Is there a size limit on FORWARD TO?

Is there a size limit on the string that can be passed to
the remote server via FORWARD TO?

Is it something like 4K, or same as the page size? (because
that's what I'm seeing)

Breck
0
Breck
5/3/2005 8:20:08 PM
sybase.sqlanywhere.general 32637 articles. 4 followers. Follow

3 Replies
672 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 24

My tests with 9.0.2#3044 it appears (ASAdemo V9 to ASAdemo V8
with either ASAODBC or ASAJDBC remote server types) is limited to
about 1960 bytes.

Some things larger than that may appear to run but the is just the luck
of the (resultant truncated sql) draw.

While I am not 100% certain why (page size is a good guess though
since it was 2048 in the above case and you were probably going
with a 4KB page size with your tests) but for large SQL Syntax 2
may be more appropriate for this.

HTH

<Breck Carter> wrote in message news:4277dcf4.2d01.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Is there a size limit on the string that can be passed to
> the remote server via FORWARD TO?
>
> Is it something like 4K, or same as the page size? (because
> that's what I'm seeing)
>
> Breck


0
Nick
5/9/2005 1:07:06 PM
1960 sounds an *awful lot* like a TCP/IP packet size :)

Never thought of Syntax 2, doh! 

Do you think it will work via a series of three EXECUTE IMMEDIATE
statements? AFAIK those are necessary to run FORWARD TO from within a
stored procedure.

Breck

On 9 May 2005 06:07:06 -0700, "Nick Elson"
<no_spam_nicelson@sybase.com> wrote:

>My tests with 9.0.2#3044 it appears (ASAdemo V9 to ASAdemo V8
>with either ASAODBC or ASAJDBC remote server types) is limited to
>about 1960 bytes.
>
>Some things larger than that may appear to run but the is just the luck
>of the (resultant truncated sql) draw.
>
>While I am not 100% certain why (page size is a good guess though
>since it was 2048 in the above case and you were probably going
>with a 4KB page size with your tests) but for large SQL Syntax 2
>may be more appropriate for this.
>
>HTH
>
><Breck Carter> wrote in message news:4277dcf4.2d01.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> Is there a size limit on the string that can be passed to
>> the remote server via FORWARD TO?
>>
>> Is it something like 4K, or same as the page size? (because
>> that's what I'm seeing)
>>
>> Breck
>

--
SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide 
Buy the book: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20 
bcarter@risingroad.com
RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
www.risingroad.com
0
Breck
5/9/2005 1:22:14 PM
I don't believe Syntax 2 will be as much use to Execute Immediate,
as you may be hoping for unless the entire batch (including the closing
FORWARD TO;) can be passed on the call.   That's because each
Execute Immediate has it's own execution context.

In fact doing EXECUTE IMMEDIATE to do FORWARD TO's
seems like a lot of work but if everything is truly dynamic I guess
that is the thing to do.

As to *that* size, it might sound like 1460 by that would be an ethernet
packet constraint (1500 data less TCP/IP headers) but the 1960 is
tied to 2048 page size.   And it seems to be the database page size
and not the server's one (set by -gp for example). When I try it
with a database with a 4KB page I can get 4008 bytes of SQL
across. There seems to be 88 bytes of overhead there.



"Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__bcarter@risingroad.com> wrote in 
message news:5sou719980r3fdr4emja1g3cu1ek1d0kqq@4ax.com...
> 1960 sounds an *awful lot* like a TCP/IP packet size :)
>
> Never thought of Syntax 2, doh!
>
> Do you think it will work via a series of three EXECUTE IMMEDIATE
> statements? AFAIK those are necessary to run FORWARD TO from within a
> stored procedure.
>
> Breck
>
> On 9 May 2005 06:07:06 -0700, "Nick Elson"
> <no_spam_nicelson@sybase.com> wrote:
>
>>My tests with 9.0.2#3044 it appears (ASAdemo V9 to ASAdemo V8
>>with either ASAODBC or ASAJDBC remote server types) is limited to
>>about 1960 bytes.
>>
>>Some things larger than that may appear to run but the is just the luck
>>of the (resultant truncated sql) draw.
>>
>>While I am not 100% certain why (page size is a good guess though
>>since it was 2048 in the above case and you were probably going
>>with a 4KB page size with your tests) but for large SQL Syntax 2
>>may be more appropriate for this.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>><Breck Carter> wrote in message 
>>news:4277dcf4.2d01.1681692777@sybase.com...
>>> Is there a size limit on the string that can be passed to
>>> the remote server via FORWARD TO?
>>>
>>> Is it something like 4K, or same as the page size? (because
>>> that's what I'm seeing)
>>>
>>> Breck
>>
>
> --
> SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer's Guide
> Buy the book: 
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1556225067/risingroad-20
> bcarter@risingroad.com
> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
> www.risingroad.com 


