Delphi function parameter data type and asa char, varchar & long varchar

I'm currently writing my own smtp email function using
Delphi 7.
This function which is located in an external dll will be
called by Sybase.

I have an issue between Sybase and the Delphi function
parameter type e.g.
when Sybase send a field data type varchar or Long varchar,
what Delphi data type
should be used ?

If someone has some experience and/or sample code...

Thanks in advance.
0
Franz

See and tanslate to Delphi pascal   "extfnapi.h".

To provide values for INOUT or OUT parameters, use the set_value API
function.
To read IN and INOUT parameters, use the get_value API function.

A. Iwan

U�ytkownik <Franz Griesser> napisa� w wiadomo�ci
> I'm currently writing my own smtp email function using
> Delphi 7.
> This function which is located in an external dll will be
> called by Sybase.
>
> I have an issue between Sybase and the Delphi function
> parameter type e.g.
> when Sybase send a field data type varchar or Long varchar,
> what Delphi data type
> should be used ?
>
> If someone has some experience and/or sample code...
>
> Thanks in advance.

The facility is really targeted for DLLs developed in the C
programming language.  How you would or even if you can
do that from an Objective Pascal dialect I cannot say.

AFAIK Delphi supports ActiveX and VBX type components.
This API is not component based at all.  You need raw character
buffers and a way to emulate the call conventions documented
in this on-line documents:

    Adaptive Server Anywhere SQL User's Guide
      17. Using Procedures, Triggers, and Batches
        Calling external libraries from procedures
            "External function prototypes"

Short of working with a C/C++ compiler the answer to doing this
from Delphi may be just be a "No".

<Franz Griesser> wrote in message news:3fd05d0d.6d09.846930886@sybase.com...
> I'm currently writing my own smtp email function using
> Delphi 7.
> This function which is located in an external dll will be
> called by Sybase.
>
> I have an issue between Sybase and the Delphi function
> parameter type e.g.
> when Sybase send a field data type varchar or Long varchar,
> what Delphi data type
> should be used ?
>
> If someone has some experience and/or sample code...
>
> Thanks in advance.

0
Nick
12/8/2003 9:39:41 PM
"Nick Elson" <no_spam_nicelson@sybase.com> wrote in message

> The facility is really targeted for DLLs developed in the C
> programming language.  How you would or even if you can
> do that from an Objective Pascal dialect I cannot say.
>
> AFAIK Delphi supports ActiveX and VBX type components.
> This API is not component based at all.  You need raw character
> buffers and a way to emulate the call conventions documented
> in this on-line documents:
>
>     Adaptive Server Anywhere SQL User's Guide
>       17. Using Procedures, Triggers, and Batches
>         Calling external libraries from procedures
>             "External function prototypes"
>
> Short of working with a C/C++ compiler the answer to doing this
> from Delphi may be just be a "No".

   I don't think things are THAT bad. First of all, I've looked through
extfnapi.h and haven't found anything that cannot be converted to Object Pascal.
Second, there is an "old" API which is easier to use.

   Function to send E-Mail via SMTP is declared in Delphi DLL as follows:

function SendMessage(sHost, sSubject, sTo, sFrom, sText, sAttachments: PChar):
Word; StdCall;

In ASA, declare it like this:

ALTER FUNCTION "DBA"."SendMessage"(in sHost char(100),in sSubject char(100),in
sTo char(100),in sFrom char(100),in sText char(1000),in sAttachments char(255))
returns integer external name 'SendMessage@arctool.dll'

Test script:

%
% % Sybase Central generated procedure test script
%
% % Ensure our test variables do not already exist
SET OPTION On_error = 'continue';
DROP VARIABLE "sHost";
DROP VARIABLE "sSubject";
DROP VARIABLE "sTo";
DROP VARIABLE "sFrom";
DROP VARIABLE "sText";
DROP VARIABLE "sAttachments";
SET OPTION On_error = 'prompt';
%
% % Create input/output variables
CREATE VARIABLE "sHost" char ( 100 );
CREATE VARIABLE "sSubject" char ( 100 );
CREATE VARIABLE "sTo" char ( 100 );
CREATE VARIABLE "sFrom" char ( 100 );
CREATE VARIABLE "sText" char ( 1000 );
CREATE VARIABLE "sAttachments" char ( 1000 );
%
% % Edit the following lines to set the input values
SET "sHost" = '193.123.2.8';
SET "sSubject" = 'Test';
SET "sTo" = '***';
SET "sFrom" = '***';
SET "sText" = 'This is a test! 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890
1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890
1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890
1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890
1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890
1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890
1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890
1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890
1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890
1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 1234567890
1234567890 1234567890 1234567890 ';
SET "sAttachments" = 'c:\Asa9\Readme.txt';
%
% % Call the function
SELECT "SendMessages"( "sHost", "sSubject", "sTo", "sFrom", "sText",
"sAttachments" ) FROM DUMMY;

Sends a pretty nice message with attachment :).

