How to connect DBClient using a DSN-less connection in a VB5 App

I have a VB5 app connecting to SLQ Anywhere without a data source name
- no problem.  I am changing the app to a multi-user environment using
SLQ Anywhere Server & SQL Anywhere Client.  I can connect with a DSN -
no problem; the ODBC dialog screen comes up.  I don't want to setup a
DSN on all the machines in the office if I don't have to.

We are running Novell (I think 3.1, maybe 4.0)

Here is the code for the standalone version DSN-less- works fine.

  RDOConnect = "UID=rico;PWD=rico;DBF=" + DBPath +
"\ricoapp.DB;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DSN='';"

  Set grdoConn = rdoEnvironments(0).OpenConnection("rico",
rdDriverNoPrompt, , RDOConnect)

Any suggestions would be helpful

RicoQ

0
rico

Rich Smoothe,

I've never done this before but I would assume that you need the following
parameters in your RDO connect string...

DBN = DatabaseName (db file without extension unless aliased with -n switch
in server parameters )
ENG = SQL Anywhere ServerName
START = DBCLIENT <SWITCHES>( DBCLIENW for 16 bit clients )

instead of the DBF and DBPath switches...

HTH,

Carson

Carson Hager                     Dynamic Data Solutions
Team Powersoft                 http://www.dyn-data.com
chager@dyn-data.com

            ********  Are You Ready for the Web?  ********
                             www.jumpstart98.com

Rico Suave wrote in message
<509E03DFB7AE3172.9A0769DBBD4097CA.4A04CCFC14A1F2E8@library-proxy.airnews.ne
t>...

>I have a VB5 app connecting to SLQ Anywhere without a data source name
>- no problem.  I am changing the app to a multi-user environment using
>SLQ Anywhere Server & SQL Anywhere Client.  I can connect with a DSN -
>no problem; the ODBC dialog screen comes up.  I don't want to setup a
>DSN on all the machines in the office if I don't have to.
>
>We are running Novell (I think 3.1, maybe 4.0)
>

>Here is the code for the standalone version DSN-less- works fine.
>
>  RDOConnect = "UID=rico;PWD=rico;DBF=" + DBPath +
>"\ricoapp.DB;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DSN='';"
>
>  Set grdoConn = rdoEnvironments(0).OpenConnection("rico",
>rdDriverNoPrompt, , RDOConnect)
>

>Any suggestions would be helpful
>
>RicoQ

0
Carson
1/18/1998 2:50:23 PM
Your suggestion worked.
Thanks,

Rico Quatro

"Carson Hager[TeamPS]" <chager@dyn-data.com> wrote:

>Rich Smoothe,
>
>I've never done this before but I would assume that you need the following
>parameters in your RDO connect string...
>
>DBN = DatabaseName (db file without extension unless aliased with -n switch
>in server parameters )
>ENG = SQL Anywhere ServerName
>START = DBCLIENT <SWITCHES>( DBCLIENW for 16 bit clients )
>
>instead of the DBF and DBPath switches...
>
>HTH,
>
>Carson

>Carson Hager                     Dynamic Data Solutions
>Team Powersoft                 http://www.dyn-data.com
>chager@dyn-data.com
>
>            ********  Are You Ready for the Web?  ********
>                             www.jumpstart98.com
>

>Rico Suave wrote in message
><509E03DFB7AE3172.9A0769DBBD4097CA.4A04CCFC14A1F2E8@library-proxy.airnews.ne
>t>...
>>
>>I have a VB5 app connecting to SLQ Anywhere without a data source name
>>- no problem.  I am changing the app to a multi-user environment using
>>SLQ Anywhere Server & SQL Anywhere Client.  I can connect with a DSN -
>>no problem; the ODBC dialog screen comes up.  I don't want to setup a
>>DSN on all the machines in the office if I don't have to.
>>
>>We are running Novell (I think 3.1, maybe 4.0)
>>

>>Here is the code for the standalone version DSN-less- works fine.
>>
>>  RDOConnect = "UID=rico;PWD=rico;DBF=" + DBPath +
>>"\ricoapp.DB;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DSN='';"
>>
>>  Set grdoConn = rdoEnvironments(0).OpenConnection("rico",
>>rdDriverNoPrompt, , RDOConnect)
>>

>>Any suggestions would be helpful
>>
>>RicoQ

0
ricoq

dbclient
Can anyone give suggestions on command line switches, etc..? I am trying to connect to a sqlanywhere database that is housed on a netware server. The connection is going over a WAN (through a router). I am using the "-x ipx". However the client is not finding the database server. I am able to log in to the netware server and look at the database file from the client machine. I am also able to connect to the server from a client machine that is located on the same segment of the WAN that the server is on. Any suggestions or clues would be greatly appreciated. Dav...

not connected when I am connected

Problem connecting with DNS-less connection string (using ASP)
My connection works if I connect using the DSN, the connection string being: "DSN=SybaseAdminDev;username=sa;password=intershop" but if I try using a DSN-less connection string: "Driver={Sybase System 11}; Server=ISSERVER; Database=sybsystemprocs; UID=sa; PWD=intershop" I get the error: --------------------------------------------- Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005' [INTERSOLV][ODBC SQL Server driver]Insufficient information to connect to the data source. /sybasetest/getDBsizes.asp, line 13 --------------------------...

