Connection error - An error occurred during the TCPIP connection attempt

We have see the message:

Connection error - An error occurred during the TCPIP
connection attempt

twice now. The first time was a laptop that had not been
used in a while. Now we are seeing the same message while
trying to connect to a computer where ASA has just been
installed.

brian
0
Brian

Brian Howard wrote:
> We have see the message:
>
> Connection error - An error occurred during the TCPIP
> connection attempt
>
> twice now. The first time was a laptop that had not been
> used in a while. Now we are seeing the same message while
> trying to connect to a computer where ASA has just been
> installed.
>
> brian

What version and build of SQL Anywhere are you running?

What does the database server output say if you add the -z switch? What
does the client output say if you add the LOG connection parameter?

What is you database server command line? What is your client connection
string? Is the database server and client on the same subnet?

--
Joshua Savill
Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager
> What version and build of SQL Anywhere are you running?
We demo using an older version of ASA (1271) mostly because
we know the "warts". The odd thing is that the prospect is
able to connect for a while, then (after a restart) can no
longer connect.

> What does the database server output say if you add the -z
> switch? What  does the client output say if you add the
> LOG connection parameter?
>
> What is you database server command line? What is your
> client connection  string? Is the database server and
> client on the same subnet?
The server command line is below. The client is using the
ODBC connection (windows) and the "test" button - settings
below. I'll have to check on the rest.

  dbsrv9.exe -n oasis the-db-file-path

Client ODBC connection:
  name: oasis
  database name: oasis
  TCP/IP enabled with: HOST=server-name

This is a prospective customer (for both of us). I'll have
to ask to see how much they would like to troubleshoot ....

Eight years with this one and we are now seeing something
new ....

thanks!

brian
0
Brian
3/24/2008 7:33:18 PM
Brian Howard wrote:
>> What version and build of SQL Anywhere are you running?
> We demo using an older version of ASA (1271) mostly because
> we know the "warts". The odd thing is that the prospect is
> able to connect for a while, then (after a restart) can no
> longer connect.
>
>> What does the database server output say if you add the -z
>> switch? What  does the client output say if you add the
>> LOG connection parameter?
>>
>> What is you database server command line? What is your
>> client connection  string? Is the database server and
>> client on the same subnet?
> The server command line is below. The client is using the
> ODBC connection (windows) and the "test" button - settings
> below. I'll have to check on the rest.
>
>   dbsrv9.exe -n oasis the-db-file-path
>
> Client ODBC connection:
>   name: oasis
>   database name: oasis
>   TCP/IP enabled with: HOST=server-name
>
> This is a prospective customer (for both of us). I'll have
> to ask to see how much they would like to troubleshoot ....
>
> Eight years with this one and we are now seeing something
> new ....
>
> thanks!
>
> brian

This could be a networking issue. A firewall or router could be blocking
  the UDP request packet from getting the IP Address of the database
server. Does the database server start on port 2638? If not, specify the
port number in the TCP/IP section of the ODBC DSN.

Without knowing more information, I'm just guess what the problem could
be. The LOG connection parameter output might shed some light.

--
Joshua Savill
Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager
0
Josh
3/24/2008 8:38:16 PM
This is pretty much what we are assuming at the moment. This
is a prospective client trying to run a demo - so things are
a little different. Even so, we found that this is a
"converted" server: from a previous version of Windows to
Win Server 2003 - I'm wondering if Microsoft Licensing is
getting in the way somehow...

more as we go ...

thanks!

brian

> This could be a networking issue. A firewall or router
> could be blocking
>   the UDP request packet from getting the IP Address of
> the database  server. Does the database server start on
> port 2638? If not, specify the  port number in the TCP/IP
> section of the ODBC DSN.
>
> Without knowing more information, I'm just guess what the
> problem could  be. The LOG connection parameter output
> might shed some light.
>
> --
> Joshua Savill
> Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager
0
Brian
3/25/2008 5:35:15 PM
Brian Howard wrote:
> This is pretty much what we are assuming at the moment. This
> is a prospective client trying to run a demo - so things are
> a little different. Even so, we found that this is a
> "converted" server: from a previous version of Windows to
> Win Server 2003 - I'm wondering if Microsoft Licensing is
> getting in the way somehow...
>
> more as we go ...
>
> thanks!
>
> brian
>

>> This could be a networking issue. A firewall or router
>> could be blocking
>>   the UDP request packet from getting the IP Address of
>> the database  server. Does the database server start on
>> port 2638? If not, specify the  port number in the TCP/IP
>> section of the ODBC DSN.
>>
>> Without knowing more information, I'm just guess what the
>> problem could  be. The LOG connection parameter output
>> might shed some light.
>>
>> --
>> Joshua Savill
>> Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager

I do not think this issues is related to Microsoft. I suspect you are
not provided sufficient information in the DSN to establish a connection
with the database server.

