Connect with Delphi

Does anyone know a way to get a native connection with Delphi to
SQL-AnyWhere 5.5?
ODBC is to slow and indexes, references cannot be seen.

Any comments will be appreciated

Frank Steinmann
FrankSteinmann@t-online.de

0
Steinmann

I believe the BDE is slow using ODBC.  People who use ODBCExpress
(www.odbcexpress.com) with SQL Anywhere say it is fast.

ODBCExpress is a VCL only way of accessing ODBC databases.

Hope this helps
Mike

0
Michael
10/9/1998 8:53:34 AM
Frank,

The only "Native" connection that I know of is through Titan's VCL
components.  These use API calls instead of ODBC.  I have experimented
with the components and the latest release looked great (and was very
fast) but I am thoroughly unimpressed with the company itself so did not
purchase.  You can find demo components at:
  http://www.reggatta.com

You may also look at ODBC98 (better company but still "new" components)
which is what I'm currently using.  It's faster than the BDE and the
author offers significantly better support.
  http://www.odbc98.com

Good luck!  Mike

Steinmann wrote:

> Does anyone know a way to get a native connection with Delphi to
> SQL-AnyWhere 5.5?
> ODBC is to slow and indexes, references cannot be seen.
0
Michael
10/9/1998 11:26:21 AM
What's a point using Titan with ASA 6 if everybody says that ODBC is ASA 6
native
interface?

I personally use BDE - ODBC connection. BDE allows me to use any ODBC
enabled database.

Sergey Nosov.

0
Wes
10/9/1998 12:28:07 PM
I could be wrong on this but I think the back door that Titan uses has been
discontinued in ASA 6.  If anyone can confirm this then please do so.
--
Jim Egan [TeamPS]
Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com

Michael Mount <nfr@srnet.com> wrote in article
<361DF2DD.CAABE093@srnet.com>...
> Frank,
>
> The only "Native" connection that I know of is through Titan's VCL
> components.  These use API calls instead of ODBC.  I have experimented
> with the components and the latest release looked great (and was very
> fast) but I am thoroughly unimpressed with the company itself so did not
> purchase.  You can find demo components at:
>   http://www.reggatta.com
>
> You may also look at ODBC98 (better company but still "new" components)
> which is what I'm currently using.  It's faster than the BDE and the
> author offers significantly better support.
>   http://www.odbc98.com
>
> Good luck!  Mike
>
> Steinmann wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone know a way to get a native connection with Delphi to
> > SQL-AnyWhere 5.5?
> > ODBC is to slow and indexes, references cannot be seen.

0
Jim
10/9/1998 2:13:32 PM
I think Titan was a bit faster than going through ODBC.  I personally don't
have a problem with it, but I go through PowerBuilder and it is a dream to
use.  It shields me from all the ODBC crap so I can concentrate on business
instead of database interaction.
--

Wes Jones <wesj@hotmail.com> wrote in article
<d3aogt789GA.300@forums.powersoft.com>...
> What's a point using Titan with ASA 6 if everybody says that ODBC is ASA
6
> native
> interface?
>
> I personally use BDE - ODBC connection. BDE allows me to use any ODBC
> enabled database.
>
> Sergey Nosov.

0
Jim
10/9/1998 8:26:22 PM
As far as ODBC goes, I think a better solution is to go against ASA 6,
since it's native API is now ODBC 3.  If you are set on 5.5, though,
ODBC performance is still excellent.  The BDE does nothing but
get in the way, so a toolkit like OdbcExpress or ODBC98 would
serve you well.  OdbcExpress is more expensive and slightly more
difficult to use, but provides *excellent* performance--ODBC98 is
a little more developer-friendly, but lacks support for transactions.

It also depends on what version of Delphi you're using.  We're using
Delphi 4, OdbcExpress 4.53, and ASA 6 and getting really good
results.