DSN Less connection using sql anywhere
Hi We have recently shifted our web pages and asp pages onto SBC webhosting. The problem is that we are using SQl Anywhere 5.5 database on our database server. Our various locations are accessing asp pages using SQL anywhere database. I have to setup ODBC connection to SBC site . Currently we are using the following script in asp pages: Set conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") conn.Open "DSN=WestSac;UID=DBA" Set cmd = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Command") Could anyone help me how to setup DSN less connection using SQl anywhere. Thanks N...

Can I use DSN less to connect database
Hi, Can I use DSN less to connect database, like connect to *.mdb? from LEO ...

Deploying ASA6 and using DSN-less connections...
Hi, After much research and trial and error, I have come up with a method of easily deploying ASA6 with my PowerBuilder 5 application (I would imagine all would still work with higher versions as well) and also of connecting to my ASA database without creating an ODBC Data Source (DSN). I noticed that this topic is asked about frequently, but I was unable to find a simple solution so I'd lke to contribute this one. I have tested this method on my Windows 95, 98 and 2000 environments, with complete success. If you have any comments about my method, please pass them along. ...

app.config connection string not being read
I have a Web app that has a UI Website Project and a DB dataset/db project. I am running SQL Server 2005 Express on my localhost for development purposes. I have the connectionstring for the DB in the DB projects app.config. The site is running perfectly on my localhost, but when I deploy the site to the review server and change the app.config's connectionstring accordingly a connection to the DB cannot be established. I then tried changing all the db names, usernames, password to jibberish in my app.config file on my localhost and running AND THE SITE STILL RAN ON LOCALHOST. For so...

connecting using a trusted connection
Hello, I appologize if this is in the wrong spot, but it seemed like the appropriate place. We have IIS installed on one box and SQL on another. We use a trusted connection to connect. When we try an connect to our DB, we don't get an error, the page just refreshes. From what i have gathered, it looks like we are not being authenticated. We have the ASPNET domain user on both boxes and its configured with the correct permissions, but we still can't connect. Do i need to set up or give permissions to another account i dont know about, or is there some file that needs access?-Dev Dj...

Deploying ASA6 and using DSN-less connections... #2
Hi, After much research and trial and error, I have come up with a method of easily deploying ASA6 with my PowerBuilder 5 application (I would imagine all would still work with higher versions as well) and also of connecting to my ASA database without creating an ODBC Data Source (DSN). I noticed that this topic is asked about frequently, but I was unable to find a simple solution so I'd lke to contribute this one. I have tested this method on my Windows 95, 98 and 2000 environments, with complete success. If you have any comments about my method, please pass them along. ...

How to make a DSN-less connection using TSQLConnection in XE2
I'm sorry if this is off-topic. I'm actually trying to use DbExpress TSQLConnection to make a dsn-less connection via Odbc to various databases but mostly to Sybase SQL Anywhere 11 or 12. I couldn't see any other forum specifically for DbExpress. It's taken me a long time to get round to converting from Delphi 2007 to XE2 Enterprise, which I bought some time ago. I was using OdbcExpress before in d2007, but that is now obsolete and I thought I'd switch to DbExpress. However, I am quite disappointed with the way DbExpress is setup, as it seems to lean heavily on an INI fi...

DSN less connection using Web.config file
Hi I have added name value pair for connection string in the Web.config file as shown below. <appSettings> <add key="EventCM_Database" value="Provier=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Ole DB Services=-4; Data Source=E:\web\keydynamics\htdocs\_database\db.mdb" /> </appSettings> On my local environment if works file when the file is located within c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Applicationname\ directory I attempt to access the database in the following manner and it works on my local environment. Dim dbConnection As System.Data.IDbConnection = N...

DSN-less, register-less connection?
I have the DSN-less connection ok with the following: SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0;" + & "UID=dba;PWD=sql;DBF=c:\mydir\mydb.db;" + & "Start=c:\mydir\rteng7.exe -c 8m'" But as far as I know the 'Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0;' requires a register setting, or does it? Can I get around this somehow so I don't need any register settings for a connection? "Doogie" <doogie@anywhere.com> wrote in message news:OWG942%23NDHA.364@forums-2-dub... > I have the DSN-...

REPOST: PB components use only 1 connection from 50 connections connection cache
Hello all, I'm currently investigating a performance bottleneck in jaguar. I've reported this problem before and got some helpful hints from this forum so I'm back for more, since the hints weren't helpful enough. I have a web application which uses Powerbuilder components as the backend. Even when I generate 30 calls that each take 1 minute, the Jaguar server reports that it uses only one connection!! When I check oracle, it reports that only one session is active from the Jaguar server. Now I can just handle this if it was only one session but when i teste...

ODBC DSN less connection issues using ASE ODBC Driver
Hi, I am facing a problem while making dsn less connection to sybase Here is the thing, I shall try to make it simple: this piece of connection string works fine in production with sybase 11 open client installed Driver={SYBASE SYSTEM 11};Srvr=SYBPRD_DEV;Uid=SYBPRDCOM;Pwd=welcomedb1; However, I am trying to setup a Dev environment with Sybase open client 12.5 ..this piece fails with the following error msgs, Connection string: err msg: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified (i tried changing it to {SYBASE ASE ODBC Drive...

Web resources about - How to connect DBClient using a DSN-less connection in a VB5 App - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities&nbsp;have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

Faith: Spirits lift in connection with home
We need to more adequately understand the spirituality of our unique place on earth.

FBI mulls connection between Super Bowl, CA fiber optic cable cuttings
... authorities, who have been baffled by more than a dozen attacks on San Francisco Bay Area data lines, are probing whether there is any connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.