--
Joshua Savill
Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager
0
Josh
3/25/2008 10:07:31 PM
Here are the LOG details:

wed mar 26 2008 08:48:49
08:48:49 Application information:
08:48:49 "HOST=001PLP;OS=Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack
2;PID=0x968;THREAD=0x970;EXE=C:\PROGRA~1\OASIS\dbbackup.exe;VERSION=9.0.0.1271;
API=DBLIB;TIMEZONEADJUSTMENT=-420"
08:48:49 Attempting to connect using:
UID=oasis;PWD=********;ENG=oasis;ASTOP=YES;DSN=oasis;INT=NO;DBG=NO;
LTO=0;LOG=log.txt;DMRF=NO;LINKS=TCPIP;COMP=NO;IDLE=0
08:48:49 Attempting to connect to a running server...
08:48:49 Trying to start TCPIP link ...

08:48:49 TCP using Winsock version 2.0
08:48:49 My IP address is 192.168.150.221
08:48:49 My IP address is 127.0.0.1
08:48:49     TCPIP link started successfully

08:48:49 Attempting TCPIP connection (no asasrv.ini cached
address)

08:48:49 Looking for server with name oasis
08:48:49 I am in a class C network
08:48:49 Sending broadcast to find server
08:48:49 Using broadcast address of: 192.168.150.255:2638
08:48:49 I am in a class A network
08:48:49 Sending broadcast to find server
08:48:49 Using broadcast address of: 127.255.255.255:2638
08:48:49 Found database server at address
192.168.150.80:2638
08:48:50 TCP/IP link, function connect(), error code 10061
08:48:50 An error occurred during the TCPIP connection
attempt

08:48:50 Cannot connect to server
0
Brian
3/26/2008 3:55:01 PM
Brian Howard wrote:
> Here are the LOG details:
>

> wed mar 26 2008 08:48:49
> 08:48:49 Application information:
> 08:48:49 "HOST=001PLP;OS=Windows XP Build 2600 Service Pack
> 2;PID=0x968;THREAD=0x970;EXE=C:\PROGRA~1\OASIS\dbbackup.exe;VERSION=9.0.0.1271;
> API=DBLIB;TIMEZONEADJUSTMENT=-420"
> 08:48:49 Attempting to connect using:
> UID=oasis;PWD=********;ENG=oasis;ASTOP=YES;DSN=oasis;INT=NO;DBG=NO;
> LTO=0;LOG=log.txt;DMRF=NO;LINKS=TCPIP;COMP=NO;IDLE=0
> 08:48:49 Attempting to connect to a running server...
> 08:48:49 Trying to start TCPIP link ...

> 08:48:49 TCP using Winsock version 2.0
> 08:48:49 My IP address is 192.168.150.221
> 08:48:49 My IP address is 127.0.0.1
> 08:48:49     TCPIP link started successfully
>
> 08:48:49 Attempting TCPIP connection (no asasrv.ini cached
> address)
>
> 08:48:49 Looking for server with name oasis
> 08:48:49 I am in a class C network
> 08:48:49 Sending broadcast to find server
> 08:48:49 Using broadcast address of: 192.168.150.255:2638
> 08:48:49 I am in a class A network
> 08:48:49 Sending broadcast to find server
> 08:48:49 Using broadcast address of: 127.255.255.255:2638
> 08:48:49 Found database server at address
> 192.168.150.80:2638
> 08:48:50 TCP/IP link, function connect(), error code 10061
> 08:48:50 An error occurred during the TCPIP connection
> attempt
>
> 08:48:50 Cannot connect to server

The TCP/IP link, function connect(), error code 10061 is as follows:

WSAECONNREFUSED (10061) Connection refused.

WinSock description: No connection could be made because the target
machine actively refused it. This usually results from trying to connect
to a service that is inactive on the foreign host.

http://www.sockets.com/err_lst1.htm

This could be the result of the Windows XP Firewall or potentially a
firewall running on the Windows 2003 machine that is running the SQL
Anywhere database server. Something is causing the connection to be
refused. What does the -z output from the database server indicate? Does
the Windows 2003 Event Viewer provide any feedback regarding this
connection?

--
Joshua Savill
Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager
0
Josh
3/26/2008 4:34:51 PM
Not sure - we ran the server with -z, but didn't get details
on what was seen (this is at a prospective client site).

I went ahead an opened a case on this one: case# 11433233 -
it's a prospect for us and Sybase.

Right now, they have moved the database service from the
target server to a laptop that appears to be working (the
server worked for a while, and intermittently works now when
local TCP and shmem connections always work). They are also
upgrading to SP4 for Server 2003

Fingers crossed - they will want this to run on the server
at some point ....

brian
0
Brian

help. when using Profile GetPropertyValue, I get the following connection error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure
 Hi,I need some help. I am getting this error after I complete the asp.net register control and click on the continue button. It crashed when it tries to get it calls this Profile property((string)(this.GetPropertyValue("Address1")));When I look at the stack, it is coming from my ProfileWrapper class which adds user address, city, etc.. from a class which inherits fromSystem.Web.Profile.ProfileBase. From the stack, it is calling the System.Web.Profile and crashed when it tries to open a connection atSystem.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConnection(DbConnection owningObj...