Thanks,
Rob Dickinson
Achieve Communications

Steinmann wrote in message ...
>Does anyone know a way to get a native connection with Delphi to
>SQL-AnyWhere 5.5?
>ODBC is to slow and indexes, references cannot be seen.
>
>Any comments will be appreciated
>
>Frank Steinmann
>FrankSteinmann@t-online.de

0
Rob
10/9/1998 9:35:20 PM
It's good that they shield you from that.  It makes it easier when
Microsoft decides to move to something else.  Which they appear to already
have done.  It just figures.  Once most programmers and vendors get
something figured out Microsoft has to go and change everything.
--

Sergey Nosov <nosov@fnmail.com> wrote in article
<tQycA8989GA.300@forums.powersoft.com>...
> Using BDE I do not have to program ODBC directly ether.
> I am using TQuery data set component and retrieve result
> set via TField objects. TDatabase  provide me control over
> transactions. Also I often use TDataSource control to work
> with fancy Data Aware components like Grids. I like Delphi
> because it provides me with flexibility of windows interface
> programming; custom made components make projects
> consistent.
>
> Sincerely,
> Sergey Nosov.
>
> Jim Egan wrote in message <01bdf3cc$777e0f30$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
> >I think Titan was a bit faster than going through ODBC.  I personally
don't
> >have a problem with it, but I go through PowerBuilder and it is a dream
> >use.  It shields me from all the ODBC crap so I can concentrate on
business
> >instead of database interaction.
> >--
> >Jim Egan [TeamPS]
> >Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com
> >Houston, TX

0
Jim
10/10/1998 12:11:50 AM
Using BDE I do not have to program ODBC directly ether.
I am using TQuery data set component and retrieve result
set via TField objects. TDatabase  provide me control over
transactions. Also I often use TDataSource control to work
with fancy Data Aware components like Grids. I like Delphi
because it provides me with flexibility of windows interface
programming; custom made components make projects
consistent.

Sincerely,
Sergey Nosov.

Jim Egan wrote in message <01bdf3cc$777e0f30$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
>I think Titan was a bit faster than going through ODBC.  I personally don't
>have a problem with it, but I go through PowerBuilder and it is a dream to
>use.  It shields me from all the ODBC crap so I can concentrate on business
>instead of database interaction.
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamPS]
>Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com
>Houston, TX

0
Sergey
10/10/1998 12:57:02 AM
Yes. That is really good.
Only one thing I am afraid of is that Inprise may die pretty soon.
And I do not think anyone would take over BDE because majority
of developers think of BDE as of a useless beast.

Sergey Nosov
nosov@fnmail.com

Jim Egan wrote in message <01bdf3eb$f5c58a70$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
>It's good that they shield you from that.  It makes it easier when
>Microsoft decides to move to something else.  Which they appear to already
>have done.  It just figures.  Once most programmers and vendors get
>something figured out Microsoft has to go and change everything.
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamPS]
>Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com
>Houston, TX

0
Sergey
10/10/1998 2:02:02 AM
I think rumors of Inprise's death have been greatly exaggerated.
--

<rPuJVg#89GA.300@forums.powersoft.com>...
> Yes. That is really good.
> Only one thing I am afraid of is that Inprise may die pretty soon.
> And I do not think anyone would take over BDE because majority
> of developers think of BDE as of a useless beast.
>
> Sergey Nosov
> nosov@fnmail.com
>
> Jim Egan wrote in message <01bdf3eb$f5c58a70$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
> >It's good that they shield you from that.  It makes it easier when
> >Microsoft decides to move to something else.  Which they appear to
already
> >have done.  It just figures.  Once most programmers and vendors get
> >something figured out Microsoft has to go and change everything.
> >--
> >Jim Egan [TeamPS]
> >Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com
> >Houston, TX

0
Jim
10/10/1998 12:23:11 PM
hey,

> Does anyone know a way to get a native connection with Delphi to
> SQL-AnyWhere 5.5?
> ODBC is to slow and indexes, references cannot be seen.

