FYI - DSN Connection String Example of ADO in VB to SQLA v 5.x as Service on NT

This should work with other versions of SQLA or ASA.

Where there is more than one database being handled by one Service
 SQLAPROD service manages CustomerDB and InvoicesDB....etc)  you WILL need
to user the DATABASE option within the Connection String.   If you do not,
it will default database of the Service will be the first database the
Service opened (CustomerDB in this case).

Here is an updated connection string example (it works)

This connects to the first loaded database......in this case it will be
CustomerDB:

    strConn = "Provider=MSDASQL.1;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;
UID=DBA;PWD=SQL1; _
                    Start=c:\sqlany50\win32\dbclient.exe -x
TCPIP{HOST=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx} -ga SQLAPROD"

This will connect to the TrustOnline database (the second database managed
by SQLAPROD:

    strConn = "Provider=MSDASQL.1;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere
5.0;DATABASE=InvoicesDB; _
                    UID=DBA;PWD=sql2;Start=c:\sqlany50\win32\dbclient.exe -x
TCPIP{HOST=10.6.7.250} -ga SQLAPROD"

Note the password change and the addition of the DATABASE option.

I also noted a marked decrease in time to make the connection over using a
DSN (File or System).

Hope this helps.

0
Trey

SQLAnywhere 5.x with NT Service Pack 4
Is NT Service Pack 4 support when running a 5.x version of SQLAnywhere? -- Lori Shaffer Associated Software Consultants, Inc. I don't know if Sybase has produced a "We're OK with SP4" statement or not. A number of developers using SQL Anywhere or ASA have installed SP4 and have not reported any problems (to the newsgroup) regarding the DBMS. There are some problems with how the install changes things and in some cases uninstalling the TCP/IP protocol resolved the problem. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data.com Houston,...

How do I connect to SAW 5.5 with VB.NET/ADO.NET?
I want to connect to a SQL Anywhere 5.5 database running on a W2K Pro server, using VB.NET and ADO.NET. Here's how I connect to MS SQL Server with VB.NET and ADO.NET: gstrADOConnectionString = "Data Source=" & gstrServerName & ";" & _ "Initial Catalog=" & gstrDatabase & ";" & "Integrated Security=SSPI;" & _ "Connect Timeout=" & Convert.ToString(gshoADOConnectTimeout) Example: Data Source=PSI_Dell;Initial Catalog=BRM;Integrated Security=SSPI;Connect Timeout=60 Here's how I did it...

Connection Pb with SQLA 5.5.5
Hello, I'm facing a strange problem with SQL Anywhere 5.5.5 build 2817. I'm developping an application with PB7. I would like to connect to 2 databases : one local with rtdsk50.exe and one on a network with dbclient.exe. One at a time, it works very well. Local and after network it works If i connect to the network base, then to the local the rtdsk hangs. It starts the database but never returns to the application or to PB7 Thanks Pierre ...

SQLA 5.5.04
We are having a nagging problem where we are getting ODBC queries sometimes hanging, and the DBWATCH utility tells us they are in DB_FETCH. Eventually we get so many that the service has to be restarted, and even the NT server. The cache is 10Mb and the database a little under 20Mb. Additionally, the Windows 95 sessions (LAN based only, not using WAN or internet) sometimes lose their IP address in this situation (as viewed from DBWATCH, the "Comm Link" setting goes from "TCPIP" to "Local" and the IP address goes to blank). Once this has happened, no new W...

Repost
Build #1867 We are having a nagging problem where we are getting ODBC queries sometimes hanging, and the DBWATCH utility tells us they are in DB_FETCH. Eventually we get so many that the service has to be restarted, and even the NT server. The cache is 10Mb and the database a little under 20Mb. Additionally, the Windows 95 sessions (LAN based only, not using WAN or internet) sometimes lose their IP address in this situation (as viewed from DBWATCH, the "Comm Link" setting goes from "TCPIP" to "Local" and the IP address goes to blank). Once this has hap...

Need VB connect string example
Does anyone have an example of a VB 5.0 connect string for connecting to an ASA 6.0 server running on NT. The VB application runs on '95 and should be DSNless, i.e all ODBC parameters are defined within the string. See the thread called "DSN Less Connection using ADO in VB to SQLAny 5.x" posted Wednesday by Trey Collier. Jim Egan posted a sample connect string. Jason Hinsperger Product Quality Adaptive Server Anywhere Tom Iarusso wrote: > > Does anyone have an example of a VB 5.0 connect string for connecting to an > ASA 6.0 server running on NT...

SQLA 5.x and ADO/VB6
quick question, 1. is ASA 5.5.4 ADO 2.5 compatible? 2. if so, what would a connection string for VB 6 look like? thanks, JM. SQL Anywhere 5.5 only supports ODBC 2.x. I believe ODBC 3 support is required in order for ADO to work with the MSDASQL provider. ODBC 3.0 was not supported until ASA version 6. However, you can try using the MSDASQL provider to connect to 5.5. A connect string would look like this: "Provider=MSDASQL;DSN=SQL Anywhere 5.0 Sample" -- Jason Hinsperger International and Sustaining Engineering Adaptive Server Anywhere jeff_murphy ...

