Connecting to ASA 6 using 5.x DataSource

I can't seem to connect to an ASA 6 database server using the
DataSources I created for connecting to SQLAnywhere 5.5.  I have changed
the client startup to dbcli6.exe with no success. If anyone has some
info on how to make the connection I would really appreciate it.

Greg

0
Greg

My 'old' setup was:

Database server (dbsrv50) = SQLAnywhere 5.5.05 build 2509 starting as a service
on a NT 4.0 machine or just starting using the following command for a Win9x
machine.
START /MIN c:\sqlany50\win32\dbsrv50.exe -n uuserver -c 20M -ti 0 -x tcpip
d:\unitedu\monson_01\uu_monson_01.db

Then through the version 5 ODBC setup:
    DataSource Name:    uu_DataSource
    User ID:                    dba
    Password:                 sql
    Server Name:            uuserver
    Database Name:        uu_monson_01
    Database Startup:      custom radio button on
    Options - Start Command: C:\SQLANY50\WIN32\dbclient.exe -x tcpip

We are trying to migrate to ASA 6.0.03, which includes the client connection in
the DataSorce.  However, we must continue to use the version 5 DataSource due
to PowerBuilder 5's inability to recognize the version 6 DataSource - we would
like to migrate from PB5 to PB7 but PB7 has serious problems with it's function
headers, which was acknowledged by them 6 months ago.  Anyway, is there a way
to connect to ASA 6.0.03 through the old DataSource using dbcli6.exe in the
Start Command?  If not what do you suggest?

Greg

Reg Domaratzki wrote:

> What were the connection parameters you used at v5?
> What is the start line for the database server?
> Are you trying to connect a v5 client to a v6 server or vice versa?  If so,
> you can't.
>
> dbcli6 is not the v6 version of dbclient.  dbcli6 is used only if you want
> to use an ESQL program that was compiled with the v5 ESQL libraries and
> connect to a local v6 database engine.
>
> --
> Reg Domaratzki
> Sybase Mobile and Embedded Computing Division
> Please respond only to the newsgroup
>
> "Greg Heiner" <greg@united-underwriters.com> wrote in message
> > I can't seem to connect to an ASA 6 database server using the
> > DataSources I created for connecting to SQLAnywhere 5.5.  I have changed
> > the client startup to dbcli6.exe with no success. If anyone has some
> > info on how to make the connection I would really appreciate it.
> >
> > Greg

0
Greg
3/24/2000 1:08:40 PM
What were the connection parameters you used at v5?
What is the start line for the database server?
Are you trying to connect a v5 client to a v6 server or vice versa?  If so,
you can't.

dbcli6 is not the v6 version of dbclient.  dbcli6 is used only if you want
to use an ESQL program that was compiled with the v5 ESQL libraries and
connect to a local v6 database engine.

--
Reg Domaratzki
Sybase Mobile and Embedded Computing Division
Please respond only to the newsgroup

"Greg Heiner" <greg@united-underwriters.com> wrote in message
> I can't seem to connect to an ASA 6 database server using the
> DataSources I created for connecting to SQLAnywhere 5.5.  I have changed
> the client startup to dbcli6.exe with no success. If anyone has some
> info on how to make the connection I would really appreciate it.
>
> Greg

0
Reg
3/24/2000 1:26:00 PM
It appears that the problem is that the dbclient.exe from version 5
can't find the ASA 6 database server.  Here is what I just verified.

I start a SQLAnywhere 5.5.05 server using:
START /MIN c:\sqlany50\win32\dbsrv50.exe -n uuserver -c 20M -ti 0 -x
tcpip
d:\unitedu\monson_01\uu_monson_01.db

and I setup a version 5 DataSource, the configuration is in my last
posting except I put in a -Z -o c:\dbclient.txt to view the dbclient
startup. And everything works fine.

