because ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybSQLException: ASA Error -852: Table name 'sysindexes' is ambiguous at com.sybase.jdbc2...

PowerBuilder 11 Install
I use Secunia PSI (Personal Software Inspector) to ensure software on my computer is up-to-date. After installing PowerBuilder 11 and its corresponding database, SQL Anywhere 10, Secunia PSI reports that the Java installed with Sql Anywhere 10 is insecure and suggests updating it to SE Environment 6 Update 5. When I attempt to do this, during the install process, I get a Java warning, "lib\charsets.jar: Old File not found. However, a file of the same name was found. No update done since file contents do not match." After this, Java Setup fails and is rolled back. Curious...

DataBase Migration from ASA 9.02 To SQLANYWHERE 11.01
Hello all...We are migrating our Sybase ASA Database from ASA 9.02 to SQLANYWHERE 11.0.1. Everything seems to be going well except for a series of errors I am getting when I run the reload.sql file from the DOS prompt. I am getting a warning or error that states: "Procedure 'ml_add_property' not found SQLCODE=-265, ODBC 3 State="42S02" CALL dbo.ml_add_property( 'SIS', 'Carrier(Bell Mobility 1x)', 'enable', 'yes' ) After doing some research, I believe that ...

DataBase Migration from ASA 9.02 To SQLANYWHERE 11.01
Hello all... I hope this is the right forum to ask the following question: We are migrated our Sybase ASA Database from ASA 9.02 to SQLAnyWhere 11.01. Everything seems to be going well except a series of errors I am getting when I run the reload.sql file from the DOS prompt. I am getting a warning or error that states: "Procedure 'ml_add_property' not found SQLCODE=-265, ODBC 3 State="42S02" CALL dbo.ml_add_property( 'SIS', 'Carrier(Bell Mobility 1x)', 'enable', 'yes' ) Any clue as to what thi...

Migrating ASA 9.03 to SQLAnyWhere 11.0.1
Hello all...I am migrating our Sybase ASA databases from ASA 9.03 to SQLAnyWhere 11.0.1. I have noticed that I must use double quotes in columns which are reserved words in order to prevent any syntax errors when executing the SQL. This works quite well in ISQL 11.0.1 but when I try to use the double quotes in datawindow object, say: SELECT "opinions"."opinion_number", "opinions"."date_recieved", "opinions"."from", "opinions"."responsible_attorney_id", "opinion...

Update Fails to SQLAnywhere, but PB/ODBC/SQLAnywhere returns Success...
I recently dropped a reply in the SQLAnywhere Newsgroup regarding the question of "Death by Curly Brackets" and am not even sure the problem we're experiencing is related, BUT basically, if we have a variable in an SQLA table of type "char" and then declare an internal host variable in Powerbuilder 6.0, and execute an Insert or an Update against the table, PB and/or SQLA both return success, but the table DOES NOT get updated... here's futher details... Check out the ODBC dump below, is this a bug in PB, ODBC, SQLAnywhere or ALL of the above ANY HELP IS ...

Upgrade SqlAnywhere Server 5.0 auf SqlAnywhere 7.0
Hello, We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. Many thanks, Gerhard You can either unload/reload or upgrade the database. The documentation discusses this. BTW ASA7 is currently in limited support. Current versions are ASA8 and ASA9 so it would be wise to consider going to a later version. <Gerhard> wrote in message news:41e3a189.7488.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hello, > We want to upgrade our SqlAnywhere database server from 5.0 > to 7.0. How does this work? Please help me. > > Many th...

Migrating DB from Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0.2 to SqlAnyWhere 11
Hi, We are trying to convert our application to 11.5.1, which was recently converted to 10.5.2 from 9.0. When I try to create an ODBC driver in SQLAnywhere 11 pointing to our DB from 10.5.2, it says the dB was created in an earlier version. How to I migrate my DB to the newer version. Thanks Subhash The SQL Anywhere that is installed with PowerBuilder is a developer's edition -- you are only licensed to deploy the runtime edition of SQL Anywhere (rtengX.exe where X is the version of SA) unless you obtain licenses for the other components. The migration (upgrading) p...

Can't create Proxy tables: SQLAnywhere 10 to ASE 11.92
Hi all; First of all, this is the first time I try to create a proxy table. I did create a Remote server and external login(all of this using the Sybase Central's wizard), but when I try to create the proxy table I have a -667 error: "could not access column information for the table x". In both the Anywhere and ASE databases only administrators are registered(DBA and dbo), so there must be permissions for accesing such data on ASE. I tried it also using Interactive SQL: CREATE EXISTING TABLE "DBA"."test_pxy" AT 'seicom;New_db;dbo;test...

Web resources about - Migration from SQLAnywhere 10 to SQLAnywhere 11 - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Archives - Caelum's Blog

keynote bingo - Google Search

Datensynchronisierung - sqlanywhere

Developer Edition - sqlanywhere