Database File Version vs Database Engine Version

Hi.  I was recently visiting a customer site and noticed, from Sybase
Central, that the customer's database file displayed a 5.x version number,
even though the ASA engine was version 7.0.2.

This customer is running our pb6.5 / ASA 7 application under Citrix and is
having problems which are not appearing at other customer sites.  I would
like to rule-out any possibility of these problems being generated by our
application.

Has anyone eliminated problems by upgrading the database file to the same
version as the database engine?

Does Sybase recommend that the file be kept "current" with the engine?

Thanks,
Doug

0
Doug

see the answers below.

Cheers,

Hartmut Branz
Sybase Product Support Engineering
Adaptive Server Anywhere

Doug Stone wrote:

> Hi.  I was recently visiting a customer site and noticed, from Sybase
> Central, that the customer's database file displayed a 5.x version number,
> even though the ASA engine was version 7.0.2.
>
> This customer is running our pb6.5 / ASA 7 application under Citrix and is
> having problems which are not appearing at other customer sites.  I would
> like to rule-out any possibility of these problems being generated by our
> application.
>
> Has anyone eliminated problems by upgrading the database file to the same
> version as the database engine?

There are some cases where dbupgrad.exe failed while converting.
By the way, to check the db file version you can check the database_version
field
of the sysinfo table. Number 35 means version 5.5.x.

> Does Sybase recommend that the file be kept "current" with the engine?

You only need to upgrade if you need new features of the new version.

> Thanks,
> Doug

0
Hartmut

in general the database file version and the engine (software) version do not
have a one to one
mapping. The database file version shows the engine what features are supported
by the
db file (e.g. what system catalog views and stored procedures exist).

An upgrade of the db file change catalog outfit and add/modify system objects.
That change also
the db file version. During the next start engine knows what features the db
file supports (e.g.
whether is has java support). Keep also a database capability matix inside the
1st page for
specific features.

SC takes the db file version number and maps it to a software version. The db
file version
is not realy useful the the user. When you run dbupgrad you can add new features

at any time.

Cheers,

Hartmut Branz
database file version

------------------------------------
Hartmut:
Hi.  So, there have been no instances where
upgrading a database file to the engine version
has eliminated a problem?

A related question: Do you know of any instances
where PB/ASA apps, running under Citrix, have
had problems that do not appear when the app/database
combination is run under just Windows?

Thanks,

Hartmut Branz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> see the answers below.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hartmut Branz
> Sybase Product Support Engineering
> Adaptive Server Anywhere
>
> Doug Stone wrote:
>
> > Hi.  I was recently visiting a customer site and noticed, from Sybase
> > Central, that the customer's database file displayed a 5.x version number,
> > even though the ASA engine was version 7.0.2.
> >
> > This customer is running our pb6.5 / ASA 7 application under Citrix and is
> > having problems which are not appearing at other customer sites.  I would
> > like to rule-out any possibility of these problems being generated by our
> > application.
> >
> > Has anyone eliminated problems by upgrading the database file to the same
> > version as the database engine?
>
> There are some cases where dbupgrad.exe failed while converting.
> By the way, to check the db file version you can check the database_version
> field
> of the sysinfo table. Number 35 means version 5.5.x.
>

> > Does Sybase recommend that the file be kept "current" with the engine?
>
> You only need to upgrade if you need new features of the new version.
>

> > Thanks,
> > Doug

0
Hartmut
4/5/2001 6:50:53 AM
I have a very similiar environment and have had mixed results with ASA 7
running Sybase 5 DB's, with a PB 6 app. We had hit or miss results, until
we upgraded everything to 7. Once the environment was 7 start to finish all
the issues ended. Maybe this will not be the results others have had, but
it certainly worked for us.
0
Greg_A
4/10/2001 3:20:12 PM
Greg:
Thanks for that 'dissenting' view.
I will give this forum feedback on my results.
Doug

<Greg_A._Book> wrote in message
> I have a very similiar environment and have had mixed results with ASA 7
> running Sybase 5 DB's, with a PB 6 app. We had hit or miss results, until
> we upgraded everything to 7. Once the environment was 7 start to finish
all
> the issues ended. Maybe this will not be the results others have had, but
> it certainly worked for us.

