Delphi, ADO, SQL Anywhere

This combination seem not to work together.
I'm using D5 Enterprise, ASA 6.03 w/latest EBF
On some tables it works. But most of the tables produce a message "An Error
occured". As soon as data bound contols are used, the connection just gives
errors. It seem to work fine, if I use client based cursors. But this option
copys the server table to the local client. This is not acceptable for my
large tables. It lasts several minutes on my pc.

Are there plans to release a native OLE DB provider for ASA or at least to
fix the ODBC driver so, that ADO can be used?

I am very much under time pressure, because I have to make an investment.
Should I buy MS-SQL Server? ADO is a requirement, because my client wants to
have ACCESS tables for some of his clients. I don't want to write the
database based code twice (BDE/ODBC) and ADO.

Any statement or tip?

--
Karlheinz Spaeth

0
Karlheinz

I wouldn't assume that the ASA odbc driver is broken- MS's OLE provider for ODBC has had some
problems itself.   What version of that are you using?  How about collecting some more information -
What componenet is producing the "error occured" message?  Somewhere there must be more detail about
that error. Perhaps you could run an ODBC trace.  Can you determine what it is about the problem
tables that causes a failure?  A certain data type, perhaps?  A certain max column length?

I have heard that Sybase plans to develop a native OLE provider for ASA, but I don't know when.  I
wouldn't expect it before ASA7.

>This combination seem not to work together.
>I'm using D5 Enterprise, ASA 6.03 w/latest EBF
>On some tables it works. But most of the tables produce a message "An Error
>occured". As soon as data bound contols are used, the connection just gives
>errors. It seem to work fine, if I use client based cursors. But this option
>copys the server table to the local client. This is not acceptable for my
>large tables. It lasts several minutes on my pc.

>Are there plans to release a native OLE DB provider for ASA or at least to
>fix the ODBC driver so, that ADO can be used?

>I am very much under time pressure, because I have to make an investment.
>Should I buy MS-SQL Server? ADO is a requirement, because my client wants to
>have ACCESS tables for some of his clients. I don't want to write the
>database based code twice (BDE/ODBC) and ADO.

>Any statement or tip?

>--
>Karlheinz Spaeth

Leo Tohill - Team Sybase
>> Please post in newsgroup, not via email <<
0
leotohill

Has anyone tried Delphi + ADO + SQL Anywhere?
Good morning, Has anyone tried using Delphi 5 with the ADO components hitting SQL Anywhere? What was your experience? TIA -- Mr. John A. Jackson President & CEO LWE Research, Inc. www.lweresearch.com John, I am currently using ADO with C++ Builder 5 enterprise hitting SQL Anywhere Studio 6.0.3 with no problems whatsoever. Neo Mr. John A. Jackson <info@lweresearch.com> wrote in message news:OKnZFeihAHA.87@forums.sybase.com... > Good morning, > > Has anyone tried using Delphi 5 with the ADO components hitting SQL > Anywhere? What was you...

Delphi Paradox to Delphi SQL Anywhere
I need to convert a Delphi 3 app from Paradox tables to something more flexible/powerful. My app creates a limited number of complex transactions ( i.e. 200 to 300 transactions per month - each transaction has 300 to 400 fields in the primary file and links to about a dozen support files. What programming issues should I watch for in this conversion ( i.e. is using quicken style incremental search combo boxes a problem due to network traffic, etc. ) ??? What would be the conversion steps/Issues involved with this process ??? Obviously tables/relationships need to be created a...

SQL Anywhere and ADO
Hi Does anybody have experience with SQL Anywhere and ADO? What do I have to change, that my application works? Patrick We have used MSADO 1.5 with SQL Anywhere and VB 5.0. We have a PB 5.0 app that uses SQL Anywhere and we wrote a companion app in VB and used ADO succesfully. IMHO, PB is still better at doing database stuff, but the VB/ADO solution worked for what we needed. The only problems we had were with the GetChunk functions for BLOBs. What are your questions? Dave Patrick Schumacher wrote in message ... >Hi > >Does anybody have experience wi...

