Connect to remote db with same name as local db

We have a db server running locally that has the same name
as one we want to connect to remotely over our WAN.
According to online help; "By default, the SQL Anywhere
Client tries to use a local Named Pipe or Windows link first
(if applicable), followed by IPX, TCP/IP, NetBIOS" etc.

Is there a way to turn off named pipes or specify the
communication search sequence?

Here's an example of what we're using that doesn't work;
dbclient -x tcpip{dobroadcast=no;host=sademo;myip=none}

thanks,
Mark Libner
mlibner@security-finance.com
0
Mark

First, please always state what version and build number of
SQLAnywhere you are using?

Have you tried specifying links=tcpip{host=<host>;dobroadcast=no}
in your connnection string (where <host> is the ip or name of the
computer running your remote server?
--
Mark Culp
SQLAnywhere Research and Development

Mark, Libner wrote:

> We have a db server running locally that has the same name
> as one we want to connect to remotely over our WAN.
> According to online help; "By default, the SQL Anywhere
> Client tries to use a local Named Pipe or Windows link first
> (if applicable), followed by IPX, TCP/IP, NetBIOS" etc.
>
> Is there a way to turn off named pipes or specify the
> communication search sequence?
>
> Here's an example of what we're using that doesn't work;
> dbclient -x tcpip{dobroadcast=no;host=sademo;myip=none}
>
> thanks,
> Mark Libner
> mlibner@security-finance.com
0
Mark
10/14/2005 12:22:39 PM
Mark Libner wrote:
> We have a db server running locally that has the same name
> as one we want to connect to remotely over our WAN.
> According to online help; "By default, the SQL Anywhere
> Client tries to use a local Named Pipe or Windows link first
> (if applicable), followed by IPX, TCP/IP, NetBIOS" etc.
>
> Is there a way to turn off named pipes or specify the
> communication search sequence?
>
> Here's an example of what we're using that doesn't work;
> dbclient -x tcpip{dobroadcast=no;host=sademo;myip=none}
>
> thanks,
> Mark Libner
> mlibner@security-finance.com

It looks like you're using version 5 (since dbclient doesn't exist in
version 6 and up), in which case the answer is no. The verison 5 client
always tries local links before remote links. This is (partially) why we
suggest not having more than one engine with the same engine name.

--
Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer

Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/
0
Graeme

remote db process as local on the same db server
Add optimisation to queries that uses remote tables from different databases that all driven by the same dbserver. It will be great if remote tables from different locally running databases will be accessed as fast as local tables from one database like it's done in ASE and MSSQL. ...

can't make remote db connection specifying UNC path to remote db in DSN
I'm using ASA v6.00.04.3594 in a Win2k environment. I cannot build a successful DSN to a sybase db on another machine on the same network unless I do it thru a mapped drive. I'm using the ODBC Configuration Utility. Here are my settings in the Database and Network tabs (other tabs are defaults and dba login is specified). Database Tab: Server Name: <remotebox> Start Line: <blank> Database Name: <db_name> Database File: <unc path & db_name.db> (e.g. \\remotebox\dir\db_name.db ) Network Tab: TCP/IP is checked and specified the following in ...

DB-Remote Errors
Does anyone know what this error message actually means ?? Created/Extracted the Db, started the Db at the remote site and Db-Remote. Several Transactions syncronised and exchanged, I backed up the Remote database renaming the old transaction log. Stoped and restarted Db-Remote and got this message. Any Ideas Sybase SQL Anywhere Message Agent Version 5.5.00 Build #1073 Copyright by Sybase, Inc., and its subsidiaries, 1988, 1996. All rights reserved. Sybase is a trademark of Sybase, Inc. Processing transaction logs from directory "c:\agwcrsdb" Processing transactions f...

Local DB into ASA DB
HI Gurus, Is there any way I can convert my local ASA DB to network database, for example can I convert EASDEMODB.db into server database. I am using a local database for my application and I want to convert that DB to server DB. Thanks in Advance Vino Wrong newsgroup. I'll post it in sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general. Vinodh wrote: > HI Gurus, > > Is there any way I can convert my local ASA DB to network database, for > example can I convert EASDEMODB.db into server database. I am using a > local database for my application and I want to convert t...

Local DB into ASA DB
HI Gurus, Is there any way I can convert my local ASA DB to network database, for example can I convert EASDEMODB.db into server database. I am using a local database for my application and I want to convert that DB to server DB. Thanks in Advance Vino As posted in ASE newsgroup Vino What yo want to do in not dependent on the database file, but on the engine you use. Any database can be started up in two ways: For only local connection, use dbeng?.exe (? signifies ASA version) in your start line. For network connections, use dbsrv?.exe. Bart wrote: > H...

Local UL9 db with remote SQL anywhere 9 db causes errant results
I have two testbed applications to test connecting to a local UL9 database and a remote SQL anywhere 9 database at the same time. (No Mobilink or synchronization). I began with one application. The first thing that this app did was conncet to the local UL9 database. This worked fine. Then, initially, you could select a server from the list contained in the UL database, then connect to it remotely as an SQL anywhere 9 db. The error message I received was "DBMS ODBC is not supported in your current installation". I thought that this was due to missing files during the de...

connecting local oracle db from remote asp.net web page
hai all my client has oracle database on his local server and he wants to develop a website where his customers login to the site and read their current status and status changes in hrs. so, he wants a website which after login reads logged in customer data from his local oracle database and shows online on webpage. can anybody suggest me how can i implement this i will be very grate full to all of you and thanx in advance    Hi rahemeen, The database should allow remote connectivity and the ASP.NET web application is able to connect it remotely. Then the connection string ...

