How to start SQLAnywhere server w/o logging into server

SQLAnywhere 5.5.05
Windows 2000 Server

I thought that maybe I could get Service Manager to do that, but it doesn't
seem to work.  The DB comes up fine if I'm in it.  I also noticed that after
it makes the service, the parameters get wiped out.  The service will start
up with switches that I didn't enter, and leaves out the switches that I did
enter.

Anybody gotten this to work?

Thanks,
Jack T.

0
Jack

See the Help dbeng50w.hlp...

=====
SQL Anywhere User's Guide
 PART 3. Using SQL Anywhere
  CHAPTER 29. Running Programs as Services
   Adding and removing SQL Anywhere services
    Adding a SQL Anywhere service
=====

Breck

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 05:59:23 -0400, "Jack T."
<71045.3122@compuserve.com> wrote:

>SQLAnywhere 5.5.05
>Windows 2000 Server
>
>I thought that maybe I could get Service Manager to do that, but it doesn't
>seem to work.  The DB comes up fine if I'm in it.  I also noticed that after
>it makes the service, the parameters get wiped out.  The service will start
>up with switches that I didn't enter, and leaves out the switches that I did
>enter.
>
>Anybody gotten this to work?
>
>Thanks,
>Jack T.

bcarter@risingroad.com
Mobile and Distributed Enterprise Database Applications
http://www.risingroad.com
0
Breck
6/27/2003 11:44:01 AM
The Win2k service manager service parameters are not the same as the
parameters for an ASA engine. Therefroe, you cannot manage the parameters
from the service manager.

"Jack T." <71045.3122@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> SQLAnywhere 5.5.05
> Windows 2000 Server
>
> I thought that maybe I could get Service Manager to do that, but it
doesn't
> seem to work.  The DB comes up fine if I'm in it.  I also noticed that
after
> it makes the service, the parameters get wiped out.  The service will
start
> up with switches that I didn't enter, and leaves out the switches that I
did
> enter.
>
> Anybody gotten this to work?
>
> Thanks,
> Jack T.

0
Chris
6/27/2003 3:34:19 PM
If you have a burning need to inspect/change the parameters, they can be
changed directly from the registry...

"Chris Keating" <Spam_Free_keating@iAnywhere.com> wrote in message
> The Win2k service manager service parameters are not the same as the
> parameters for an ASA engine. Therefroe, you cannot manage the parameters
> from the service manager.
>

> "Jack T." <71045.3122@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> > SQLAnywhere 5.5.05
> > Windows 2000 Server
> >
> > I thought that maybe I could get Service Manager to do that, but it
> doesn't
> > seem to work.  The DB comes up fine if I'm in it.  I also noticed that
> after
> > it makes the service, the parameters get wiped out.  The service will
> start
> > up with switches that I didn't enter, and leaves out the switches that I
> did
> > enter.
> >
> > Anybody gotten this to work?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jack T.

0
Erik
6/27/2003 4:37:34 PM
Perfect!  Thanks all.  I was trying to make Server Manager work for me.  It
didn't.  However setting up the service in Sybase Central did the trick.
Fantastic!

Thanks,
Jack T.

0