Then, I shut down the version 5 database server and start up an ASA 6
server using:
START /MIN "c:\Program Finles\Sybase\Adaptive Server Anywhere
6.0\win32\dbsrv6.exe" -n uuserver -c 20M -ti 0 -x tcpip
d:\unitedu\monson_01\uu_monson_01.db

I don't touch the DataSource and run the app and I get the output:
1: -x
2: tcpip
3: -Z
4: -o
5: dbclient.txt
6: -ga
7: -n
8: uuserver
9: -N2172,4294575339:220
Sybase SQL Anywhere Network Requestor Version 5.5.05 Build
#2509Copyright by Sybase, Inc., and its subsidiaries, 1988, 1999. All
rights reserved. Sybase is a trademark of Sybase, Inc.Trying to start
TCPIP link ...Loading WSOCK32.DLLMy IP-address is: 169.254.16.193My
IP-address is: 166.70.145.71Listener threads to start: 2Threads started:
2Threads started: 2    TCPIP link started successfullyStarting with 200
buffers of size 512 bytesLooking for uuserverSending broadcastI am in a
class B networkUsing broadcast address of: 169.254.255.255I am in a
class B networkUsing broadcast address of: 166.70.255.255Using broadcast
address of: 255.255.255.255Shutting down listener thread: 0Shutting down
listener thread: 1Shutting down listener thread: 2Shutting down listener
thread: 3Unable to start -- Server not found

Thanks,
Greg

Jim Egan wrote:

> I've use PB 5, 6, and 7 against both SQL Anywhere and
> ASA DSN's.  What sort of problem are you having?  You
> MUST set up a DSN using the ASA driver to connect to an
> ASA database server.  Putting DBCLI6 in the SQL Anywhere
> DSN won't work as far as I know.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
> Houston, TX
>
> Sybase Developers Network
> http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm

0
Greg
3/24/2000 1:50:38 PM
I've use PB 5, 6, and 7 against both SQL Anywhere and
ASA DSN's.  What sort of problem are you having?  You
MUST set up a DSN using the ASA driver to connect to an
ASA database server.  Putting DBCLI6 in the SQL Anywhere
DSN won't work as far as I know.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
Jim
3/24/2000 2:25:14 PM
Jim

I have been following this thread with interest as I have a similar issue.

The Server is NT4 ASA 6.0.3 (Database has been upgraded)

The client is a DataEase app - runs on NT w/s & W95.

DSN (user) is ASA 6.0

The DSN works ok from MS-Access (link-table) but the D/E app returns the
following error:-
 - "Remote ports cannot be started by a 16-bit application using a 32-bit
ODBC driver on Windows 95/98"

Any clues you can give me to the cause of this error will be most
appreciated, but I suspect you will have to receive your reward in Heaven,
unless you get down to Twickenham for the occasional beer.

Best Regards & thanks.

William Tasso

Jim Egan <eganjp@compuserve.com> wrote in message
> I've use PB 5, 6, and 7 against both SQL Anywhere and
> ASA DSN's.  What sort of problem are you having?  You
> MUST set up a DSN using the ASA driver to connect to an
> ASA database server.  Putting DBCLI6 in the SQL Anywhere
> DSN won't work as far as I know.
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
> Houston, TX
>
> Sybase Developers Network
> http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm

0
William
3/27/2000 1:47:09 PM
The communications were rewritten for ASA.  The SQL
Anywhere 5.x client won't work.
--
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
Jim
3/28/2000 12:46:57 AM
You need to create a 16 bit ODBC DSN instead of a 32 bit
DSN.  Or use a 32 bit application.  See the following
document for more information:
http://techinfo.sybase.com/css/techinfo.nsf/DocID/ID=444
Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
Houston, TX

Sybase Developers Network
http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm
0
Jim
3/28/2000 3:10:18 AM
Jim

Thanks  for speedy reply.
However ....
    There will not be a 32-bit app for many months.  -  So that route is
out.
More however ...
    The upgrade has now worked using NT w/s client - it may well work on
w95.
    I think I was misreading the compatibility library docs - they're not
super clear.
Regards

Bill

> You need to create a 16 bit ODBC DSN instead of a 32 bit
> DSN.  Or use a 32 bit application.  See the following
> document for more information:
> http://techinfo.sybase.com/css/techinfo.nsf/DocID/ID=444
> 77
> --
> Jim Egan [TeamSybase]
> Houston, TX
>
> Sybase Developers Network
> http://sdn.sybase.com/sdn/mec/mec_home.stm

0
William

SqlAnywhere (ASA 6.x)
I have a table with a datafield declared: varchar(10). My observation is that Delphi takes an empty string "var := '';" and passes this to the database as a NULL. Does this seem reasonable? I would think that an empty string (length 0) and a NULL would be two different values --- zero and NULL are different. There is a distinction with ODBC Express I'm not sure about BDE. Jim Dean Wooldridge <dean@medsweb.com> wrote in message news:XDA1H5$c$GA.96@forums.sybase.com... > I have a table with a datafield declared: varchar(10). > >...

