dynamically connect multiple databases to a database server

Our application uses embedded SQL to access databases. For v5.x, we
dynamically connect multiple databases to a database server via
dbclient.exe. We call ?db_string_connect (&sqlca,connect_str) ? for each
database we want to connect to. We tried to do the same thing for v8.x, but
failed to get a connection (SQLCODE -75) unless we start the server with
all the databases we want to connect to and omit the DBF parameter from the
connect_str. The connect_str we use is
?UID=dba;PWDsql;ENG=MyServer;Start=-x TCPIP;
CON=sample;DBN=sample;DBF=c:\sample.db"
As part of monthly update, our application needs to dynamically disconnect
some databases and replace them via web download and reconnect these newly
downloaded databases for other databases update processing. We can?t have
the databases connected to the database server at database server start
time because DISCONNECT statement does not release the database from the
database server. The only way to release these databases is to shut down
the database server. Does anybody has a solution ?
0
Mei

I think if you add the "-gd all -gk all" command line switches to the
database server, you will see the same functionality wrt to stopping and
starting databases that existed in v55.  You may also want to look at the
START DATABASE and STOP DATABASE commands as well.

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Sybase Certified Professional - Sybase ASA Developer Version 8

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL

<Mei> wrote in message
> Our application uses embedded SQL to access databases. For v5.x, we
> dynamically connect multiple databases to a database server via
> dbclient.exe. We call ?db_string_connect (&sqlca,connect_str) ? for each
> database we want to connect to. We tried to do the same thing for v8.x,
but
> failed to get a connection (SQLCODE -75) unless we start the server with
> all the databases we want to connect to and omit the DBF parameter from
the
> connect_str. The connect_str we use is
> ?UID=dba;PWDsql;ENG=MyServer;Start=-x TCPIP;
> CON=sample;DBN=sample;DBF=c:\sample.db"
> As part of monthly update, our application needs to dynamically disconnect
> some databases and replace them via web download and reconnect these newly
> downloaded databases for other databases update processing. We can?t have
> the databases connected to the database server at database server start
> time because DISCONNECT statement does not release the database from the
> database server. The only way to release these databases is to shut down
> the database server. Does anybody has a solution ?

0
Reg
2/7/2003 2:22:42 PM
It worked with -gd all and -gk all. Thanks.
0
Mei

The report server cannot open a connection to the report server database. A connection to the database is required for all requests and processing.
I'm not sure what this error is referring to. I've built a report and it runs in the IDE in preview mode, however when I try to deploy it, I get this error message.   Thanks. Doug   ...

Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running
I get this error on one of my clients, although the DB server is, in fact, running. If I go to ODBC, and "TEST CONNECTION" it says OK, and all begins to work within a minute or so again. Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Unable to connect to database server: Database server not running Are there client settings, or server settings, which can eliminate this annoying problem? Our entire website stops working as it's completely db driven, until the error clears itself up... RUNNING ASA 6.0.3030 RT Can you post the parameters you filled in...

"Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded."
Hello Sybase Users, Could anyone tell me what's the cause of this error message "alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded"? Actually, the sybase server is running and the user is remotely accessing the server. It was when the user used the Interactive SQL remotely that this error came out. Then, he also tried to use the Interactive SQL on the server machine but there was no error encountered. It also came out ONCE when 10 users were simultaneously logging on the system application. What's...

"Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded." error message
Hello Sybase User Experts, I like to find out the cause of this error message "Alias is not currently opened. Database server rejected connection. Database server connection limited exceeded." Do you have any idea about this? What is the cause and how to solve this problem?! Your answer or idea to this error message will be a great help to me. Thank you in advance. Regards, Beverly Beverly, First of all, what database server are you using? And how are you connecting to it? -- Regards, Millard[TeamSybase] <Beverly> wrote in message news:3f7932b1.1356....

how to connect a database server with two databases
Hi, I start a database server (dbsrv6) with two databases(e.g. A and B), but I found that I only connect and query of database A, not B by JDBC . Can ASA support that ???? Thanks Yes, you can connect to any one of the database loaded on a server. Example, if I start the server using dbsrv6 -n myServer A.db B.db C.db Then I can specify which database I want to connect to by using the DBN (databasename) connection parameter, as in dbisql -c "UID=DBA;PWD=SQL;eng=myServer;dbn=A" will connect to the A.db database, where as dbisql -c "UID=DBA;PWD=SQL;e...