What is ADO connection string for ASE12.5?
i have an application using ADO connection to ASE 12.5. i using connection string as following: ================================================================================= ADO = Driver{Sybase ASE ODBC Driver};Srvr=SERVER1;Uid=User;Pid=Password ================================================================================= and i get the following error. ======================================================= Insufficient information to connect to the data source. ======================================================= What's the correctly ADO Connection string? ...

NT SQLAnywhere 5.504 Connection issue
We have a SQLAnywhere 5.504 mult-user database on an NT 4.0 Server that users on the same sub-net of the lan can connect to with no problem using TCPIP. However, from any other sub-net, location, outside of the server's sub-net, no one can connect. The ip address of the server can be pinged from the other locations, however, the service can not be connected. Is the service being filtered in some way at the router? Can it be filtered? We are working with a client and there network people are not knowledgeable concerning SQLAnywhere. In the DBCLIENT command line you should ...

ODBC Connection PB 5 and NT Service
I have an old 5.0.5 application that is running against SQLAnywhere set up as a four user NT 4.0 service pack 4 service. I can connect via Powerbuilder and run the application in PowerBuilder, but the application is hanging on the sqlca.of_Connect of the PFC user object n_tr in the executable. There are no messages, it just sits there. Any ideas? (This all worked at one time!) Be sure you're using a System DSN, not a User DSN. Could be a PATH issue for dbclient, dbeng ... be sure the System PATH is set correctly. On Tue, 20 Jun 2000 09:33:39 -0400, Rosalind Powell <wa...

SQL 5.5.02 as service in NT 4.0 workstation (Service Pack 3)
When itry to start the SQA service in NT 4.0 workstation (Service Pack 3) the process isaborted by the OS and the following message is logged in the NT event viewer: The SQL Anywhere - Parceiro service terminated with the following error: The specified image file did not contain a resource section. What was wrong ? Thanks. Abner G. Jacobsen ajacobsen@interlink.com.br Try recreating your log file with the "DBLOG". Make sure that the path to your .db file isn't too long. I think there was a limit to how long the path could be when started as a service...

Services For Netware v.5.02 Service Pack 2 Windows Services for Netware Service Pack 2
The Windows Services For Netware 5.02 (Service Pack 2) provides a cumulative roll up of updates and services that have been offered since the release of Windows Services For Netware 5.0. SFN SP2 offers substantial improvements to the Directory Synchronization and File Migration Utility since the initial release of the Microsoft Windows Services For Netware 5.0 software product. The Windows Services for Netware Service Pack 2 offers two updates for download: MSDSSSP2 and FPNWSP2. http://makeashorterlink.com/?V689333A5 -- Regard: Joh@nnes "If U know neither the enemy nor yours...

SAW 5.5 and connect string
Hi All! How I can put translator name in connect string? What parameter is? Best regards, Alexander Create a DSN with a translator set, then look at the dsn definition in the registry. It will give you the parameter name for the translator. I think it is 'TranslationDLL'. -- Jason Hinsperger International and Sustaining Engineering iAnywhere Solutions Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer -- "Alexander" <asv@akcecc.kiev.ua> wrote in message new...

SQLAnywhere 5.0 with VB 6 ADO via ODBC
How do I properly connect a VB6 application to a SQLAnywhere db via ODBC? I'm trying to connect my own program to our companies database to get some data out. The ODBC connection called KSRTEST works fine as our standard software already uses it. However, if I run my program I get the following error message: Error -2147217843(80040e4d) [Sybase][ODBC Driver]Watcom SQL rejected connection: invalid parameter Here is the code: -------------------------------------------------------- Dim KSRDaten As Adodc Private WithEvents adoCn As ADODB.Connection Private WithEvents adoRs ...

Translating Exchange 5.5 Assoc-NT-Account Byte[] value in a normal String NT 4 account.
When you use a LDAP connection using System.DirectoyServices to an Exchange 5.5 server and if the Heuristic of the Assoc-NT-Account property of a mailbox is set to 2, you are able to retrieve its value as an Byte[] Array. The problem is to translate that array in a normal string as domainname\useraccount. I tried ti use the SecurityIdentifier Method but it give me an error for two reasons: Firstof all I need to give the array offset as second parameter and I don't know which one it is. The array has een length of 56. After, when I try some integer as value for that offset, I got an error...

Web resources about - FYI - DSN Connection String Example of ADO in VB to SQLA v 5.x as Service on NT - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities&nbsp;have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

Faith: Spirits lift in connection with home
We need to more adequately understand the spirituality of our unique place on earth.

... of Emergency Services) On Wednesday evening, California Governor Jerry Brown declared a state of emergency in Los Angeles County in connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.