Tested on ASA9; works on 5.5, but character variables are limited to 255 bytes.

Dmitri.

0
Dmitri
12/9/2003 8:52:47 AM
Yes Dimitri is correct about there being an older API.

There is an OLD version 5.0/6.0 API that can be
a lot simpler to use (if you have the ver. 6 docs ... it is
no longer documented  with the change in version 7)

     ... BUT ...

there are limitations. There is no support for any variable data types
Anything bigger than a char(254) is also out.

Be warned though!    Dimitri's example shouldn't work in 9.
=============    It may not be stable since it may be
overwriting memory.  The API is still there but [AFAIK] I
don't think we ever intentionally relaxed the 254 byte limitation.
So Dimitri could be coding to a bug there.

"Dmitri" <NOdimSPAM@mail15.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> CREATE VARIABLE "sHost" char ( 100 );
> CREATE VARIABLE "sSubject" char ( 100 );
> CREATE VARIABLE "sTo" char ( 100 );
> CREATE VARIABLE "sFrom" char ( 100 );
> CREATE VARIABLE "sText" char ( 1000 );
> CREATE VARIABLE "sAttachments" char ( 1000 );
> %
> % % Edit the following lines to set the input values
> SET "sHost" = '193.123.2.8';
> SET "sSubject" = 'Test';
> SET "sTo" = '***';
> SET "sFrom" = '***';
> SET "sText" =
> SET "sAttachments" = 'c:\Asa9\Readme.txt';
> %
> % % Call the function
> SELECT "SendMessages"( "sHost", "sSubject", "sTo", "sFrom", "sText",
> "sAttachments" ) FROM DUMMY;
>
> Sends a pretty nice message with attachment :).
>
> Tested on ASA9; works on 5.5, but character variables are limited to 255

0
Nick
12/9/2003 4:42:57 PM
Hi Nick,

please see my comments inline:

> Yes Dimitri is correct about there being an older API.
>
> There is an OLD version 5.0/6.0 API that can be
> a lot simpler to use (if you have the ver. 6 docs ... it is
> no longer documented  with the change in version 7)

   I was a bit surprised when I haven't found old API description in ASA9 docs,
but it was not a problem for me as I fortunately have 5.5 docs handy.

>      ... BUT ...
>
> there are limitations. There is no support for any variable data types
> Anything bigger than a char(254) is also out.
>
> Be warned though!    Dimitri's example shouldn't work in 9.
> =============    It may not be stable since it may be
> overwriting memory.  The API is still there but [AFAIK] I
> don't think we ever intentionally relaxed the 254 byte limitation.
> So Dimitri could be coding to a bug there.

   Just for the record, it is NOT a production example. I use my DLL to send
E-Mails via SMTP (and do some other stuff - not relevant here) from Powerbuilder
applications. I wrote an ASA wrapper just to provide an example of Delphi-ASA
interaction, and I haven't tested it rigorously. I've sent a couple of letters
both from version 5.5 and 9 servers; version 5.5 has truncated char(1000)
parameter to 254 chars, and version 9 has not. If it is an unintentional
behaviour which may lead to overwriting some memory inside server, maybe it
would make sense to put an intentional restriction here?

Dmitri.

> [...]
> > CREATE VARIABLE "sHost" char ( 100 );
> > CREATE VARIABLE "sSubject" char ( 100 );
> > CREATE VARIABLE "sTo" char ( 100 );
> > CREATE VARIABLE "sFrom" char ( 100 );
> > CREATE VARIABLE "sText" char ( 1000 );
> > CREATE VARIABLE "sAttachments" char ( 1000 );
> > %
> > % % Edit the following lines to set the input values
> > SET "sHost" = '193.123.2.8';
> > SET "sSubject" = 'Test';
> > SET "sTo" = '***';
> > SET "sFrom" = '***';
> > SET "sText" =
> > SET "sAttachments" = 'c:\Asa9\Readme.txt';
> > %
> > % % Call the function
> > SELECT "SendMessages"( "sHost", "sSubject", "sTo", "sFrom", "sText",
> > "sAttachments" ) FROM DUMMY;
> >
> > Sends a pretty nice message with attachment :).
> >
> > Tested on ASA9; works on 5.5, but character variables are limited to 255

0
Dmitri
12/10/2003 8:56:55 AM
I only *needed* to point this out since other readers may fall into a trap
here if they just blindly followed your earlier suggestion.

