DSN-less connections

Can someone post an example of how to do a DSN-less connection to SQL
Anywhere 5.5.03 from Powerbuilder?  (The database is running on a server and
the user connect using dbclient.)

Or, explain why the database won't use the UID and PWD I provide in the
'ConnectString' when I connect using a DSN.  If I store the userid and
password in the DSN it works fine, but I want to get away from that because
it is machine dependent.  I want to connect to the database using the userid
of the person who signed in.  If I take the userid and password out of the
DSN, it will prompt me for a userid and password whenever Powerbuilder
connects to the database, even though I tried to specify UID and PWD in the
ConnectString like so:
ConnectString='DSN=dsn_name;UID=myuserid;PWD=mypassword'

Thanks,
Neal

0
Neal

Maybe I should ask if this belongs here or in the Powerbuilder group

Neal

0
Neal
1/24/2002 5:40:57 PM
Well, no response so I'm going to post this on the Powerbuilder group.

0
Neal
1/25/2002 1:20:13 PM
This is how you connect to access

transaction t

t = create transaction

t.dbms = "ODBC"
t.DBParm = "ConnectString='Driver={Microsoft Access Driver
(*.mdb)};DBQ=C:\Kumar\LocalDB\db1.mdb'"

An easy way to create this code is to create a File DSN using ODBC config.
in control pannel. Open the DSN file in notepad and you got what you
want!!!!!!!

Prasanth
kprasanth@hotmail.com
0
Prasanth

DSN-less, register-less connection?
I have the DSN-less connection ok with the following: SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0;" + & "UID=dba;PWD=sql;DBF=c:\mydir\mydb.db;" + & "Start=c:\mydir\rteng7.exe -c 8m'" But as far as I know the 'Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere 7.0;' requires a register setting, or does it? Can I get around this somehow so I don't need any register settings for a connection? "Doogie" <doogie@anywhere.com> wrote in message news:OWG942%23NDHA.364@forums-2-dub... > I have the DSN-...

How to connect DBClient using a DSN-less connection in a VB5 App
I have a VB5 app connecting to SLQ Anywhere without a data source name - no problem. I am changing the app to a multi-user environment using SLQ Anywhere Server & SQL Anywhere Client. I can connect with a DSN - no problem; the ODBC dialog screen comes up. I don't want to setup a DSN on all the machines in the office if I don't have to. We are running Novell (I think 3.1, maybe 4.0) Here is the code for the standalone version DSN-less- works fine. RDOConnect = "UID=rico;PWD=rico;DBF=" + DBPath + "\ricoapp.DB;DRIVER=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DSN=&#...

dsn less connect
Will a deployed pk 2.5.1 app connect to sqlanywhere 10 using a dsn- less connection like Powerbuilder will? Yes. You may need to use DRIVER=<full_path_odbc_driver_dll> as there is no context of a registered driver name. -- Chris Keating **************************************** Please only post to the newsgroup SQL Anywhere Developer Community http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner SQL Anywhere Blog Center http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs Maintenance releases and EBFs http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm Use Case Express to report b...

DSN-less connection
Can someone post an example of how to do a DSN-less connection to SQL Anywhere 5.5.03 from Powerbuilder? (The database is running on a server and the user connect using dbclient.) Alternately, maybe someone could explain why the database won't use the UID and PWD I provide in the 'ConnectString' when I connect using a DSN. If I store the userid and password in the DSN it works fine, but I want to get away from that because it is machine dependent. I want to connect to the database using the userid of the person who signed in. If I take the userid and password out of ...

DSN less connection?
Has anyone ever created a connection to an ODBC datasource without creating an ODBC DSN? Is it possible? Yes! Kudoes to my friend Jim Egan for reminding me of this a few weeks ago. Here's an example: >SQLCA.DBParm = "ConnectString='Driver=Adaptive Server Anywhere >6.0;UID=dba;PWD=sql;DBF=d:\sybase\Adaptive Server Anywhere >6.0\asademo.db;Start=d:\sybase\Adaptive Server Anywhere >6.0\win32\dbeng6.exe -c 8m'" In article <p2zaQx$D$GA.270@forums.sybase.com>, nospam_d.stockmann@smmj.com says... > Has anyone ever created a connectio...

DSN Less Connection
Hi, How do I create a DSN Less connection to Sybase from VB Client? I tried the following: With ODBC: strConn = "Driver={Sybase ASE ODBC Driver};" & _ "Srvr=" & txtServerName.Text & ";" & _ "Uid=" & txtUserID.Text & ";" & _ "Pwd=" & txtPassword.Text & ";" I get following error: [DataDirect][ODBC Sybase Wire Protocol driver]Insufficient information to connect to the data source. With OLE DB Provider: strConn = "Provi...