0
Nick
5/9/2005 3:43:50 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

SQLAnywhere DB file size limit
Is there a practical size limit to a SQL Anywhere 5 database file on NT?. I have a database that is included in one file around 200 mb. Is this normal? Is there an optimal file size? Thanks in advance, Steve Eckert seckert@pacbell.net The optimal size is whatever fits on your hard drive. I had a client with a 4 gigabyte database that ran very well. NT can handle database files in excess of 2 gigabytes, but Win 95/98 cannot. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Houston, TX Sybase Developers Network http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm 200MB is no problem. 10G is the poi...

Samba
Hye, I am using OpenSuse 11.1. I installed samba and the version is 3.2.7-11.3.2. My samba setup was successful. I can view my share folder in another Windows XP computer which is in the same network. Now i want to limit the size for shared folder. For example:- limiting a user to access only 20mb size for a shared folder. I tried modifying the fstab in /etc using quota command. But when i restart, repair filesystem appeared. So i used command to copy back the original fstab file.Maybe the method i used was wrong. Can u plz guide me the proper way? I just want to limit...

Sharepoint Max size limits (database size)
Hi, The call to create a sharepoint site takes a uint, which limits the max sharepoint size to about 3300MB (so nothing larger then 3.3gig). This is a major problem for us, and i was wondering if anyone knows of a workaround.  Eric...

<svg> size limited by window size
Hello, I have encountered the following bug in Firefox 2: the actual width and height of the SVG root element do not grow larger than the width and height of the window (the client area, specifically) even when explicitly assigned larger values. Is there a known workaround for this? Thanks. Rumith wrote: > Hello, I have encountered the following bug in Firefox 2: the actual > width and height of the SVG root element do not grow larger than the > width and height of the window (the client area, specifically) even > when explicitly assigned larger values. > Is there a k...

size limitations
Is there a size limitation as to how big a scalar containing an integer can be? I've noticed some strange behavior and wonder if this could be the cause. What I've got is a perl program that parses a tcpdump file. Every minute it starts a new entry in the hash of the total traffic observed during that minute. I've run the program a few times and it seems to not have data always ending at the same time. For example I know there is data for 506 minutes as the when totaling traffic specifying UDP or icmp it runs this long. However, when I specify TCP the last entr...

Size limitation?
Hello, Does Mobilink have a size limitation or an amount that can be exceeded for synching a remote from the consolidated database? There is probably at a minimum over 300MB of data to send to the remote and re-populate the remote. Just curious. Thanks, What is your device, what is your network. There is no limitation, but you won't have much success pulling that much data down to a hand held device. If your moving data from server to server it will work fine. Are you partitioning the data? -- Dean Jones CEO PowerObjects http://www.powerobjects.com (612) 339-3355 ...

Size Limits
--____JFHGPMOFYAHRIPCYSQZD____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable What is the best way to set size limits on GW 6.5.4? I want to allow 14MB = attachments to come from the outside and make it in. I have found a size = setting in the link config for the Post offices, but larger messages seem = to get stuck at either the GWIA or MTA. I want it to be the same = throughout but cannot seem to find all the settings. --____JFHGPMOFYAHRIPCYSQZD____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____TYJNKJFTNFQUWDEVPGNV____" ...

Limit size
Hello to all, Server = NW6SP3. GW = GW6SP3. Question: I have one DOM and one PO. Where would I limit the size of an email (or stop the email) when sent from one GW user mailbox to another? I have GWAVA blocking all over 10mb from internet email, but my question again is referring to the internal DOM or PO. Thank you to all. You just want to keep one user from emailing one other user? That's not possible really. -- Danita Zanre Novell Volunteer Sysop www.caledonia.net/iris.html ...

Size limit
Hello to all, Server = NW6SP3. GW = GW6SP3. Question: I have one DOM and one PO. Where would I limit the size of an email (or stop the email) when sent from one GW user mailbox to another? I have GWAVA blocking all over 10mb from internet email, but my question again is referring to the internal DOM or PO. Thank you to all. steven, I don't think this can be done with GW 6.0. One GW 6.5 feature is a maximum mail size limit which can be set and enforced through the client options. Uwe -- Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp Please don't send me...

