C-style new line characters

v10.01

I updated a table in ISQL and in my app along the lines of

UPDATE "people" SET "col"='abc\nmo' etc

then "select cast(col as binary) etc" gives

[97, 98, 99, 10, 109, 111] - i.e. the \n was changed to new line character

While
UPDATE "people" SET "col"='abc\nmo\t12\r34' ...;

gives

abc
mo\t12\r34

The tab and carriage return are not interprted C-style; just the \n. So why
is the \n? When did this happen? Why does this happen? Can I turn this
behaviour off ? Yes I can escape it with another \ but that doesn't really
help at this stage. When did the DB start talking C?

Thanks
Clive

0
Clive

Clive,

The \n being a newline in char literals is the behavior of SQL Anywhere =
at  =

least since version 5. I am not aware of an option or something like thi=
s  =

to switch this behavior off.

Maybe it would be worth to ask for a connetion option to switch this off=
  =

in a future version of SQL Anywhere in the  =

sybase.public.sqlanywhere.product_futures_discussion newsgroup?
Or, thinking about this a moment, it might be another possibility to ado=
pt  =

the C# verbatim string syntax in a future SQL Anywhere version and use  =

something like @'abc\nmo' to get the same result as 'abc\\nmo' currently=
..  =

This would at least be much easier to read and write for Windows path  =

names in strings.

Frank

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:17:41 +0200, Clive Collie  =

<clive_doesnt_like_spam@dillistone.com> wrote:

> v10.01
>
> I updated a table in ISQL and in my app along the lines of
>
> UPDATE "people" SET "col"=3D'abc\nmo' etc
>
> then "select cast(col as binary) etc" gives
>
> [97, 98, 99, 10, 109, 111] - i.e. the \n was changed to new line  =

> character
>
> While
> UPDATE "people" SET "col"=3D'abc\nmo\t12\r34' ...;
>
> gives
>
> abc
> mo\t12\r34
>
> The tab and carriage return are not interprted C-style; just the \n. S=
o  =

> why
> is the \n? When did this happen? Why does this happen? Can I turn this=

> behaviour off ? Yes I can escape it with another \ but that doesn't  =

> really
> help at this stage. When did the DB start talking C?
>
> Thanks
> Clive

0
Frank
4/29/2008 9:21:15 AM
Just to add:

The 10.0.1 docs are not very clear with string literals and escapes (IMHO):
They list and explain the following char(s) as examples that are treated
specially but do not state if the list is complete. But according to Breck's
book the list *is* complete:
* \n as new line (but not \N)
* \xNN and \XNN as hex values
* \\ as backslash
* '' as single quote

Note that this list differs from C-string escapes.

I agree that now and then this special treatment of '\n' comes as a
surprise. Struggling with doubled backslashes and quotes seems more familiar
:)

Volker

"Frank Ploessel" <fpl...@d_e.i_m_s_h_e_a_l_t_h.c_o_m> wrote in
Clive,

The \n being a newline in char literals is the behavior of SQL Anywhere at
least since version 5. I am not aware of an option or something like this
to switch this behavior off.

Maybe it would be worth to ask for a connetion option to switch this off
in a future version of SQL Anywhere in the
sybase.public.sqlanywhere.product_futures_discussion newsgroup?
Or, thinking about this a moment, it might be another possibility to adopt
the C# verbatim string syntax in a future SQL Anywhere version and use
something like @'abc\nmo' to get the same result as 'abc\\nmo' currently.
This would at least be much easier to read and write for Windows path
names in strings.

Frank

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:17:41 +0200, Clive Collie
<clive_doesnt_like_spam@dillistone.com> wrote:

> v10.01
>
> I updated a table in ISQL and in my app along the lines of
>
> UPDATE "people" SET "col"='abc\nmo' etc
>
> then "select cast(col as binary) etc" gives
>
> [97, 98, 99, 10, 109, 111] - i.e. the \n was changed to new line
> character
>
> While
> UPDATE "people" SET "col"='abc\nmo\t12\r34' ...;
>
> gives
>
> abc
> mo\t12\r34
>
> The tab and carriage return are not interprted C-style; just the \n. So
> why
> is the \n? When did this happen? Why does this happen? Can I turn this
> behaviour off ? Yes I can escape it with another \ but that doesn't
> really
> help at this stage. When did the DB start talking C?
>
> Thanks
> Clive

0
Volker
4/29/2008 10:32:34 AM
You a right about it being a surprise. I have been using the DB from 5 with
Powerbuilder for years and never noticed. I was wondering if typing \n into
a PB front end was somehow masking the problem in the depths of PB
somewhere. If not how have I been so asleep for so many years?

