Hung Up connecting to ASA7 ODBC from PowerBuilder 6.5

I am still having a peculiar problem on one particular machine (that was
working) where a PowerBuilder 6.5 application hangs when attempting to
connect to an ODBC ASA7 local
database.  It is hung on the Connect statement and no Error Log is
generated.

This application was working fine previously on this machine (all that
happened is the user moved from one WG to another and Back) all other TCP
services seem to work.

I can connect to the database from the Test in the ODBC administration.

The application can be found in the Tasks list as not responding.

Help!!!

Glenn

0
Glenn

There's really not much to go on here.

What are you calling a workgroup?  Windows Workgroup? NT Security?
NT TCP/IP subnets?

If Win Workgroups or NT Security that should not matter to a
TCP/IP connection.  You might want to nail down if it's actually
a connection problem from PBTraces and ODBC Traces.

Subnets might make some difference, but then moving the machine
around the physical network should that should show a couple (or
variety) of behaviours then you may be able to work by specifying
a HOST= tcp/ip communication parameter; specifying the server's
IP address (and/or machine name).  If you have a HOST=host_name
parameter, then try the IP address instead. If that works DNS is
the source of your problem.

Otherwise, be more specific with the version of ASA7.  ASA7.0.?.????
and if not 7.0.3 you can try ebfs and upgrades to see if that helps.

Otherwise, you may need more directed assistance with
someone on the tech. support desk.

"Glenn Barber" <GABarber@msn.com> wrote in message
> I am still having a peculiar problem on one particular machine (that was
> working) where a PowerBuilder 6.5 application hangs when attempting to
> connect to an ODBC ASA7 local
> database.  It is hung on the Connect statement and no Error Log is
> generated.
>
> This application was working fine previously on this machine (all that
> happened is the user moved from one WG to another and Back) all other TCP
> services seem to work.
>
> I can connect to the database from the Test in the ODBC administration.
>
> The application can be found in the Tasks list as not responding.
>
> Help!!!
>
> Glenn

0
Nick
10/26/2001 9:25:08 PM
Dear Nick

This is happening with a stand alone database on a single machine.

The database is ASA 7.0.2 running as a local ODBC database.

I think it has something to do with ODBC because I think the local database
uses shared memory instead of TCPIP.

It is directly hung on the PB Connect Statement.

You mentioned ODBC traces. Could you illuminate how I could use that to
diagnose the problem?

It is interesting that the only unusual thing which preceeded the failure
was a crash of a VBA application in Word.

Thanks

Glenn Barber

"Nick Elson" <__nospam__ nick.elson@sybase.com> wrote in message
> There's really not much to go on here.
>
> What are you calling a workgroup?  Windows Workgroup? NT Security?
> NT TCP/IP subnets?
>
> If Win Workgroups or NT Security that should not matter to a
> TCP/IP connection.  You might want to nail down if it's actually
> a connection problem from PBTraces and ODBC Traces.
>
> Subnets might make some difference, but then moving the machine
> around the physical network should that should show a couple (or
> variety) of behaviours then you may be able to work by specifying
> a HOST= tcp/ip communication parameter; specifying the server's
> IP address (and/or machine name).  If you have a HOST=host_name
> parameter, then try the IP address instead. If that works DNS is
> the source of your problem.
>
> Otherwise, be more specific with the version of ASA7.  ASA7.0.?.????
> and if not 7.0.3 you can try ebfs and upgrades to see if that helps.
>
> Otherwise, you may need more directed assistance with
> someone on the tech. support desk.
>

> "Glenn Barber" <GABarber@msn.com> wrote in message
> > I am still having a peculiar problem on one particular machine (that was
> > working) where a PowerBuilder 6.5 application hangs when attempting to
> > connect to an ODBC ASA7 local
> > database.  It is hung on the Connect statement and no Error Log is
> > generated.
> >
> > This application was working fine previously on this machine (all that
> > happened is the user moved from one WG to another and Back) all other
TCP
> > services seem to work.
> >
> > I can connect to the database from the Test in the ODBC administration.
> >
> > The application can be found in the Tasks list as not responding.
> >
> > Help!!!
> >
> > Glenn

0
Glenn
10/26/2001 10:31:11 PM
ODBC traces will prove if failure is in the PB code or
if there is problem somewhere past the ODBC driver
level.

End-tasking the app and checking the ODBC Trace log
file should show the last thing recorded is a SQLConnect( )
or a SQLDriverConnect( ) then you know it's a database
connect problem.

Since ODBCADM32 can connect, it would not seem to be
a ASA s\w component at fault. Does it connect if you start
the database first?

Either ways it is most likely you are probably hitting this
due to something the PB Profile is overriding.I have still
not seen anything that indicates there a candidate for a
cause yet.

> Dear Nick
>
> This is happening with a stand alone database on a single machine.
>
> The database is ASA 7.0.2 running as a local ODBC database.
>
> I think it has something to do with ODBC because I think the local
database
> uses shared memory instead of TCPIP.
>
> It is directly hung on the PB Connect Statement.
>
> You mentioned ODBC traces. Could you illuminate how I could use that to
> diagnose the problem?
>
> It is interesting that the only unusual thing which preceeded the failure
> was a crash of a VBA application in Word.
>
> Thanks
>
> Glenn Barber
>

> "Nick Elson" <__nospam__ nick.elson@sybase.com> wrote in message
> > There's really not much to go on here.
> >
> > What are you calling a workgroup?  Windows Workgroup? NT Security?
> > NT TCP/IP subnets?
> >
> > If Win Workgroups or NT Security that should not matter to a
> > TCP/IP connection.  You might want to nail down if it's actually
> > a connection problem from PBTraces and ODBC Traces.
> >
> > Subnets might make some difference, but then moving the machine
> > around the physical network should that should show a couple (or
> > variety) of behaviours then you may be able to work by specifying
> > a HOST= tcp/ip communication parameter; specifying the server's
> > IP address (and/or machine name).  If you have a HOST=host_name
> > parameter, then try the IP address instead. If that works DNS is
> > the source of your problem.
> >
> > Otherwise, be more specific with the version of ASA7.  ASA7.0.?.????
> > and if not 7.0.3 you can try ebfs and upgrades to see if that helps.
> >
> > Otherwise, you may need more directed assistance with
> > someone on the tech. support desk.
> >

> > "Glenn Barber" <GABarber@msn.com> wrote in message
> > > I am still having a peculiar problem on one particular machine (that
was
> > > working) where a PowerBuilder 6.5 application hangs when attempting to
> > > connect to an ODBC ASA7 local
> > > database.  It is hung on the Connect statement and no Error Log is
> > > generated.
> > >
> > > This application was working fine previously on this machine (all that
> > > happened is the user moved from one WG to another and Back) all other
> TCP
> > > services seem to work.
> > >
> > > I can connect to the database from the Test in the ODBC
administration.

> > > The application can be found in the Tasks list as not responding.
> > >
> > > Help!!!
> > >
> > > Glenn

0
Nick
10/26/2001 11:30:03 PM
To turn on ODBC tracing, in the ODBC Data Source Administrator, click the
Tracing tab, and press the Start Tracing Now button.  Close ODBC Admin and
run your app.  Make sure you disable ODBC Tracing after you reproduce your
problem since it will greatly slow down your app.

Also you could try enabling "Disable debugging information in a log file"
(in the advanced tab when you configure the relevant data source).  The log
file may have some useful info in it.

--
Ian McHardy
iAnywhere Solutions (A Sybase Company)

Please reply to the newsgroup, not by e-mail.

0
Ian