0
Doug

Database version vs. Server version
I am running the SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 server/engine and when I inspect the properties for my database object within SQL central it says that my database version is 5.0.03. Does anyone know what exactly the database version means? Do I need to update my database? If so, How? -Scott scharris@worldnet.att.net >I am running the SQL Anywhere 5.5.02 server/engine and when I inspect the >properties for my database object within SQL central it says that my >database version is 5.0.03. Does anyone know what exactly the database >version means? Do I need to update my ...

Version 8 database with version 7 engine
Can I create a database file with version 8 client and run the database using a version 7 engine on a Novell server? I don't need any of the fancy new features added to version 8, we are okay with version 7 features. Thanks. I found the answer. Thanks anyway. The answer: Adaptive Server Anywhere servers can manage databases created with earlier versions of the software, but old servers cannot manage newer databases. > Can I create a database file with version 8 client and run > the database using a version 7 engine on a Novell server? > > I don't need a...

How to upgrade/convert version 8.1 database to version 10 database
Hi, I would like to upgrade a 8.1 version into version 10 database. Could you please tell me, how to go about it ? regards Venu "venu" <venuc@hotmail.com> wrote: > I would like to upgrade a 8.1 version into version 10 database. > > Could you please tell me, how to go about it ? Have you heard about the SA manual ;)? Start from the following: -------------------------------------------------- SQL AnywhereR 10 - Changes and Upgrading Upgrading to SQL Anywhere 10 Upgrading SQL Anywhere .... --------------------------------------...

version of database file
Is there a way to find out the version of the db. I would like to check if the db is upgraded to v12. Thanks You can query the SYSHISTORY system table for this information. -chris On 11/30/2010 10:20 AM, Danny wrote: > Is there a way to find out the version of the db. I would like to check > if the db is upgraded to v12. > > Thanks ...

Database file version
How do I detect the database file version? I execute the following in ISQL: select db_property('FileVersion') which returns: for a SQA 5.5.03 database it returns 35. for a ASA 7.0 database it returns 41. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the values and versions. Purpose: I want to be able to detect database file version so I run the proper version of tools (dbbackup, dbunload, etc.) or are these tools compatible across both file structures and I do not need to determine what version of the tool to run? NOTE: I have both SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 Build 1970 and AS...

Assembly version does not match Database version
I'm trying for the first time to open DotNetNuke in my browser and get the following error:   DotNetNuke Upgrade Error The Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLYVERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASEVERSION] ) ERROR: Could not connect to database.Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance   it looks like theres a problem with your connection string...Wessam Zeidan Is that the first time you try to install dotnetnuke ? Is it a local installation. What Version of DNN What o...

database file vs. database connection
Hi...I'm trying to build a web database application. What are the advantages/disadvantages when using a mdf file directly from the app_data folder instead of using a database connection.what is best pracise?  greetingsignorator  The MDF is a SQLExpress database so it is a server based database management system unlike a MDB which is an Access file based database.So using the MDF in your app_data folder is the same as using and connecting to a SQL Server 2000/2005 database.  ...

The assembly version does not match the database version
Hi, everybody, My name's thuantam and I'm very interested in using DNN to study with my PC. I want to install the DNN 2.0 Beta with the OS: Windows 2003 Server, SQL server 2000 and IIS 6.0 on my PC. but IE noted me with the page "The assembly version [ASSEMBLYVERSION] does not match the database version [DATABASEVERSION]", I think the error caused by my SQL Server. What can I do to fix this error. Thanks, thuantam In there are two places in your web.config that you need to set your own<appSettings><add key="connectionString"....... ensure both plac...