Or was there perhaps some setting somewhere that sorted out the problem that
is no longer present or that I have removed by accident.

Clive.

"Volker Barth" <No_VBarth@Spam_GLOBAL-FINANZ.de> wrote in message
> Just to add:
>
> The 10.0.1 docs are not very clear with string literals and escapes
> (IMHO):
> They list and explain the following char(s) as examples that are treated
> specially but do not state if the list is complete. But according to
> Breck's
> book the list *is* complete:
> * \n as new line (but not \N)
> * \xNN and \XNN as hex values
> * \\ as backslash
> * '' as single quote
>
> Note that this list differs from C-string escapes.
>
> I agree that now and then this special treatment of '\n' comes as a
> surprise. Struggling with doubled backslashes and quotes seems more
> familiar
> :)
>
> Volker
>
> "Frank Ploessel" <fpl...@d_e.i_m_s_h_e_a_l_t_h.c_o_m> wrote in
> Clive,
>
> The \n being a newline in char literals is the behavior of SQL Anywhere at
> least since version 5. I am not aware of an option or something like this
> to switch this behavior off.
>
> Maybe it would be worth to ask for a connetion option to switch this off
> in a future version of SQL Anywhere in the
> sybase.public.sqlanywhere.product_futures_discussion newsgroup?
> Or, thinking about this a moment, it might be another possibility to adopt
> the C# verbatim string syntax in a future SQL Anywhere version and use
> something like @'abc\nmo' to get the same result as 'abc\\nmo' currently.
> This would at least be much easier to read and write for Windows path
> names in strings.
>
> Frank
>

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:17:41 +0200, Clive Collie
> <clive_doesnt_like_spam@dillistone.com> wrote:
>
>> v10.01
>>
>> I updated a table in ISQL and in my app along the lines of
>>
>> UPDATE "people" SET "col"='abc\nmo' etc
>>
>> then "select cast(col as binary) etc" gives
>>
>> [97, 98, 99, 10, 109, 111] - i.e. the \n was changed to new line
>> character
>>
>> While
>> UPDATE "people" SET "col"='abc\nmo\t12\r34' ...;
>>
>> gives
>>
>> abc
>> mo\t12\r34
>>
>> The tab and carriage return are not interprted C-style; just the \n. So
>> why
>> is the \n? When did this happen? Why does this happen? Can I turn this
>> behaviour off ? Yes I can escape it with another \ but that doesn't
>> really
>> help at this stage. When did the DB start talking C?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Clive

0
Clive
4/29/2008 1:45:37 PM
Hello,

Actually, what I came across with a colleague just today was that  =

appearantly ASA 10.0.1 seems to interpret the \n notation even within ho=
st  =

variables via ODBC which I think was not the case in earlier releases.

So, executing

UPDATE "people" SET "col"=3D'abc\nmo'

was interpreting the \n as newline in old and new versions, while  =

executing from PowerBuilder via ODBC

STRING ls_val
ls_val =3D 'abc\nmo'
UPDATE "people" SET "col"=3D:ls_val;

was interpreting the \n as a backslash followed by a character n in  =

previous versions. And this seems to have changed in a recent version (w=
e  =

are using 10.0.1.3662).

Frank

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 15:45:37 +0200, Clive Collie  =

> [...]