> If it is an unintentional behaviour which may lead to overwriting some
memory
>    inside server, maybe it would make sense to put an intentional
restriction here?

Note: I am mostly concerned with stability here!  I will start an internal
discussion
about this aspect of the question..

For now just assume that

    - since it was never supposed to work this way (even when it was
documented)

    - since version 5 or 6 would have failed the first time you tried to use
it

and

    - it is only part of product for *** backward compatibility *** reasons

It shouldn't be expected to be needed to work for new development. Nor
can you expect ongoing support for such extended usage in a future product.

> [...]
> > > CREATE VARIABLE "sHost" char ( 100 );
> > > CREATE VARIABLE "sSubject" char ( 100 );
> > > CREATE VARIABLE "sTo" char ( 100 );
> > > CREATE VARIABLE "sFrom" char ( 100 );
> > > CREATE VARIABLE "sText" char ( 1000 );
> > > CREATE VARIABLE "sAttachments" char ( 1000 );
> > > %
> > > % % Edit the following lines to set the input values
> > > SET "sHost" = '193.123.2.8';
> > > SET "sSubject" = 'Test';
> > > SET "sTo" = '***';
> > > SET "sFrom" = '***';
> > > SET "sText" =
> > > SET "sAttachments" = 'c:\Asa9\Readme.txt';
> > > %
> > > % % Call the function
> > > SELECT "SendMessages"( "sHost", "sSubject", "sTo", "sFrom", "sText",
> > > "sAttachments" ) FROM DUMMY;
> > >
> > > Sends a pretty nice message with attachment :).
> > >
> > > Tested on ASA9; works on 5.5, but character variables are limited to

0
Nick

How to convert varchar data type into datetime data type without data lose
Hi all, i have stored date as varchar(30) data type and Date format is dd/MM/yyyy now i have to convert it into datatime data type can u help me in query ?  i have 330 records and each recod contain the Date in format of dd/MM/YYYY but due to varchar data type i can not perform calculation on Date so i have to convert into datetime without data lose. please help me in this regard. Best RegardsRameezWaheed  life is name of learning!Mark as an answer if it helps You can check these posts http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2039108&SiteID=17   ...

What is the limit of the long varchar data type?
What is the limit of a "long varchar" data type? I use this data type extensively to store pages of text. The data is read and displayed on a web site and I've notice that it is getting chopped off. I'm trying to figure out if this is a database limit or a limit to the size of a string in Power Dynamo. Thanks. Tim Wendt DataWeb Dynamics www.datawebdynamics.com twendt@datawebdynamics.com >What is the limit of a "long varchar" data type? gigabytes. Leo Tohill - Team Sybase >> Please post in newsgroup, not via email << Usefu...

Long Varchar & Char(32k)
I have a client that imported data into their SQL Anywhere DB from Foxbase. They have memos that in SQLAnywhere are Long Varchar and in fact contain as much as 55k of text. The data window painter automatically set these fields as char(32k), and PB6 gives a data truncation error when trying to retrieve these columns. I tried exporting the DW and changing the column type to char(64k) or long varchar, but neither works. I hope there is some other way around this. Help anyone? -Shawn You need to treat these as blobs, and use selectblob/updateblob, or (probably better in your c...

Please Help. Conversion failed when converting the varchar value ' & Id & ' to data type int.
I have written a few posts on this project and I -really feel good about the help received so far.  I am somehow getting a conversion error when I submit information to be retrieved from my database.  I am sure this is a simple problem.  The StudentID data is stored as an int in the table.  This is the error and I am going to include all my related code.  Please help me.  Even if I need to just start over  Server Error in '/URAP' Application. Conversion failed when converting the varchar value ' & Id & ' to data type int. D...

Data Types (char, varchar, nchar, nvarchar, ...)
Could someone please help me by explaining which one is best to use and when?  For example, storing the word "Corona Del Mar" - which Data Type would be suggested?  Thanks. I would suggest Varchar(#). ntype data types support Unicode (non-standard characters). So unless you're expecting complex input (or different languages) char, varchar, and text are what you'll typically be using. char = fixed length string. If you create a char(10) field and enter "test" the field will actually stored "test" PLUS 6 blank spaces (4 characters...

The conversion of a varchar data type to a datetime data type resulted in an out-of-range value.
Hi Guys, I've tried reseasrching this problem on the internet without success. I'm UK based and Classic ASP trained but having problems with asp.net (VB) Inserting "Date" Data into an inherited MS-SQL Server 2008 table's date field. 1.) In webconfig's System.Web section I have added the following: <globalization culture="en-GB" uiCulture="en-GB" /> ' so I'm now hoping all dates can be handled as dd/MM/yyyy! 2.) In SQL Server the "Default Value or Binding" for the quote_date field is set to '...