IIS7 Config
Hi, I have IIS7, Bus. Vista SP1, SQL 2005 SP2, classic asp and aspx type application. 1) I use Windows (Integrated) Authentication. Localhost and Local db for interacting.              Web.config: <authentication mode="Windows" />                                 <identity impersonate="true" /> 2) I am connecting to a db and getting time...

Connecting to a DB Server
I want to connect to a MS SQL Server (using dbExpress) - but I don't want to connect to a particular database right away. Basically I want to connect to the database - get a list of the databases - filter it - and then let the user choose which DB to connect to. I could connect to something like the Master DB - and then run the query to get the list of DBs - but I was wondering how others do this? Bradley Hi Bradley, when you connect to a SQL Server without choosing a database you automaticly connect to the master database. to get the databses from the server you...

connect a db different from the standard db
After connecting to the SQL Anywhere Server (5.5.00, OS: NT) from PB (5.0.2 OS: MacOS/PowerMac DBMS: sql server 4.x; via OpenClient 10.0.4) only the tables of the standard-database are available) But how can i connect to a different db ? The "Connect to database.." that works fine with the NT-isql-tool, has no effect with the macOS-isql-tool !? And how to switch connection within a pb-script? Michael Siek michel.siek@on-line.de Michael Siek wrote: > > After connecting to the SQL Anywhere Server (5.5.00, OS: NT) from > PB (5.0.2 OS: MacOS/PowerMac DBMS...

How to connect Sql DB and Oracle DB?
Hi guys, how can i make my sql database read and store data from Oracle db?because my system reads data from sql database.. but some data need to be read from oracle and stored in sql database so the system can retrieve them from the sql database.. can anyone help me in this case? i don't know how to connect 2 different databases ... ASP.NET/VB.NET Regards,Nina@~ Why Would We Hurt Each Other, When LOVE is All We Need ~@ You create Linked Server to connect both systems, run a search for sp_linkedservers and  sp_addlinkedserver  in SQL Server BOL (books online). Hope ...

Changing a remote db to the consolidated db
I have a client that had a hardware failure on the server taking down the consolidated db and one of the remote dbs. The current consolidated db gives me the following error when I try to start it: Internal database error *** ERROR *** Assertion failed 201425(9.0.2.3044) Invalid count or free space offset detected on a free list page -- transaction rolled back I took the prior nights backup and applied the current log to it using -a. The db will start but fails validation with the following error: Validating table: DBA.Job [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere]Inte...

Problem connecting 2 db's from the same machine, 1 db is in a NT Server the other db is in Novell...
Hi!!! I'm using SQL Anywhere 5.5.04 Build #1867 I have one database in a NT Server. Another database is in Novell. From the same computer I'm trying to connect to both databases. I can connect to one and each database pretty well. If, I try to open both databases I can't. These are the ODBC settings: I'm using dbclient.exe -x tcpip to connect to the NT server database. I'm using dbclient.exe -x ipx to connect to Novell server database. It is possible to connect to this databases from the same machine??? Let me know If I need to provide you with more...

How to connect remote DB
If I already know that: Domain: DM1 Server: SV1 Database: DB user: u1 password: p1 How to connect to DB by Enterprise Manager ? Take a look at your other post. I answered it there. http://forums.asp.net/1153624/ShowPost.aspxRyan OlshanASPInsider | Microsoft MVP, ASP.NEThttp://ryanolshan.comHow to ask a question...

Web resources about - Connect to remote db with same name as local db - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

First Capital Connect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
( FCC ) is a British train operating company , owned by FirstGroup , operating the Thameslink Great Northern franchise . FCC operates passenger ...

Connect
mobile photography technology, culture and community www.dpreview.com News Reviews Features Phones Tablets Cameras Apps Forums Mobile photography ...

CloudCraze Connects Consumers To Facebook Brands Via Cloud Technology
Brands on Facebook are always looking for new, efficient ways to connect with customers . CloudCraze, which recently released its 3.0 e-commerce ...

IFTTT gains support for Honeywell Total Connect Comfort with new channel
... creative ideas to make this even better and one of those is home automation. With that in mind, IFTTT is unveiling its Honeywell Total Connect ...

Hillary Clinton connects with Latina voters - Business Insider Deutschland
Clinton is building a targeted campaign infrastructure aimed at Latinas.

Crave giveaway: 128GB SanDisk Connect Wireless Stick
Win a $99.99 compact storage device for the mobile era that has its own Wi-Fi network built right in. Can't beat that for a Black Friday deal. ...

Google Search Connects Trump To Hitler
Searching for Trump's book suggests Mein Kampf as related search

Salesforce Connect Improves Data Integration for Enterprise Apps
Salesforce has renamed and updated its Lightning Connect services to help users access and manage data in external enterprise apps.

Which Comic Mini-Series Connect To The Force Awakens? A Handy Guide For Star Wars Fans
There are lots of new Star Wars comics out this year. Which ones offer important background for Star Wars: The Force Awakens?

2-1-1 activated to connect families in area of Colorado Springs shooting incident
City of Colorado Springs officials encourage anyone sheltering in place during the active shooter incident near Centennial Boulevard and Fillmore ...