>>> I updated a table in ISQL and in my app along the lines of
>>>
>>> UPDATE "people" SET "col"=3D'abc\nmo' etc
>>>
>>> then "select cast(col as binary) etc" gives
>>>
>>> [97, 98, 99, 10, 109, 111] - i.e. the \n was changed to new line
>>> character
>>>
>>> While
>>> UPDATE "people" SET "col"=3D'abc\nmo\t12\r34' ...;
>>>
>>> gives
>>>
>>> abc
>>> mo\t12\r34
>>>
>>> The tab and carriage return are not interprted C-style; just the \n.=
 So
>>> why
>>> is the \n? When did this happen? Why does this happen? Can I turn th=
is
>>> behaviour off ? Yes I can escape it with another \ but that doesn't
>>> really
>>> help at this stage. When did the DB start talking C?

0
Frank
4/29/2008 4:34:32 PM
Check the PowerBuilder DisableBind setting; it should be 0 to ensure that
host variables are used. (Disclaimer: I'm not a PB user.)

If that doesn't solve the problem, enable request logging on the server and
determine if the value is being sent as a host variable or as a string
literal. If it is being sent as a string literal, the translation of \n to a
newline character is expected, and there must be some other PB setting to
control this behavior.

SQL Anywhere Developer Community:
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Blog Center: http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs

"Frank Ploessel" <fpl...@d_e.i_m_s_h_e_a_l_t_h.c_o_m> wrote in message
Hello,

Actually, what I came across with a colleague just today was that
appearantly ASA 10.0.1 seems to interpret the \n notation even within host
variables via ODBC which I think was not the case in earlier releases.

So, executing

UPDATE "people" SET "col"='abc\nmo'

was interpreting the \n as newline in old and new versions, while
executing from PowerBuilder via ODBC

STRING ls_val
ls_val = 'abc\nmo'
UPDATE "people" SET "col"=:ls_val;

> [...]

>> <clive_doesnt_like_spam@dillistone.com> wrote:
>>
>>> v10.01
>>>
>>> I updated a table in ISQL and in my app along the lines of
>>>
>>> UPDATE "people" SET "col"='abc\nmo' etc
>>>
>>> then "select cast(col as binary) etc" gives
>>>
>>> [97, 98, 99, 10, 109, 111] - i.e. the \n was changed to new line
>>> character
>>>
>>> While
>>> UPDATE "people" SET "col"='abc\nmo\t12\r34' ...;
>>>
>>> gives
>>>
>>> abc
>>> mo\t12\r34
>>>
>>> The tab and carriage return are not interprted C-style; just the \n. So
>>> why
>>> is the \n? When did this happen? Why does this happen? Can I turn this
>>> behaviour off ? Yes I can escape it with another \ but that doesn't
>>> really
>>> help at this stage. When did the DB start talking C?

0
Bruce
4/29/2008 6:11:07 PM
Bruce,

Good point, this may well be the case.

Frank

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 20:11:07 +0200, Bruce Hay  =

<h_a_y~a_t~i_a_n_y_w_h_e_r_e~d_o_t~c_o_m> wrote:

> [...]

ere
>>> at
>>> least since version 5. I am not aware of an option or something like=

>>> this
>>> to switch this behavior off.
>>>
>>> Maybe it would be worth to ask for a connetion option to switch this=
  =

>>> off
>>> in a future version of SQL Anywhere in the
>>> sybase.public.sqlanywhere.product_futures_discussion newsgroup?
>>> Or, thinking about this a moment, it might be another possibility to=

>>> adopt
>>> the C# verbatim string syntax in a future SQL Anywhere version and u=
se
>>> something like @'abc\nmo' to get the same result as 'abc\\nmo'
>>> currently.
>>> This would at least be much easier to read and write for Windows pat=

0
Frank

new line character C# for textbox as well as label
Hi All, how do I show newline breakline in textbox as well as label in C# strictly for example: label1.text = "firstSentence<bR>Second sentence" resuls good with new line after "first sentence" textbox1.text="firstSentence<bR>Second sentence" shows as it is with "<br>" tag in it. In c# i used System.Environment.Newline lable1.text="firstSentence" + System.Environment.Newline + "secondsentence" results in firstsentence secondsentnece. Textbox1.text="firstSentence" + System.Environment.Newline + "secondsentence" results in firstsentence secondsentece......which is...