Help : Disallowed implicit conversion from data type ntext to data type varchar,.
Hi all,        i have feedback table with column comments1(varchar) & comments(ntext) ..i tried to copy the content from column Comments to another comments1 column,It shows the follwing error..My Query is ,                 "   update feedback set comments1=comments    "Error :Disallowed implicit conversion from data type ntext to data type varchar, table 'Test.dbo.feedback', column 'comments1'. Use the CONVERT function to run this query. ...

Varchar and Long Varchar allocation
How is persistent storage allocated for Varchar and Long Varchar data types in SA. As an example, if a variable is declared as varchar(32767), is 32767 bytes allocated immediately, or allocated more like a doubly linked list with pre-defined 'segments'. I believe Long Varchar's utilized the latter. Is this correct and if so, what are the segment sizes? Raymond SQL Anywhere stores all char, varchar, longvarchar, binary, longbinary and longvarbinary in a similar manner ... there are length bytes followed by the data bytes. No space of any sort is "preallocate...

VARCHAR vs LONG VARCHAR
I need to add a column of VARCHAR. The data could vary from 0(NULL too) to about 4K. The 4K is just an estimate. It is very unlikely for the data to go above 4K. But to be on the safer side, I want to make this column, say, 6K. or why not 32K. Is there any advantage/disadvantage to using a 32K size VARCHAR vs a 6K or a 10K. What are the advantages/disadvantages to using LONG VARCHAR. I did some searching on the newsgroup but most of the messages were not in the SQLAnywhere group. I found a message that says, NULLable columns are treated as varchar columns internally -is that true w...

Problem with function (Converting data type varchar to bigint)
I get the following warning in visual studio 2005 for this function(bottom of page)."Warning    1    Function 'check_availability' doesn't return a value on all code paths. A null reference exception could occur at run time when the result is used.    C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\Loans\Admin\Issue.aspx.vb    492    5    C:\...\Loans\" When I run the site in debug mode I get this...Error converting data type varchar to bigint. Description: ...

data types comparison; long binary vs varchar vs!?
hello all, I would like to store text (possibly in rtf format) and wanted to know whether long binary is more appropriate or varchar(30000) or any other data type would be better (loading faster etc). Thanks much, Cosmin all char and binary data types are stored identically in the physical file /steve -- Stephen Rice Technical Services Manager iAnywhere Solutions email: srice@iAnywhere.com Certified SQL Anywhere Associate -- Please Post -- "Cosmin Ioan" <cosmini@mediaone.net> wrote in message news:EWtSQ5v7AHA.193@forums.sybase.com... > hel...

Replication of "text(long varchar)" data type
Hi all, I'm having a problem when replicating with a column of a "text" data type. Inserting a record with a column of this type gives following error at the site receiving the replicated insert : SQL statement failed: (-143) column 'o39' not found INSERT INTO "DBA".prospect(prs_key,prs_aanh,prs_act,prs_adr,prs_afw,prs_ag, prs_bado,prs_badr,prs_bank,prs_bnkm,prs_bnkr,prs_bpg,prs_bpn,prs_btw, prs_btwk,prs_cat,prs_cat2,prs_cc,prs_dokc,prs_domk,prs_fax,prs_flsi, prs_hr,prs_kpfk,prs_kprs,prs_naam,prs_pogm,prs_popn,prs_pstr,prs_rv, ...

what is the diference between "varchar" and "char" data type?
Is the same or what? SOTOS wrote in message ... >Is the same or what? Depends on the database server (and the NULL option, for that matter). In general, char is static length while varchar is dynamic length. BUT, it depends on your database server. Your best source of information is your database vendor's manuals. On Fri, 19 May 2000 13:37:53 +0300, "SOTOS" <dim-skou@otenet.gr> wrote: >Is the same or what? > > ...

ASA 7.01 & ADO 2.5 LONG VARCHAR problem
I have a table in ASA 7.01 that looks like this create table DBA.Scripts ( ScriptID varchar(40) not null, ScriptType varchar(20), Description varchar(50), Script long varchar not null, StartProcedure varchar(40) not null default 'Main', ObjectID varchar(40), UsageType varchar(5), primary key (ScriptID) ); When I try to add a new row via ADO: Set conDB = New ADODB.Connection conDB.ConnectionString = &quo...

Web resources about - Delphi function parameter data type and asa char, varchar & long varchar - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Google Webmaster Tools Parameter Handling - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Alternatives to boolean parameters