Anybody using SQLAnywhere 6.x and Netware 5.1?
We have just upgraded our server to Netware for small business 5.1 and are getting multiple abends when we run our applications against sql anywhere databases. I have upgraded the server and clients to 6.0.4, but we still are getting the abends. We were using ipx, so switched to tcp/ip, but that didn't help either. We don't get any errors from within the app or any assertion error, the server just goes into multiple abends and freezes. We didn't have any problems with these two apps running on netware 4.11. Any suggestions most welcome. At this point I would recomme...

Connect 5.x Client to 6.0 Unix ASA Server
I have an application that uses the dbclient command to connect to a 5.x SQL Anywhere database. I am attempting to migrate the database to a Unix Anywhere 6 Server and am having some difficulties. I believe that I should be using the dbcli6 command but each time I issue the command it responds back telling me that the "configuration written to ODBC.ini" without making a connection to the database Can anyone assist. Ed_Kormanik@DeanWitter.com Are you trying to connect from a Windows PC? -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Dynamic Data Solutions, Inc. http://www.dyn-data...

Connecting PowerBuilder 6.0.00 to ASA 5.x Standalone
! Hi everyone I Create Execute File With PowerBuilder Version 6.0.00, And Connect To DataBase With Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0. When I Try To Run The Execute File I Get The Message "DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current installation". When I am running the application with PowerBuilder everything is ok what is the problem with the execute file ? .Please Help Thanks. You are missing PBODB60.DLL or it's not in your path. On 24 Feb 2004 13:55:33 -0800, "david barel" <talibar@netvision.net.il> wrote: >! Hi everyone > I Create E...

Connecting PowerBuilder 6.0.00 to ASA 5.x Standalone
! Hi Eeveryone I Create Execute File With PowerBuilder Version 6.0.00, And Connect To DataBase With Sybase SQL Anywhere 5.0. When I Try To Run The Execute File I Get The Message "DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current installation". When I am running the application with PowerBuilder everything is ok what is the problem with the execute file ? .Please Help Thanks. You are missing the PBODB60.DLL or the client software for ASA. -- Chris Keating Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8 **********************************************...

How do I connect PB 6.5 to Oracle 8.1.6 using Net8.1.6?
I am using PB6.5 (build 444) and I've Installed Oracle client (Net8) v8.1.6 to connect to Oracle Server 8.1.6. I can connect via SQL*Plus; however, When i try to connect thru Powerbuilder i get the following message: "Error while trying to retrieve text for error ORA-12154" Any help on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Which driver are you trying to use? The 7.x drivers require the '@' prefix, the 8.x drivers don't (and will generate such an error message if you provide it). On Wed, 07 Mar 2001 16:40:13 -0500, in powersoft.public.powerb...

Connecting to SQLAW 5.5 and ASA 6.0
Small problem: if I want to be able to connect from a workstation to two servers, one running SQL Anywhere 5.5 network server on QNX platform and another ASA 6.0 network server on Windows NT, what I must do. Can I have only 6.0 clients or must I have also 5.5 clients for 5.5 server, e.g. two ISQL versions, separate ODBC drivers etc? If two separate sets are needed, is it necessary to install them in a given order, 5.5 first and 6.0 thereafter? Thanks Juho Joensuu Softsys Oy, Finland The two clients are mutually exclusive and both must be installed. They can co-exist as lon...

SQLA 5.x and ASA 6.x Compatibility
Usually, when a customer sends me a database, i can read that db with either SQLA 5.x or ASA 6.0. Sometimes, though, I will receive a 6.x database that can only be served by a 6.00.01 or higher server. Usually, the 6.x DBs can be accessed by my 5.x server. What might be happening? Thank you, st >Usually, when a customer sends me a database, i can read that db with either >SQLA 5.x or ASA 6.0. >Sometimes, though, I will receive a 6.x database that can only be served by >a 6.00.01 or higher server. Usually, the 6.x DBs can be accessed by my 5.x >serv...