How to force a new line to keep one line only have 10 characters?
For example, user may input text as below: AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCC But to make it as: AAAAAAAAAA BBBBBBBBBB CCCCCCCCCC string wholeLine = "AAAAAAAAAABBBBBBBBBBCCCCCCCCCC";List<string> lines = new List<string>();while ( wholeline.Length > 0){    if (wholeline.length >= 10)    {        lines.Add( wholeline.Substring(0, 10);        wholeline = wholeline.Substring (10);    }    else    {       &nb...

new line character
Is there a way to insert a "new line/carriage control" in a varchar column? <Ctrl><Enter> keys work with a text column but just tabs to next control on a varchar column. Tried ~r~n but that just stores/prints the text ~r~n. Seems that <ctrl><enter> used to work in the app. PB 7.02 9028 You can use char(10) + char(13) to get the cr/lf -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Please state PB / OS / DB versions in your post. MySybase http://my.sybase.com/mysybase Search Deja: http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/search.asp <Mike> wrote in message...

New Line Character
i using mysql connect to database and found data like "abcde fgh" how to convert this string from two line into one line? and result become "abcdefgh"  hello friend, suppose your string is called myString= "abcde fgh" and then use myString.Replace(System.Enviornment.NewLine,"") hope it helps, Jessica  Jessica CaoSincerely,Microsoft Online Community Support“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other comm...

C# if || and new line
I have done this many times in VB and once in C# and can't find where I did it in C#, so, here it is.In VB, an if statement may get long, well, off your viewing page because the strings are long, so, it is broken down into a new line.For instance in VB.... If i = 1 _ Or i = 2 _ Or i = 3 Then 'do something End IfI have found the need for this in C# and just can't remember the syntax for it and can't find where I did it before.if(i == 1 || i == 2 ||  i == 3)But placing each new or on a new line.Tried the conversion sites with no luck.Suggestions?Thanks all,Zath Your looking to put ...

New line character
I am writing code (VS2008/C#) that reads text file and passes the file data to SQL Server Procedure. I am reading data of file in StreamReader and passing as Input Parameter to procedure. I need to pass the New Line character also to the procedure. 1. The New Line character can be chr(13) & chr(10) or only chr(10). How to check this in C#?2. How to pass New Line character to SQL Procedure? Thanks    Try using Environment.NewLine Hanan Schwartzberg--------------------http://www.lionsden.co.il Environment.NewLine returns the new line defined in the environment. I nee...

C# How to insert new line into multi-line textbox? '\n' doesn't work!
There are plenty of places that tell you how to do this in a Windows Textbox, but not in the .net textbox. Not only does '\n' not work, but neither does '\r\n', or Environment.NewLine Lets say that I want to return a number of email addresses from a databases, and foreach record set the email address as a new line in the textbox. Can anybody help?MCAD You may try this: String mssage = "This is first one\n" ; mssage+= "This is second one\n"; mssage+="This is third one"; TextBox1.Text = mssage; This po...

New Line Character(s)
Greetings. I've got some Perl code that's inserting data into a MySQL, which is later being read & displayed by MS Access. I'm constructing a note, and I'm using: \n for new lines - to break up paragraphs. However, in Access, these \n characters appear as little boxes instead of new lines. What should I use to get Access to display a new line? -- Daniel Kasak IT Developer NUS Consulting Group Level 5, 77 Pacific Highway North Sydney, NSW, Australia 2060 T: (+61) 2 9922-7676 / F: (+61) 2 9922 7989 email: dkasak@nusconsulting.com.au website: http:...

New line character in XML
HI Friends, I am in a deep trouble. If u help me in this issue, it will be greatful. Requirement is as below. I am having a grid which will be bind to a datatable. i will have to show tooltips on the column headers of this gridview. I have an XML file which contains the content for these tooltips. i have written a method which takes a string as a parameter, which is the column name of the gridview. Based on this string that we have passed, the method will pick the content for the tooltip from the XML file and display. But i have a problem here. Here the content of the tooltip can ...