SQL Anywhere, ASA and SQL Anywhere Studio.
Hello, I will want understand the history of the products names SQL Anywhere, ASA and SQL Anywhere Studio. Is an evolution of same product? Previously these exists Sybase SQL Server? Sybase SQL Server is the product what has been involved in project with Microsoft, what result in MS SQL Server? Thanks very much. Renato Cramer. <Renato Cramer> wrote: > I will want understand the history of the products names SQL > Anywhere, ASA and SQL Anywhere Studio. Watcom SQL -> Sybase SQL Anywhere -> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere. > Is an evolution of sa...

Delphi and SQL Anywhere
I'm using a TStoredProc in Delphi 3.0 to work with stored procedures in SQL Anywhere 5.5.04. I get mismatch errors when I activate the TStoredProc at design time as it does not sucessfully bind the correct input and output parameters. I have a work around using a TQuery and the CALL statement, but does anyone know of a third party component that gets around this? <<I have a work around using a TQuery and the CALL statement, but does anyone know of a third party component that gets around this?>> www.odbcexpress.com has a TOEDataSet that has a storedprocedure proper...

help document engine for SQL Anywhere 6/general information on Anywhere 6?
I'm wondering what the help engine will be for SQL Anywhere 6--will it be HTML Help like MS SQL Server, or standard HTML-based online docs? Also, is there a section of the Sybase web site which previews any of the features of Anywhere 6? I can't seem to find any information on this. Thanks, Mairi Reyer >I'm wondering what the help engine will be for SQL Anywhere 6--will it >be HTML Help like MS SQL Server, or standard HTML-based online docs? I haven't heard anything about that. >Also, is there a section of the Sybase web site which previews any of...

any difference between sql anywhere and sql anywhere studio
Is there any difference between sql anywhere and sql anywhere studio? Thanks. >Is there any difference between sql anywhere and sql anywhere studio? The answer depends upon the context of the question. Years ago, "sql anywhere" referred to the DBMS that is now known as Adaptive Server Anywhere. Now, "sql anywhere" can mean a general reference to a set of products that includes ASA, as well as some other things. "sql anywhere studio" is a particular bundling of these products. Still, sometimes when people refer to "sql anywhere" t...

SQL Anywhere 9 / SQL Anywhere 11
Sybase 9.0.2.3534 Using Mobilink we are looking to synchronize a SQL Anywhere 9.0.2.3534 db with a SQL Anywhere 11 consolidated db, are there certain arguments I need to add to the server and client execution lines? Also, will SQL Anywhere 9 db work with SQL Anywhere 11 db via Remote Servers? Are there special parameters required? Thanks To synchronize a 9.0.2 client with an 11.0.1 MobiLink server you will need to use the -xo switch. -xo switch: http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1101en/mlserver_en11/ml-syncserver-xo.html The remainder of the MobiLink switches will be specif...

SQL Anywhere and Delphi
How well do SQL Anywhere and Delphi interact? I have the professional version of Delphi and have to decide on a db to use. Any insight would be appreciated, Thanks don Don, I have been using these two for 1 year and a half, and I can tell you that I'm pretty happy with my choice. My best regards, Mauro Botelho Don escreveu na mensagem <34D07B19.13BA90B6@ibm.net_noSpamForMe>... >How well do SQL Anywhere and Delphi interact? I have the professional >version of Delphi and have to decide on a db to use. Any insight would >be appreciated, > ...

Having SQL Anywhere 10 and SQL Anywhere 11 on the same machine
Hi Everyone, I have one customer that runs SQL Anywhere 10 and another customer running SQL Anywhere 11. This means I need to run both versions. I do not have the luxury of running multiple VMs on my laptop. I am wondering if anyone out there has experience on how to do this? Appreciate if any info can be shared! Thanks! YM. In article <e486d794-5fa5-4ae4-9f7b- d5e43689608a@w6g2000yqw.googlegroups.com>, yusuf.mai@gmail.com says... > Hi Everyone, > > I have one customer that runs SQL Anywhere 10 and another customer > running SQL Anywhere 11. This mean...

