Delphi + Long Binary + ADO

How can I update a long binary field in an ASA6 database using Delphi + ADO
(not ADOExpress)?  I have the blob in a string, but when trying to update
the field, I get an "invalid variant conversion" error.

If I re-type the field to a long varchar, the update seems to work, but I
concerned that this may be affected by code page selection.  Do I have to
worry about raw bytes written to a long varchar not coming back in exactly
the same form?

0
Grinder

From the database side of things, a LONG VARCHAR and LONG BINARY should be
treated exactly the same way.  I might try posting this question to a Delphi
newsgroup.

--
Reg Domaratzki, Sybase iAnywhere Solutions
Certified SQL Anywhere Associate

ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
   -> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
   -> Set "Platform Preview" and "Time Frame" to ALL and click "GO"

"Grinder" <no.spam@no.spam.spam.spam.net> wrote in message
> How can I update a long binary field in an ASA6 database using Delphi +
ADO
> (not ADOExpress)?  I have the blob in a string, but when trying to update
> the field, I get an "invalid variant conversion" error.
>
> If I re-type the field to a long varchar, the update seems to work, but I
> concerned that this may be affected by code page selection.  Do I have to
> worry about raw bytes written to a long varchar not coming back in exactly
> the same form?

0
Reg
4/23/2001 12:51:14 PM
> From the database side of things, a LONG VARCHAR and LONG
BINARY should be
> treated exactly the same way.

What is the difference between these fields--just the name?  I
got the impression that there
is at least some variation in the way that these fields are
handled in comparisons.

>  I might try posting this question to a Delphi newsgroup.

so far--no takers at borland.public.delphi.database.ado--it
seems like the perfect place...

0
Jon

Saving LONG BINARY (BLOBS) with Delphi
Anyone, I'm using SQLAnywhere 5.x and Delphi as my front end. I want to save exe files in the database in a LONG BINARY column. Loading the exe into a blob variable is not a problem, but when I try to post my changes I get some kind of size error. If you have every saved an exe in the database I would appreciate any help. Thanks, Joseph V. Puccia Check out the following white paper on the Sybase Web Site. It deals with ASA and Delphi, and contains examples for using blobs in Delphi with the BDE and several other alternatives. http://www.sybase.com/detail/1...

Inserting data into a long binary with a Delphi TBlobField looses information after Post
Inserting approx 18k of binary data into a long binary field using Delphi 3 results in a loss of approx. 8k of data. A TBlobField is used to represent the SQLAny long binary field. using the object's LoadFromStream method I move the data into to field and check the object's BlobSize property. It returns approx. 18k. Immediately aftering calling the the BlobField's post method, another evaluation of BlobSize returns approx. 10k. This does not occur with all files. Is there something in the file equal to SQLAny termination code? Is there any way to explicitly set the size ...

Long varchar and long binary problem on Java
Now, how about this: ASA: 7.0.1.918 MobiLink: 7.0.1.918 Ulgen: 7.0.1.918 Platform: Java 1.1, persistent UltraLite database In the consolidated database, I have defined the following table: create table SchematAnkiety ( ID bigint not null, IDKonfiguracja bigint, nazwa varchar(250) not null, definicja long varchar not null, status bit not null default 0, czasAktualizacji timestamp not null, primary key (ID) ); The UltraLite database in Java has been generated accordingly using ulgen (there are some 30 tables beside this one). The Mo...

Long varchar or Long binary to save text......
Hello i have in my application a table with a "long varchar"-column - the user can write text (text only) in an datawindow-column and save it to db. now i want to enlarge the writing-modul with the RTE-control --> my question: should i exchange the text-column-property to a "long binary"-typ???? or can i save the RTE-input to the long varchar-column?? thank's for help Michael E. What dababase and version are you using? -- PB9.01.7236 Thank you, R.Chauvin "M.Erlinger" <michael.erlinger@vienna.at> wrote in message news:4...

Delphi 6 to Delphi 2010 upgrade and ADO

embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general
Hello! is the embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general forum working? Suddenly I can't post anything to it with Thunderbird Thanks! Sergio sergio wrote: > Hello! is the embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general forum > working? Suddenly I can't post anything to it with Thunderbird Works fine for me. -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) On 27/02/2014 05:48 p.m., Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote: > sergio wrote: > >> Hello! is the embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general forum >> working? Suddenly I can't post anything to it wit...

delphi.general
Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can't read the group *embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general* Does anybody know if there's something wrong with it? Or maybe is my reader? (Thunderbird) I get this messagge when I try to read the latest messages: Error! newsgroup server responded:no such article found Perhaps the article has expired <692702@forums.embarcadero.com> (33145) Click here to remove all expired articles sergio wrote: > Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can'...

How long is too long?
I was at my in-laws one evening for dinner and used her Fujitsu laptop. I checked my email and looked a couple of things up on eBay and put it down. She started to use it about 20 minutes later and it was totally hung. I told her reboot it and when she did it failed to boot. A thus started this journey. I took the laptop to my house because I have a trusted copy of Spinrite there. I started it and let it run ... After about 3 weeks it was hung at 7% and I was about to throw in the towel, but one morning I checked and it was slowly working its way towards the end. I had the s...

Delphi and SQLanywhere

What generals generally do

long binary
Hi, I have an SQLAnywhere table with a long binary column. This is updated from a blob variable, containing a large textfile. My problem is that this datatype exhibits strange behavior. When I try to select it back into a blob variable I get an out of memory error. I am using PB6.5 Any suggestions? Thanks, Mel Do you use the updateblob and selectblob functions ? What version of ASA are you using? BTW, there is a maintenance release 6.5.1 available.... HTH ------- Met vriendelijke groet - Eric Aling [TeamSybase], AINO, The Netherlands Eric's Home & PB Si...

Long Binary
hi, iv' e seen that UltraLite supports the Long Binary DataType. how much bytes can i save into that field? is it restricted under Pocket PC ? regards , stephan Stephan Ahlf wrote: > hi, > > iv' e seen that UltraLite supports the Long Binary DataType. > how much bytes can i save into that field? is it restricted under Pocket PC > ? > Please always include the version and build number of ASA that you are using (e.g. use the command "dbeng8 -v") Doing a search in the ASA 8.0.x online docs for "ultralite binary size limit...

Web resources about - Delphi + Long Binary + ADO - sybase.sqlanywhere.general