C# New line in textbox
In VB, this was easy, but as stated earlier, one language is not enough for me...... In VB, to get a new line in a textbox programically, I would use VBCR. I have three strings. Lets's say x, y, and z. After x prints in a textbox, I want a new line, then y, new line, then z. I have searched MSDN and can't find this simple solution. Thanks all, Zath (And yes, I want a textbox) > In VB, to get a new line in a textbox programically, I would use VBCR. In both C# and VB.NET it's now System.Environment.NewLineAlister thanks, and also good to know that it works in...

new line in C# code
Hello, I wrote a message and it is too long. I want to make it to line one below the other. This is my code. I am working on C#. this.lblMessage.Text="This Broker Name already exist."+"\r"+"Please use another Broker Name or search for Existing Broker."; It does not work. I would like the text appear this way. This Broker Name already exist. Please use another Broker Name or search for Existing Broker. Can someone help meguarumal Hi, if you want to display it in a webform you need to use html. So instead of the \r you insert <br/>. Also something else: instead of using \r when ...

how to skip new line character
------=_NextPart_000_0015_01C49666.30D23690 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi All As a beginner in PERL, I wrote a small program which reads data from the = file and stores in an array. In that process i wanted to skip the new = line character... for ex: In my program say "a.txt" contains man pan tan In the program open INPUT,"a.txt" or die $!; my @file =3D <INPUT>; when I print the file, I could see $file[2] and $file[4] has only new = line character... So while...

new line character in the validation
Hi, I have a radiobuttonlist repeatdirection horizontally, and I have a requirefieldvalitor against this field with *. However, when the user miss the field and a red * is outputed, but it goes to the next line. I want them to be on the same line. How can I do that? Thanks. post some code? There may not be enough space on the line for it to go there so it automatically goes to the next line Actually there are still a lot of space on the line. here's the code.  <asp:RadioButtonList ID="GenderSelect" runat="server" RepeatDirection="Horizontal" ...

New DWGrid Line Style
Hi all, How abt adding different grid line style like (Dotted, doubleline,dashed etc...). This will allow us to create good interface, But PB doesn't gives much flexibility . Ofcourse we can manually add lines and create dotted grid but that is to lengthy and even line property does not give proper dottted style as we can see in Word,Excel. ...

Web resources about - C-style new line characters - sybase.sqlanywhere.general

Dilbert (character) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dilbert is a fictional character and the main character and protagonist of the Dilbert comic strip . He is a white collar office worker who has ...

How Will a 10,000-Character Limit Change Twitter Marketing?
... returning as CEO and some notable layoffs — Twitter is poised to make one of its most drastic changes yet, expanding the infamous 140 character ...

Twitter’s rumored character limit increase takes a page out of Facebook’s playbook
... for the popular microblogging service. Dorsey's comments followed a Re/Code report suggesting that Twitter may consider upping its 140-character ...

Rocky: Trump ‘Larger Than Life,’ ‘Dickensian Character’
During a recent interview with Variety, Sylvester Stallone said he thinks Republican frontrunner Donald Trump is of a rare breed of people who ...

This is what favorite Pixar characters looked like before they hit the big screen
... exhibit at the Cooper Hewitt Museum in Manhattan called "Pixar: The Design of Story" shows off some of the most beloved Pixar films and characters ...

Major Marvel Character To Be Killed Off In Civil War II
To the surprise of basically no one, Marvel Comics plans to kill off what's described as a "major" Marvel superhero in the forthcoming event ...

Barbara Allyne Bennet Dies: Veteran Character Actress Was 76
Barbara Allyne Bennet , a veteran character actress and former SAG board member, has died January 9. She was 76. A Cleveland native, Bennet moved ...

Beautiful Calvin And Hobbes Style Star Wars Characters
NOTE: One of the comics contains a Force Awakens spoiler in case you haven't seen the movie yet. You can see that one HERE . I was shocked. This ...

Cheeky Cartoonist Reveals the Secret Double Lives of Iconic Characters
We all know that there are archetypes in fiction that seem to pop up again and again. But sometimes, characters seem a little too similar to ...

Put Your Head On Your Favorite Lego Character: Company Creates Custom Lego Heads Using 3D Printer
Funky3DFaces uses 3D printing technology to give Lego fans the chance to put their own face on their favorite Lego character. The company creates ...