Help with Possible Corrupted Database

A customer just sent me a database that they cannot start.
This database serves an employee scheduling system for a hospital.
Apparently backup was not working as planned and this database file may be
all they have available.
The hospital is now down and I have been unable to recover this db.
I'm getting the following error msgs.

With command-line dbunload, the log recorded this msg:
"Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version 8.0.0.2065
Unloading user "SYS"
Unloading user "DBA"
Unloading user "PUBLIC"
Unloading user "DBO"
***** SQL error: Internal database error *** ERROR *** Assertion failed:
101412 (8.0.0.2065)
Page number on page doe "

When trying to run java SC, I see, "Sybase Central cannot connect to this
database because it is older than version 6.0."

Using dbsrv7 the database will mount without error, however any operations
from SC 3.2 will generate an "Invalid Database" error message.

The people at this hospital really depend on this database.  Any help is
appreciated.
Might I be able to, table by table, unload the database?  What about the
apparently corrupted pages and the RI problems the missing data would cause
when I re-applied RI?  Might the technical staff at Sybase be able to take a
first-hand look at this database?

Any help appreciated.

Doug

0
Doug

If you open a case with Tech Support they can help you walk through recovery
options.

Robert Waywell
Certified SQL Anywhere Associate
Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions

Please respond ONLY to newsgroup

EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
 choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all

To Submit Bug Reports: http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm

SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288

"Doug Stone" <dstone@res-q.com> wrote in message

> A customer just sent me a database that they cannot start.
> This database serves an employee scheduling system for a hospital.
> Apparently backup was not working as planned and this database file may be
> all they have available.
> The hospital is now down and I have been unable to recover this db.
> I'm getting the following error msgs.
>
> With command-line dbunload, the log recorded this msg:
> "Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version 8.0.0.2065
> Unloading user "SYS"
> Unloading user "DBA"
> Unloading user "PUBLIC"
> Unloading user "DBO"
> ***** SQL error: Internal database error *** ERROR *** Assertion failed:
> 101412 (8.0.0.2065)
> Page number on page doe "
>
> When trying to run java SC, I see, "Sybase Central cannot connect to this
> database because it is older than version 6.0."
>
> Using dbsrv7 the database will mount without error, however any operations
> from SC 3.2 will generate an "Invalid Database" error message.
>
> The people at this hospital really depend on this database.  Any help is
> appreciated.
> Might I be able to, table by table, unload the database?  What about the
> apparently corrupted pages and the RI problems the missing data would
cause
> when I re-applied RI?  Might the technical staff at Sybase be able to take
> first-hand look at this database?
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Doug

0
Robert
4/5/2002 2:54:57 PM
Robert:
Hi.  I think I've tried all normal customer/dba recovery options.
Can you list some of the more robust recovery options available to me?
Thanks,
Doug

"Robert Waywell" <rwaywell@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> If you open a case with Tech Support they can help you walk through
recovery
> options.
>
> --
> Robert Waywell
> Certified SQL Anywhere Associate
> Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
>
> Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
>
> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
>  choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
>
> To Submit Bug Reports: http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm
>
> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
>
> "Doug Stone" <dstone@res-q.com> wrote in message
> >

> > A customer just sent me a database that they cannot start.
> > This database serves an employee scheduling system for a hospital.
> > Apparently backup was not working as planned and this database file may
be
> > all they have available.
> > The hospital is now down and I have been unable to recover this db.
> > I'm getting the following error msgs.
> >
> > With command-line dbunload, the log recorded this msg:
> > "Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version 8.0.0.2065
> > Unloading user "SYS"
> > Unloading user "DBA"
> > Unloading user "PUBLIC"
> > Unloading user "DBO"
> > ***** SQL error: Internal database error *** ERROR *** Assertion failed:
> > 101412 (8.0.0.2065)
> > Page number on page doe "
> >
> > When trying to run java SC, I see, "Sybase Central cannot connect to
this
> > database because it is older than version 6.0."
> >
> > Using dbsrv7 the database will mount without error, however any
operations
> > from SC 3.2 will generate an "Invalid Database" error message.
> >
> > The people at this hospital really depend on this database.  Any help is
> > appreciated.
> > Might I be able to, table by table, unload the database?  What about the
> > apparently corrupted pages and the RI problems the missing data would
> cause
> > when I re-applied RI?  Might the technical staff at Sybase be able to
take
> > first-hand look at this database?
> >
> > Any help appreciated.
> >
> > Doug

0
Doug
4/5/2002 4:48:33 PM
The robust options are the ones that involved a thorough backup & recovery
plan and implementation before hand.