Limitation size
I'm using ASE 11.9.2 on AIX. I just found that I could not create database device more than 1GB on filesystem with error message : 00:00000:00011:2002/07/29 15:43:34.82 kernel basis_dsizecheck: attempt to write page 524289 on device '/devp1/imas2.dat' failed, system error is: File too large There's no limitation if I'm using raw partition. Is it the limitation of AIX filesystem, or else? on the AIX box, login as the user that runs sybase and type ulimit. see if the file size says unlimited. if so, ask your sysadmin to up the size for the sybase user. ...

Size limits
--____ABBVDMZZVKAEMPOAJPTZ____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Tue, 15 May 2006 05:47:52 -0600" Where is the best place to set size limits in a GW7 system? Also, when = exceeded what happens to the messages? Is there anyway to retrieve them = once they have exceeded the specified size limit? --____ABBVDMZZVKAEMPOAJPTZ____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____ATWZKEEACPJLVNRBUKEU____" --____ATWZKEEACPJLVNRBUKEU____ Content-Type: text/html; ...

Size Limitation
Hi, I am trying to set up DNN 2.04 for my company intranet. I am having trouble to set the size of Hosting Space over 999 MB. Is there away to set up the portal so that it can support a large amount of documents. I know for sure we have over 50 GB of engineer Docs that need to be maintain on our intranet. Please let me know how to work around this problem. Thanks, Alan Alan, Set to 0 for unlimited space. Pete. If I remember correctly, setting the limit to 0 makes it unlimited MattMatt FraserDotNetNuke Core TeamLiquid Platinum TechnologiesLoanWeb4Insurance4Homes An...

size limits
I am looking for how to setup limits on attachments, mailbox sizes, and how to implement on a 5.5 system. Can size limits be set on a user by user bases? Can you limit the time an email goes out with a certain size attachment? You need GW6.x to do size limits really Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ ...

Size limit
As far as I can tell, we have no limit on attachment size on our GW 6.5 server. Yet, when I try to send attachments of 15 meg or more (to myself, via a 3rd-party alias), I receive a message from our server saying the size exceeds the maximum limit. Can anyone tell me where I can check and be certain? Thanks. Tim GWIA/Access Control -- Michael J. Bell Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Author of Guinevere (http://www.openhandhome.com) PLEASE: Do not e-mail me privately unless specifically asked. I'm a volunteer, not a Novell employee! All opinion...

Web resources about - Is there a size limit on FORWARD TO? - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Forward - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Vorwärts! ("Forward!"), a radical paper in German published from Paris in 1844, covering topics of art, science, theater, music, literature and ...

Blake Shinn looks forward to Boxing Day and lucky charm I've Got The Looks
There is little wonder that Blake Shinn gets a good feeling every time he rides I've Got The Looks because with her come good memories.

Apple Watch Diary: Looking back at the year, and looking forward to the future
... of Apple watch , Apple Watch , and Steve Jobs . What do you think? Discuss "Apple Watch Diary: Looking back at the year, and looking forward ...

It's Time to Move Forward Through Purpose
Companies today are in a constant state of flux reinventing themselves to stay in touch with a fickle public, trying to keep up with ever-changing ...

Looking Forward to 2016
It's very easy to look ahead and expect the worst. We could enter 2016 with low expectations. There are plenty of negative trends going on in ...

US, Russia look for path forward on Syria in new round of talks
CNN US, Russia look for path forward on Syria in new round of talks CNN (CNN) With their positions on Syria seeming to be moving closer together, ...

Video: How to fail fast, learn quickly and move forward
GE Neeraj Vijay, CIO, GE Flow & Process Technologies, GE Oil & Gas To read this article in full or to leave a comment, please click here (Insider ...

Forward To Politics The Constitutional Way: Replace The GOP
Forward To Politics The Constitutional Way: Replace The GOP

Nico Tortorella Gives 'Younger' Fans a Sexy Reason to Look Forward to 2016
Nico Tortorella Gives 'Younger' Fans a Sexy Reason to Look Forward to 2016

Looking Forward to a Productive New Year
A year’s end has always been the perfect opportunity to take a fresh look forward. It’s the time to set new goals and resolve to reach your full ...

Resources last updated: 12/29/2015 3:56:06 AM