Converting a database from version 6 to version 7
I am working with a site that has ASA 7 installed but the database version is still 6. Will a backup and restore upgrade the database from 6 to 7? If not, what do I need to do to perform the upgrade? Thanks. -- ..Bill. You can simply run the database on an ASA7 server. If you want to move to an ASA7 format database file, use dbunload to rebuild the database. -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 ***************************************************************************** Register now for TechWave 2006 August 6-10 in Las Vegas. New! 2...

The Assembly Version does not match the Database Version #2
When navigating to the DotNetNuke site, I get this error: DotNetNuke Upgrade Error The Assembly Version ( [ASSEMBLY VERSION] ) does not match the Database Version ( [DATABASE VERSION] ) ERROR: Could not connect to database specified in connectionString for SqlDataProvider It worked when using the default MsAccess database. Then I tried to switch to use MSDE. By for example using ODBC, I can connect to the Database with the user and password provided in the connectionString in Web.Config. This is the only change done: applying sa as uid and a password as pwd in the connecti...

Database File Version #3
How to get the Database file version shown in the attached file using SQL ? begin 666 DB file version.JPG M_]C_X `02D9)1@`!`0$`8 !@``#_VP!#``@&!@<&!0@'!P<)"0@*#!0-# L+ M#!D2$P\4'1H?'AT:'!P@)"XG("(L(QP<*#<I+# Q-#0T'R<Y/3@R/"XS-#+_ MVP!#`0D)"0P+#!@-#1@R(1PA,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R M,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C(R,C+_P `1" & `5H#`2(``A$!`Q$!_\0` M'P```04!`0$!`0$```````````$"`P0%!@<("0H+_\0`M1 ``@$#`P($`P4% M! 0```%]`0(#``01!1(A,4$&$U%A!R)Q%#*!D:$((T*QP152T? D,V)R@@D* M%A<8&...

Database file version compatable
Will a SQL Anywhere 5.5 and 6.0.3 database run under 9.0.1 Thanks Jim Yes but it is not recommended. Many of the features of ASA9, particularly related to performance, require an ASA9 format database file. -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 **************************************************************************** * Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 9 Developer Edition and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and small to medium sized business environments for free! http://www.ianywhere...

Database File Version issue
Hi I need to programmatically understand what is the database file version that is stored in the database file. I dont' need the software version but the version of the software that created the database file. I saw that exist a db property called FileVersion but I'm getting the same value '41' both for database built with 7.0 and 9.0 ASA version. Do someone knows an extact mode to get the database file version ? Thank you Regards, Marco Maroni It is very easy or very hard (and not perfectly reliable), depending on how far back in history you want to go; pl...

Database File Version #2
I am trying to find out a way to get the version number on which the database file is created. e.g. If the database is created with version 8.0 and started with the server versioned 9.0, I am intrested in database file version which is 8.0 in above scenario. When starting an older database file on a newer database server you will receive a the following message in the database console: Performance warning: Database "asademo" was created with older software and may benefit from being rebuilt One way of determining an approximation of when the database file was create...

Web resources about - Database File Version vs Database Engine Version - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Five million customers affected by Vtech database hack
Toy and educational material seller Vtech has revealed five million customers were affected by a hack of its app database and has also suspended ...

IDG Contributor Network: Avoiding ginormous transaction logs with SharePoint databases
... why do we see these humongous transaction logs so often? I am going to blame it on a “misunderstanding” of how Microsoft describes a full database ...

Change your passwords: NexusMods suffers database breach
... security breach by posts on reddit. Cybersecurity firm REN-ISAC had apparently contacted several university IT departments about a database ...

VTech Admits Lack of Database Security Opened Door to Hack
A SQL injection, a common software flaw, was found to be the root cause in the VTech breach.

MapR And Big Data In The World's Largest Biometric Database Project
India?s Aadhaar project is one of the world?s most ambitious big data projects, aiming to collect, store, and utilize biometric information from ...

Trump calls for surveillance of some mosques, attempts to clarify remarks on Syrian database
Trump calls for surveillance of some mosques, attempts to clarify remarks on Syrian database