    If you are talking about a last ditch attempt at salvaging the data then
we do have people who can make the attempt as a consulting engagement. By
the time you choose that approach, all you are after is getting as much raw
data out as possible with a big long scrubbing job in front of you to find
out how much of the data you can actually use. You would also need to keep
in mind that there is no guarantee that we will be able to salvage any of
the data.

> Robert:
> Hi.  I think I've tried all normal customer/dba recovery options.
> Can you list some of the more robust recovery options available to me?
> Thanks,
> Doug
>

> "Robert Waywell" <rwaywell@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> > If you open a case with Tech Support they can help you walk through
> recovery
> > options.
> >
> > --
> > Robert Waywell
> > Certified SQL Anywhere Associate
> > Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
> >
> > Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
> >
> > EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
> >  choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
> >
> > To Submit Bug Reports: http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm
> >
> > SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
> > http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
> >
> > "Doug Stone" <dstone@res-q.com> wrote in message
> > >

> > > A customer just sent me a database that they cannot start.
> > > This database serves an employee scheduling system for a hospital.
> > > Apparently backup was not working as planned and this database file
may
> be
> > > all they have available.
> > > The hospital is now down and I have been unable to recover this db.
> > > I'm getting the following error msgs.
> > >
> > > With command-line dbunload, the log recorded this msg:
> > > "Adaptive Server Anywhere Unload Utility Version 8.0.0.2065
> > > Unloading user "SYS"
> > > Unloading user "DBA"
> > > Unloading user "PUBLIC"
> > > Unloading user "DBO"
> > > ***** SQL error: Internal database error *** ERROR *** Assertion
failed:
> > > 101412 (8.0.0.2065)
> > > Page number on page doe "
> > >
> > > When trying to run java SC, I see, "Sybase Central cannot connect to
> this
> > > database because it is older than version 6.0."
> > >
> > > Using dbsrv7 the database will mount without error, however any
> operations
> > > from SC 3.2 will generate an "Invalid Database" error message.
> > >
> > > The people at this hospital really depend on this database.  Any help
is
> > > appreciated.
> > > Might I be able to, table by table, unload the database?  What about
the
> > > apparently corrupted pages and the RI problems the missing data would
> > cause
> > > when I re-applied RI?  Might the technical staff at Sybase be able to
> take
> > > first-hand look at this database?
> > >
> > > Any help appreciated.
> > >
> > > Doug

0
Robert
4/8/2002 2:52:07 PM
Fortunately, just before I was about to start scrubbing, a satisfactory
off-site backup was located.

> The robust options are the ones that involved a thorough backup & recovery
> plan and implementation before hand.
>
>     If you are talking about a last ditch attempt at salvaging the data
then
> we do have people who can make the attempt as a consulting engagement. By
> the time you choose that approach, all you are after is getting as much
raw
> data out as possible with a big long scrubbing job in front of you to find
> out how much of the data you can actually use. You would also need to keep
> in mind that there is no guarantee that we will be able to salvage any of
> the data.
>
> --
> Robert Waywell
> Certified SQL Anywhere Associate
> Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
>
> Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
>
> EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
>  choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
>
> To Submit Bug Reports: http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm
>
> SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
> http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
>
> "Doug Stone" <dstone@res-q.com> wrote in message
> > Robert:
> > Hi.  I think I've tried all normal customer/dba recovery options.
> > Can you list some of the more robust recovery options available to me?
> > Thanks,
> > Doug
> >

> > "Robert Waywell" <rwaywell@ianywhere.com> wrote in message
> > > If you open a case with Tech Support they can help you walk through
> > recovery
> > > options.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Robert Waywell
> > > Certified SQL Anywhere Associate
> > > Sybase's iAnywhere Solutions
> > >
> > > Please respond ONLY to newsgroup
> > >
> > > EBF's and Patches: http://downloads.sybase.com
> > >  choose SQL Anywhere Studio >> change 'time frame' to all
> > >
> > > To Submit Bug Reports: http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm
> > >
> > > SQL Anywhere Studio Supported Platforms and Support Status
> > > http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1002288
> > >
> > > "Doug Stone" <dstone@res-q.com> wrote in message

> may
> > be