How to connect DBClient using a DSN-less connection in a VB5 App

I have a VB5 app connecting to SLQ Anywhere without a data source name
- no problem.  I am changing the app to a multi-user environment using
SLQ Anywhere Server & SQL Anywhere Client.  I can connect with a DSN -
no problem; the ODBC dialog screen comes up.  I don't want to setup a
DSN on all the machines in the office if I don't have to.

We are running Novell (I think 3.1, maybe 4.0)

Here is the code for the standalone version DSN-less- works fine.

  RDOConnect = "UID=rico;PWD=rico;DBF=" + DBPath +
"\ricoapp.DB;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DSN='';"

  Set grdoConn = rdoEnvironments(0).OpenConnection("rico",
rdDriverNoPrompt, , RDOConnect)

Any suggestions would be helpful

RicoQ

0
rico

Rich Smoothe,

I've never done this before but I would assume that you need the following
parameters in your RDO connect string...

DBN = DatabaseName (db file without extension unless aliased with -n switch
in server parameters )
ENG = SQL Anywhere ServerName
START = DBCLIENT <SWITCHES>( DBCLIENW for 16 bit clients )

instead of the DBF and DBPath switches...

HTH,

Carson

Carson Hager                     Dynamic Data Solutions
Team Powersoft                 http://www.dyn-data.com
chager@dyn-data.com

            ********  Are You Ready for the Web?  ********
                             www.jumpstart98.com

Rico Suave wrote in message
<509E03DFB7AE3172.9A0769DBBD4097CA.4A04CCFC14A1F2E8@library-proxy.airnews.ne
t>...

>I have a VB5 app connecting to SLQ Anywhere without a data source name
>- no problem.  I am changing the app to a multi-user environment using
>SLQ Anywhere Server & SQL Anywhere Client.  I can connect with a DSN -
>no problem; the ODBC dialog screen comes up.  I don't want to setup a
>DSN on all the machines in the office if I don't have to.
>
>We are running Novell (I think 3.1, maybe 4.0)
>

>Here is the code for the standalone version DSN-less- works fine.
>
>  RDOConnect = "UID=rico;PWD=rico;DBF=" + DBPath +
>"\ricoapp.DB;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DSN='';"
>
>  Set grdoConn = rdoEnvironments(0).OpenConnection("rico",
>rdDriverNoPrompt, , RDOConnect)
>

>Any suggestions would be helpful
>
>RicoQ

0
Carson
1/18/1998 2:50:23 PM
Your suggestion worked.
Thanks,

Rico Quatro

"Carson Hager[TeamPS]" <chager@dyn-data.com> wrote:

>Rich Smoothe,
>
>I've never done this before but I would assume that you need the following
>parameters in your RDO connect string...
>
>DBN = DatabaseName (db file without extension unless aliased with -n switch
>in server parameters )
>ENG = SQL Anywhere ServerName
>START = DBCLIENT <SWITCHES>( DBCLIENW for 16 bit clients )
>
>instead of the DBF and DBPath switches...
>
>HTH,
>
>Carson

>Carson Hager                     Dynamic Data Solutions
>Team Powersoft                 http://www.dyn-data.com
>chager@dyn-data.com
>
>            ********  Are You Ready for the Web?  ********
>                             www.jumpstart98.com
>

>Rico Suave wrote in message
><509E03DFB7AE3172.9A0769DBBD4097CA.4A04CCFC14A1F2E8@library-proxy.airnews.ne
>t>...
>>
>>I have a VB5 app connecting to SLQ Anywhere without a data source name
>>- no problem.  I am changing the app to a multi-user environment using
>>SLQ Anywhere Server & SQL Anywhere Client.  I can connect with a DSN -
>>no problem; the ODBC dialog screen comes up.  I don't want to setup a
>>DSN on all the machines in the office if I don't have to.
>>
>>We are running Novell (I think 3.1, maybe 4.0)
>>

>>Here is the code for the standalone version DSN-less- works fine.
>>
>>  RDOConnect = "UID=rico;PWD=rico;DBF=" + DBPath +
>>"\ricoapp.DB;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DSN='';"
>>
>>  Set grdoConn = rdoEnvironments(0).OpenConnection("rico",
>>rdDriverNoPrompt, , RDOConnect)
>>

>>Any suggestions would be helpful
>>
>>RicoQ

0