ASA 6
Hello! I tried to install connection from PowerBuilder to ASA 6.02 Network Server without ODBC support. I described ASA-server as Open Server. In PB I use "SYT Sybase SQL server DBLIB" driver. Besides, I installed to the database stored procedures and tables which PowerBuilder install in ASE 11.5. I can connect across DB-profile, I can see data in tables, but I can not make DataWindow. Do exists others native drivers for PB and ASA 6. In ASE 11.5 such drivers work really fast than ODBC-drivers. With big respect Voronkov Nick. my email is voronkov@engineer.c...

ASA 6.x to SQLaw 5.5.02 replication
Hello again. The powers that be now wish to evaluate ASA 6.x in addition to ASE at this time. Until I get my copy of ASA, can anyone tell me of any pit falls I might encounter? I expect replication to work flawlessly from 5.5 to 6.x - is that too much to ask :-) ? Also, did anyone have any database conversion issues moving to 6 from 5? Anyone using Powerbuilder? Any application changes required? Did the network connectivity change and will I have to update all my local clients? Current setup is 5.5.04 (Build 1951) consolidated to 5.5.02 (Build 1536) I'll be spend...

In-place upgrade 6.0.5 to 6.5.6 using overlay
Hi It stops before the license agreement saying I cannot do this because I am trying to install products on a server that is not same OS revision of the CD. I checked and it is the OS CD in the drive. Any thoughts? I believe the in place upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5 is launched from the GUI on the server. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Will K wrote: >It stops before the license agreement saying I cannot do this because I am >trying to install products on a server that is not same OS revision of the >CD. I checked and it is the OS ...

Linux 6.x 7.x client to 5.5.x server
Is it possible for a Linux 6.x or 7.x client to connect to a server (NT in this case) running SQLAnywhere 5.5.x ? Thanks in advance, Jeff Generally, no; however, you can use OpenClient (ASE's dblib) or JConnect (if you're using Java) to communicate with an Open Server Gateway (dbos50.exe that comes with ASA5.x for NT) as a front-end to ASA 5.5. -john. Jeff Patterson wrote: > Is it possible for a Linux 6.x or 7.x client to connect to a server (NT in > this case) running SQLAnywhere 5.5.x ? > > Thanks in advance, > > Jeff Thanks John. ...

ASA 6.0 Eval connection to AS 5.5 DB over Inet
I have setup the eval version of 6.0 to do some initial testing of version 6.0 for our app. But the problem is that now when I need to work on the production DB I can not get a connection. I get the message that the server is not running. I am using the same parameters that I was using with the 5.5 client: tcpip{host=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;myip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx;dobroadcast=no} I have deleted the cached server .ini file to avoid it trying to connect the local engine that I have been testing with. The local engine is not running when I try to connect to the Inet server. Is this a limitati...

Maximum cache size SQLAnywhere 5.5.04 (or 6.x)
Where is the limit for maximum cache size for SQLAnywhere 5.5.04 (or 6.x). How much memory can be handled from 4GB RAM on Windows NT Enterprise Edition (dedicated application server). Daniel Kohli I recall hearing something about there being a limit to the amount of RAM that Win NT applications can address. I thought it was 4 GB but maybe that was an OS limitation and the Enterprise version of NT increased that. -- Jim Egan [TeamSybase] Houston, TX On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 20:30:57 -0500, eganjp@compuserve.com (Jim Egan) wrote: >I recall hearing something about there ...

Web resources about - Connecting to ASA 6 using 5.x DataSource - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Connecting rod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In a reciprocating piston engine , the connecting rod or conrod connects the piston to the crank or crankshaft . Together with the crank, they ...

COVER BOY: Dec. 15 Issue of ‘Time’ Features Mark Zuckerberg on Connecting the World
The cover of the Dec. 15 issue of Time features a familiar face — that of Facebook co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg , the star of a long feature ...

Connecting People to Brands and Products on Mobile
People come to Facebook not only to connect with friends and family but also with products and brands. Here's how we're making it easier to list ...

What stops users from connecting with an app through Facebook?
... This equals 850 million users who connect with apps using Facebook at a 59 percent conversion rate. About 590 million users back out of connecting ...

Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Cold Christmas Bubbles - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle for Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews. ...

Connecting a Relay to Arduino - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Simple circuit to connect a 5V relay to one of the digital output pins of the Arduino. I drew this after a few threads showed up on the Arduino ...

Evidence Connecting Scott Roeder to Operation Rescue Found in Roder's Car - YouTube
Rachel Maddow unveils video evidence from KMBC TV in Kansas City of a note found in Scott Roeder's car at the time of his arrest for the murder ...