DSN-less connection
Our Billing application uses a DSN-less connection to the SQLAnywhere 10 database. Here is the connection info used: DatabaseSource=DRIVER=SQL Anywhere10.0; Compress=NO;CommLinks=SharedMemory,TCPIP{host=solus};Integrated=YES;AutoStop=YES;EngineName=solus;DatabaseName=billing2 I've tried using this connection info in the .ini generated from Infomaker for my report, but no luck. I first get the login window. I try entering a userid and password, then I get the error: "Database Conneciton Failed. Application cannot be run" Error: 999 DBMS is not supported in yo...

DSN-less connection
Can anyone supply me with the proper syntax for a connect string for SQLAnywhere version 5.5? I'd be greatly appreciative. Thanks John der Kinderen sConnectString="Provider=MSDASQL;Driver=Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0;DataBaseFile=c:\MyDir\MyDb.db;UID=dba;PWD=sql" works for me ! <johndk> wrote in message news:C4C1941FE452A39600567CB085256C67.00567CCB85256C67@webforums... > Can anyone supply me with the proper syntax for a connect string for > SQLAnywhere version 5.5? I'd be greatly appreciative. > > Thanks > John der Kinderen Thank...

DSN Or DSN Less
Hi, I am developing a windows based application. I want to know is DSN or DSN Less connection more efficient?. Thanks in advance, imran.U and I Solutions,http://www.uandisolutions.com What database? If it's SQL Server I'd use the ADO.NET SQL Data Provider which uses a variant of the DSN-less connection string and the TDS as its transport protocol (which is apparantly very fast)."Multiply myself 10 times standing next to zero, then snap my fingers like the fonz..." I am using MySql or Ms Access database??? Thanks again ImranU and I Solutions,http://www.uandisoluti...

DSN-Less connection #2
I am attempting an ASA7 - DSN-Less connection through an IIS process. This works fine in ASA5 but won't work with ASA7 ? I know my connection strings are correct, because if I execute the code "locally" it works. It's only failing when it is run through IIS. I gave administrator rights to IWAM_<computername> but still doesn't work. Thanks What is your connection string (DSN-less connection)? "Ray Norrish" <ray@careervision.co.uk> wrote in message news:bZXm$LCVCHA.258@forums.sybase.com... > I am attempting an ASA7 - DSN-Less...

syntax for a DSN less connection
Hi all, for several reasons I'd like to use a DSN less connection to connect a PocketBuilder application to a ASA 9.0.2 database under Windows Mobile or Windows CE. This is the DSN file I use so far and I'd like to replace with settings of the SQLCA transaction object: [ODBC] uid=dba pwd=sql enginename=wim_mobl databasename=wim_mobl databasefile=\NandFlash\f_s_soft\WIM\DB\wim_mobl.db start=\Program Files\Sybase\ASA\dbsrv9.exe -c 4M -o "\NandFlash\f_s_soft\WIM\DB\dbmesg.log" -oe "\NandFlash\f_s_soft\WIM\DB\strtfail.log" -os 5k driver=dbodbc9.dll ...

Creating DSN-less Connection ??
Hi Everyone, Recently, my 404 error pages have increased dramatically and not because of dead links. My webhost believes it is because there are too many open connections at one time to our SQL database. According to them, there are, at times, a 100 simultaneous connections. I'm not sure if I believe there reason (because our traffic didn't increase at the time our error started... it just all of a sudden began happening), but I'll go with it for now. When a user gets a 404 error page, a simple refresh fixes the problem. There suggestion was to a DSN-less connecton to SQL. How is this do...

DSN-less connection to ASA9
I am trying to create a connectstring that will connect to a running ASA 9 db using PB11. I can create one to connect to a non-running db but have been unsuccessful connecting to a running db. I keep getting prompted for the odbc info. I've validated my string using the dbping utility. I've listed both below. dbping -d -c "eng=mark;dbn=mark;uid=dba;pwd=sql" Connectstring='eng=mark;dbn=mark;uid=dba;pwd=sql' Any guidance would be appreciated. Mark What is you transaction object sqlca.DBParm setting? Here is an example that connects to the ASA9 sample...

Database Connectivity ( DSN Less )
HI i have made a connection to MSSQL database with DSN . can we make a connection without DSN . thanks tan ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==--- http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp If the ODBC driver allows you to specify all the connection parameters via DBParm, you can connect without a DSN. I have done it with ASA, but not MSSQL. "tan" <mrdragon13@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:#9rbXaRPBHA.150@forums.sybase.com... > HI > i have made a connection to MSSQL database with DSN . can we make a connection > without DSN...

Web resources about - DSN-less connections - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome: CPRS researchers study auditory connection
For 16 years Kerry Whyman ``secretly&quot; thought she had bone cancer and was dying secretly because she'd stopped telling doctors how much ...

Fictional Lawyers Use Their Family Connections Too
This film character had a family connection to his lawyer.

This Is How Facebook Is Working to Improve Experience On Slower Connections
... the globe, that’s not their situation . In recent years, Facebook has paid close attention to its user experience on 2G and other slow connections. ...

Addappt now lets you block contacts and connections
... gives you even more control than before. New features Block a current contact from connecting if they use Addappt down the road Block a connection ...