TITAN

you can find it on http://www.reggatta.com

ciao...patrick ulmer
0
Patrick
10/10/1998 12:59:34 PM
Comparing to Sybase, Inprise, as a company, performs pretty good :-)

Sergey Nosov.

Jim Egan wrote in message <01bdf452$1b197230$01aaaaaa@homeserver>...
>I think rumors of Inprise's death have been greatly exaggerated.
>--
>Jim Egan [TeamPS]
>Dynamic Data Solutions - http://www.dyn-data.com
>Houston, TX

0
Sergey

embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general
Hello! is the embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general forum working? Suddenly I can't post anything to it with Thunderbird Thanks! Sergio sergio wrote: > Hello! is the embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general forum > working? Suddenly I can't post anything to it with Thunderbird Works fine for me. -- Remy Lebeau (TeamB) On 27/02/2014 05:48 p.m., Remy Lebeau (TeamB) wrote: > sergio wrote: > >> Hello! is the embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general forum >> working? Suddenly I can't post anything to it wit...

What generals generally do

not connected when I am connected

delphi.general
Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can't read the group *embarcadero.public.delphi.language.delphi.general* Does anybody know if there's something wrong with it? Or maybe is my reader? (Thunderbird) I get this messagge when I try to read the latest messages: Error! newsgroup server responded:no such article found Perhaps the article has expired <692702@forums.embarcadero.com> (33145) Click here to remove all expired articles sergio wrote: > Sorry if this is "out of topic"! but since some days ago I can'...

Connecting to SQLAnyWhere
My application attempts to dynamically connect to the database name passed to it. On the first try, it fails with a message that the database could not be started (08001), but it DOES start the database, so the second attempt to connect is successful. I've written the connection function to compensate (attached) but it's kludgy to do it this way. Can anyone suggest where I went wrong in the registry entries? Thanks in advance. begin 666 f_connect.txt M+R\B0V]N;F5C='-T<FEN9STG1%-./7-H;W=M92<L0V]N;F5C=$]P=&EO;CTG M4U%,7T12259%4E]#3TY.14-4+%-13%]$4D...

Connect to SQLanywhere
In application when it starts, she prompt for user_id and password, and then pass them to sqlca.dbparm. If user type a wrong uid/pwd then Sqlanywhere driver popup a window "Connect to SQL Anywhere", to be enter a correct connection parameters. So, when a user type in this window a correct uid/pwd then the value returned in sqlca.sqlcode=-1, sqlca.sqldbcode=999, sqlca.sqlerrtext="An error occurred, yet no message was returned by the database driver.", but seeing SqlServer's connection screen, the user is connected. My question is how to disable this window or ...

Connecting to SQLAnywhere
I am using PowerBuilder 5.0 and when I try to connect to the database that has already been created it gives me an error: SQLSTATE=08004 [Sybase][ODBE Driver] Watcom SQL rejected connection:database's page size too big Does anyone know how to get rid of this error. Brenda Sounds like you already have a database engine started with a connection to a database. Then you are trying to switch to a different database that has a page size that is larger than the one the engine was started with. You'll need to either get both databases with the same page size or start th...

Delphi and SQLanywhere

SQLAnywhere connection
In the open event of my application, I read the parameters for SQLCA from an ini file. The parameters are .DBMS, .Database, .UserID, .DBPass and .DBParm. I am currently testing the connection to a SQLAnywhere database in my local drive. If I supply the correct parameters, the application runs ok. I created a trap which displays the error message when the contents of the ini file are invalid. When I change the the userid to an invalid one, a login window (Connect to SQLAnywhere) automatically appears. I have to either press ok or cancel before the messagebox I created pops out. H...

Connection Problem with SQLAnywhere unix client connection to server on another host
We are currently having a problem getting SQLAnywhere v7 on HP-UX to connect with a Sybase database on another machine (WinNT). I have been unable to find any previous threads with information that has solved our problem. We are currently on an evaluation version of SQLAnywhere for HP-UX and we will expire soon without one connection ever being made. We use SQLAnywhere v5 on Windows to connect to the database using the following command: dbclient -Z -x TCPIP{DOBROADCAST=NO; HOST=SOMEHOST} linksr with an ODBC data source with the following settings: Data source name: links...