Dynamically Conect to Different Database in a Database Server.
Hi All, Uses: ASP.NET 1.1, VB.NET 2003, MS SQL Server 2000. I've 2 databases with same structure namely DB01 & DB02 residing in the Same Database Server on Windows 2000 platform. What I need to do is on the login page to allow the user to select the database he needs to connect (To add a Dropdown box and let allow them to select). For that I created two items in Webconfig.config file as such: <appSettings> <add key="ConDB01" value="initial catalog=DB01;Password=XXX;User ID=ASPNET;data source=DBSVR"/> </appSettings>  -------------- and --------------- &...

Connecting to multiple database servers
We are using SQLAnywhere network server ver. 5.5.03, build# 1666. For client connections we are using SQLAynwhere Network Requestor ( DBCLIENT.exe) ver. 5.5.0, build# 1073. The protocol used is TCPIP We have 2 SQLAywhere servers installed on 2 different machines on the network. We have no trouble connecting to these servers from client softwares like ISQL or SQL Central or our own Visual Basic application , as long as we are only connecting to one of the servers. However, if we are connected to one server and try to connect to the other server from the same of different client app...

Guided Tour - Creating A Database
Hi, I followed the Guided Tour at the section "Creating A Database," but I cannot do this. The problem is when I clicked on the Data tab in the Workspace window, the window displayed an empty data workspace as seen at the tour. However, I did not see the "New Connection" button at the top bar as directed. How can I add this button in for using? Thanks! Vy I had some trouble here too. Try this version of the tour: http://www.asp.net/webmatrix/guidedtour/section2/newconn.aspx the iconography is different -- maybe what you are looking for if you just dow...

Connecting to multiple databases on different servers
I currently am using Infomaker 7.02 Build 8046. I want to connect with two different sybase databases on two different servers at the same time? I'm trying to write a query that compares similar data from the two databases and identify differences. Can this be done? Can you point me in the right direction? Any assistance would be appreciated. Depends on the database. In Oracle you use dblinks. In SQLserver you can do it in the sql statement, but I believe the databases have to be on the same server. Informix also uses a similar concept as Oracle's dblinks. --...

Connect to ASA server with multiple databases
Hi. I have a single ASA7 network server running several databases. I can connect and use the JavaPetStore 1.0.1 (most of it) by using these properties in the connection cache: jdbc:sybase:Tds:danim:4297/estoredb com.sybase.jdbc.SybDriver But, if I try to define the connection cache as stated in the sybase.com instructions for the petstore, as NetworkProtocol=Tds:Server=danim:Port=4297 com.sybase.jdbc2.jdbc.SybConnectionPoolDataSource it won't work. It looks like that it is not using the estore db, but other one. I tried adding ":Data...

How to connect multiple database with single server?
Hi, Is it possible to connect two different ASA 6.0 database in the client using the single ASA 6.0 server running at the server machine? If so how? TIA Hi TIA I think you can get connected to multiple databases by defining multiple database connection string , For example if you need to connect to other database say database1 then you need to create Transaction object: example: //transaction DBdatabase1 DBdatabase1= CREATE transaction -- Database connection syntex DBdatabase1.DBMS = "ODBC" DBdatabase1.AutoCommit = False DBdatabase1.DBParm = &qu...

How to connect multiple database in ASA server
Hi, In My NT Server I started the ASA server named 'myserver' and connected the database 'Test' using the following shortcut "D:\sybase\Adaptive Server Anywhere 6.0\win32\dbsrv6.exe" -c 8m -nmyserver "test.db" How to connect the second database 'Test2' using existing database server 'myserver' which is running TIA This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------B29C81CF2E41EE5240293AE1 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Simply add the second db file &quo...

Multiple Connections/Multiple Databases
Okay, I have an application that needs to connect to two databases on the same SQL Server - often in the same query? So I will need to develop a query to look at two tables one from each DB - how do you construct the query string? Also, down the line this will have to allow for different users (US, Europe and UK) to access two databases as above - but a different set of two? I'm having trouble envisioning how to work out the query strings (and minimise them) and if I can get away with just using native table and field names? As an example, my query string goes to database1, how do I re...

Web resources about - dynamically connect multiple databases to a database server - sybase.sqlanywhere.general