SQL Anywhere for QNX -> SQL Anywhere for NT
Hello! I have a system (local server with http-server and Sybase SQL Anywhere) on QNX - several cgi-programs written on Watcom C with embedded SQL. Now I want to try to move all programs to Win NT. But I don't have time to entirely rewrite all the programs. Also currently I don't have opportunity to try SQL Anywhere for NT. So before I begin to experiment I want to ask some questions. First of all, I want to try to recompile all my cgi-programs with Watcom C for DOS using SQL Anywhere for NT sql-preprocessor. (btw, I don't use any qnx-specific functions in my programs). ...

Upgrading from SQL Anywhere 8 to SQL Anywhere 11
I am upgrading from SQL Anywhere 8 to SQL Anywhere 11. I am using the "Unload" wizard in Sybase Central. I am choosing the option "Unload and reload into a new database." After following the wizard, the new database does get created BUT it won't load the structure and data from the old database into the newly created database. I get a *** User Authentication Failed *** message. Any ideas? Thank you, Rommel Rommel, I assume you're using the OEM version of our v11 software? In this scenario, the message means that you're running a non-auth...

SQL Anywhere and Delphi TStoredProcs
I am experiencing problems using a TStoredProc with SQL Anywhere 5.5.04. I cannot bind parameters at design time. This is a known problem. Has anybody found a workaround. Ramesh Yadav. Do you happen to have a case number for the known problem so we can check the background? Thanks, -- Robert Waywell Sybase Please respond to newsgroups Ramesh Yadav wrote in message <3678614F.401A@roomuw.co.uk>... >I am experiencing problems using a TStoredProc with SQL Anywhere 5.5.04. >I cannot bind parameters at design time. This is a known problem. Has >anybody found a w...

Delphi Sample for SQL Anywhere
SQL Anywhere has some nice sample code for using the WSQL HLI in Visual Basic. Is there a similar sample for Delphi? Ty Tabernik Ridgewood Resource Group, Inc. You could take the easy way out and purchase Titan SQLAnywhere for Delphi. This is a superb encapsulation of the HLI written in Delphi that simply compiles into your program. It eliminates the need for both BDE and ODBC. And I don't have to tell you it's FAST. http://www.reggatta.com If you do go this route, keep in touch. I'd like to start a support group for Delphi, SQLAnywhere, and Titan ...

Web resources about - Delphi, ADO, SQL Anywhere - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

CNN's Jeff Zucker: TV news has to be all-in on San Bernardino shooting coverage to compete
Network TV news is working overtime to cover the San Bernardino shooting rampage. ABC, CBS and NBC all provided several hours of continuous ...

Mark Hamill goes undercover and meets unsuspecting Star Wars fans
Mark Hamill has accepted a new role: Stormtrooper. In order to raise awareness for Force for Change , a charitable organization from Star Wars ...

Report: YouTube Red is seeking streaming rights for movies and TV shows
LOS ANGELES — Looks like YouTubers may not be the only ones who will have content available on the streaming service YouTube Red The Google-owned ...

UK bombs Syrian oil field after MPs vote for strikes
Britain joined the US-led bombing campaign over Syria on Thursday, hitting an oil field held by Islamic State jihadists just hours after a decisive ...

Meet the 15-year-old creator of "The Last Message Received" Tumblr
Emily Trunko, 15, lives in Copley, Ohio. She is the creator of The Last Message Received , a Tumblr that posts screenshots of final text messages ...

New ‘Batman v. Superman’ trailer has a wonderful surprise at the end
Wowser, does this movie look like a winner. Of course, it’s Batman (Ben Affleck) vs. Superman (Henry Cavill), and there is a lot of posturing ...

Google makes big clean energy purchase to power data centers
Powering Google's online empire takes a lot of energy, and the company wants to use all clean sources to run its data centers by 2025. The company ...

Pentagon chief to military: Open all combat jobs to women
WASHINGTON (AP) — Defense Secretary Ash Carter on Thursday ordered the military to open all combat jobs to women, rebuffing requests by the Marine ...

Hawaii Supreme Court pulls construction permit for one of the world's largest telescopes
A long-awaited Hawaii Supreme Court ruling Wednesday invalidating a construction permit for what would be one of the world's largest telescopes ...

The Latest: Officer testifies about van safety at Gray trial
BALTIMORE (AP) — The latest on the trial of a police officer accused in the death of Freddie Gray, a 25-year-old black man who suffered a spinal ...