SQLAnywhere 7 Connection
Is it possible to connect a SQL Anywhere 7 Database Server with one client license for multiple workstations? My idea is to install a server version with one client license. Then put the application program into this server and it will use the client license to connect to the server and login as "dba". Other workstations will share this application program and access the database through the established connection. Sam Chan How do you propose to share the connection? I assume that you are thinking of using an application server to share that connection. It may be be...

Delphi: Connected Users
Hi, How do I get a list of users that are connected to an InterBase database in Delphi? Can anyone help? Regards Sub Naik On 7/14/2011 7:24 AM, Sub Naik wrote: > Hi, > > How do I get a list of users that are connected to an InterBase database in > Delphi? I use MySQL instead of Interbase, but the principle would be the same. My database client app periodically updates a "sessions" table with various fields having to do with a user's DB session. I update the table every 30-60 seconds or so with: User ID Last ping time Login time Last ...

SQLAnywhere & Delphi
Hi. I have some questions about this product. (SQLAnywhere) 1) I mainly use W95 peer to peer, W95 standalone and W95 Client with Novell Server. Is SQLA really fast and stable is these configurations? 2) If I buy SQLA; Do I need to buy another interface product or I can use directly from Delphi 3? 3) Can I use SQLA with Delphi 1 (16 bits)? 4) How about the price scheme? Is there any kind of developer product or my clients need to buy a copy of SQLA? ( I'am a independent developer) Thanx in advance Hugo <hrm@peru.itete.com.pe> ...

Automate Connection to SQLAnywhere
To connect to SQL Anywhere in PB7, normally, I need to create an entry in ODBC's system or user DSN to link to the file. Can anyone tell me how to automate this process, that is, no need to setup ODBC DSN manually in control panel ? Thanks a lot. The ODBC information is stored in the registry. There are two keys under MyComputer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC: \ODBC.INI and \ODBCINST.INI. The DSN information is found in \ODBC.INI. On a machine where you have done the ODBC setup through the administrator, you can use the registry editor to export the key for the DSN you&#...

Web resources about - Connect with Delphi - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

First Capital Connect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( FCC ) is a British train operating company , owned by FirstGroup , operating the Thameslink Great Northern franchise . FCC operates passenger ...

Connect
mobile photography technology, culture and community www.dpreview.com News Reviews Features Phones Tablets Cameras Apps Forums Mobile photography ...

CloudCraze Connects Consumers To Facebook Brands Via Cloud Technology
Brands on Facebook are always looking for new, efficient ways to connect with customers . CloudCraze, which recently released its 3.0 e-commerce ...

IFTTT gains support for Honeywell Total Connect Comfort with new channel
... creative ideas to make this even better and one of those is home automation. With that in mind, IFTTT is unveiling its Honeywell Total Connect ...

Hillary Clinton connects with Latina voters - Business Insider Deutschland
Clinton is building a targeted campaign infrastructure aimed at Latinas.

Crave giveaway: 128GB SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick
Win a $99.99 compact storage device for the mobile era that has its own Wi-Fi network built right in. Can't beat that for a Black Friday deal. ...

Google Search Connects Trump To Hitler
Searching for Trump's book suggests Mein Kampf as related search

Salesforce Connect Improves Data Integration for Enterprise Apps
Salesforce has renamed and updated its Lightning Connect services to help users access and manage data in external enterprise apps.

Which Comic Mini-Series Connect To The Force Awakens? A Handy Guide For Star Wars Fans
There are lots of new Star Wars comics out this year. Which ones offer important background for Star Wars: The Force Awakens?

2-1-1 activated to connect families in area of Colorado Springs shooting incident
City of Colorado Springs officials encourage anyone sheltering in place during the active shooter incident near Centennial Boulevard and Fillmore ...