An error occurred during the TCPIP connection attempt
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:07:02 -0400 Message-ID: <MPG.227266f1a4dd0bf49896f2@forums.sybase.com> MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-15" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit User-Agent: MicroPlanet-Gravity/2.70.2067 Any suggestions for troubleshooting the subject error? The database server has been running since late February with no known glitches, and the Apache Tomcat 5.5.15 client that the following log snippet is from had been running since mid-March. I got calls this AM that my users couldn't get connected, and there were many co...

[connect error] Interbase Connect Error
In ODBC connect test is successfully.. but in PowerBuilder 6.5 Database Profiles is displayed error message.. Error Message is SQLSTATE = 40001 [Easysoft][Interbase]Dynamic SQL Error, SQL error code = -91, feature is not supported What means this message? Now I use PowerBuilder 6.5 & Interbase 5.6... Just I choose - Profile Name - Data Source --> This is ODBC DNS..(user DNS) - User ID - Password Does it need more? ...

Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does
Hi All, i am using tha conncetion string in web.config. <add name="MyLocalSqlConnection" connectionString="Data Source=.\SqlExpress;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\SqlServer\OC00003SQL.mdf;User Instance=false" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>  Instance=false and true both i have used  but i am getting error like that. on my web hosting site  Error : An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Serv...

Internal connection fatal error and other random db connection errors
Hi guys!My newly built website has just recently went online,but sometimes I face errors (randomly) like these: System.IndexOutOfRangeException: There is no row at position 0.System.InvalidOperationException: There is already an open DataReader associated with this Command which must be closed first.System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Cannot find table 0System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.System.InvalidOperationException: ExecuteNonQuery requires an open and available Connection. The connection's current state is closed.System.InvalidOper...

An error occurred during the SharedMemory connection attempt
Hi.. Iam running 9.0.1 (1965) on Debian woody 2.4.24hl2. Multible databases on one database server (29) shared memory connection in a pure web-envirenment (Apache 1.3+php4+UnixODBC). Fairly complex application. I have configured quite some shared memory : sysctl -w kernel.shmmax=1073741824 But every three weeks or so I will get Warning: SQL error: [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Connection error: An error occurred during the SharedMemory connection attempt, SQL state 08001 in SQLConnect in /var/www/blablabla.php on line 61 No database connection No clues...

SA11: Connection error: Found server but communication error occurred
From time to time while trying to connect to SA11 Server I receive the following error: "Connection error: Found server but communication error occurred". At this time server seems to be not respond(hang). At that time I can not connect to server either - throw odbc - Sybase Central . - dbping Usually the problem lasts for several minutes, but sometimes it can take more than 20 minutes. I found similar question in 2005 by Breck http://groups.google.ru/group/sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general/browse_thread/thread/febfa9a297c6d494/47935ac46cad67e4 but did not fin...

error error error

Error, Error and more errors

errors errors errors..

ERROR : Could not connect: ERROR OCIEnvInit
------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C68FDF.D230F2A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi,=20 I am Sundeep Maini. I read your article in one of the forum online. This regarding the Perl Module error encountered while a script in my = system tries to connect to a CGI Script. Just to give you a brief overview. I recently had a database upgrade from Oracle 8i (8.1.7) to Oracle 9i = (9.2.0). Earlier, the application was using Oracle 8i database. As part of process I have updated the ORACLE_HOME env to = /opt/oracle/produc...

upgrade error:"CONNECTIVITY ERROR:DB-Library: "SQL Server connection timed out."
PLEASE HELP OH WISE SYBASE GURUS! upgrading 11.9.2 to 12.0. unloaded software. rebooted server. selected "upgrade server" in Configure Sybase Servers window. typed in sa password. got "CONNECTIVITY ERROR: DB-Library: "SQL Server connection timed out." -- Chuck Boyce chuck_boyce@operamail.com http://www.geocities.com/chuck_boyce_jr/ Yahoo Messenger ID: chuck_boyce_jr http://messenger.yahoo.com AOL Instant Messenger ID: sg95m476 http://www.aol.com/aim/ ICQ Messenger ID: 41449031 http://www.icq.com ...

when i log in, i get the "An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server" error.
My website online but when i enter log in details I get the following page.    Server Error in '/' Application. An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more in...

Connexion to oracle / An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005...
Hi,I use an oracle database and I want to use it with SqlDataSource and also ObjectDatasource. When I use the connexion with the SqlDataSource and a listbox than display all results It works,When i want to write a Business Layer using that connexion, it fails... Hope one of you would find the problem... Thks  Here's the connexion declaration in web.config : <connectionStrings>    <add name="GMTDB" connectionString="Data Source=opargiad02;User Id=-----;Password=-----;Integrated Security=no;" providerName="System.Data.OracleClient"...

Web resources about - Connection error - An error occurred during the TCPIP connection attempt - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

10th person arrested in connection with Paris attacks
CNN 10th person arrested in connection with Paris attacks CNN (CNN) Belgian police have arrested a 10th person in connection with last month's ...

Should auld connections be forgot...
This environmental testing company has strict data-retention requirements and they go beyond the data, reports a pilot fish on the scene. "Per ...

Test Claims To Show T-Mobile’s YouTube “Optimization” Is Just Connection Throttling
... on the same network, and at the same time of day. They tested video streaming against three other kinds of downloads and measured the connection ...